FA Cup or 4th place?

SNSUN

FA Cup or 4th place? (if you had to choose)  

181 members have voted

1. 1. FA Cup or 4th place? (if you had to choose)

If you were there in 1976 then the answer is very clear. Also, the history books will always show that have you won something. Fourth place in the PL is not winning.....do we celebrate 2nd in the 80's? Anyway, the CL will probably be re-branded in future, as the Fairs Cup, UEFA Cup, Cup Winners Cup, and the European Cup were. Therefore, what's the point in celebrating qualification for the preliminary rounds of some competition whose name will change continuously over the next 50 years - one that we will never win. I would take the FA Cup and a sojourn into the Europa any day. Yes, Arsenal are embarrassing, and if I were an Arsenal fan I would question why the club disrespect the FA Cup as a competition. 50,000 Saints fans had a great day out for the JPT. Imagine the excitement for the real thing?

If you were there in 1976 then the answer is very clear. Also, the history books will always show that have you won something. Fourth place in the PL is not winning.....do we celebrate 2nd in the 80's? Anyway, the CL will probably be re-branded in future, as the Fairs Cup, UEFA Cup, Cup Winners Cup, and the European Cup were. Therefore, what's the point in celebrating qualification for the preliminary rounds of some competition whose name will change continuously over the next 50 years - one that we will never win. I would take the FA Cup and a sojourn into the Europa any day. Yes, Arsenal are embarrassing, and if I were an Arsenal fan I would question why the club disrespects the FA Cup as a competition. 50,000 Saints fans had a great day out for the JPT. Imagine the excitement for the real thing? I am a football fan and therefore I want to see my glorious team win something rather than make a few million quid which would be quickly spent in the pursuit of the unattainable. Leeds, Leeds, Leeds….

FA Cup for sure.

Who still talks about the great day at the millennium stadium even though it was a defeat?

Certainly more than talk about the defeat in the UEFA cup that followed it.

Imagine winning the cup again - that would be awesome, and defo better than playing in a quali match for the champion league.

Interesting question, 4th place doesn't = Champions League as we'd have to qualify for the tournament proper. That is why I went for FA Cup.

If the question was 2nd place V FA cup, I'd have chosen 2nd place.

This really. An actual cup win as well as an European adventure to a qualification round to the CL in which we would be unseeded - no contest for me.

Or not. Just ask Leeds fans, they haven't looked back since playing in the champions league have they.

A greater case can be made for the skates, FA Cup winners 5 years ago, finalists 3 ago and now languishing in league 2. Wimbledon won but now don't exist, Boro finalists and bet they would have preferred 4th.

A greater case can be made for the skates, FA Cup winners 5 years ago, finalists 3 ago and now languishing in league 2. Wimbledon won but now don't exist, Boro finalists and bet they would have preferred 4th.

Not really. Some people on here think scraping 4th is the gateway to glory and non stop success thereafter, it isn't.

4th place for me. Because it would (probably) indicate a sensational long-term future for the club. If we are strong enough to get 4th in the league next year, we'll win a cup soon enough, I'd think.

If we just have a single great CUp run, but end up 14th again, that would count as a great season, but wouldn't really mean we're moving forwards in a big way.

FA Cup. Where is the fun in scraping into 4th place in one competiton you've got no chance of winning to earn the right to enter another competition you've got no chance of winning, I found it cringeworthy seeing Arsenal players and fans leaping around like they'd won the World Cup when they clinched fourth place last week. I'd be embarrassed acting like that if I was them.

This.

FA Cup. Where is the fun in scraping into 4th place in one competiton you've got no chance of winning to earn the right to enter another competition you've got no chance of winning, I found it cringeworthy seeing Arsenal players and fans leaping around like they'd won the World Cup when they clinched fourth place last week. I'd be embarrassed acting like that if I was them.

Do you think this could be more to do with the players wanting to compete in club footballs biggest competition? Long hard season and missing out of top 4 would have also seen many of them leaving the club to play in the champions league. They also just secured another huge amount of money, that I believe they will use this summer.

4th all day long.

To finish 4th would be a far greater achievement than winning the cup.To finish in the top 4 will need a major step up in quality from where we are now,whereas we could take a step back in terms of quality and still win the cup.

Now let me see win a trophy or come forth???

