Saints vs West Ham - Build Up

Lighthouse

I have a spare in Block 39, PM me before 9-30 if interested.

Ticket definitely available right up to kick-off tommo, will meet outside the ground. If you see this later please put an email address on here and I will get back to you at lunchtime,

Doubleonothing you have a PM, you're in.

I think it's an interesting debate on how you class a manager to have been successful. Moyes is obviously a decent manager but has won nothing of note, one fa cup runners up medal but consistently does well in the prem getting into the top 8 for the last 6 or so years, personally if I was an Everton fan I'd have wanted more from moyes In the 12 years he's been at the club. On the flip side I don't really rate Di matteo but he has a champions league trophy for being at Chelsea for 2 minutes. Allerdyce obviously isn't a poor manager, he was one of the first to use sports science and all that jazz but I believe the way the game is changing is different to the way allerdyce likes to play. Be interesting to see how west ham do next season.

This is exactly why comparisons are so futile as it is not just the mangers capabilities to coach identify and attract players that leads to success, but also the clubs ability to attract players and pay for them. Moyes has had little money available to him at Everton whils De Matteo inherited a big squad full of talented players with European experience some of whom (Terry Lampard etc) saw a last chance of the big one!

Poch has inherited a reasonable young squad with room for improvement and is backed with money and ambition by the club lets see what he can do with it. The way big Sam plays is also a result of what we has to work with (Like Pullis) little money and unable to attract top talent (as no one sees them aiming for the top) means a good bet is older more physical players and a long ball game aimed baisically at frustrating the more expensive fluid passing sides. This also means you cannot blood too many youngsters in such a system for fear of reducing your survival chances. This style whilst able to keep a side up and mid table at best is neve going to challenge the top 6.

So Horses for courses.

There is always of course the Harry model of spending way beyond your means for success, but success in this model, as we all know is fleeting and unaffordable with severe consequences to club survival down stream

So in summary to compare managers properly you need to look at where they managed, the players they had and the means available to them to influence change.

Edited by Saint Without a Halo

This game will reveal wether we can adapt and have any kind of plan b against direct teams, we have really struggled against more direct route one teams. I think westham will just bypass our midfield and get it straight to their attackers and our defence is fragile without midfield assistance.

As previously mentioned I will be taking my 6 year old daughter to her first game this afternoon. Well, Mrs F has instructed me to ask you all to refrain from using naughty words that might harm our little angel's tender sensibilities. thanks.

Oh, and to help you out in this regard I have listed below a few acceptable curses you might like to substitute for the more usual naughties:

Knave

Blackguard

Sugar

Dang

Heck

Buttocks

Glutes

Sugar

Dash it

Odds Bodkins

gadzooks

Well, at least I tried

This game will reveal wether we can adapt and have any kind of plan b against direct teams, we have really struggled against more direct route one teams. I think westham will just bypass our midfield and get it straight to their attackers and our defence is fragile without midfield assistance.

Yep looking forward to this one. Teams that park the bus against us are the ones we don't seem to be able to break down. Not saying WHU are that type of side but SA will be (is) defensively minded - I'm still going for a Saints win but it'll be tight.

Yep looking forward to this one. Teams that park the bus against us are the ones we don't seem to be able to break down. Not saying WHU are that type of side but SA will be (is) defensively minded - I'm still going for a Saints win but it'll be tight.

Its either gonna be a game with lots of goals ie a four three thriller or one side will scrape a one nil win

As previously mentioned I will be taking my 6 year old daughter to her first game this afternoon. Well, Mrs F has instructed me to ask you all to refrain from using naughty words that might harm our little angel's tender sensibilities. thanks.

Oh, and to help you out in this regard I have listed below a few acceptable curses you might like to substitute for the more usual naughties:

Knave

Blackguard

Sugar

Dang

Heck

Buttocks

Glutes

Sugar

Dash it

Odds Bodkins

gadzooks

Well, at least I tried

That's an awful lot of sugar for one cup of tea.......

