Saints vs West Ham - Build Up

Lighthouse

Why are West Ham or Newcastle not considered half decent football clubs? How many English managers get jobs at any of the top 6 clubs these days? He doesn't play the nicest of football, but he's been a pretty successful manager throughout his career.

Half decent was probably the wrong description, but West Ham were in the Championship when he got the job and at Newcastle probably the highest profile job he's had he won 8 out of 24 and alienated the fans. He's never actually won anything and never been considered for a higher level job so I'm not sure how you could call that successful. An average abiltity manager that does decent jobs at clubs playing generally poor to watch football. As I said he's seen as a safe option and that's why West Ham got him. He got them up (just) and he's kept them up and he'll keep them up next year so clearly he's not a terrible manager and nor have I said he is. However if you maybe want to play some better football that the fans actually like watching and maybe see a few young players in the team that develop so the club grows I don't think he's a good manager in this regard.

Half decent was probably the wrong description, but West Ham were in the Championship when he got the job and at Newcastle probably the highest profile job he's had he won 8 out of 24 and alienated the fans. He's never actually won anything and never been considered for a higher level job so I'm not sure how you could call that successful. An average abiltity manager that does decent jobs at clubs playing generally poor to watch football. As I said he's seen as a safe option and that's why West Ham got him. He got them up (just) and he's kept them up and he'll keep them up next year so clearly he's not a terrible manager and nor have I said he is. However if you maybe want to play some better football that the fans actually like watching and maybe see a few young players in the team that develop so the club grows I don't think he's a good manager in this regard.
Loads of managers haven't won a trophy or been given a job in one of the top 6 clubs, doesn't meant that none of them have been a success. Off the top of my head I'd guess that there have only been 3 or 4 managers to have managed more games in the Prem than Allardyce - he must be doing something right then.

As per usual (no offence) it seems we're trying to overly simplify the judgement of someone's ability when it's impossible to do so.

I'm personally not a fan of Allerdyce - I think he's a bit old school and is not a 'coach' of players, but someone, like Harry, who tries to bring players together and motivate them to do a job, without actually improving them all that much. He's had good results in some places, not so good in others, no doubt partly due to the players he's had to work with, some fitting with his style, some not so much.

Very few managers get the chance to really make an impression on the game at the top level, unless they get a chance at a club with the resources to bring in the best players. Some managers engineer their own opportunities by improving players and improving a club so they break into the next 'group' of teams, much like Pochettino is trying to do, but certainly backed by the clubs finances. Sam has, IMO, had chances to improve clubs with decent resources, and move them on, but has only really done so at Bolton, whilst other clubs have only achieved what I would expect any half-decent manager to achieve.

So, he's half decent in my eyes, but nothing more. That said, I do think he'll improve West Ham a bit more as they, like us, settle in the Premier League a bit, but I don't think he has the skill, nor West Ham the resources, to really push on.

Lest we also forget, we've had managers who've done well with us, but not so well elsewhere, or vice-versa. Dave Jones is great example, below average here, but done well at Cardiff.

Loads of managers haven't won a trophy or been given a job in one of the top 6 clubs, doesn't meant that none of them have been a success. Off the top of my head I'd guess that there have only been 3 or 4 managers to have managed more games in the Prem than Allardyce - he must be doing something right then.

When I said trophies I didn't just mean the top ones, the guy has been managing for 20 years now and has a grand total of 1 Irish league title and a League 2 division title, 2 play-off wins as well as amassing a career win ratio of just over 40%. Compare to say Adkins who's been managing for about half the time and he has a 50% win ratio, won a league with S****horpe and a play off, several with Bangor and 2 league runner ups with us.

Again I'm not saying he's crap, just don't think you could him a 'sccuessful' manager', I didn't say he was awful or bad, just think he's an average manager, he'll do an ok job at a club.

How many Premier League clubs do you reckon if they lost their managers tomorrow and Allardyce was available would appoint him?

When I said trophies I didn't just mean the top ones, the guy has been managing for 20 years now and has a grand total of 1 Irish league title and a League 2 division title, 2 play-off wins as well as amassing a career win ratio of just over 40%. Compare to say Adkins who's been managing for about half the time and he has a 50% win ratio, won a league with S****horpe and a play off, several with Bangor and 2 league runner ups with us.

