Swansea 0-0 SAINTS // Post-Match Reaction

Saint-Armstrong

Well, we're 3 points closer to safety after todays results. One more point and worst case safety has gone down from 47 points to 45.

Wigan 31 points - beat Spurs, WBA, Swans, Arsenal - 15 points - 44 points

Villa 34 points - beat Chelsea, Utd, Sunderland - 12 points - 44 points

Wigan and Villa Draw

Norwich 38 points - beat Villa, West Brom, City - 12 points - 47 points

Stoke 37 points - beat Saints, Spurs, QPR, Norwich - 12 points - 46 points

Sunderland 37 points - beat Spurs, Saints, Stoke - 12 points - 46 points

Edited by Lighthouse

Kraken's player ratings:

Boruc: 8. Largely untroubled but superb when needed. Distribution pretty good (though seemed to kick long a bit more often than usual).

Clyne: 7. Good defensive display, got forward well but once again failed to pick the right pass when getting in really good positions.

Fox: 5. Torrid first 20 minutes but got a grip and sorted himself out. Failed to support the play going forwards though, Shaw must come back in next week surely.

Yoshida: 6. Comfortable enough but never really got the idea the defence was fully calm at times.

Hooiveld: 6. As above, lucky that Boruc bailed him out with a great save.

Schneiderlin: 7. Typically good battling display.

Cork: 8.5 MOTM. Second week in a row I've given him MOTM, he was absolutely superb today. If he could just add goals to his game....

Davis: 7. Good display, has definitely added a settling effect to the midfield, especially away from home. Feel like he has improved throughout the season.

Lallana: 5. Poor; a few nice touches but didn't do much at all.

Rodriguez: 7. Good running from JRod without too many chances for him. Has he got quicker? Aboslutely rapid at times.

Lambert: 5. Not at the races today.

Ramirez: 5. Pretty poor really, gave it away too much and didn't have an impact coming on.

Puncheon: 5. Looked rusty, also gave it away a bit and didn't offer much going forward.

Mayuka: 6. Looked lively, could have got himself a goal. Would be good if he could turn out to be a genuine sub option up front.

I'm no fan of fox but to give him a 5 today mr Krakone is extremely harsh. Never really looked troubled. Other than that fair assessment. I thought we were playing safe and hoping to nick it which we almost did. A bit like Wham last week but with a lot more finesse. Anyway a point will absolutely do.

Well, we're 3 points closer to safety after todays results. One more point and worst case safety has gone down from 47 points to 45.

Villa 34 points - beat Wigan, Chelsea, Utd, Sunderland - 12 points - 44 points

well that's all wrong isn't it ? 4 victories out of 5 would still only give Wigan 43 points.

Hard fought win. Lost some shape with lambert going off, no one to hold the ball up or play off.

Team looked very tired for last 15 or so.

Lallana doesn't look full fit.

Cork played very well and toss up between him and YOSHIDA for mom who I thought was brilliant. Lots of important tackles and interceptions.

Morgan not at his best and great save from Boruc who is now showing how many points can be added on to the end of the season with a decent keeper.

Overall, played well in spells but Swansea are also a decent team.

Futures bright, the race for top 10 is still on!

I'm no fan of fox but to give him a 5 today mr Krakone is extremely harsh. Never really looked troubled. Other than that fair assessment. I thought we were playing safe and hoping to nick it which we almost did. A bit like Wham last week but with a lot more finesse. Anyway a point will absolutely do.

Never looked troubled? According to the taters I watched, if Dyer had any idea how to play a final ball Swansea could have been out of sight. His first 20 minutes was terrible, though he did do a lot better than that for the rest of the game. I'm not Fox basher for sure, I don't mind him and as a reserve full back we could do a lot worse. But he's not good enough for a starting spot and I thought he struggled at times today.