Given the wet and windy conditions predicted, I'm not sure Wet Spam's hoofball is going to be so effective today. Ball will be moving around all over the place and will be better off on the ground. If BFS realises this it may play into our hands.

How many of West Ham's 4 goals against us at their place were from hoofball, by the way?

Two. So 50%.

Thank you young Charles. As I said to the other chap I can only remember their last goal.

While I don't think West Ham are anywhere near as bad a long ball team as others on here are conviced of, against us its probably their best plan. Even against Reading last week our defence looked most troubled with balls into the box. Chuck Andy Carroll and/or Carlton Cole into the mix and its the area I'd be most worried about, especially from corners.

How many of West Ham's 4 goals against us at their place were from hoofball, by the way?

Furthermore, I'm not really sure what your point is. It is generally accepted, including by West Ham's own fans, that their style of football is too direct for the purist's liking, so whether they scored 4 hoofball goals or 0 is irrelevant; it doesn't alter their general approach to the game. It's like saying that because we favour a pass and move pressing game that we would never score from a keeper's clearance or a long pass from a defender. We may well do from time to time but it doesn't change our general approach to playing football.

Furthermore, I'm not really sure what your point is. It is generally accepted, including by West Ham's own fans, that their style of football is too direct for the purist's liking, so whether they scored 4 hoofball goals or 0 is irrelevant; it doesn't alter their general approach to the game. It's like saying that because we favour a pass and move pressing game that we would never score from a keeper's clearance or a long pass from a defender. We may well do from time to time but it doesn't change our general approach to playing football.

My point was illustrated above so that should point it out for you. Not sure why you're getting so stroppy with a genuine question though.

Knave

Blackguard

Sugar

Dang

Heck

Buttocks

Glutes

Sugar

Dash it

Odds Bodkins

gadzooks

Well, at least I tried

Should be no problem. As it is I usually confine myself to a polite "Excuse me referee, are you absolutely certain that was the correct decision? Might you possibly reconsider ?"

Honest

Sh*ite weather

Virus "injuries"

Until this morning I thought we'd smash Wham - seriously pondering changing my prediction :(

Jesus... I'm starting to sound like one of the bedwetters on this forum - I'll have a major word with myself before heading off to SMS - COYR

Knave

Blackguard

Sugar

Dang

Heck

Buttocks

Glutes

Sugar

Dash it

Odds Bodkins

gadzooks

Well, at least I tried

don't forget that shoot or chute are always there to get you out of a sticky situation if you think quickly enough. Crap is also universally acceptable and bugger is current in most infants school playgrounds along with many other naughty naughty words.

BTW, might be worth starting with a 3rd CB at left back to counter West Ham's aerial threat? Hooiveld/Yoshida/Forren?

We tried that at West Ham this season and got torn apart with Yoshida left back. Keep it as is. Make them worry about us rather than us worrying about them.

We tried that at West Ham this season and got torn apart with Yoshida left back. Keep it as is. Make them worry about us rather than us worrying about them.

Well if Shaw isn't fit and if the papers are right that Fox is injured, we may not have much choice.

Don't know how Forren would be but if we are without a LB , I'd play Clyne on the left and Maya at RB.

Knave

Blackguard

Sugar

Dang

Heck

Buttocks

Glutes

Sugar

Dash it

Odds Bodkins

gadzooks

Well, at least I tried

I say Mr Referee, you are a complete nincompoop, and I disagree vehemently with the decision that you have just arrived at.

You didn't see last weeks game then?

OK, now I'm confused.

Just had a late Bacon & Egg Sarnie before heading down the Pub.

And BOTH the eggs had Double Yokes...

Hmm does this omen undo the Eric Watching/Lawro Predict? Does it mean 2 each for SRL & JRod?

Nope it just means I have to move my ass & get to the pub in time for 2 for 1 Happy Hour

Last few games we´ve had a lot of defenders on the bench, today is the other way around.

Fox hasn´t played a full game any time he has started under MP I think...... if he again just lasts 65-70 min.....is it Fonte on and and Yoshi out on LB then...?