The Sun: Saints looking to sign Diego for 1.6m

Wiggles31

Can't find a link but its from the SSN app on the newspaper section.

What a deal that would be!! Not getting too excited as he did recently say he would stay at Wolfsburg.

We are desparately short of a playmaker.

Very high wages, and may have trouble getting a work permit, but yeah, that would be a bargain and would take him in a second.

may have trouble getting a work permit

Looks like he's got an Italian passport...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diego_Ribas_da_Cunha

Diego is of Italian ancestry with both of his paternal great grandparents emigrating from Italy to Brazil. His paternal great grandfather, Carlo Lazzari, came from Ferrara, Italy, and his paternal great grandmother, Maria Concetta Viola, came from Naples, Italy. As a result of his Italian ancestry, Diego received his Italian passport in 2004

He seems to have had a bit of a chequered career reading his background on Wiki.

The Diego that was once regarded as one of the best talents in the world? (Certainly on FM2004!)

I know his career has gone off the rails, and he's never lived up to the hype he once got, but he's still better than Freddy Adu in that department and for £1.6 mill it'd be a risk worth taking. On a short contract...

didn't ponch come out at christmas and specifically say we weren't interest?

Edit: It was november yo:

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/10846421.Diego_deal_a_non_starter/

It's the old double bluff reverse backhand bear. School boy stuff really. The best success I have had pulling is to pretend you are not interested until their value drops and then swoop in at the last second with a low bid and an invite to 'the project'.

If a player as good as Diego is available for very little money then the number of candidates for his signature will be high.

No WP problems, seems to have an Italian passport as well. We may be looking at 1.6 million to sign him but as he's a regular at Wolfsburg they'd probably just shrug that sort of amount off and keep him until the summer. He'd probably want an enormous signing on fee (circa 10 million) and 100K a week. Will be a great move should we pull it off but I somehow doubt it..

Can't find a link but its from the SSN app on the newspaper section.

What a deal that would be!! Not getting too excited as he did recently say he would stay at Wolfsburg.

We are desparately short of a playmaker.

Isn't Ramirez our play maker who is now starting to show a bit if what he can do?

Would this guy come in to replace and let Ramirez move on, or to improve depth and replace someone like gully in the second 11?

Getting this lad for 1.6 million could be a bigger bargain than Swansea City nabbing Michu for 2 million. Yes please.

but we won't get him for 1.6 million because we'll have to dob him a shedload of swans for his signature as well. The total cost of signing him won't be much less than 15 or 16 million because he'll want a 4 year contract at a fair old salary. Bloke is a good player, he's not going to sign for us for a couple of bob and a 6 month minimum wage contract.

Diego.png

Interesting profile of him on WhoScored.com.

Particularly impressed by his performance in the Bundesliga where Wolfsburg are currently 5th and by his average ratings in the positions on which we'll be interested to play him - attacking mid behind the striker(s) and on the wings. Pretty versatile by the way too...

Would be a good buy, but my guess is that it would be such a bargain because his contract is running out and his wage demands are too high.

Edited by BG_Saint
Image was not loading properly

Wolfsburg bringing in the replacement already from Chelsea...

What De Bruyne ? Can't really understand exactly why his value has gone up even though he's been playing less of late. Too

lightweight for the PL methinks, Germany must be the spiritual home of all lightweight footballers, see Holtby is probably on his way back there as well, never seen a player get pushed off of the ball so easily.

Put this on the other thread.

Obligatory youtube and he looks gucci

If we pay 1.6m and his rated value according to transfermarkt is 10.5m http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/diego/profil/spieler_4248.html then a 3yr contract on e.g 60k (all inc) would roughly translate to 9.3mil over the term of the contract so would only be 400k over his rated transfer price currently.

Oh and his twitter feed is here for those interested https://twitter.com/ribasdiego10 and he currently seems to be riding camels !!

Edited by Convict Colony
found some new ****

just seeing this and some other pics and wolfsburgs kit looks pretty nice.

Anyway if he is on our list then surely we can beat Santos and he has already said no to one of his old clubs so maybe fancies a challenge in the UK since its the only major league in europe he hasn't played in.

I want to believe.

What makes you think that?

Well my mate that sits next to me in the Itchen said that the big fella who looks after the players at Saints (you know the one, been there for years, also collects the balls sometimes), well he taking some latin looking guy up the stairs to watch the game (thst part is fact, the rest gets assumingly unpredictable). After seeing this thread, it seemed quite obvious that this was the guy he saw..... until I saw the Dubai picture, so maybe it was Ronaldo?

Diego.png

Interesting profile of him on WhoScored.com.

Particularly impressed by his performance in the Bundesliga where Wolfsburg are currently 5th and by his average ratings in the positions on which we'll be interested to play him - attacking mid behind the striker(s) and on the wings. Pretty versatile by the way too...

Would be a good buy, but my guess is that it would be such a bargain because his contract is running out and his wage demands are too high.

I admit ...it all looks good in his stats, but ........29 in February:scared: .....sounds like a lot of money would go in salary ...but how much of a future?

Spent his entire career as a 'next big thing' and never really lived up to it. Similar to Andres D'Alessandro, who was for a long time 'the next Maradona' and yet ended up turning out for the fishy lot down the road. Honestly think he wouldn't add a great deal. The Gaston-haters would have a field day.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

but we won't get him for 1.6 million because we'll have to dob him a shedload of swans for his signature as well. The total cost of signing him won't be much less than 15 or 16 million because he'll want a 4 year contract at a fair old salary. Bloke is a good player, he's not going to sign for us for a couple of bob and a 6 month minimum wage contract.

Are you a little bit thick? Do you think Michu didn't get a huge signing on fee or a very decent pay check to come to The Premier League?

Are you a little bit thick? Do you think Michu didn't get a huge signing on fee or a very decent pay check to come to The Premier League?

You need to tone down your comments, what on earth has Michu got to do with it, all I've done is point out that the

1.6 million stated is a fraction of the cost we'd eventually incur.

He is on a massive amount at Wolfsburg and I would imagine Santos can pull together a very lucrative deal as well with the use of sponsorship. If he is willing to join a club for the amount of money that Saints would offer I would imagine he would have the option of joining a more attractive club than Saints.

Got a feeling we'd be interested given he wouldn't command a transfer fee in the summer but he is a step too far for us at this stage.