Saints vs West Ham - Build Up

Lighthouse

A slight tangent but...Manager talking out of his hat shocker...

http://www.goal.com/en/news/9/england/2013/04/08/3886768/mancini-manchester-united-get-easy-ride-against-scared

I can think of one team that hasn't played "very soft" against Man Utd this season...

Still took 6 points off us though when with a bit more belief in certain sections of both games, we could have won.

I think we are an example which backs RM's point.

We've been getting good results but I think we will smash a team before the season ends - of our remaining games I'd love it, love it, if we smashed West Ham. Classless bunch of ignorant barrow boys.

Olympic stadium for a Championship team would be so sweet.

We've been getting good results but I think we will smash a team before the season ends - of our remaining games I'd love it, love it, if we smashed West Ham. Classless bunch of ignorant barrow boys.

Olympic stadium for a Championship team would be so sweet.

West Ham won't go down any more than we will. QPR,Reading already gone and one of Sunderland and Wigan to join them.

Still took 6 points off us though when with a bit more belief in certain sections of both games, we could have won.

I think we are an example which backs RM's point.

I disagree but can see how it can be interpreted in both ways. We "gave it a good go" vs Man Utd which I believe is what RM is accusing teams "all" teams of not doing. Anyway, we digress...

Is Mike Dean the good one, the bad one or one of the appalling ones??

He has done 3 Saints games this season :-

Manure (L 2-3), qpr (W 3-1) and the cup game Chelsea (L 1-5) where he gave that pen against us where the ball hit Davis in the middle of his chest.

Last season he did the home defeat against Reading 1-3, where we played them off the park and still lost 3 goals to their 4 attempts on goal.

My concern with him for this game is when he has done Hoof ball Sam games over the last couple of years they have won all 4 with very FEW BOOKINGS.

Last season :- Boro (a) W 2-0 only 1 yellow for them; Cardiff (H) W3-0 only 1 yellow for them.

This season :- Villa (H) W 1-0 no bookings; Newcastle (a) W 1-0 booked 2.

IMO he allows a lot of their "pushing"; "jumping into" and "physical game" go unpunished

Didn't you hear?

Apparently we always get **** refs.

Oh I thought the chant was ironic like that one about papa waigo being always offside

IMO he allows a lot of their "pushing"; "jumping into" and "physical game" go unpunished

Should help out with Carroll then! Embarrassing that a player who has been convicted of assault goes down so easily...

Theyre defensively good in the air, so I hope we don't fall into the trap we did against QPR. They're not the quickest team, so Jrod and the fullback's pace will be invaluable. Jos should be suited to a game like this. Touch wood.

Theyre defensively good in the air, so I hope we don't fall into the trap we did against QPR. They're not the quickest team, so Jrod and the fullback's pace will be invaluable. Jos should be suited to a game like this. Touch wood.

Yes, Collins did well blocking Suarez out of the game on Saturday, and so he will be confident he can do the same v Lambert or Rodrigues and block out their game. This battle could well decide the game imo. I think JayRod will be able to speed past him and Rickie needs to be at his best. And Sam's Sham team will surely hoof the ball over our midfield to try to catch us out at the back. Much depends on Spiderman and Cork's mobility too.

Yes, Collins did well blocking Suarez out of the game on Saturday, and so he will be confident he can do the same v Lambert or Rodrigues and block out their game. This battle could well decide the game imo. I think JayRod will be able to speed past him and Rickie needs to be at his best. And Sam's Sham team will surely hoof the ball over our midfield to try to catch us out at the back. Much depends on Spiderman and Cork's mobility too.

Definitely, much will depend on their ability to win the second ball, even if that means dropping pretty deep.

@SouthamptonFC: Mike Dean has been appointed referee for this Saturday's game against @whufc_official at St Mary's. #saintsfc

At QPR away you hardly noticed him, best ref I've seen so far this season. He protected our players from alot of QPR's physicality/clumsy challenges in that game so I'm hoping he'll be the same this time.