I'd take an FA cup win over forth every time. In forty years time will they be discussing how Arsenal had a great ten year period always coming forth & qualifying for the champions league? No but they will be talking about how lowly Wigan outclassed the mighty Man City to WIN the FA cup. They still talk today about the big cup upsets Sunderland, Saints, West Ham, Wimbledon. A win puts you in the history books & can never be taken away. No one looks at how many times you finished in the top four.

However a top four finish is not to be sneezed at & if we don't win the cup next year I'd settle for that.;)

Off topic slightly but I think that FA Cup winner should take the '3rd' champions league spot, therefore automatically qualifying and 3rd place should get the '4th' spot and have to go through the qualifying. Then maybe people will care about the cup abit more and stop celebrating a 4th place finish.

100% FA is an easy decision, big whoop we qualified 4th so have Newcastle, Everton, Leeds and spurs,

None of them have 'cemented' themselves. So yeah FA cup win followed by Europa cup win then! The champions league easy haha

Got to be 4th. What a cracking season that would be, and what an achievement. Also, as pointed out above, it would suggest that we are moving to another level, lots more money in the CL, probably a better choice of player available to us.

4th place, would love us to win an FA cup but where does it get you these days? Means a lot less in modern football than it used to.

4th would actually be a much bigger achievement and give the club the opportunity to kick on.

4th place for me. Those saying we wouldn't win a trophy, we didn't win a trophy in the previous two years when we finished 2nd and 2nd but they were probably my most enjoyable seasons being a supporter of Saints.

Also, those saying Arsenal are an embarrassment for celebrating fourth, I think you have to remember the manner in which they won it; written off by everybody after being completely out of it and pipping their biggest rivals on the last day of the season is worthy of celebration to me.

4th place, would love us to win an FA cup but where does it get you these days? Means a lot less in modern football than it used to.

I don't know, I think it means just as much to the fans of the winning club but the rest of the country isn't quite so concerned.

FA Cup. Still ****es me off a fair bit that we let the Championship slip last season, would have loved to have Saints name on that old trophy for eternity. Same goes for scraping through out of League One. JPT was nice but going up as Champions to the Prem would have been a great achievement (we'll gloss over the fact that it did Reading no good)

4th would actually be a much bigger achievement and give the club the opportunity to kick on.

So you dont think Man City kicked on after winning the FA Cup a couple of years ago?

Read the thread.

Ok, just checked. Nobody said it. A few people suggesting that 4th could be good for getting extra income, chance to sign better players and giving ourselves a chance to progress.

Oh dear you haven't just made something up again have you?

Ok, just checked. Nobody said it. A few people suggesting that 4th could be good for getting extra income, chance to sign better players and giving ourselves a chance to progress.

Oh dear you haven't just made something up again have you?

Singing better players, a chance to progress. What does progressing from finish 4th look like if its not greater success?

Oh dear, failed to get it again haven't you.

+1.

FA Cup, no contest.

Finishing 4th maybe a lot tougher ask in reality but it aint actually winning anything. Can't see those extra millions helping me out much either, a trophy in the bank would mean so much more as a fan than a healthy balance....

So you dont think Man City kicked on after winning the FA Cup a couple of years ago?

Yeh cos Man City are a great example aren't they, their success is clearly built on that FA Cup win, not the millions and millions they have spent. Totally stupid argument, but you are trolling as per usual because people don't agree with you, every other fricking post is yours.

Look at the non top 4 FA Cup finalists of recent years they are nowhere, Wigan are relegated, Portsmouth in league 2, Stoke in a relegation battle this year, Cardiff just got out of the championship, Millwall still in the championship.

Spurs got in the champs league and are still around the top 6, same with Everton.

Singing better players, a chance to progress. What does progressing from finish 4th look like if its not greater success?

Oh dear, failed to get it again haven't you.

Is progressing from 4th a "gateway to glory and non stop success thereafter" then?

Yeh cos Man City are a great example aren't they, their success is clearly built on that FA Cup win, not the millions and millions they have spent. Totally stupid argument, but you are trolling as per usual because people don't agree with you, every other fricking post is yours.

Look at the non top 4 FA Cup finalists of recent years they are nowhere, Wigan are relegated, Portsmouth in league 2, Stoke in a relegation battle this year, Cardiff just got out of the championship, Millwall still in the championship.

Spurs got in the champs league and are still around the top 6, same with Everton.

