Is Lambert the only Saints legend since Le Tiss

ozzmeister

Pahars, Beattie, Lallana, Morgan are the stand out candidates for me....

Morgan and Lallana still quite young though.

Pahars injury prone, and Beattie left for someone else and fell away...

You can't have too many on there or you'd run out of space!

Thought someone on here was going to design a new banner anyway?

Of the current crop AL and Kelvin deserve consideration. IMO to be a legend a player needs to have at least 200 appearances under his belt which roughly equates to 5 seasons uninjured and has played a notable role in Saints achievements that is recognised an agreed by most fans, or is a stand out player who served for a shorter period but whose association with saints was significant e.g. Keegan. One player from my time supporting Saints and pre MLT who I believe is missing is Mr Dependable himself Nick Holmes.

Claus is a definite, I don't think I'd include Beatts simply because of the way it ended much as I loved his time here. Niemi would have been one had he stayed longer as he was a different class, Lallana has a few years before he acheives it but he's well on his way, honourable mentions to Pahars for his critical goals but he's more of a cult hero than an all time legend I think.

Super Kel with Lambert has probably done the most for this club in our time in the doldrums, a great ambassador and all round nice guy as well. I'd like to think Kelvin is up there.

Funnily enough I have remembers a similar thread I posted in 2009 on this topic - this was taken from FM where they note Legends and Icons, the one copied below is quite old. Has anyone got the latest:

Legends - Lauri Mac, Le tiss, Strachan

Icons - Keegan, Svensson, ****erill, H Holmes, Flowers, Bridge, D Jones, Shearer, Neime, Pahars, Case, Dodd, Benali, K Moore, M Dennis, M Mills, Rodd Wallace, M Wright, Nicholl, Marsden, Shilton, Lundekvam.

I love Kelvin - top guy and I hope he stays here forever like SRL, however surely a Saints Legend has to be class as well.

I just can't get my head around Kelvin Davies Saints Legend?

There are probably many people over the past 20 years that have, a) been at Saints for 10 years or more, b) conducted themselves like a true professional and c) been a pretty tidy player on their day. Do they all become Saints legends?

If he stays and continues to improve then I would have thought Lallana would be the next one.

I love Kelvin - top guy and I hope he stays here forever like SRL, however surely a Saints Legend has to be class as well.

There are probably many people over the past 20 years that have, a) been at Saints for 10 years or more, b) conducted themselves like a true professional and c) been a pretty tidy player on their day. Do they all become Saints legends?

If he stays and continues to improve then I would have thought Lallana would be the next one.

Difficult to argue against. But lets not forget Keegan was only here for 2 seasons.

We haven't had any legends since MLT imo. Sure RL was great for us for three seasons and instrumental in getting us promoted, our most standout player in that time - but lets face it he doesn't really compare to World Cup Winner Paine or Shilton - 125 caps for England and played 5 years for Saints in his prime or one club man MLT who did things no-one else could.

We haven't had any legends since MLT imo. Sure RL was great for us for three seasons and instrumental in getting us promoted, our most standout player in that time - but lets face it he doesn't really compare to World Cup Winner Paine or Shilton - 125 caps for England and played 5 years for Saints in his prime or one club man MLT who did things no-one else could.

This, Lallana could well be if he stays here his whole career though.

I'd have Lallana down as a legend, especially if he stays another three or four seasons. Obviously he has been fantastic to watch for 5 years, but signing that 5 year contract (admittedly probably for huge money, especially for the league we were in) despite us being in league 1 when he had offers from Prem sides (so I was told) is what club legends are made of. Sticking by the club, all be it with a great contract no doubt, was fantastic and fundamental in our rise back through the leagues. Him staying attracted others to the club and things snowballed. There hasn't been a player at Southampton I have enjoyed watching more over the last 30 years. Not even Le Tis. If he turns down Man United in the next two windows that would solidify his status as a Saints legend in my eyes.

Lambert can't be far behind, simply for his Roy or the Rovers style rise to England glory, whilst banging in goals at all levels, taking Saints through the leagues at the same time. His signing, performances and team results have been like a perfect storm. Talk is cheap in this game, but even a cynic like me is willing to lap up his comments about how much he loves playing for the club. He genuinely seems as though he does and not just because it means £30-40k enters his back pocket each week. If he ends his career here and it doesn't go sour over the next couple of seasons he will become a legend in my eyes, if he isn't already.

These last four or five seasons have been glorious times and will live long in the memory despite them being in the lower leagues. Both are far more deserving of the tag Legend than Keegan and Shilton that's for sure.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/w/west_ham_utd/8139903.stm

Davis walked off of Premier League West Ham's training ground to rejoin us in League One on -10.

From then, he captained us to a win at Wembley, and then to back to back promotions to get us back into the Premier League, winning the keeper's spot in the league's team of the year each of those years. For the level we were at, he was more class than we probably deserved.

I'm not sure we could have got a better keeper than him had he left, and certainly at the time we couldn't have known how much we were going to be backed by Markus. I'm not sure we'd be back in the Premier League yet had he not stayed.

Apparently, he was (and still is) also responsible for a huge amount of the good morale in the team off the field as we came up, helping to build the close knit team we see today.

