Story in tomorrows Star on Sunday

Saint_Donovan

How many promotions has Redknapp overseen ? Judging NAs PL career, on two games, is a wee bit premature.

I think the whole comparison is a bit daft. Judge them when NA has been around as long as Redknapp. Redknapp is old school (and allegedly bent), Adkins is very much on the pulse of the modern game.

The judgement is on two games because he's played two games and the newspaper story has come out today, and the news story is about him being replaced.

I'm not judging Adkins anyway. Today, right now, Redknapp represents a higher calibre of manager for that journalist for the purposes of this newspaper article.

And, anyway, trying to make out Adkins has somehow been more successful than Redknapp is utterly futile. Redknapp has achieved a hell of a lot more than Adkins has.

Let's not forget you have already written off our new look team - it lacks pace, we shouldn't have got rid of Sharp, etc etc - before they've kicked a ball. So leave off the "wee bit premature" stuff.

Arry is a class A cu.nt but you cannot deny that he gets his teams playing excellent football & stranger things have happened.

One thing is certain & that is NA is under enormous pressure to perform.

I genuinely wouldn't be shocked if he was gone by the end of September.

Agree with the last 2 statements, NA has been given 30 big ones to do his bidding and now must demonstrate results.

But I simply cannot see NC with his European perspective overlooking all the great managerial prospects in Italy, Spain, etc. and thinking "Redknapp is the one" and turning a blind eye to all the business baggage that comes with him when it is so anathema to how he himself works.

Why hasnt Redknapp already walked into another job ? Could it be this time hes not exactly inundated with offers ?

He does, of that there is no doubt.

And there are many people on here saying they would turn their back on the club who would be first in the queue if under Redknapp we were playing at the Camp Nou...

However, Cortese won't appoint him in a million years.

Hes' more likely to go for Guardiola.

The man has ambition beyond the likes of Redknapp.

Absolutley right. Guardiola, or a slightly cheaper, slightly more realistic Guardiola. I hear Roberto Donadoni is in the frame.

NC would have the brass balls to approach pep guardiola too

Never ever happen

I love nigel :-(

DD, don't bank on it. This guy has ambition. If I had told you that Saints would spend £30m in a transfer window (even back when we finished 8th under WGS), you would have called me mental...

Even now, I can scarce believe we have bought a £15m footballer...

DD, don't bank on it. This guy has ambition. If I had told you that Saints would spend £30m in a transfer window (even back when we finished 8th under WGS), you would have called me mental...

Even now, I can scarce believe we have bought a £15m footballer...

Yeah, this.

Still having trouble with it, tbh.

I could have accepted Hoddle back - eventuallt - but Harry Redknapp never!

The worst manager Saints! have ever had - even worse so than Branfoot!

This is the man that took us down - that's gave the thumbs up to Pompey fans as our manger having just seems his Saints team beaten.

A man that represents all that is wrong with football!!!!

If he ever becomes our manager again I would just give up on Saints - my season ticket would just stay unused.

I honestly believe our next manager will be Pep the ex Barca man.

You saw it hear first ;-)

After our dealings in the window I wouldn't rule anything out.

When you spend $20 million+ on upgrading the squad, probably with more to come in January because we missed out on some targets, a top-priced manager isn't that big a deal.

Especially if you've been very public about wanting style as well as results.

Does Harry Redknapp "represent a higher calibre of manager?" Yes. He has won a major trophy and he took a famously underachieving big club to 4th, 5th, 4th, and a respectable run in the Champs League. And was the nation's choice for England manager.

So Harry Redknapp does represent a higher calibre of manager. Whether I like him, rate him, think he's good or think he's a caaant is immaterial. You can guess what I think of him.

Nigel Adkins has managed two games in the Premier League and lost them both, so at this point in time Harry "represents a higher calibre of manager".

Harry is a dinosaur, had his moments, knows how to pick a good team and would have been a good England manager. Everything about saints, as far as I can see, is progressive. To employ that muppet would not fit at all in anyway with the club. Maybe he will be the next QPR manager?

Story, what story - it's a guess, nothing more, nothing less - bloody worst sort of journalism ever....

SAINT HARRY

Redknapp set for St Mary's return

"Former Southampton boss Harry Redknapp will be offered the Saints job again if Nigel Adkins side struggle in the Premier League...."

Mind you they are correct, IF we do badly in the Premier League, HR and probably 10 other managers will be 'offered' Nigel's job - that's football. Can't see it being imminent though.

tempted to return the season tickets if that tosser came back. It would never ever be Harry's Red & White Army.

Me too, but the good thing is that it will never happen under Cortese. As mentioned on many threads this week, there is widespread ignorance from rival fans and journalists as to how we operate, the sort of values we have, and the direction we are going. There is a clear plan for this club, and we are ahead of the curve.

