Saints 0 Sunderland 1 - Post Match Reactions

St Chalet

Terrible team selection and terrible substitutions.

Mayuka was terrible - how is he the 85 best player in the world? He seemed to be on a completely different wavelength to the rest of the team - and unable to control the ball most of the time.

Lambert, Puncheon and Ramirez also had bad games - did Lambert win anything in the air today? Puncheon ran down far too many blind alleys and Ramirez just kept on losing the ball.

Clyne made a lot of mistakes today as well.

The subs were awful - Guly and De Ridder are just not Premier League players. De Ridder does one brilliant thing every time he plays but is truly awful apart from that - he'd be a lot better if he was just averagely good every game!

I don't understand why we didn't start with Rodriguez -and even more so why we didn't replace Mayuka with Rodriguez after 15 mins - we needed someone to lead the line - and compete in the air.

always thought our positives this season have been that we are good in possession and hit the diagonal to Lambert on the back stick well. The idea of getting Mayuka behind O'Shea and Cuellar was decent in principle but was only going to work if we were playing balls quality balls in behind. Our possession was so poor that we had to go long and Mayuka wasn't getting a look in. Added to this was the fact that Lambert was playing in the hole and wasn't the target for the long balls so we were always going to struggle.

It seems that whenever one of Puncheon/Ramirez/Lallana is injured we don't really know what to do. Whether we play Rodriguez up top and Lambert in behind or put Rodriguez wide left, it just never seems balanced without our standard front 4.

They were absolute sh!t and only got what we gave them.....unfortunately we were sh!ttier.

Rickie didn't win a thing all game and didn't look interested

Mayuka didn't make the most of his big chance

Ramirez was fookin awful and should have been taken off

Surely we can't be missing lallana that much can we?

I don't think the 2 week break did us any favors at all and we should feel lucky that a few of the teams around us lost as well

Time for the players to pull their heads out of their arses and up their game for Boxing Day.

always thought our positives this season have been that we are good in possession and hit the diagonal to Lambert on the back stick well. The idea of getting Mayuka behind O'Shea and Cuellar was decent in principle but was only going to work if we were playing balls quality balls in behind. Our possession was so poor that we had to go long and Mayuka wasn't getting a look in. Added to this was the fact that Lambert was playing in the hole and wasn't the target for the long balls so we were always going to struggle.

It seems that whenever one of Puncheon/Ramirez/Lallana is injured we don't really know what to do. Whether we play Rodriguez up top and Lambert in behind or put Rodriguez wide left, it just never seems balanced without our standard front 4.

Great sum up right there. Mayuka's runs weren't great, and the balls to feed him were non-existent. O'Shea did have the game of the season though, he won every single ball in the air.

To credit Sunderland, the reason they're down where they are is because they don't score enough. Defensively they're amongst the best in this league, and it showed today.

Not sure I watched the same game. It was a flat, poor performance where the front 2 did not get any service. At least Mayuka ran at them, nothing else was troubling the defence. Rickie got some useful flick ons, but not his game. Again not sure why De Ridder gets stick. He really ran at them and was hacked down a couple of times, he also put in a great cross that was cleared off the line. Don't think he did a lot wrong. Adkins just does not have many options I think we need to accept this, we just can't cope when players like AL go missing. A lot of fans say Mayuks should start, he gets no service then fans say, get J Rod on. We need to buy in Jan if there is money in the pot.

Very poor today.

Bad selections by NA. Jay Rod has his best game for us against Reading so he drops him!!!

I know you are not allowed to criticise Lambert, but he was poor. That does not make him a bad player or mean I am not grateful for all he has done. He just had a bad game.

Puncheon was to slow to pass a number of times. Getting caught in possession.

We nver used the wings! DeRidder hd 3 free kicks from the left & not once did Shaw offer him an option outside.

No one played well IMHO.

Need a least a point at Fulham............

