Saints 0 Sunderland 1 - Post Match Reactions

St Chalet

Christ that was dreadful! Mayuka trying but not on the same wavelength as others on terms of runs off the ball and passes.

Ramirez woeful! Has played approx 90 mins of half decent football since his arrival - the rest of the time he flatters to deceive.Might be 'one for the future' but we actually need pts now. We don't have the luxury of giving him a season or so to find his feet cos we'll be relegated. Yes...individual moments of skill but he's hardly top of the list when it comes to assists is he?

No tactical changes as such - just the normal simple changes in personnel which made absolutely no difference - in fact Sunderland looked more and more comfortable as the game went on. Adkins completely out thought by MON.

But the most embarassing for me is that none of our 'first team' can kick a dead ball!! One corner from De Ridder was decent- all other dead balls either mis-hit/ hit the first defender. (obviously SLR shots not included). I've got a bit of time off over Xmas so will gladly pop to the training ground to show them how to kick a dead ball.

Hopefully they will all get a kick up the backside after that shocker and we'll come out fighting on Boxing Day.

Depressing. I don't mind losing to a better team but Sunderland were s*** - if we had any quality in the final third we would have won easily but sadly the tactics and performance were completely disjointed. Ramirez needs to play in the hole and it would be nice occasionally if the wingers would swap so that they can get to the by-line and cross with their better foot. Christmas is cancelled.

You sure you were at the game? Delivered the only corner ball that was any good and had Johnson all over the place, hence MON bringing on Barnsley to tighten it up? De Ridder was good when he came on and I think he may play another game this Xmas break.

Yep I'm pretty sure I was there. He put 1 good ball into the box from a corner. Other than that, much like Mayuka today, he has pace and little else. His general play is sh*te and, 9 times out of 10, he has no final ball.

That's not to say any of our other players were any better.

Just crap. Mayuka looks like a waste of money and, although he did OK, I see no reason why De Ridder gets on in front of Rodriguez.

We have a worrying inability to shoot, even without Lallana today.

Won nothing in the air all game and as a result Lambert was completely ineffective.

Rubbish basically.

Mayuka = Nicky Banger. Thought it before today, but then decided it was unfair based on fleeting, late in the game, sub appearances. Today confirmed it.

Ramirez wasted on the wing. Was amazed to see him there again at the start of the 2nd half

Puncheon, blind alleys today, refused to shoot when he had the chance

Oh dear

Just crap. Mayuka looks like a waste of money and, although he did OK, I see no reason why De Ridder gets on in front of Rodriguez.

We have a worrying inability to shoot, even without Lallana today.

Lambert won nothing in the air all game and as a result the team was completely ineffective.

Rubbish basically.

There - fixed it for you.

Worse ******* performance of the season, even worse then Wigan. Mayluka is ******* useless, no ball control what so ever. He gave the ball away and Sunderland went and scored. Sunderland were crap but we were even worse. When will NA ever learn? Why not start the team that finished against Reading? Why no Jay Rod? Why bother to play Lee in the U21 (he scores) and then not bother to put him on the bench? Where did De Rider come from? So ******ed off. Had enough NA. Thanks for ruining my weekend.

We are pedestrian in the final third. While Cork and Morgan seem good together, we have no playmaker in the central mid position - someone to take the ball through the channels. Lambert is being outclassed by central defenders too much - he needs to be much more mobile to make an impact as a central striker (like Fletcher was today). We have stopped scoring goals - that needs addressing.

Mayuka = Nicky Banger. Thought it before today, but then decided it was unfair based on fleeting, late in the game, sub appearances. Today confirmed it.

Ramirez wasted on the wing. Was amazed to see him there again at the start of the 2nd half

Puncheon, blind alleys today, refused to shoot when he had the chance

Oh dear

I agree, the 100 odd minutes he's played this season means he is exactly the same as Nicky Banger.

We are pedestrian in the final third. While Cork and Morgan seem good together, we have no playmaker in the central mid position - someone to take the ball through the channels. Lambert is being outclassed by central defenders too much - he needs to be much more mobile to make an impact as a central striker (like Fletcher was today). We have stopped scoring goals - that needs addressing.

Shooting on a wet day would have helped address that, instead of another square ball

What is ridiculous about it. We have a run in over the next two months that mirrors our start. We were poor then. We are still poor. Let's see if we recover the points against fulham then I will personally reassess my opinion. Yes my opinion. Speak after the fulham game.

What is ridiculous about it. We have a run in over the next two months that mirrors our start. We were poor then. We are still poor. Let's see if we recover the points against fulham then I will personally reassess my opinion. Yes my opinion. Speak after the fulham game.

So you are saying we are relegated 'fact' if we don't get a win at Fulham. Despite the fact we could lose and still be outside the relegation zone.

It is a ridiculous overreaction.

over the season everyone plays each other twice, imo we all need to wait until at least Easter to start the doom and gloom

Sobering thought...we now probably need to win at least 2/3 of our home games to stay up. Only 9 left now. 12 away.Means beating either Citeh,Chelsea,Arsenal or Everton. Think the players may have realised that when we went behind today.