Yet another 'timely' attempt at a kick in the balls to Saints from the media just before a big game. Uncanny how the stories always crop up just before we play the mancs, scousers, spuds or other media-favourite clubs.

I'm sure IF Nigel does go at some point, NC will be aiming somewhat higher than that discredited dinosaur.

Tbh I hold no malice towards redknapp for his Pompey connections or his previous time at saints as I hold Lowe to account for all of our previous problems and the skate thing doesn't bother me.some of you need to grow up and stop throwing your season tickets out of your pram.

Let's start by saying I don't believe the story but the facts are if NA doesn't start to get results then he will be replaced,it doesn't matter if our first few games are are against man city,manu,arsenal etc all games are going to be just as difficult because the prem mentality is at every club and that is to stay in the premiership and we've got to do the same.

I think that Adkins is great and is a breathe of fresh air but that means nothing if we lose every game and get relegated,cortese has a plan and he has shown that he will do whatever it takes to keep that plan on course no matter how unpopular his decisions.......just look at pardew getting the boot and to a certain degree moving sharp on.

I like redknapp,he will get results,his man management is second to none but I'm not sure it's what we need if Adkins was shown the door but if it did happen I would welcome it and I think a lot of you 'I'm not going going if redknapp returns' brigade will look a bit silly if Harry does return and propels us up the league.

Perhaps as suggested on another thread,the club has been sold or is in the shop window and the liebherrs want to make it attractive as possible for potential buyers,and redknapp is certainly more marketable than Adkins.

Perhaps gaston is our departing present from the family.....who knows?

Personally I think it's just a bit of stirring from the media as they don't get much gossip from the clubs tight lips policy,they know Harry has a loose chin so would prefer it if he was in the hotseat so they could get their stories.

I see some short memory's on here and plenty of fans thinking with their hearts rather than their heads. Alan Pardrew's fate proves clearly enough that you should 'never say never' when it comes to Don Cortese and the unexpected demise of a manager. Remember a week or so ago when NA categorically denied that we were at all interested in Maya Yoshida, only for the very same player to sign a few days later? More than a tad embarrassing for any manager to be so publicly exposed as being entirely 'out of the loop' wouldn't you say? Don Cortese is running this club and if he wants to sack the manager he'll do so in a 'New York Minute' regardless of what fans think.

Tabloid Press speculation aside, I see no real reason to believe that Harry Redknapp is on his (unwelcome) way back here. I also see no real reason to believe that Nigel Adkins should sleep at all easily in his bed if this club doesn't start climbing the table - pretty damn quick.

If Adkins wants to shut the press up for a while then the best reply is to beat Manu today and then get something from the arsenal game.

Although both very good teams they are both in a transitional state at the moment so are ripe for a beating,the press won't like it but at least they will stop writing crap about us for a bit.

I dont care about Harr's Portsmouth connections, I dont even care that he came and left - those things hapen in football - and although i cant stand his self publicising and media friendly BS or the media love in for hi as a result, this is football and you can and should really only judge such move (and I believe its all made up by the way) on whether he is a decent manager or not, and whether he is honest and trustworthy

Those are the two key questions for me. On the integrity quetsion, well he has been found not guilty so from a legal perspective he has done nothing wrong - I would just hope that any chairman would read Tom Bowers 'Broken Dreams' in which Redknapp has a whole chapter to himself and his transfers and make up their own minds... enough said

So is he a good manager - will always divide opinion - Yes he took Portsmouth up and won them a cup - he also took an under achieving club like Spurs to the brink of the champions league and had the football gods been rewarding quality and entertainment over defensive pragmatism, Barca or Bayern would have prevailed and Spurs would have been in last weeks draw... so is he any good?

Well IMHO he has something obviously, but looking at that 'success' up against the volume of cash spent at both clubs, and you could argue that he HAD to succeed - the quality of players he had available to him meant any thing less and he would have been consider average at best... but the most telling in my book remians what he he failed to do with Saints. Forget the spending issue and the 90K. Ask yourself if teh squad he inherited that was 4th from bottom, with over half a season still to go was good enough to stay up? I believe it was - It was poorly motivated and in a rut, form was not great and we had injuries, but he should have bene able to motivate and do enough - yet his first words were ' they are not good enough to stay up' - hardly inspiring stuff and designed more to appeal to try and loosen purse strings and set up his 'excuse' than anything else - I simply believe that in the one time he was up against it and had to show his true motivational and coaching skills - he was found lacking - and if his heart was not really in it, he should have been professional enough not to take the job, or at least give it his all.

Its no surprise that when the media discuss his reputation and there whole clamour for 'Harry for England' - they conveniently left out his failure at Saints when glorifying his abilities.

