Official - Dejan Lovren Signs

Saint Garrett

kinell, I was looking forward to the usual moaning about our season being ****ed because we hadn't signed players in June. **** load of money for a player Llyon fans seemed less than impressed by, if their coordinated online efforts to big him up to Barca are anything to go by. Just the sort of signing I like though. Exciting. Hope he's a nasty, pacey, beast of a man but with a touch of an angel.

Seen mixed comments' date=' some very positive, some not so good. Not going to judge until I've seen the lad play so until them, welcome Dejan. May you be [b']the new Killer[/b].

Was hoping he'd live up to the standard set (for signings from what was Yugoslavia)by Ivan Golac.

From Croatian football journo.......

He has become something of a laughing stock in Lyon. 4th choice CB for Croatia - and not that the first 3 are great...

I don't know what to tell you. Lovren has all the potential to be a really good CB, but he's very erratic and prone to stupid decisions.

Reacts bad under pressure, blanks out during the game, makes a lot of unnecessary fouls, misplaces passes for no reason...

Ask any Lyon fan and see what they'll tell you. L'Equipe named him 'worst player of the week' in the league 3 times this season. 3 times.

French based journo on twitter saying he is massively overpriced - 3 red card cards in 18 games last season too. Time will tell!

He obviously didnt have a great time towards the end there but wouldn't have been linked to so many top sides if he was poor. Has a great Coach to work with too.

He pretty much said he hated it there towards the end too.

Lots of negative press surrounding him, but it seems he wasn't at all settled at Lyon. May well be a huge rip off, but I look forward to him learning - maybe he will be better suited to English football, and if we can get him settled and happy hopefully he'll fulfil his potential.

He has become something of a laughing stock in Lyon. 4th choice CB for Croatia - and not that the first 3 are great...

I don't know what to tell you. Lovren has all the potential to be a really good CB, but he's very erratic and prone to stupid decisions.

Reacts bad under pressure, blanks out during the game, makes a lot of unnecessary fouls, misplaces passes for no reason...

Ask any Lyon fan and see what they'll tell you. L'Equipe named him 'worst player of the week' in the league 3 times this season. 3 times.

Lets just hope he does all this better than Jos then :rolleyes:

A Lyon fan I know who is french and lives in Lyon said to me... 'I like Dejan, he hasn’t been playing lately.., but I don’t see him as a bad player. (you are lucky to have him playing in your team now)'

She was sad to see him go.

A Lyon fan I know who is french and lives in Lyon said to me... 'I like Dejan, he hasn’t been playing lately.., but I don’t see him as a bad player. (you are lucky to have him playing in your team now)'

She was sad to see him go.

And that ruins any credibility that opinion might have.

Didnt take long for ther negataives to come out of their holes.

I have been monitoring the BBC gossip column and was amused there has been no mention about potential saints signing and out of the blue comes dejan. G;ad to see the club are doing every thing outwith the public glare of the media.

Didnt take long for ther negataives to come out of their holes.

I have been monitoring the BBC gossip column and was amused there has been no mention about potential saints signing and out of the blue comes dejan. G;ad to see the club are doing every thing outwith the public glare of the media.

I haven't seen a single negative post on this thread.

Yep. Some are starting to sit up and take notice of what is happening down here.

Damn. Are we turning into a 'force' in English footie?

Lets wait until we've started giving a few of these sides a bloody nose in their own back yards first. ;)

Fair play to the scousers on there, some pretty insightful and complimentary posts made.

Yes, but then some revert to type - "Great coup for them he is a good player and with all respect to Southampton he is probably a level above them" - and the typical arrogance comes out. There is a feeling amongst the top 7 clubs or so that no one has any right to challenge them for their position. I don't buy into this top 4 finish - yet - but why not challenge the likes of Liverpool and Everton for 6th and 7th? I am sure the likes of West Ham and Newcastle will be thinking along the same line.

Croatia... 4th in the World rankings (above Netherlands, Portugal, England, Italy, Brazil)

Corluka - Man City, Spurs, Moscow.. quality Player

Vida - Bayern Laverkusen, Dynamo Kyiv... quality player

I would suggest Lovern is 3rd choice for Croatia behind these two. (as well as being younger than both)

This is bull****

Watch French football on tv last season (mainly because of how good PSG had become) so saw a few games with him, thought he did quite well. He is doing alright in the national games, would not say he has dropped to 4th choice considering he played against Wales recently and scored a goal? Plus he missed a few due to being injured. The guy clearly has a lot of potential.

There is a lyon forum where he has had over 7000 replies in a thread about him http://forum.olweb.fr/showthread.php?145158-Officiel-Dejan-Lovren-signe-à-Southampton.

Pretty mixed responses, which is to be expected with any football player. Some will like them and some won't.

At the end of the day he is a lot better then the rest of our centre backs so it is an improvement. Is he worth £10m+? Personally right now I don't think so. But if MP can get him to reach his potential then it will be well worth it.

I am glad we got this guy....however, we coulda bought and paid less salary for both of the USA's two young CBs put together and at least one (if not both) are custom built for Southampton in the Premier league??

Young, two-footed, hungry with great attitude, application and technical ability.

I've never heard of him, but notwithstanding doubts expressed by some Lyon fans, a 23 year old with 17 caps already for one of the best national teams in the game must mean he can play a bit you'd think. Signing young internationals like Gaston and Dejan confirms that we still have the wherewithal to abandon ASDA and do our player shopping at Waitrose - given the price of season tickets I would expect nothing else.

However if we take talk of the Champions League seriously then we may end up rubbing shoulders with the likes of Man City and Chelsea at Fortnum & Masons one day ... which could become a very expensive business for both SFC fans and the Leibherrs alike.

Having watched a few snippets of him on You Tube, he seems to like to play the ball out of defence with a measured pass or a dribble into space before passing, not a hoof merchant.

Looks strong in the air and agile on the ground. Need to cut his Red Cards down if we are to qualify for Europe via The Fair Play League ;-)

Croatia... 4th in the World rankings (above Netherlands, Portugal, England, Italy, Brazil)

Corluka - Man City, Spurs, Moscow.. quality Player

Vida - Bayern Laverkusen, Dynamo Kyiv... quality player

I would suggest Lovern is 3rd choice for Croatia behind these two. (as well as being younger than both)

This is bull****

I hope he is better than Corluka. He's a very average player IMO.

I am glad we got this guy....however, we coulda bought and paid less salary for both of the USA's two young CBs put together and at least one (if not both) are custom built for Southampton in the Premier league??

Young, two-footed, hungry with great attitude, application and technical ability.

I assume we felt he was better than the US centre backs.

Could someone bring this to Alpines attention?

He'll only do his standard "well, its easy to say in hindsight" response, which he uses every time.

Conveniently fogetting the point that he was pathetically wrong in foresight, as he is over and over and over again.

He'll only do his standard "well, its easy to say in hindsight" response, which he uses every time.

Conveniently fogetting the point that he was pathetically wrong in foresight, as he is over and over and over again.

This

Or he'll write him off because he didn't have a very good time of it last year!