Official - Dejan Lovren Signs

Saint Garrett

I've been ridiculed a few times the past year for saying Soton will be a top 8 club in the next 5 years, and I stand by it.

This guy is going to be be proved right as a minority voice who saw which way the wind is blowing here and made a reasoned judgement. In my opinion we will be there well before 5 years, so I don't believe it is as if he was making too outlandish a prediction. What would be really good, would be us getting above them at some stage of the plan. I suspect that they will improve, but at the moment they place too much reliance on Suarez's goals, much like Spurs did on Bale's and who knows whether those two will still be with those clubs next season?

Been thinking a bit more about this signing, and despite the negative feeling in some parts of the media I'm still genuinely really upbeat about it. Look at it this way; if he were a starting centre back for Lyon, about to play in the Champions League next season, there's simply no way we'd have signed him. Us signing first choice players from top level Champions League teams simply isn't going to happen. This is the next best thing though, a good prospect who didn't quite live up to the hype of a big 4 club. And apparently for less than £10M, which for a 23 year old international for one of the top 5 clubs in the world isn't a huge outlay. I'm all for going for younger players but this dude has plenty of top level experience too, which could be invaluable. I just hope we don't adopt the Forren model of signing with him, and rest him for 9 months....

This guy is going to be be proved right as a minority voice who saw which way the wind is blowing here and made a reasoned judgement. In my opinion we will be there well before 5 years, so I don't believe it is as if he was making too outlandish a prediction. What would be really good, would be us getting above them at some stage of the plan. I suspect that they will improve, but at the moment they place too much reliance on Suarez's goals, much like Spurs did on Bale's and who knows whether those two will still be with those clubs next season?

He goes on to clarify that he means not just as a one off but as a club that repeatedly finishes top 8, season after season. So his 5 years is valid. Someone else on there chidingly makes the comparison to Everton, but Merseyside rivalry apart its actually a very fair comparison and a decent ambition for us to have. Still a bit of a way off yet though IMO.

He goes on to clarify that he means not just as a one off but as a club that repeatedly finishes top 8, season after season. So his 5 years is valid. Someone else on there chidingly makes the comparison to Everton, but Merseyside rivalry apart its actually a very fair comparison and a decent ambition for us to have. Still a bit of a way off yet though IMO.

We were never going to try and buy our way top 6 - the Chelsea, City PSG, and now Monaco model etc we are not anywhere near that level of financial power... But if there is one model we seem closer to its that of Dortmund. A strong mix of homegrown and bought youngsters - growing and developing together, and playing a style that offers a greater sum than its parts suggest.

The problem any club in the PL has with these 'deluded ambitions' is that the PL has 4 or 6 clubs whose financial muscle is such that even with the Dortmund model, it will be unlikely to bring you top 4... Dortmund had one huge advantage... Other than B Munich the competition is far more equitable financially. Thus gaining CL football, they can hold on to players for far longer than clubs not competing at that level. Lets be honest they are a club in which their stars made their name at Dortmund, not huge expensive star player signings.

So what is pretty sad is that the PL is a closed shop re top 4 with the odd exception as the history of our game seems to have attracted the oligarchs and Arab oil money more so than in other EU leagues where the ownership model rules are more restrictive.. Hence France seems a new target...

We were never going to try and buy our way top 6 - the Chelsea, City PSG, and now Monaco model etc we are not anywhere near that level of financial power... But if there is one model we seem closer to its that of Dortmund. A strong mix of homegrown and bought youngsters - growing and developing together, and playing a style that offers a greater sum than its parts suggest.

The problem any club in the PL has with these 'deluded ambitions' is that the PL has 4 or 6 clubs whose financial muscle is such that even with the Dortmund model, it will be unlikely to bring you top 4... Dortmund had one huge advantage... Other than B Munich the competition is far more equitable financially. Thus gaining CL football, they can hold on to players for far longer than clubs not competing at that level. Lets be honest they are a club in which their stars made their name at Dortmund, not huge expensive star player signings.

So what is pretty sad is that the PL is a closed shop re top 4 with the odd exception as the history of our game seems to have attracted the oligarchs and Arab oil money more so than in other EU leagues where the ownership model rules are more restrictive.. Hence France seems a new target...

Platini has gone all quiet now his beloved PSG are throwing mega money around. Let alone Monaco

It probably helps that Dortmund are the second biggest club in Germany playing in the biggest stadium too, yes?

This guy is going to be be proved right as a minority voice who saw which way the wind is blowing here and made a reasoned judgement. In my opinion we will be there well before 5 years, so I don't believe it is as if he was making too outlandish a prediction.

We've finished top eight in the living memory of pretty much every Saints fan on earth, so obviously it isn't outlandish.

I don't think there is anyone on this forum who thinks we can't finish eighth.

It probably helps that Dortmund are the second biggest club in Germany playing in the biggest stadium too, yes?

Well look at their bankrupt state a few years back... Of course it helps, but they have languished mid table for many seasons since winning the CL back in 97

and gate revenues are not that much higher than ours given there pricing....