Again I'm not saying he's crap, just don't think you could him a 'sccuessful' manager', I didn't say he was awful or bad, just think he's an average manager, he'll do an ok job at a club.

How many Premier League clubs do you reckon if they lost their managers tomorrow and Allardyce was available would appoint him?

I'd take a guess at half a dozen Prem teams going for him to be honest. In my mind you don't manage for that long and for so many games at Premier League level if you're not at least half decent. Plenty of good managers haven't managed to last a fraction of his time in the top flight. Anyway, we're going round in circles and aren't going to agree, so may as well leave it there.

Hmm. I wouldn't go on trophies won or win percentage to determine a decent manager. Moyes isn't great with either.

I'd take a guess at half a dozen Prem teams going for him to be honest. In my mind you don't manage for that long and for so many games at Premier League level if you're not at least half decent. Plenty of good managers haven't managed to last a fraction of his time in the top flight. Anyway, we're going round in circles and aren't going to agree, so may as well leave it there.

This prompts a bigger question IMO... I agree that probably half a dozen clubs would look at Allardyce, but is that because they're too afraid/not got the foresight to look elsewhere for someone who is actually better? Like Cortese did?

Pochettino is far from proven yet, I'm not going to claim otherwise, but I get the feeling that with bigger risks potentially come bigger rewards and that the likes of Allardyce are a 'safe bet' to a certain degree, but don't strike me as the kind of manager who will push a club to a higher level.

Just a thought.

ahh of course, so when you said he'd never won any trophies, what you meant was you didnt mean top ones, like the FA Cup, Carling Cup or league as that would mean that on that basis you wouldn't rate David Moyes either as he's never won any of them. How stupid not to realise you were refering to the Johnstones Paint trophy and the league one title. What you meant was any trophy anywhere, except for the major ones. Except of course for League two titles, they dont count and except promotions, promotions dont count either, except when it comes to using them to support adkins, in which case they do count. And we can all see from your post that a 50% win ratio with your whole career bar half a season in L1 and the championship is much, much more impressive than a 40% win ratio in all bar one of the last 10 season in the premier league. We all know it's much tougher to win games in the lower leagues. Im glad you cleared that up.

Edited by Turkish

This prompts a bigger question IMO... I agree that probably half a dozen clubs would look at Allardyce, but is that because they're too afraid/not got the foresight to look elsewhere for someone who is actually better? Like Cortese did?

Pochettino is far from proven yet, I'm not going to claim otherwise, but I get the feeling that with bigger risks potentially come bigger rewards and that the likes of Allardyce are a 'safe bet' to a certain degree, but don't strike me as the kind of manager who will push a club to a higher level.

Just a thought.

This. I think you have hit the nail on the head with this.

Turkish I honestly couldn't give a flying salmon f*ck what you think. You being a registered user is the best thing to happen to this Forum and I'm entirely delighted that most post has riled you. I got the bit about Bolton incorrect I meant Blackburn, two B's what can you do.

He did very well at Bolton but has never kicked on from there, he left to Newcastle to win trophies and was widely hated for average results and sh*t football, that's why he was sacked.

He got some of his previous clubs to upper mid table and I also acknowledged that sacking him has been to their detriment something as usual you chose to ignore this because it would upset your tolling . If you read my comment with the other posts that were written around it I was responding to someone else who acknowlegded that Allardyce teams occasionally have a good season and bump themsleves up to top half but generally hover in the midtable area.

If he's such a good manager why the f*ck hasn't any half decent club had him as manager? and why has he been sacked so many times? Answer that one Mr 'think's he has the knowledge of all football'. Even all the West Ham fans know he was brought in to do a job of getting them up and keeping them up but have already started to question his tactics, style of football and long term planning.

As usual you cherry pick a post, take it out of context, and then proceed to act all smug like some stupid dog that has found a bone. Are you expecting some sort of keyboard warrior medla for finding a dew holes in my post? Or do you just crave attention? Hopefully you'll waste your other two posts on replyng to this as well so no one else has to listen to suffer you.

Clearly not. :lol:

The most hilarious thing about your angrily written response here is that you genuinely believe your bulls hit and incorrect statements in a bizarre and incorrect attempt to discredit a decent premier league manager no one gives a f*ck about riled me. There is only one person getting angry here sunshine and that ain't me.