Terrible day at the office, but did have a feeling we would not win today, after beating Newcastle and Reading. Just need to bounce back against a out of sorts Fulham.

Come on lads and lasses, we were out of sorts, but have a great couple of months. We can hit form again.

scoring at stoke will be as hard as it gets.....let alone not letting any in

Stoke will bully us out of the game. We don't compete enough for 50/50 balls and too many players either simply cant tackle or prefer to stand off and watch while the opponent dances through. For certain matches we could do with a few more nasty bastards in midfield.

scoring at stoke will be as hard as it gets.....let alone not letting any in

Take a 0-0. You have to admit we are looking stronger at the back, and that is the correct platform to build a team that has it sights set on staying up. I also believe that QPR and Reading (reading as of today) are trying the same. All 3 of us only conceding one 1 goal.

It is going to be tight, but think it will be out of the bottom 4 and Fulham.

Edited by Dr Who?

That was about as bad as it gets offensively. Did we have a shot on target? Lamberts free kick probably counts I suppose but other than that, dreadful. Ramirez looked like a fish up a tree out on the wing and must have been colourblind the number of times he passed straight to a Sunderland player. If Guly or SDR put in a performance like that they would get crucified on here. Lumping it up to Lambert just didn't work, the Sunderland CBs had him in there pocket all afternoon and nobody got withing the same postcode to try and win the second ball. The supply into the box was pretty much none existent for most of the game.

On the subject of SDR I though he was decent when he came on. People talk about him only putting in one decent cross, that's more than Gaston, Puncheon and Mayuka put together. Besides which he made other contributions winning a couple of corners and he got 2 players booked trying to defend against him. He is a right footed player who was put on the left, crossing is always going to be difficult. He cut inside a couple of times and pulled the ball back to team mates who failed to use it. Don't get me wrong, he wasn't great but he was one of the better players today. I'd be inclined to give him more chances, rather than chucking him into a match where the whole team is sh*te, then moaning because he can't turn it around on his own.

Actually we were ok until they scored although Mayuka was not great. I think the style of football let us down today. Too many balls pumped forward in the hope that Mayuka or lambert would do something magical. The second half we looked bereft of ideas. But we are better than that so not too worried. Sunderland worked hard for their win and the week off turned out not to be the advantage we thought it was.

Effort was there but alas not the quality.

The formation was confusing - was it really 4-4-2 or was it our usual set-up but with Lambert playing in the hole, assuming Ramirez's role?

Ramirez showed poor discipline first half and kept creeping into central positions which made us very narrow -at least until De Ridder came on and Ramirez played off Lambert (where he could be more involved). The Ramirez experiment arguably failed, so it will interesting to see who starts on the left on Boxing Day.

Mayuka's touch was OK at first and was involved in some nice, one touch interchanges with Lambert and Ramirez but then it went to pot. Still his pace and ability to beat the offside trap gave us something very different -and arguably O'Shea and Cuellar had more trouble with the ball behind than the long-ball to RL. The skiddy surface also favoured a pacier option -why IMO SDR came on instead of Jrod.

Didnt think Ounch had a bad game by any stretch, though Rose provided a very stiff test.

Defence looked steadier, though we had problems with players dropping between the lines. Morgan was poor, though Cork wasn't much better. It wouldn't be surprising if Davis starts against his former club.

Guly looked strong when he came on, showing a physicality and presence that others, including Lambert lacked. Might be an option for the siege that awaits us at Stoke.

Edited by shurlock

Cork was outnumbered in midfield because Schneiderlin was awful. We lost it in central midfield because we were closed down quickly and when we did have the ball as soon as it went to Schneiderlin it went backwards/sideways or to the opposition or the back four on the way to Davis. Even if there was space in front, more often than not he turned towards his own goal.

If we have quick players up front we have to put the ball into the space behind the defenders it's just a waste of time to make them face their goal and then pass to them, today it was crying out for through balls due to the conditions making it difficult to turn. Ramirez is a good player but again he has to be given the ball we should be using him as the key playmaker, today he went long periods without seeing the ball, we need to get him on the ball as often as possible.