Anyway, its all about opinions so I respect you feel differently :toppa:

Villa 34 points - beat Wigan, Chelsea, Utd, Sunderland - 12 points - 44 points

Lighthouse, have you been on the seed of the poppy out there mate?

A good result no doubt under a team that plays some nice, flair football. Some cracking bargains other than Vorm and Michu in there, Pablo Hernandez is class for just under 6 million and De Guzman and Dyer are no outcasts. They are looking like the team we should be next season.

Some defensive woes and I think the team are now starting to just shift to the slow lane in a run-in that we hardly expected to be such a nice stroll in the sun. All in all both teams are very similar and just fitted into each others game. Lots of neat moves, nice passing and generally pleasant football but little room for great chances and generally ambition to go for a win was frankly not there. Taking Lambert off was the only thing that changed this a bit but A point we would all take at their stadium IMO.

MOM Boruc, Cork a close contender but Steven Davis just keeps impressing me.

Never looked troubled? According to the taters I watched, if Dyer had any idea how to play a final ball Swansea could have been out of sight. His first 20 minutes was terrible, though he did do a lot better than that for the rest of the game. I'm not Fox basher for sure, I don't mind him and as a reserve full back we could do a lot worse. But he's not good enough for a starting spot and I thought he struggled at times today.

Anyway, its all about opinions so I respect you feel differently :toppa:

Mate the opinion respect is mutual. Tbf didn't see the first 20 and when I tuned in to discover he was on the pitch I was really concerned, but from then on he just never looked in any kind of difficulty which was a total surprise and a welcome one.

Villa 34 points - beat Chelsea, Utd, Sunderland - 12 points - 44 points

Wigan and Villa Draw

Worrying set of fixtures for Villa given Sunderland have started to play well under Di Canio

Hard fought win. Lost some shape with lambert going off, no one to hold the ball up or play off.

Team looked very tired for last 15 or so.

Lallana doesn't look full fit.

Cork played very well and toss up between him and YOSHIDA for mom who I thought was brilliant. Lots of important tackles and interceptions.

Morgan not at his best and great save from Boruc who is now showing how many points can be added on to the end of the season with a decent keeper.

Overall, played well in spells but Swansea are also a decent team.

Futures bright, the race for top 10 is still on!

It was a draw...

Have to say the formation didn't help in the first twenty for Fox. Often had two on one unless cork came across to help with AL being stuck up the pitch or more central to really help. Far as i'm concerned he help up Dyer pretty well most of the time and did a decent job.

People seem to have thought it was dross, was I alone in enjoying it? Perhaps it's just not having to watch fearing a bad result would be a disaster for us (imagine others, that twonk dalek aside, may have felt something similar!).

That was absolutely awful viewing! Good point though.

Yep, but as someone else said I think the teams did rather cancel eachother out.

It was frustrating listening as well as watching, with Barry Horne showing his Welsh roots rather than balanced objectivity.

Have to say the formation didn't help in the first twenty for Fox. Often had two on one unless cork came across to help with AL being stuck up the pitch or more central to really help. Far as i'm concerned he help up Dyer pretty well most of the time and did a decent job.

People seem to have thought it was dross, was I alone in enjoying it? Perhaps it's just not having to watch fearing a bad result would be a disaster for us (imagine others, that twonk dalek aside, may have felt something similar!).

No I thought it was a decent game to watch, both sides were singularly lacking in the final 20 yards though. Good defences I guess.

A good point. It's a shame the teams behind us are picking up points - relegation isn't a worry anymore with Wigan's defeat today but a few more points would keep us above the chasing pack and would give us a very creditable finishing position. Norwich now one point behind us, and Sunderland are creeping up with their form under Di Canio. I can see us getting 3 points against West Brom next week but the two games after that will be tough. Should finish on 43-44 points I reckon, wherever that would get us.

That was absolutely awful viewing! Good point though.

Not really awful, both sides made chances, gave it a really good go and didn't decent to trying to kick it from a terrible dive/cheeky hoof. Two good footballing sides playing properly and ultimately cancelling each other out.