Anyway i'm back now, decided to renew just for you. If cherry picking and trolling is reading your posts and pulling apart the blantent bul l**** in them then guilty.

Edited by Turkish

I think it's an interesting debate on how you class a manager to have been successful. Moyes is obviously a decent manager but has won nothing of note, one fa cup runners up medal but consistently does well in the prem getting into the top 8 for the last 6 or so years, personally if I was an Everton fan I'd have wanted more from moyes In the 12 years he's been at the club. On the flip side I don't really rate Di matteo but he has a champions league trophy for being at Chelsea for 2 minutes. Allerdyce obviously isn't a poor manager, he was one of the first to use sports science and all that jazz but I believe the way the game is changing is different to the way allerdyce likes to play. Be interesting to see how west ham do next season.

After seeing that f*ckwit Lawrenson has actually tipped us to win I'm suddenly a little nervous about this one.

Do not worry, I bet that other pundit Tony Gale did'nt tip us to win. I missed his spot this morning on Sky. Did anybody see it?

Allardyce clearly has his strengths and it would be foolish to argue otherwise but, for me, he's not a man for the long term. Deserves real credit for keeping Bolton and Blackburn up but never really progressed them as clubs (debatable Bolton did well but for me it was stopgap after stopgap with decent, but aging, pros) or brought through young talent.

The man for a job certainly and perhaps with a strong backroom to help his shortfalls he could manage higher up, for sure he is a good motivator, has an eye for the occassional bargain and knows how to set out sides to pick up points.

All this being said, even if wham finish above us, i'd rather have our lot then theirs. Longterm, even with the dodgy deal around the Olympic stadium, I'd fancy our prospects more.

Allardyce clearly has his strengths and it would be foolish to argue otherwise but, for me, he's not a man for the long term. Deserves real credit for keeping Bolton and Blackburn up but never really progressed them as clubs (debatable Bolton did well but for me it was stopgap after stopgap with decent, but aging, pros) or brought through young talent.

The man for a job certainly and perhaps with a strong backroom to help his shortfalls he could manage higher up, for sure he is a good motivator, has an eye for the occassional bargain and knows how to set out sides to pick up points.

All this being said, even if wham finish above us, i'd rather have our lot then theirs. Longterm, even with the dodgy deal around the Olympic stadium, I'd fancy our prospects more.

How valiant of you to praise Big Sam for "keeping Bolton up". Yes, he did just about manage to "keep them up". Just.

Eighth. Sixth. Eighth. Seventh. One season equal on points with the team in fifth, who happened to be European Champions Liverpool.

But yeah, to you that is clearly "not progressing".

Love to see the response on here if Poch delivers just one season to that level. I bet no one calls that "not progressing" or describes it as merely keeping us up.

What a joke.

How valiant of you to praise Big Sam for "keeping Bolton up". Yes, he did just about manage to "keep them up". Just.

Eighth. Sixth. Eighth. Seventh. One season equal on points with the team in fifth, who happened to be European Champions Liverpool.

But yeah, to you that is clearly "not progressing".

Love to see the response on here if Poch delivers just one season to that level. I bet no one calls that "not progressing" or describes it as merely keeping us up.

What a joke.

Yeah hold on calm it down. Dont think to presume my opinions on Pochetino in future scenarios.

What happened when Big Sam left Bolton? A few season and they went down with a mass of debt, an aging side, no real youth prospects to speak of ...

He did a good job at Bolton YES. But was it longterm? no, just look what happened when he left. Management is about more then just where the team is this season despite the short termism of many in the game.

How about getting of your high horse and kindly shoving your condescending reply somewhere creative.

The West Ham fans last year were unbearably arrogant.... BUT

.... reading through their forums this year (and in particular, in the build up to this game), many of them are absolutely fair and spot on with what they say. In fact, whilst I really do believe we have very, very underrated footballers and technically, are a top 6-8 team if we find consistency, I can understand exactly what they're saying on there with regards to our arrogance. Some of it on here has left me utterly incredulous, too.

For me, our "rivalry" was last year with them as we were both promo contenders. Now, it's just another game. I'm over their hilarious "riverboat promotion party" booking and I don't harbour any ill-will towards them. I don't really have anything to say about Sam's percentage football other than it works, but it isn't as "hoooooooooof" as people say. Then again, it's not our passing, pressing, high-tempo, sure, but it works for them and like us, they can most likely be looking forward to another season in the Prem next year.