He didn't enjoy his best refereeing performance when we played Chelsea in the cup but I'm not really fussed about that as it was only a cup game.

Edited by BlakeySFC

At QPR away you hardly noticed him, best ref I've seen so far this season. He protected our players from alot of QPR's physicality/clumsy challenges in that game so I'm hoping he'll be the same this time.

He didn't enjoy his best refereeing performance when we played Chelsea in the cup but I'm not really fussed about that as it was only a cup game.

Are you serious? He was poor at Loftus Road - Lambert got less protection than usual(Ferdinand was pulling him back all day) and that's saying something...

Edited by shurlock

How we defend set-pieces is going to decide the game I think.

The inevitable tussle between Boruc and Nolan (who loves to block the goalkeeper at set-pieces) should be interesting to watch.

He's a brave man if he tries it on Boruc lol

West Ham won't go down any more than we will. QPR,Reading already gone and one of Sunderland and Wigan to join them.

Or stoke city...

Are you serious? He was poor at Loftus Road - Lambert got less protection than usual(Ferdinand was pulling him back all day) and that's saying something...

100% serious. Thought he was excellent in that game, hardly noticed he was there and gave almost all 50/50 decisions our way.

http://www.kumb.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=147115&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Some of you seem to have upset the Hammers.

Oddly enough they were not being at all arrogant in that thread. It seems that they know their place in the premiership, but have forgotten all about how they sounded when they were in the championship. How they were too good for it etc.

Oh well, it's just internet b0ll0cks.

Mongboard V Mongboard in the fight for Mongboard domination.

Saints Web V Knees Up Mother Brown

Saints V West Ham

Lettttttttttttttts Geeeeeettttttt Reeeeeaaaaaaddddyyyy Toooooo Ruuuuummmmbbbbblllleeeeee DING DING DING

I bet our internet soldiers can out idiot their internet soldiers any day. Who's got the most posts? Delldays? Let's marshal the troops!

ten-hut

http://www.kumb.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=147115&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Some of you seem to have upset the Hammers.

lol, the irony- "Southampton are so insignificant to me that I actually USED to like them!"

When I was a kid, my red-and-white Dad always loved watching west ham because they played such attractive football, I dont remember ever missing a whu game at the Dell, the one game of the season he always made sure we went to, and even when we lost he'd still say it was worth it to see the style of play.

The comment I remember most from last season was a whu fan before the St Marys game, "they play some pretty stuff, but they wont be able to cope with big sam's hoofball." From a west ham fan. ffs

Oddly enough they were not being at all arrogant in that thread. It seems that they know their place in the premiership, but have forgotten all about how they sounded when they were in the championship. How they were too good for it etc.

Oh well, it's just internet b0ll0cks.

lol, most of them seem pretty fair to be honest, with most going for a point. They do seem a bit fixated on the 4-1 though, which isn't really an indication of where our team is at.

I can't see all the 4-0 and 5-0s they are talking about, a few tongue in cheek ones but I can;t see many of us thinking we are going to smash them.

They are still a nothing club though but it's mainly due to their slimy owners and fat sam and the borrible brand of football he plays, not sure how that is bitterness?. They also seem pretty fixated that they stopped Suarez so can stop us, well I'm pretty sure we've stopped Suarez twice now so we should be able to nulify the worst away scorers in the league.

On our form I really fancy the win. The players will be beaming with confidence. It will be a test to MP too see how he breaks them down if they sit back and play balls over the top.

Don't rate Wham much and think they'll struggle next season. Behind Stoke they are definitely the worst team to watch this year.

Another less attractive tactic they used when they defeated us earlier this season was to crowd the keeper and defenders on the goal line. I was a few yards behind Saints goal and hefty Nolan (or was it Noble) kept backing comparatively diminutive and frustrated Clyne over the line during corners, effectively crowding him out of the game.