Maintain, it's about CL football - means you keeps the talent at least for a couple of seasons... And general attitude. Here 17 year olds seem to want it all now .....

It seems to be the English thing to see them as "little old Dortmund". Despite them winning the CL in 90s and as you say having an enormous ground that they fill out whilst winning their domestic league 5 times in the past 20 years.

Well look at their bankrupt state a few years back... Of course it helps, but they have languished mid table for many seasons since winning the CL back in 97

and gate revenues are not that much higher than ours given there pricing....

Maintain, it's about CL football - means you keeps the talent at least for a couple of seasons... And general attitude. Here 17 year olds seem to want it all now .....

being one of the biggest clubs in your country is also going to help regardless of champions league football. Do you think Gerrard would have stayed his entire career at Liverpool if they had been West Brom sized?

being one of the biggest clubs in your country is also going to help regardless of champions league football. Do you think Gerrard would have stayed his entire career at Liverpool if they had been West Brom sized?

Remember, this crop mostly arrived BEFORE they were back in contention.... (Turkish- the Adrian Durham of the SWF)

Does it? Their ticket prices are so low there might not be much of difference between them and Saints next season in terms of ticket revenue.

What are their ticket prices. And hot dog/drinks prices inside the ground? Can you give us a comparison for Dortmund's 80k gates compared to our 30K gates in terms of revenues?Nice editing of Turkis's whole quote to try and make your point have more emphasis too, good work.

Remember' date=' this crop mostly arrived BEFORE they were back in contention.... (Turkish- the Adrian Durham of the SWF)[/quote']

Dortmund are still a massive club. Not some plucky try hard like you are making out.

What are their ticket prices. And hot dog/drinks prices inside the ground? Can you give us a comparison for Dortmund's 80k gates compared to our 30K gates in terms of revenues?Nice editing of Turkis's whole quote to try and make your point have more emphasis too, good work.

I am sure I read somewhere that official merchandise for German clubs is actually really expensive (off set by ticket prices) and you see massive crowds decked out in colours too.

I doubt the whole german football experience is all dirt cheap. No doubt they make money other ways, Like shirts, etc like you mention

Croatia... 4th in the World rankings (above Netherlands, Portugal, England, Italy, Brazil)

Corluka - Man City, Spurs, Moscow.. quality Player

Vida - Bayern Laverkusen, Dynamo Kyiv... quality player

I would suggest Lovern is 3rd choice for Croatia behind these two. (as well as being younger than both)

This is bull****

Rankings eh? Always trust them and nevermind that the jocks beat them the other day.

Saying it is BS maybe but the guy had no agenda and was 442 Croatian correspondent/expert. He said he might be brilliant as well

Platini played for St Etienne, doubt if he's a fan of PSG. Anyway there is now an investigation into some of PSGs recent transfers.

Might even get kicked out of the CL.

his son is on the board and he championed the Qataris world cup bid. that is what I meant about his beloved PSG now

his son is on the board and he championed the Qataris world cup bid. that is what I meant about his beloved PSG now

Really ? I thought Laurent Platini was just a legal advisor to the company that owns PSG. He used to be a legal advisor to PSG a few years back but left them for the Lagardere group and then went to PSI (who own PSG). Didn't know he was on PSG board

if in fact they actually have one. Platini is on record recently as a critic of PSG's spending.

Happy with this signing, we obviously needed a center back (or two) so it's good we've got one who's probably at our level right now and should improve the side.

Next step is to add a midfielder, striker and probably a back up keeper/full back too.

Happy with this signing, we obviously needed a center back (or two) so it's good we've got one who's probably at our level right now and should improve the side.

Next step is to add a midfielder, striker and probably a back up keeper/full back too.

And at least one genuine wide player.

don't know about a full back, Lovren can play there on both sides.

Really ? I thought Laurent Platini was just a legal advisor to the company that owns PSG. He used to be a legal advisor to PSG a few years back but left them for the Lagardere group and then went to PSI (who own PSG). Didn't know he was on PSG board

if in fact they actually have one. Platini is on record recently as a critic of PSG's spending.

if not on the board. He works for the owners with regards to PSG football and isnt it a coincidence that Platini snr was pro Qatar in the world cup bidding.

think we'll start with Maya and Lovren at CB anyway. We'll have to see where Forren fits into the plan,can see Jos leaving though..

Yes, he has played his part but is now falling down the pecking order. A four of Lovren, Maya, Fonte and Forren should give us sufficient depth at centre back.

Yes, he has played his part but is now falling down the pecking order. A four of Lovren, Maya, Fonte and Forren should give us sufficient depth at centre back.
But at CB having a regular pairing is important in my view. We'll have to decide on 2 and fit the others in when needed.

if not on the board. He works for the owners with regards to PSG football and isnt it a coincidence that Platini snr was pro Qatar in the world cup bidding.

Platini junior is a director of a sports equipment manufacturer owned by the same company as PSG, Burruda Sport. In the main Platini junior is a legal advisor in France to all PSI activites and not PSG in particular.