So basically I just dont think he is good enough for us - Nige has been given his chance, but time waits for no man and the level of investment provided indicates that the 'plan' to establish ourselves and progress has been accelerated - Nige has the opportunity to show he is capable and in some ways he's a victim of his own success - had he spent an extra season building and learning in the CCC he may well be even better equiped, but now he has to show he can learn rapidly - and the pressure to succeed is rightly huge - you dont acheive you ambition unless you have the desire and drive - sadly the excuse that Nige is great and has huge potential (and IMHO will be a fricken great manager at the top level at some point), but is still learning is not one that can be used to justify no change should we be found wanting this eason - there is too much at stake - I think Nige is a fanatastic man, a great manager and if hearts were enough to succeeed and sentiment enough to keep you up then he would win hands down, but the reality is that sentiment wins no trophies, nor does it keep you in the premierleague - If NIge is not able to learn at a fast enough pace then I doubt we will see him beyond Christmas - and yes that will be sad. If the financila gap between [prem and CCC was not so great, then for smaller clubs like ourselves, keeping a manager long term would obviously be the best option, but we cant afford the luxury of waiting if he is not able to learn fast enough.

If that sad and difficult decsion is made though, I certainly dont want Redknapp here though- he's just not good enough....IMHO.

Journalist is a friend of Arry...As quite a few of the cretins are.:rolleyes:

Arry is DEFINITELY lined up for a job in London and is very close to happening.....So whatever he told Mr Paine ..is not the whole truth.:p.........Is Arry on a computer or texting course at the moment?

NC would not consider Arry boy in a million years.:)

Could you imagine NC being told by Arry.........I do all the transfer deals ..in and out and I am on 15%-50% :rolleyes: depending, if I get a player in to play or just to keep my hand in and my little dog a happy woof woof.;)

Even Wupert in his tracksuit, carrying his clip board..accompanied by Sir Clive Woodward is a better option:cry:

Maybe not.........Not even Twaddle..Pleeeeese.

WhEre is that tubby Scotsmen with his egg sarni plastered all over his shirt;)

Arry boy is still walking around London carrying his suitcase waiting for the next deal....journalists right up his ARRRRSE:scared:

Edited by ottery st mary
SPELLIN AND MORE POOR eNGLISE

Firstly the press cant get their heads round the fact their beloved Arry is out of work. For example deadline day did not seem quite the same without saggy chops winding down his car window and spouting ********. I also dont think the press are keen on Adkins solely because he does not provide newsworthy quotes. Just listen to that idiot Blackmore on Solent to get a taste of that.

A lot of the press are also disconcerted by the amount of money we have spent so they have to see an agenda somewhere and Im sure there is an attempt at de-stabilisation in there.

Anyway Cortese would never have a charlatan like Arry here. He will be well aware of Arrys "history" concerning financial dealings.

All genuine saints fans should should boycott daily star for this. Adkins should be given 1 full season in the prem - period. This is a very tough league, we have got promoted ahead of plan/schedule. Adkins is having to replace most of the team, I believe we will stay up, but I also believe fans will believe th hype in he papers mounting pressure on Adkins after we may lose to united today. Sad really

Harry will be at QPR by Christmas IMHO. If NC decides to replace NA it will be a young manager with a proven record who is willing to work within our structure. That would rule out Harry. That is why Spurs replaced Harry, their structure is similar to ours.

It wouldn't surprise me if he never got another job. I guess he has given a degree of commitment to the BBC...and he won't need the money and I doubt he wants the arseache of managing QPR, or Reading (they've got new owners too) or going back to WHU.

And he won't go above the M4 so his choice is pretty limited.

I think the only thing that would see HR back in work is Hodgson losing three in a row for Rio.

OK so where is Simon Peach today. Given he's in the game, I want to ask him a few questions about the Star's story writing policy. Is this a case of smoke without fire or does the Star indeed go around making things up? Where would Pratt have gleaned this from? Surely there can't be whispers eminating from within the club. NC would surely have a lock down, find the culprit and hoof him out which leaves just one possible source, NC himself.

The thing that had me thinking ****** was the use of the term 'board'. Is there one that decides on things at SMS? From what I can gather its practically a dictatorial state led by one man only.

OK so where is Simon Peach today. Given he's in the game, I want to ask him a few questions about the Star's story writing policy. Is this a case of smoke without fire or does the Star indeed go around making things up? Where would Pratt have gleaned this from? Surely there can't be whispers eminating from within the club. NC would surely have a lock down, find the culprit and hoof him out which leaves just one possible source, NC himself.

The thing that had me thinking ****** was the use of the term 'board'. Is there one that decides on things at SMS? From what I can gather its practically a dictatorial state led by one man only.

Star's writing policy ? wtf is that, it's just a few lines of meaningless jumble to fill the spaces between the tits and the adverts.