Saints 0 Sunderland 1 - Post Match Reactions

St Chalet

Poor. Really f**king poor. Home defeat to Sunderland after 2 week break, FFS.

We do not have the wherewithall to grasp our own destiny and pull away from the drop zone.

The rest of the season looks like it will frustrating and disappointing.

Not really. We're going to finish, at best, fifth from bottom.

That was pretty obvious on day one and little has changed.

Games are going to be like this.

We're not relegated yet, and as long as it stays like that before the kick off on the final day, we've done well.

Well that was utterly clueless, no one looked really interested, players or management. Two weeks to prepare for a Lallanaless match and tactics looked like they had been thrown together at the last minute. Players looked like they had only just met.

Couldn't name a MoM for us, simply no one was remotely good enough, whereas O'Shea was a standout MoM for them.

I hope it isn't so, but if we lose next two away games (likely) then Nigel may not see in the New Year as manager.

Make no mistake this was a damaging blow today and with tough games coming up we are still in a desperate battle. How long will Cortese's nerve hold ...?

Very poor performance.

Sunderland were organised and we didn't have enough to break them down.

Set pieces were dismal and all in all it was gutless.

This was a game where they had a decent chance of taking the points and they threw it away.

Someone needs to put a boot up their collective asses if we are to have any chance of points in the next 6 league games, we need a lot more urgency.

The usual fluidity of passing and movement were totally missing today. Too many passes to nobody or players getting caught in possession with Mayuka and Ramirez the worst offenders. Missed Lallana a lot, hope he gets back from injury soon.

On Mayuka's penalty shout, I thought he went down too easily.

Credit to Sunderland though, they closed down well and their midfield were the first to every second ball.

Overall a very similar game to the Wigan game. Disciplined in defence and looked dangerous on the break.

lambert should and always be our main striker if fit....moving him around the pitch is a negative on the team

don't know, he was never going to get much change from O'Shea and Cuellar because he really isn't that good against top class defenders. Mayuka should in theory have added a different dimension, unfortunately he didn't.

Poor. Really f**king poor. Home defeat to Sunderland after 2 week break, FFS.

We do not have the wherewithall to grasp our own destiny and pull away from the drop zone.

The rest of the season looks like it will frustrating and disappointing.

I seem to remember some people suggesting we wouldn't get promoted from L1 and then from the championship. Nothing ever goes right for us. We're always going to be rubbish. We'll never get promoted, we will always get relegated, we always buy the wrong players, we always have the worst managers etc.

Awful, awful, awful.

Gaston and Mayuka both had an aberration of a performance, abysmal. Wouldn't complain if either were dropped after that one.

Puncheon was back to his frustrating, blind ally self, but still gave us more spark than anyone else on the pitch.

There wasn't anything to get excited about, cheer about, or shout about. The most forgettable game in the history of football.

Abject.

I seem to remember some people suggesting we wouldn't get promoted from L1 and then from the championship. Nothing ever goes right for us. We're always going to be rubbish. We'll never get promoted, we will always get relegated, we always buy the wrong players, we always have the worst managers etc.

Some of what you say has a ring of truth to it.

Tactics were horribly wrong from the start. Mayuka doesn't look ready.

To give Mayuka some credit, he did make a few excellent runs into space, beating the offside trap. The problem was that he put passes into spce he thought someone would run into, but no-one did. The kind of understanding required to make those passes takes game time.

Excellent to see that the BBC have ensured that Southampton are embarrassed as a Club today, their picture on the BBC Football pages must have been taken specially for some of our nerdy supporters who find it difficult to have a laugh. So especially for the Turkish Troll and others who may have missed the fun I give you:

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/64916000/jpg/_64916705_64916704.jpg

National coverage, how shameful is that :lol: I expect these 2 guys to be banned for life.

Bowers-sfc I believe!

Excellent to see that the BBC have ensured that Southampton are embarrassed as a Club today, their picture on the BBC Football pages must have been taken specially for some of our nerdy supporters who find it difficult to have a laugh. So especially for the Turkish Troll and others who may have missed the fun I give you:

National coverage, how shameful is that :lol: I expect these 2 guys to be banned for life.

I saw one really, really fat bloke in a skin tight (and then some) replica shirt, I rather see 50 santa hats than that monstrosity.

My god De Ridder is ****.

You sure you were at the game? Delivered the only corner ball that was any good and had Johnson all over the place, hence MON bringing on Barnsley to tighten it up? De Ridder was good when he came on and I think he may play another game this Xmas break.

Cork was outnumbered in midfield because Schneiderlin was awful. We lost it in central midfield because we were closed down quickly and when we did have the ball as soon as it went to Schneiderlin it went backwards/sideways or to the opposition or the back four on the way to Davis. Even if there was space in front, more often than not he turned towards his own goal.

If we have quick players up front we have to put the ball into the space behind the defenders it's just a waste of time to make them face their goal and then pass to them, today it was crying out for through balls due to the conditions making it difficult to turn. Ramirez is a good player but again he has to be given the ball we should be using him as the key playmaker, today he went long periods without seeing the ball, we need to get him on the ball as often as possible.

A "but that's missing the point Trousers me ol' mucka" post alert...

Who would have given their right arm two months ago for Saints to be sitting above the relegation zone at Christmas?

This post was brought to you courtesy of the Perspective Society (who, incidentally, recently merged with the Head in Sand Association)

:)

You sure you were at the game? Delivered the only corner ball that was any good and had Johnson all over the place, hence MON bringing on Barnsley to tighten it up? De Ridder was good when he came on and I think he may play another game this Xmas break.

Apart from one corner his delivery was almost schoolboy like in standard! Yes he has pace but little end product!

:lol:

Tactics were horribly wrong from the start. Mayuka doesn't look ready.

To be fair I thought we had it just about right in the first half, barring our frustrating (and potentially fatal) reluctance to shoot when the chance or half-chance arrived, although I do have my doubts about Mayuka. He sometimes looks like he has a million pound engine and a 50p brain.

I have a lot of time for NA but O'Neill is a canny manager and his half-time adjustments were excellent. We tried to respond to them but Sunderland took away most of our creation space, and some of our most potent tactical threats of recent weeks - our full back/winger combos - were undermined by Sunderland's own wide threats.

And Bardsley got booked straight away when De Ridder totally outpaced him and he had to pull him down.