We were not so bad in the first half when energy levels were up but that just about sums things up. This was just a compromise too far today in fitting Lambert into the system and team against that opposition. This compromise has seen us score and win points previously, today was the other side of that coin. Our most skilled and gifted player is Ramirez, so to not have him pulling the strings and providing the bullets is always going to detract. Ramirez did not have his best of days but neither would I expect him to have in that position, though it was one of those wintry days for a SA to go missing. Kelvin was having to go long because they had us covered in midfield and for that same reason we were not picking up enough from what never stuck to Lambert. Drop Lambert and put Guly or Davis on the left and we could have competed again. Even though Fletcher was not fully fit, he showed what could be delivered when your striker does not need a batman, even though not fully fit.

MON just identified where our goals came from and nullified the threat, we exasperated that by giving up control of the middle and fell to a good Sunderland goal. A bit unlucky maybe, but there are only so many Pardews in this league that even saggy chops could work this one out.

We were not so bad in the first half when energy levels were up but that just about sums things up. This was just a compromise too far today in fitting Lambert into the system and team against that opposition. This compromise has seen us score and win points previously, today was the other side of that coin. Our most skilled and gifted player is Ramirez, so to not have him pulling the strings and providing the bullets is always going to detract. Ramirez did not have his best of days but neither would I expect him to have in that position, though it was one of those wintry days for a SA to go missing. Kelvin was having to go long because they had us covered in midfield and for that same reason we were not picking up enough from what never stuck to Lambert. Drop Lambert and put Guly or Davis on the left and we could have competed again. Even though Fletcher was not fully fit, he showed what could be delivered when your striker does not need a batman, even though not fully fit.

MON just identified where our goals came from and nullified the threat, we exasperated that by giving up control of the middle and fell to a good Sunderland goal. A bit unlucky maybe, but there are only so many Pardews in this league that even saggy chops could work this one out.

Prob Is hOw long has guly gone without goal? 35?

Lallana wasn't our answer for today's game as it was. Whenever we've looked lethargic, we just never seem likely to wake up again.

If our past time in the PL was criticised for being too based on dogfighters with no flair, we've now got the opposite. A lot of flairy, positive vibes on the team, which is great and I've been very pleased with the football played down at SMS, but not a lot going for the hard side of business. Someone capable of screaming at anyone and giving the squad a kick up the arse on the field, as well as showing them the way with a period of high pressure or something that could get the crowd going and be transmitted to the other 10. Today we needed that against a team which is more about spirit and getting muddy despite small patches of skill in Sessegnon, Fletcher and Johnson (Beattie, Fernandes and Svensson????).

Also, we desperately need to find another solution to our attacking play than long passes to Lambert if anything else seems difficult to do/we need a goal to happen. It's wasting posession and too predictable and Rickie's aerial challenges are becoming too 50-50 as CBs start to know him better. I'd rather we passed the ball patiently in midfield trying to find a break.

Haven't read much comment about Kelvin's "Bart" moment. If the ball had slid over the line for their second would that have been full time on his career?

Can't believe he's still picked. Was it 'ooh he used to play for Sunderland?'

Haven't read much comment about Kelvin's "Bart" moment. If the ball had slid over the line for their second would that have been full time on his career?

Wet ball slipped out of his hands, managed to 'catch' it with his feet, made a mistake but managed to rectify it. Oh well. Didn't have much to do today but when he was called on I felt he played well.

no one played well today really, most has been said already, but i felt mayuka didnt get the service today. so many times we had thier defense up on the half way and he was starting his run and no1 released him. i think nigel picked him for the potential zip on the srface and the hope that a cpl lofty balls over the top and he'd be clean through

Awful drive to Southampton from Sussex today in drizzle and rain and even worse coming home in the wet and dark with lights reflected back off the road. And in between an even worse 90 minutes, no thats unfair, the first 10 minutes were promising but from then on it was all downhill. I wish Nigel Adkins could explain why, having spent so much to bring J-Rod here he gets played out of position, or as today, not at all.