To add to that, THAT game at Leeds, one of the best keeping performances I've seen.

He certainly qualifies as a legend in my book.

A legend is somebody who you learn about from your father and his father before him and that makes it a pretty unique club in my opinion. There also has to be a very strong association with the club. Would anybody else associate Keegan with us? My list would include;

Ted Bates, Ron Davies, Terry Paine, Laurie Mac, Mick Channon and Matt Le Tissier.

I am also going to add Bobby Stokes because of the significance of his goal in 1976.

I think that Rickie Lambert is close but will just fall short. I think if Adam Lallana if he stays with us and continues his form will end up as a legend.

KK wasn't with us long enough to be a legend, outside So'ton hardly anyone remembers he played for us, they think of Liverpool,Hamburg Newcastle. We could take him off the banner and add Bobby Stokes or our own ever loyal Nick Holmes as someone else suggested. And of the moderns, of course AL should be there, he's stayed with us all the way down and all the way up

Davis walked off of Premier League West Ham's training ground to rejoin us in League One on -10.

From then, he captained us to a win at Wembley, and then to back to back promotions to get us back into the Premier League, winning the keeper's spot in the league's team of the year each of those years. For the level we were at, he was more class than we probably deserved.

I'm not sure we could have got a better keeper than him had he left, and certainly at the time we couldn't have known how much we were going to be backed by Markus. I'm not sure we'd be back in the Premier League yet had he not stayed.

Apparently, he was (and still is) also responsible for a huge amount of the good morale in the team off the field as we came up, helping to build the close knit team we see today.

To add to that, THAT game at Leeds, one of the best keeping performances I've seen.

very well put sir, and a post that should be reused whenever Davis is abused on here by `fans' with short memories. Whether he will be seen as a Saints legend in ten of fifteen years I doubt. Just far too many fans who jumped on his back in the early days and weren't ever willing to swallow their pride and admit he was great for us after a ropey start.

The fact Davis gave up a Premiership wage for a league 1 shirt says everything about the man, unless of course we matched his wage in league 1, which might have been the case.

Edited by Chez

very well put sir, and a post that should be reused whenever Davis is abused on here by `fans' with short memories. Whether he will be seen as a Saints legend in ten of fifteen years I doubt. Just far too many fans who jumped on his back in the early days and weren't ever willing to swallow their pride and admit he was great for us after a ropey start.

The fact Davis gave up a Premiership wage for a league 1 shirt says everything about the man, unless of course we matched his wage in league 1, which might have been the case.

When is Davis abused on here? People have an inability to understand that when people say he isn't good enough for our level anymore (which is fair), they take nothing away from his contribution to the club over the years.

To be honest, I am sick and tired of these "instant" legends and "instant" icons. Being a celebrity is not the same as being a legend, or being an icon.

Hugh Grant is a celebrity; Laurence Olivier is a legend.

Saul Bellow was a famous American author; Ernest Hemingway is a legend.

Duncan Edwards was one of the most talented palyers of his generation, cut down before his prime; Stanley Matthews is a legend.

Matt Oakley?

Played a lot of games, in an 'unseen' role. Maybe the fact he was unseen leads a lot of fans to under-rate him?

Consistently scored a 7 and often an 8, one of our unsung heroes; a holding midfielder who was 10 years ahead of his time?

No chance whatsoever. Not even in top 50 for me. Morgan a better player IMO.

No chance whatsoever. Not even in top 50 for me. Morgan a better player IMO.

Just a left field selection from me. Obviously Morgan is a 'better' player but the OP asks about 'legends' which to me involves some degree of longevity/loyalty, and a consistent level of service and performance. 50 players more deserving than Oakley? Name them!

Bet you can't get to 10 .....!

I'll give you Lallana, Lambert, SuperKelvinDavis, who are the other 47?

Rupert Lowe!!!!!!

AGREED

without a doubt 100% correct in my book. Just go back and look at the match threads 2 seasons ago and see who was motm time after time.

Just a left field selection from me. Obviously Morgan is a 'better' player but the OP asks about 'legends' which to me involves some degree of longevity/loyalty, and a consistent level of service and performance. 50 players more deserving than Oakley? Name them!

Bet you can't get to 10 .....!

I'll give you Lallana, Lambert, SuperKelvinDavis, who are the other 47?

Niemi, pahars, m svennson, Claus, bridge, Beattie since le tiss. I thought you meant overall ever

I guess it depends on how you define legend?

For me it would be a player who in each period of our history rises up above all the rest and stands out, and that for fans of other clubs and pundits alike, the player that they think of when Saints are mentioned. For all the plaudits Kelvin Davis has received in this thread, Rickie Lambert is the stand out player who has become synonymous with our rise from League 1. He's scored consistently up until this season, and transformed himself from an also ran, journeyman striker into a top notch professional who scored on his England debut whilst playing for Saints. In my book that makes him a legend.

Adam will achieve that status in time as long as he stays with us, and indeed is one of a few players who is fast building a national reputation, but for me, in the last 5 years, it's Lambert that has cemented his status as Saints legend.

Edited by stthrobber