So other than Man City, who you rightly say aren't a great example because of the hundreds of millions spent, which clubs have 'kicked on' after finishing 4th once?

Is progressing from 4th a "gateway to glory and non stop success thereafter" then?

Spurs would say no.

It depends on what the clubs around you are doing. You may be able to have a good season and get into a european place but if a rival gets taken over by Opec and pushes you out it can be difficult to fight back in, regardless of how you are being run. Everton also saw the flip side, as St Chalet stated above, 4th just gets you into the qualifying stages, if you have no European pedigree you will face a harsh tie due to the ceedings. Everton couldn't get past a Villareal team in full flight. If it was Saints having a storming upturn in fortunes we would be in the same boat, facing a Valencia, A Steaua Bucharest, a Benfica.

The FA Cup win is a glory day, something to remember forever. A fourth place finish only gives you the certainty of a Europa League place.

Edited by Colinjb

What would you consider progress from finishing 4th then?

I would say that consistency at that level, and cup success would represent progressing from a one season in 4th. I guess if you could achieve that for a few years you'd be looking at trying to win the league and a run in the CL. It's all hypothetical, as per the ops question.

I would say that consistency at that level, and cup success would represent progressing from a one season in 4th. I guess if you could achieve that for a few years you'd be looking at trying to win the league and a run in the CL. It's all hypothetical, as per the ops question.

So cup success would be seen as progress would it??!!

And then after finishing fourth we'd be looking at cup success and then win the premier league and champions league run.

So when you attempted to mock me for saying that people think finishing 4th was the gateway to glory and we'd don what no other club had done and progress from a one off 4th place finish, you then go onto say that you'd expect us to win cups and challenge for the premier league as progress from this, thanks for showing up and proving me right by your own admission, good work sunshine.

Edited by Turkish

This. I was in Manchester watching with some united fans and they all commented on how it was a sign of how far they have fallen when they are celebrating finishing fourth. Pathetic for a club like Arsenal to behave like that

No, no, no. You asked me what progress would be from finishing fourth, and I told you that. I didn't say that I "expect" it to happen, and that it was the "gateway to glory and non stop success thereafter", only that it would represent progress.

I mocked you because you made up a statement, as is your way, stating that people had said that finishing 4th would be a gateway to glory and non stop success thereafter, when in fact nobody had said that. You then mocked people for saying it, when it was you that had made it up. It's what you do, you mock the "mongoard" as you so charmingly call it by generalising about some sort of group consencous that doesn't exist and then mocking it in an attempt, presumably, to make yourself feel better?

No, no, no. You asked me what progress would be from finishing fourth, and I told you that. I didn't say that I "expect" it to happen, and that it was the "gateway to glory and non stop success thereafter", only that it would represent progress.

I mocked you because you made up a statement, as is your way, stating that people had said that finishing 4th would be a gateway to glory and non stop success thereafter, when in fact nobody had said that. You then mocked people for saying it, when it was you that had made it up. It's what you do, you mock the "mongoard" as you so charmingly call it by generalising about some sort of group consencous that doesn't exist and then mocking it in an attempt, presumably, to make yourself feel better?

Nice try, you say yourself that progress from 4th, which a lot of people have described as 'kicking on' in your eyes would mean winning trophies, including the league eventually and runs in the champions league, if winning the league and cups isn't glory what is? Several on here seemed to believe a 4th place finish would enable that to happen, ie be 'the gateway' your own definition of 'kicking on' or 'progress' has proven this. Not gone well for you this thread has it.

DAFUQ!!!I thought it was going to be 50-50. The FA cup=1 million 4th=75 or something million. We would become a big club, we could be in the Champions League. If we get top 4. It would make our fan base way bigger, we could expand the stadium and try out safe standing. I know that the FA cup you get to go to Wembley, have Southampton engraved in the trophy again, the bus parade. I am split but top 4 is more appealing as we could do what Wigan have done. Au revoir Wigan. :cry:

DAFUQ!!!I thought it was going to be 50-50. The FA cup=1 million 4th=75 or something million. We would become a big club, we could be in the Champions League. If we get top 4. It would make our fan base way bigger, we could expand the stadium and try out safe standing. I know that the FA cup you get to go to Wembley, have Southampton engraved in the trophy again, the bus parade. I am split but top 4 is more appealing as we could do what Wigan have done. Au revoir Wigan. :cry:

Correct me if i'm wrong on the prize money plz