I know all teams do this to an extent, but this was particularly cynical as they knew the ref couldn't even see Clyne

Or Andy Carroll playing like a 4 year old girl with cerebral palsy - he was probably on his feet for about 2 minutes of that game combined!

This'll be the first home game i've missed this season, so not sure which way it'll go tbh. I hope we beat them, but 4pts is my goal from the WHU and Swansea games so as long as we avoid defeat i'll be happy.

All Fat Sam teams always crowd the keeper and used dirty tactics. Just something else that we have to deal with. Jos is going to need to have a good game and the team will have to make sure we keep the ball at every opportunity.

Personally think his game could be decided on winning the second balls. We know the ball will be lumped to that fairy up top all game, but his touch is dreadful - Morgan and Cork are superb at just picking it off. Worth remembering last time we played them at their place, our team was...

31 Boruc

02 Clyne

03 Yoshida

05 Hooiveld Booked

06 Fonte

04 Schneiderlin Booked

08 S Davis (Ward-Prowse - 89' )

20 Lallana

21 Guly

42 Puncheon (Mayuka - 65' )

09 Rodriguez (Lambert - 65' )

Shaw will play, as will Cork and Lambert. 3 very important players for us this season. Ramirez might even start, although Lallana looked handy on Saturday and not sure Ramirez will be a able to perform in what will be a very physical game.

Mike Dean reffed the game last night.

He's the one that looks like Jasper Carrott.

He sent Kompany off (card rescinded by FA). Strikes me as strict and someone who falls easily for simulation.

Oh and this is the line-up.

------------------BORUC----------------

CLYNE-----MAYA-----JOS-----SHAW

---------MORGAN----CORK----------

JAYROD---------DAVIS-----LALLANA

-----------------LAMBERT--------------

Subs: K.Davis, Fonte, Forren, JWP, Ramirez, Puncheon, Guly

I like how they're using the fact they kept Suarez quiet as proof that they will be able to beat us. Pretty sure we did the same?

Suarez had a handicap...he's on 9 yellows and they don't want him to get suspended for 2 games. If you take the niggle and bite out of his game you take away what he is.

Edited by Window Cleaner

Agree with this, thought he did well.

I just hope he will police their scrums and line outs properly as they are one of the most aggressive, nasty cheating rugby teams in the division. Academy of football once upon a time........ Good to see a team who have found a novel way to sell their soul!

I just hope he will police their scrums and line outs properly as they are one of the most aggressive, nasty cheating rugby teams in the division. Academy of football once upon a time........ Good to see a team who have found a novel way to sell their soul!
Think you're getting a bit carried away now. They don't play the best football in the world, but they're nowhere near as bad as some are making out.

All Fat Sam teams always crowd the keeper and used dirty tactics. Just something else that we have to deal with. Jos is going to need to have a good game and the team will have to make sure we keep the ball at every opportunity.

Personally think his game could be decided on winning the second balls. We know the ball will be lumped to that fairy up top all game, but his touch is dreadful - Morgan and Cork are superb at just picking it off. Worth remembering last time we played them at their place, our team was...

31 Boruc

02 Clyne

03 Yoshida

05 Hooiveld Booked

06 Fonte

04 Schneiderlin Booked

08 S Davis (Ward-Prowse - 89' )

20 Lallana

21 Guly

42 Puncheon (Mayuka - 65' )

09 Rodriguez (Lambert - 65' )

Shaw will play, as will Cork and Lambert. 3 very important players for us this season. Ramirez might even start, although Lallana looked handy on Saturday and not sure Ramirez will be a able to perform in what will be a very physical game.

Fact is we didn't play badly there - were the better team in the first half. They were b*****ks. We conceded a poor goal virtually from kick off; but even then, after we got the score back to 2-1, we were the more likely to get the next goal *****il Fonte couldn't resist having a yank at the gypo's ponytail).

Even the stats show we dominated possession and had more chances. Not a 4-1 game, that's for sure.