Utter garbage. We really struggle against well organised teams, lacking guile in final third.

I predicted 2 points from next 5 games including today's game but after that performance think zero points more realistic. Relegation on the cards I'm afraid.

Utter garbage. We really struggle against well organised teams, lacking guile in final third.

I predicted 2 points from next 5 games including today's game but after that performance think zero points more realistic. Relegation on the cards I'm afraid.

The bottom 3 will be delighted to that we have given up the ghost already. I really hope Adkins and the team are not so defeatist.

Next "winnable" home game for me is QPR in March unless we can get a result against Arsenal, Everton or Man City :S

We will beat city.. have no fear. We are their bogey team :) we were always going to lose today... Team with no interest in attacking play comes to sms = defeat ;) as for today. Nigel ducked up. We'd lost lallana so he thought he get rid of our other best player by sticking him out of position on the left. Genious. Also nice to sed do prado getting boo'd when he came on.... I must have missed puncheon playing at least average or something.

Beaten tactically by a manager with little resources at his disposal. Very poor performance. A six pointer is not a game to try out Mayuka and then De Ridder and then Guly.

Appart from a Premier League squad from last season and as much money as we spent on Gaston to buy Adam Johnson plus an extra £15m to buy Fletcher from Wolves? But appart from that, they're a shoe string outfit.

Mayuka was appallingly bad, we've done the hard work bedding Jay in, and just when he is starting to look good we drop him to the bench.

Square pegs and round holes didn't work again today trying to cover Lallana's absence. Give Reeves a go.

Too many players were off their games today.

Right what lads? We did everything but score! First 55 mins we had everything, gave them one chance which they took and that was it.

Ramirez was utter gash today, first truly rubbish performance from him, just wasn't at the races at all. Myuka was pretty good, if we stuck with him, subbed a woeful punch, a gash Rameriez and not bothered with a l1 De Ridder then it could have gone our way.

Then again we will get a result or two we just don't deserve later in the season anyway (today should have been 0-0 really) so it will probably even out.

Nice everyone was fit (especially seeing as Sunderland seemed to be making death substitutions) but we really need to be more effective going forward. De Ridder is as poor as Punch but just utterly worse in every way. Punch is terrible and showed it and Gaston had a nightmare (partly because 2 men sat on him and partly because he couldn't deal with it). Left Lambert and Myuka isolated sadly so when the ball did get to them and they looked dangerous it didn't work out sadly.

Subs realyl didn't work, De Ridder is terrible, Guly came on too late and Morg was subbed only because in 2 weeks his yellow card ban is reset. Shame as Davis for Gaston would have worked better and just abandon the left completely.

I given myself time to sleep on it before posting on this occasion, but it makes no difference because I'm as dissatisfied with this limp performance now as I was yesterday evening. Now most sides would miss a player of Adam Lallana's quality, but for pity's sake all teams have to cope when key players become injured and we had a whole fortnight to rest and prepare for this important game.

Not being adequately prepared is becoming the running theme of this season. Think back to how mediocre our preseason preparations went and then remember - indeed who could ever forget - just how amateur our defending was once the season proper had started. As it happens I think that Kelvin back in goal is probably the correct option for us at this time - but the constant chopping and changing of keepers is not a good sign. Yet again the bizarre substitution decisions made yesterday seemed to cause our performance to deteriorate, rather than improve.

On the question of the manager, it is very obvious that Nigel Adkins retains the support of the majority of the fanbase. I also think it likely that any (short term) prospect of his dismissal has receded into the background. But is he really the great Premier League manager many on here seem so sure that he is? The jury's still out on that one if you ask me.

So rant over and we move on to the next game - we better play better or we'll soon be up to our neck in it again.

