Villa Build Up Thread

saints_is_the_south

I think Adkins will start with Rodriguez on the left instead of Guly. Just a hunch.

Probably do the 4-4-2 sort of set up as against Stoke if Gaston isn't 100%. Guly on the left Lambert in the hole Punch on the right with Rodriguez up front terrorising the 19 year olds at cb... Then Gaston on the bench as a precaution/super sub.

Then again it could all be a ruse to confuse the opposition even more (and hope they can't make plans).

Also Adkins has some almighty knees in the training pictures!

Edited by pingwing

Gaston has to play tomorrow, absolutely tore them to pieces at home, and without Lallana in the side, we definitely need him in there.

This. I am a massive Adkins fan but if he didn't include a fit Gaston tomorrow it would be the most bizarre decision he has made.

Would be very confident of Gaston starting.

So, that'll be the inexperienced back 4 of Joe Bennett - Nathan Baker - Cerian Clark and Lowton against us.

We have to work that back 4, simple as that. No matter of training will make that back 4 better, it is just lower league rubbish.

Ciaran Clark isn't exactly lower league rubbish, only ever played for Villa I think, more PL games than all of our CBs put together.

Ciaran Clark isn't exactly lower league rubbish, only ever played for Villa I think, more PL games than all of our CBs put together.

He probably isn't, but he's played like it this year. Probably being brought down to the level of those around him.

He's probably not any better than Yoshi or Fonte, and is probably their best defender. Bennett is ok, but was hardly great for Boro last season. Just have to keep at their back four. They don't really have the players in midfield to give them any protection either.

Villa actually weren't that bad at St Mary's until they took Stephen Ireland off at half time.

So, that'll be the inexperienced back 4 of Joe Bennett - Nathan Baker - Cerian Clark and Lowton against us.

We have to work that back 4, simple as that. No matter of training will make that back 4 better, it is just lower league rubbish.

If Lambert is on his game he will dominate them, I fancy a goal from Jos as well as we are fairly good at set pieces and they are awful at defending them. I have a feeling that their weakness from balls out wide might be why Jay Rod might also get a look in.

I have said this in other threads though everything is pointing to a Saints win for me but that in itself is worrying. Good to see Nige has acknowledged the 'wounded animal' thing so that should rule out any complacency from our players.

He's probably not any better than Yoshi or Fonte, and is probably their best defender. Bennett is ok, but was hardly great for Boro last season. Just have to keep at their back four. They don't really have the players in midfield to give them any protection either.

Villa actually weren't that bad at St Mary's until they took Stephen Ireland off at half time.

after we broke his arm you mean, got trampled IIRC

They were probably the better team in the first half and Benteke should have put them 2-0 ahead just after half-time if I remember rightly.

Know someone that has just managed to buy a ticket in our end from our ticket office this morning, so clearly not entirely "sold out". Worth nipping down there if anyone is local and in need of a ticket.

It is sold out, friend of mine tried earlier.

It is sold out, friend of mine tried earlier.
Well I know someone who went to the ticket office this morning to buy a Chelsea ticket and asked for a Villa one on the off chance and was sold one - they didn't mention if it was a "return" or anything like that. How did your friend try? On-line?

Well I know someone who went to the ticket office this morning to buy a Chelsea ticket and asked for a Villa one on the off chance and was sold one - they didn't mention if it was a "return" or anything like that. How did your friend try? On-line?

Went down there as he lives local on the off chance, possibly a return yeah.

I'm going to this one with a Villa mate sat in with them. Still at £10 a ticket I couldn't turn it down.

He's got all home games for that price with priority booking via O2 I believe. Can't knock that.

He's not confident at all. He thinks Lambert will have a field day against Villa's defence. Nothing we don't already know but this is exactly the kind of game we should win.

There's a possibility of Vlaar coming straight into the side, nothing confirmed:

Aston-Villa-v-Southampton-001.jpg

Mark Lawrenson again expects us to lose

His verdict below on the match with Villa

Villa are a team with a lot of problems but their biggest one is that teams do not have to work hard to create a lot of chances against them. Bradford of League Two did it in the first leg of their Capital One Cup semi-final on Tuesday.

