Official - Dejan Lovren Signs

Saint Garrett

And at least one genuine wide player.

Yeah that would be perfect but also probably the most expensive area to cover, there really aren't massive amounts of good wingers out there so i'd expect to pay around £10m+ which i think maybe beyond our means.

How long you stalked the Platini family windows?

He's a national hero round these parts, "Verts" country around here, if you don't know all about every St Etienne player since 1920

you're considered as a bit of a nonce. Aimé Jacquet comes from a village about 15 miles from here. You also have to hate Lyon nearly as much as you hate Pompey (I said nearly)

Yeah that would be perfect but also probably the most expensive area to cover, there really aren't massive amounts of good wingers out there so i'd expect to pay around £10m+ which i think maybe beyond our means.

What makes you think that? Saints have spent close to £50m on transfer fees since promotion to the Premier League, including 2 players for more than £10m.

What makes you think that? Saints have spent close to £50m on transfer fees since promotion to the Premier League, including 2 players for more than £10m.

wouldn't think a 10 million £ winger is beyond our means, next years revenue from tickets + TV will probably exceed 80 million.

It's clear that Lovren will come straight in but IMO Forren is going to have to work hard to displace Yoshida.

the same Yoshida that was behind the much maligned Jos in the pecking order for the final part of the season?

In between Shaw and Clyne, and in front of Borac.

:poundit:

:poundit: :poundit::poundit: :poundit:

---------------BORUC-------------

CLYNE----DEJAN----MAYA----SHAW

--------MORGAN----CORK----------

JAYROD-------GASTON-----LALLANA

---------------RICKIE--------------

:poundit: :poundit: :poundit:

the same Yoshida that was behind the much maligned Jos in the pecking order for the final part of the season?

wasn't Maya injured for a while ? Or did the Olympics and the constant games for Japan just catch up with him ? Must have played nigh on 50 games last season.

Edited by Window Cleaner

Probably will. He is a better player overall

hmmm, as you may have noticed I've been slightly underwelmed so far. I've never seen an international centre back pass the ball to the opposition as much as him, well non-english ones anyway. It's no good looking comfortable on the ball if you are just going to give it away...and he does, time after time after time. He's been decidedly average in the air as well. Not nearly nasty enough at times either. When he does get tight he becomes effective, but he's far too passive. I'm perhaps too harsh on him, but his weaknesses deserve to highlighted as much as Jos' are. I'm excited by the Lovren signing. Hopefully he's a step up in quality from the others.

hmmm, as you may have noticed I've been slightly underwelmed so far. I've never seen an international centre back pass the ball to the opposition as much as him, well non-english ones anyway. It's no good looking comfortable on the ball if you are just going to give it away...and he does, time after time after time. He's been decidedly average in the air as well. Not nearly nasty enough at times either. When he does get tight he becomes effective, but he's far too passive. I'm perhaps too harsh on him, but his weaknesses deserve to highlighted as much as Jos' are. I', excited to Lovren. Hopefully he's a step up in quality from the others.

I know you see it your job to defend jos. but maya has it in him to be better than jos.

wasn't Maya injured for a while ? Or did the Olympics and the constant games for Japan just catch up with him ? Must have played nigh on 50 games last season.

yep, got injured (the 38 games must have taken it out if him) then failed to regain his place. Whether that was because MP thought Jos was better or simply because he was playing well and didn't want to drop him, who knows. But if Maya was as good as some like to make out he'd have been straight back in the side. Personally I'm glad MP didn't bring him back. Jos is better in the air and dare I say it gave the ball away less than Maya. Is Lovren going to replace Fonte or Jos/Yoshida?

With Dejan alongside him, Maya won't need to be as nasty as people think he should be. His strengths lie more with his reading of the game as opposed to his physicality. How many brilliant interceptions and blocks have we seen Maya make this season? With Dejan there to be the more aggressive of the two, Maya can concentrate much more on his covering role in the defence.

FWIW I do still rate Jos, but with 5 CBs at the club now his age means that he should probably be the one to go. Great guy and very passionate but we have to progress.

yep, got injured (the 38 games must have taken it out if him) then failed to regain his place. Whether that was because MP thought Jos was better or simply because he was playing well and didn't want to drop him, who knows. But if Maya was as good as some like to make out he'd have been straight back in the side. Personally I'm glad MP didn't bring him back. Jos is better in the air and dare I say it gave the ball away less than Maya. Is Lovren going to replace Fonte or Jos/Yoshida?

thought Maya played up until the West Brom game and just missed the last 3 through some sort of minor injury. Could have been simply dropped though. Then again knowing that he had a full summer of games to come perhaps we just rested him a bit.

Anyway Brazil-Japan this evening, competitive football at last.

With Dejan alongside him, Maya won't need to be as nasty as people think he should be. His strengths lie more with his reading of the game as opposed to his physicality. How many brilliant interceptions and blocks have we seen Maya make this season? With Dejan there to be the more aggressive of the two, Maya can concentrate much more on his covering role in the defence.

FWIW I do still rate Jos, but with 5 CBs at the club now his age means that he should probably be the one to go. Great guy and very passionate but we have to progress.

At his very best he seems to have that sixth sense for reading the game that the very best defenders need. His relative pace and strength stood out when he first came in but when given the chance to be instinctive he thrives, it's why he worked best alongside Jos for me, put a better player alongside Maya as we hope Lovren is and he should utterly thrive.

I know you see it your job to defend jos. but maya has it in him to be better than jos.

I agree with you. Yoshida is much classier on the ball and that's needed in the top flight, it's just the basic defensive elements he needs to improve.