Call me negative, but I'm expecting a tight 1-0 win or 1-1 draw. It'll be close between us, even if we are fortunate to have more "gifted" footballers.

Yeah hold on calm it down. Dont think to presume my opinions on Pochetino in future scenarios.

What happened when Big Sam left Bolton? A few season and they went down with a mass of debt, an aging side, no real youth prospects to speak of ...

He did a good job at Bolton YES. But was it longterm? no, just look what happened when he left. Management is about more then just where the team is this season despite the short termism of many in the game.

How about getting of your high horse and kindly shoving your condescending reply somewhere creative.

Four seasons top eight. Four seasons. After a good few seasons building the club up to that. Sam actually took Bolton up in the first place. Sounds pretty long term to me mate.

Maybe what happened after was down to mot having Sam in charge?

Just remind me what your expectation for Saints is then? If four seasons in a row in the top eight is just a flash in the pan, what does success look like for you exactly?

I'm not on a high horse. You're the one belittling four seasons top eight as "short term".

Fu cking love to see the reaction on here if we do that.

Four seasons top eight. Four seasons. After a good few seasons building the club up to that. Sam actually took Bolton up in the first place. Sounds pretty long term to me mate.

Maybe what happened after was down to mot having Sam in charge?

Just remind me what your expectation for Saints is then? If four seasons in a row in the top eight is just a flash in the pan, what does success look like for you exactly?

I'm not on a high horse. You're the one belittling four seasons top eight as "short term".

Fu cking love to see the reaction on here if we do that.

£140 million in debt. Thats simply not sustainable.

He got results no question but he did NOT build a club. They had no foundations.

You'r right him leaving was a catylyst for their decline but do you not think he shoulders any responsiblity for not trying to develop a youth strategy or keeping wages down?

Remind you? Dont think i've ever actually told you "mate".

I dont expect anything. I hope we continue to build the club around the academy and long term become a sustainable side playing good football and producing talented players (hopefully in the premier league!).

I did not belittle anything and in fact said he deserved credit. He did a good job and has some v strong attributes but im crystal clear I believe he also has flaws.

Think you've made assumptions based on god knows what about how I might react to us had we been in Bolton's position.

Don't really see why people have such a major dislike of West Ham on here, I don't like their style of play at the moment and find them dull to watch but other than I've got no problem with them (apart from their manager being a total cvnt). Don't think this will be a particularly easy game but think it'll finish 2-1 to us

Edited by Restark19

£140 million in debt. Thats simply not sustainable.

He got results no question but he did NOT build a club. They had no foundations.

You'r right him leaving was a catylyst for their decline but do you not think he shoulders any responsiblity for not trying to develop a youth strategy or keeping wages down?

Remind you? Dont think i've ever actually told you "mate".

I dont expect anything. I hope we continue to build the club around the academy and long term become a sustainable side playing good football and producing talented players (hopefully in the premier league!).

I did not belittle anything and in fact said he deserved credit. He did a good job and has some v strong attributes but im crystal clear I believe he also has flaws.

Think you've made assumptions based on god knows what about how I might react to us had we been in Bolton's position.

Thankfully being bankrolled by the slush fund of a dead Swiss bloke is far more noble and sustainable than terrible old Bolton.

At least Bolton had Sam for eight odd years who took them from mid-tier two to seventh and four seasons of top eight when he left. Sustained, repeated success however you look at it.

You seem to think its easy just to keep going and going and going in the Premier League top half season after season. Well we'll see how easy it is soon, won't we?

Anyway, be interesting to see Kevin Nolan for the Hammers tomorrow. He's a product of the Bolton Academy which obviously never existed.

.... reading through their forums this year (and in particular, in the build up to this game), many of them are absolutely fair and spot on with what they say. In fact, whilst I really do believe we have very, very underrated footballers and technically, are a top 6-8 team if we find consistency, I can understand exactly what they're saying on there with regards to our arrogance. Some of it on here has left me utterly incredulous, too.