Villa were turned over by Wigan in their last home league game game and boss Paul Lambert must be worried that will happen again on Saturday.

Saints are not great on the road, but they have got some good forward players and they create a lot of chances.

But in a funny way, Tuesday's defeat by Bradford may not have been the worst thing that could have happened to Villa. They can still win that tie for a start.

It highlighted all their problems and that can help bring about the right reaction. It was so bad, their players might have lost some of their fear factor and be thinking "come on - whatever we do now, we have got to have a go at everything".

Southampton have stuttered a bit in the past few weeks and this game is certainly a winnable one for Villa.

Lawro's prediction: 2-1

He never seems to back us to win a game :rolleyes:

Villa are a team with a lot of problems but their biggest one is that teams do not have to work hard to create a lot of chances against them. Bradford of League Two did it in the first leg of their Capital One Cup semi-final on Tuesday.

Villa were turned over by Wigan in their last home league game game and boss Paul Lambert must be worried that will happen again on Saturday.

Saints are not great on the road, but they have got some good forward players and they create a lot of chances.

But in a funny way, Tuesday's defeat by Bradford may not have been the worst thing that could have happened to Villa. They can still win that tie for a start.

It highlighted all their problems and that can help bring about the right reaction. It was so bad, their players might have lost some of their fear factor and be thinking "come on - whatever we do now, we have got to have a go at everything".

Southampton have stuttered a bit in the past few weeks and this game is certainly a winnable one for Villa.

Just as well, when he does we usually lose.

Weird.

Basically he's reckons Villa are so sh*t that they will become good by default.

What the hell does this mean -

It was so bad, their players might have lost some of their fear factor

So they are now not scred of losing? They are so poor the pressure is now off?

So they are now not scred of losing? They are so poor the pressure is now off?

Apparently thats a thing...

I guess his idea is that if there is no pressure or nothing to loose (going down pretty much anyway) then they will relax and a good performance will happen, despite the blindingly obvious point that they probably wont be involved at all and loose.

This is one of those weeks where Lawro looks a right tit as a team that has had 3 good league performances (and a bad fa cup performances) should beat a team that has been dreadful in the league and league cup and only had a good performance in the fa cup after going a goal down...

LOL, right yet another person to educate. Lawro has been far more optimistic about our chances than our loony "the world is against us" fans seem to think. When we were relegated he predicted us to stay up comfortably. This season (and it's on the article you just cut and pasted ffs) is his predictions were correct we would be 12th on 22 points. http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20970680

Don't let the facts get in the way though....

I'm going to this one with a Villa mate sat in with them. Still at £10 a ticket I couldn't turn it down.

He's got all home games for that price with priority booking via O2 I believe. Can't knock that.

He's not confident at all. He thinks Lambert will have a field day against Villa's defence. Nothing we don't already know but this is exactly the kind of game we should win.

Am doing exactly the same as you and my Villa supporting mate is also not confident at all. He thinks Westwood being out is arguably their biggest problem, without him, their centre mid is just really weak.

Think it all comes down to the first goal tmw. If we get it, they will crumble and we should win. If they go ahead, their confidence may come back and it will be difficult for us.

I fancy Puncheon to have a good game up against Bennett as well. If Jos performs, I'm confident

Haven't read all of the thread, but apparently Vlaar is to return to the Villa side (source SSN).

From the Villa OS.......don't think Vlaar will play

TEAM NEWS

Villa boss Paul Lambert is set to welcome back Brett Holman [virus] and Ashley Westwood [ankle ligaments], who missed the cup games against Ipswich and Bradford.

Ron Vlaar has also resumed training, although the Saints clash could come too soon for the Dutch defender.

Darren Bent [knee], Chris Herd [foot] and Marc Albrighton [foot] have all been ruled out.

Southampton pair Jose Fonte and Adam Lallana are out with knee problems.

Emmanuel Mayuka is away with Zambia at the Africa Cup of Nations.