A good point. It's a shame the teams behind us are picking up points - relegation isn't a worry anymore with Wigan's defeat today but a few more points would keep us above the chasing pack and would give us a very creditable finishing position. Norwich now one point behind us, and Sunderland are creeping up with their form under Di Canio. I can see us getting 3 points against West Brom next week but the two games after that will be tough. Should finish on 43-44 points I reckon, wherever that would get us.

Quite frankly anything above the relegation zone has to be pleasing...but we do seem to be fizzling out.

A good point, but because of Stoke and Sunderlands results we are getting sucked back into the mix. We need another win, preferably against one of those two.

what mix? the only mix that I can see contains Villa and Wigan. Reading and QPR gone so just Villa and Wigan to bludgeon it out on the last day.

Good point from a dreadful match. Saints played with zero width and tempo and were lucky that Swansea were equally as poor. Strange tactics from MP, and his dress sense was also way off the mark. Sturrock was castigated for being a scruff but this guy is even worse! It looks like we may crawl over the finish line. A long way off being a top 10 team, never mind CL. Ignoring the first 10 games, NA's and MP's records are very similar now.

Good point from a dreadful match. Saints played with zero width and tempo and were lucky that Swansea were equally as poor. Strange tactics from MP, and his dress sense was also way off the mark. Sturrock was castigated for being a scruff but this guy is even worse! It looks like we may crawl over the finish line. A long way off being a top 10 team, never mind CL. Ignoring the first 10 games, NA's and MP's records are very similar now.

Not really giving Swansea much credit there, they played with a lot of purpose and similarly to us played the attacking players of the game very well. Both sides struggled to create chances for being good at playing football. One or two more options going forward, little bit more fitness from our attacking players and it'll get better next year.

A good point, but because of Stoke and Sunderlands results we are getting sucked back into the mix. We need another win, preferably against one of those two.

The voice of reason. That is what I have been saying, but have been lambasted all day.

Interesting that Norwich, Stoke and Sunderland talking about needing another 3 or 4 points.

Just hope that Wigan lose their game in hand.

Actually our form since the first 10 games would have put us 7th in the League last season.

Good Point.

I notice we still have the same attention seeking whores on here though, and the same people seem who bite.

This!

Would have posted something similar but as I said in my last post, I can't be bothered with all the usual trolls making the same predictable comments when you express your view or ask a genuine question.

True, although with Wigan losing it gives us breathing space.

Yes, I feel we have just about enough space to breath at the moment but if we lose all our remaining games do you think I will be breathing easily? Like **** will I.

A decent point given we're away from home and the quality of the opposition, then plus with Wigan losing it feels good as well. Sunderland and Norwich winning mean they are right on our tails but ultimately with Villa and Wigan facing some tricky games you have to say the final relegation spot is between those two and I feel like Saints will be fine (though not all my worry will go until we're mathematically safe).

Bit worrying about Pochettino mentioning Lambert struggling with injury over the last month or so. I know last season he had a hip problem we had to manage throughout the last few months of the season (same with Lallana's groin) so lets hope that clears up for the run in.

Good result, but lucky that Wigan lose as very tight at the bottom.

8 points clear of Wigan and they have five to go. I think we need one more win to be safe.

Chance of relegation now 0.07% and chances of 10th or better 22%

http://www.sportsclubstats.com/England/Southampton.html

I think we are clearly safe and have been for some time! time to look up not down!

Thought Lallana was pretty poor again, as he was last week. Ricky as well although he can be excused at the end of a long season. I'd try and play Ramirez wide right next week, leave Davis/JRod or even give Mayuka a game

Boruc brilliant again as i thought were Cork and Yoshi. Britton is an excellent player for them, i'd have him in our team tomorrow

On another note Will Buckley was awesome again for Brighton, wonder if he could make the step up?