Edited by Window Cleaner

All wrong today. Tactics, performance and personel. Why did we start with Mayuka up front and RL in the hole. And why was De Ridder brought on first? And Sunderland were no better. Two poor sides today. Missed Lallana, but should have stuck to the normal formation and just replaced Lallana.

over the season everyone plays each other twice' date=' imo we all need to wait until at least Easter to start the doom and gloom[/quote']

Jesus do you understand the math. Others around us play each other so mathematically points will be gained on us. Wow we are outside of the relegation zone. Not for long if we play like we did today. Going to go talk to my five year old grand daughter to have a meaningful conversation.

I would say more logical to start Mayuka on the left, Lambert up front, Ramirez in the centre? One player out of position instead of our two most talented. By the time they changed things in the second half it was too late, Sunderland were controlling.

Mayuka is a striker and Gaston a midfielder though so it did make sense. Agree Gaston is better centrally but then the left becomes an issue. Not a lot wrong with the initial choice at the time, easy to use hindsight.

I would say more logical to start Mayuka on the left, Lambert up front, Ramirez in the centre? One player out of position instead of our two most talented. By the time they changed things in the second half it was too late, Sunderland were controlling.

we'll get more out of JRod on the left than we ever will from Mayuka who seems to be an idiotic wasteful signing

Exactly. I've not see Alpine on here for ages, while our form improved, and suddenly, following a defeat and poor performance he's back. What a weird mentality.

Apart from the fact its complete b*ll*cks, I suggest you quit your foul whining, you are embarassing yourself.

We were poorly-prepared and f**king sh*t today, whether I was online or not.

This. I admire such pragmatism :)

This. Facts are we need to be at 21 points by half way. We need the 6 points from two games. Our next two months is tough. Ok so called easier run in but wasn't Sunderland one of those so called easier games before the turn round. I personally am worried.

Jesus do you understand the math. Others around us play each other so mathematically points will be gained on us. Wow we are outside of the relegation zone. Not for long if we play like we did today. Going to go talk to my five year old grand daughter to have a meaningful conversation.

i understand the math, and as we have done in the past we have to finish one place above the relegation zone.

there are lots of winnable games for us before the end of the season, yes we were crap today but we are still out of the drop zone.

Fulham is a winnable game but not a must win game they come against Reading QPR and Wigan, Sunderland away, villa away

No need to panic yet

This. Facts are we need to be at 21 points by half way. We need the 6 points from two games. Our next two months is tough. Ok so called easier run in but wasn't Sunderland one of those so called easier games before the turn round. I personally am worried.

It's not as easy as that, we only have 9 home games left and we're woeful away from home, 3 points from 7 games. We will probably ultimately regret the 4 points gifted to our rivals by Gazzaniga. With those points on the counter now it wouldn't be so bad at all.

Well. Thinking it over.

With AL out we need to keep Gaston Central so it means we need Guly & Puncheon.

Yeah everyone hates Guly, BUT in his last two cameo appearances he at least showed determination.

SDR actually did look like a footballer. I get the feeling that somehow he simply gets on the pitch and his brain goes to sleep when he has the chance to play a ball in. (so reminds me of Chicken George & Terry Curran)

Puncheon was back to his worst. I know there has been a love in with him lately BUT he has to step up to the plate and battle for the right to look good. Too many times today he simply looked like a headless chicken running into dead ends again. For those pushing for us to give him a big contract, there has to be more consistency from him first.

Gaston simply seemed to need more time on the ball than Sunderland allowed him. It was a similar thing with AL early in the season. Sunderland kept it much more simple in the conditions, Gaston just saw the ball ping off him as he tried his flicks.

Blue Line lessons taught, but have we learnt from them? NA has said it so often - We have to FIGHT for the right to play our football, we didn't do that today.

Oh and not mentioned - Brilliant save by KD in the first 30 seconds of the game and ALMOST a howler in the second half. At least he saved a shot that was on his near post today.

Exactly. I've not see Alpine on here for ages, while our form improved, and suddenly, following a defeat and poor performance he's back. What a weird mentality.

Did full analysis on this last year...... On average Alpain posts 2.2 posts after a win and 16.9 after a defeat. Pathetic individual and boring to boot

Yes, we didn't play well. That can be nothing to do with selection, just players not playing well.

Players that have been playing well were well off their levels today. Clyne was poor, Morgan was awful and so was Lambert. Not much wrong tactically, just a very weird, lethargic performance which seemed to have NA as bemused as most of us.

One thing you can say about us this year is we always create chances, we always cause problems - no matter who we play, but that just didn't happen today. Not once. Weird day, pretty forgettable.

Will be quickly forgotten if we beat Fulham though. With Wigan away at Everton we could cut them adrift a bit.

Please..

Apart from the fact its complete b*ll*cks, I suggest you quit your foul whining, you are embarassing yourself.

We were poorly-prepared and f**king sh*t today, whether I was online or not.

Straight talking when it is needed. we will soon be back in the territory when people begin to speculate NA's future. IMO we did not prepare fully in the summer but i still feel I am soimewhat closer to the truth than others when i talk about a yoyo strategy as a fall back plan.

Shiete today.

Disagree with others, I thought SDR did ok as a sub. Made a bit of an impact, certainly did as much as Gaston and Pucheon. Thought the 2 center halfs did ok again, and Shaw was steady.

Typical martin O Neil performance, didn't play aprticulary well, but won. When do we do that? Play poorly and we lose. Unless we start getting a bit of mental toughness and dig out a couple of results, we're going down.