I can see Jos' faults. But I said all last season that he would do a job if called upon and I was bloody right. He did a job, a ****in good one at that. There were not nearly enough people on here eating humble pie IMO. Some of the **** written about him on here was embarassing. He helped us get promoted for Christs sake and then 5 minutes later `fans' wanted his head on a stick. He was fundamental to our promotion in my eyes having a brilliant season in the Championship. All of that promotion winning side should be seen as legends and not had some treated with such hostility as they have been.

I'd be more than happy to see Lovren partner Fonte.

won't find many better CMs than those that we already have,

Agreed. Cork & Morgan been immense, but won't get far by just having 2.

Wanyama / Nainggolan / Biglia were all linked for good reason.

we need a striker before any other position now, a real one.

Possibly. Depends on where MP see's Rodriguez fitting in, IMO.

Mainly because of the fact that we need probably another 4 players of quality at least, and a £10m+ winger would be on significant wages which would cut into the budget for the rest.

Would love to be proved wrong though, especially with someone like Ince, but i guess to me i'm ultimately worried that if we stretch beyond our means we could end up in the same position as the skates.

Mainly because of the fact that we need probably another 4 players of quality at least, and a £10m+ winger would be on significant wages which would cut into the budget for the rest.

There are a lot of indications that the budget will be significant this season, having spent close to £40m last season and already €12m on Lovren this summer. I doubt Lovren will be our biggest signing this summer and expect some other very large deals in the coming weeks.

Would love to be proved wrong though, especially with someone like Ince, but i guess to me i'm ultimately worried that if we stretch beyond our means we could end up in the same position as the skates.

We won't be going the way of Portsmouth.

- We have a large modern stadium which sells out - they didn't

- We own a modern training ground - they didn't

- We have one of the best academies in the UK - they didn't

- We have a young squad with high potential and relatively restrained wage structure - they didn't

- Saints are in the Premier League for the most lucrative TV deal of world domestic football

- Have a very rich owner without a "dodgy" background unlike Pompey over the last decade

- Haven't taken out huge loans from South African banks like Pompey did

Welcome aboard Dejan Lovren and I for one am looking forward to

seeing you play at home & away this coming season and for ever long

you are here at Saints!!!

Would this also be the end of Hooiveld/Forren/Fonte then as I'd play

Lovren alongside one of Fonte/Yoshida in defence tbh but we'l see what

MP does with the team!!!

I also wonder who else MP will bring in for next season too as well!!!

Bring It On!!! :D

COYR!!! :D

Welcome to Saints Dejan. Let's hope the concerns about his form last year come to nothing but I very much doubt we'd have spent £8m on a player without some being sure he had considerable talent.

I'd say Jos' days are probably numbered and I wouldn't be surprised if he has been told he can look for a new club. That would leave us with 4 decent options at CB I think. Top priority for me now has to be a striker as there are only 2 options on the books I am happy with.

Just saying, know it should be expected...

But Ive been listening to talksport on off all day, and they haven't mentioned Lovren at all! :rollseyes:

Just the usual top 5 ish clubs plus good old West Sam

Oh well... Haha

I'd say Jos' days are probably numbered and I wouldn't be surprised if he has been told he can look for a new club.

That might depend on how many other left-footed CBs we have. I have no idea which way Forren or Lovren kick.

Who cares?

I merely answered a question Hutch asked.

I know you need see the relevance of having a left and right footed centre half on the correct sides and use the Ferdinand/Vidic example, but it does have its benefits.

For example...

- Which fullbacks is a left sided centre back most likely to cover during a game? Left back

- Which fullback is a right sided centre back most likely to cover during a game? Right back

It is therefore beneficial if your left sided centre half is left footed, like most left backs are. And the same on the right. Of course there will be exceptions, including some at a high level and the lower number of left footed players makes a difference, but I think a lot of managers would like the centre backs to match up in this way.

Edited by Matthew Le God

I know you need see the relevance of having a left and right footed centre half on the correct sides and use the Ferdinand/Vidic example, but it does have its benefits.

For example...

- Which fullbacks is a left sided centre back most likely to cover during a game? Left back

- Which fullback is a right sided centre back most likely to cover during a game? Right back

It is therefore beneficial if your left sided centre half is left footed, like most left backs are. And the same on the right. Of course there will be exceptions, including some at a high level and the lower number of left footed players makes a difference, but I think a lot of managers would like the centre backs to match up in this way.

Of course the flip side is its advantageous to have a rights footed cente half covering a left back the attacker cuts in he'll cut into the right foot of the centre half which will be his stronger.

Vidic and Ferdinand seemed to have done okay.

For example...

I would have said that there is very little basis in the right/left sided partnership of CBs. I mean where do you stop ? A right and left footed CM partnership etc ?

You are much better just having a player comfortable on the ball, it really isnt hard.

I would have said the majority of coaches and managers are just looking for able players at the heart of their defence and a partnership of a ball playing CB and ball winning CB is much more favourable

I would have said that there is very little basis in the right/left sided partnership of CBs. I mean where do you stop ? A right and left footed CM partnership etc ?

You are much better just having a player comfortable on the ball, it really isnt hard.

I would have said the majority of coaches and managers are just looking for able players at the heart of their defence and a partnership of a ball playing CB and ball winning CB is much more favourable

Exactly Bessie. The left footed right footed obsession only seems to have started because Adkins liked it. Before that I never, ever saw it mentioned. As I've said many times vidic and Ferdinand don't seem to have been hampered by the handicap of both being right footed.