Right what lads? We did everything but score! First 55 mins we had everything, gave them one chance which they took and that was it.

Myuka was pretty good, if we stuck with him, subbed a woeful punch, a gash Rameriez and not bothered with a l1 De Ridder then it could have gone our way.

...................... Myuka isolated sadly so when the ball did get to them and they looked dangerous it didn't work out sadly.

You're a ******* laugh? Did you watch the match? Mayuka was utter rubbish, couldn't trap a bag of cement. Hope I never see him a Saints shirt ever again. Total waste of money. Who no Jay Rod or Lee? NA lost the ******* plot again.

Wow. Bit much for me. Not been following the game, being in NZ, but to summarise:

- J Rod is the bees knees

- Ramirez and Miyuka are total ****e we should of-load for a bunch of green shield stamps and a tin of coke

- Guly, well just boo him, an Puncheon too

- Adkins out!

But presumably if we had won 1-0 the world would be perfect.

Great.

How about posting these this IN ADVANCE (by the way, that means BEFORE THE GAME to a lot of you) rather than benefitting from hindsight (i.e. pretending you would do what you said you would do now that you know what the outcome of doing what you didnt want to do was, and didn't even say you wouldn't do what was being done, but just twisting facts to suit your miserable old selves.)

Billy! Calm down, lad. It's only two days to Christmas and you get to open all those presents under the tree. As Frankie goes to Hollywood sung, 'Relax'!

Remember the song well mate. Shame there wont be any presents under the tree for me - they're all for the kids.

Back to the footie - standby what I said, Mayuka is cr@p and so were most of the team (and the manager) yesterday.

Have a good Xmas Norm.

Wow. Bit much for me. Not been following the game, being in NZ, but to summarise:

- J Rod is the bees knees

- Ramirez and Miyuka are total ****e we should of-load for a bunch of green shield stamps and a tin of coke

- Guly, well just boo him, an Puncheon too

- Adkins out!

But presumably if we had won 1-0 the world would be perfect.

Great.

How about posting these this IN ADVANCE (by the way, that means BEFORE THE GAME to a lot of you) rather than benefitting from hindsight (i.e. pretending you would do what you said you would do now that you know what the outcome of doing what you didnt want to do was, and didn't even say you wouldn't do what was being done, but just twisting facts to suit your miserable old selves.)

Good post fella...

Moaning happens if we dont win every week..

Not my decision to allow or disallow moaning is it?

IMO

The game was ordinary/crap/dull from both sides and could have easily had reverse result and then the

moaning would of been less..

Imo it was one of those games where we wouldn't have scored in a month of Sundays and too many of our forward thinking players were off their games.

Imo it was one of those games where we wouldn't have scored in a month of Sundays and too many of our forward thinking players were off their games.

And in 127 years of existence we've never had one of those games before have we.

Personally I am glad that the local Pub didn't have the right channel to show the game so I was forced to watch it on the TV in my bedroom. Meant I could roll over, close my eyes and hope it was all a bad dream.

it wasn't.

When you watch a game hoping that 1) SDR doesn't make a fool of himself, (he didn't) and even give up swearing at Puncheon/Ramirez and the only words that come out your mouth are FFS SOMEBODY F***CKING SHOOT, you kina wish the World HAD ended on Friday

Missed this game and it seems it was a good one not to witness.

What puzzles me is why NA chose this game to experiment with Mayuka (or was he giving him enough rope to hang himself?) and then use De Ridder and Guly ahead of Rodrigues, who I was confident would have been starting. Perhaps the strategy was to give them a chance to do something or prove they're not up to it? And it sounded as if SDR did bake some difference.

The second half against Reading Jay played well with Ricky in the hole. Why did we try to change it?

And in a heavy pitch, wouldn't JR have been more effective? Or is he carrying an injury? From the highlights of the last couple of minutes we made chances with a direct approach. He would have thrived on them.