For me, our "rivalry" was last year with them as we were both promo contenders. Now, it's just another game. I'm over their hilarious "riverboat promotion party" booking and I don't harbour any ill-will towards them. I don't really have anything to say about Sam's percentage football other than it works, but it isn't as "hoooooooooof" as people say. Then again, it's not our passing, pressing, high-tempo, sure, but it works for them and like us, they can most likely be looking forward to another season in the Prem next year.

Call me negative, but I'm expecting a tight 1-0 win or 1-1 draw. It'll be close between us, even if we are fortunate to have more "gifted" footballers.

Think they have an end of season boat party every year to be fair to them. Plenty of other clubs to dislike more in football than West Ham. Edited by Sour Mash

Think they have an end of season boat party every year to be fair to them. Plenty of other clubs to dislike more in football than West Ham.

Awww damn it, that took the fun out of the p1ss taking last year then :(

Seriously though, you're right. Plenty worse clubs than West Ham, I agree, however annoying they were last year!

Awww damn it, that took the fun out of the p1ss taking last year then :(

Seriously though, you're right. Plenty worse clubs than West Ham, I agree, however annoying they were last year!

Reading were far worse. Their fans were absolutely painful when they realised their other club might get promoted and Thier first team were going for a champions league and FA cup double.

This.

I said something somewhere about the difference between this year and last year. They look OK now that they got all their toys back in the pram. They were shockingly arrogant while in the championship, but somehow know their place in the Premiership. No problems with me there. :)

@SaintsfcCop: @Lee_R1989 3,200 is the full allocation for league games, each club can request up to this number, WHU only asked for 2,600 = more for homes.

Strange they'd only request 2,600. Block 43 in the Northam home support tomorrow then.

Strange, their following is normally pretty decent.

Thankfully being bankrolled by the slush fund of a dead Swiss bloke is far more noble and sustainable than terrible old Bolton.

At least Bolton had Sam for eight odd years who took them from mid-tier two to seventh and four seasons of top eight when he left. Sustained, repeated success however you look at it.

You seem to think its easy just to keep going and going and going in the Premier League top half season after season. Well we'll see how easy it is soon, won't we?

Anyway, be interesting to see Kevin Nolan for the Hammers tomorrow. He's a product of the Bolton Academy which obviously never existed.

Nonsense. If you read my post you'd see that I look forward to the days we are sustainable, something we are actively pushing for, and did not actually comment at all on the source of either teams money.

I do not think it is easy. I swear you'r reading my posts and ignoring the actual content. It was a big ask, he did WELL. That is not my dispute. I firmly believe that they did not have a logner term vision under Big Sam and this has cost them. Name the players who have came through Bolton's acamdemy or even young players who's careers have been developed at Bolton. Not many for sure. We are a long way behind where bolton were so I dont think comparisons, at this time, are helpful. We were League one teo seasons ago!

One player does not an academy make. Hunt, the rb? He did ok and came through under Big Sam but who else...?

Either way why do you have such a bee in your bonnet over this? I rate Allardyce but maintain he was flawed, you disagree, whats the major issue?

Jrod Shaw and Puncb all doubts

Not what MP said. He said they had viruses and would need to be monitored. Actually punch even made it to he training gallery so looks like he ill be ok for sure. Expect the others to be ok too. But may not risk Shaw

Not what MP said. He said they had viruses and would need to be monitored. Actually punch even made it to he training gallery so looks like he ill be ok for sure. Expect the others to be ok too. But may not risk Shaw

Shaw is the one player there i'd really like us to risk.

Anyway, back to the match tomorrow.

This has got 0-0 written all over it.

+1, it wouldn't be a bad result, a point closer to safety and that 38 point mark that some think would keep us up, but personally we're good enough to beat West Ham. The virus thing could prove decisive though.

I know it doesn't do us personally any favours, but I'll also be routing for Newcastle on Sunday...

Would a Villa win be best if we didn't win?

Dont get your point.

Fulham are closer to us than Villa. If we lose and Villa win the goal difference means that we would still be 2 points ahead of Villa - which is how far we are now behind Fulham. Any other set of results and we will still be closer to Fulham than Villa.

Lets have a Villa win as Fulham are closer to us than Villa and we can take our chances against West Ham.

I've got a bad feeling about this game, I just see West Ham's hoofball causing us problems and Carroll bullying our defence.

This is the sort of game that, over the years, after a good run and beating some good sides, we screw up yes !

Be happier if we were playing a team that plays football against us.