Our substitutions

Glasgow_Saint

Dont seem to be great and dont seem to impact game....

Today was a good example - Sunderland brought on Gardner and Colback and they changed the game and tempo

While we took off Lallana who was our most attacking threat?

Today is not unique.......

Chelsea: took off Cork after 60 mins, midfield exposed went on to lose 3-0

Everton: took Cork off after 66 and midfield over run lost 2-1

Spurs: they made 2 changes (Chadli and Bentaleb) who changed tempo and game lost 3-2

Our subs seem to be reactive rather than proactive and dont seem to alter game in our favour?

Is it simply down to the quality on the bench?

Ramirez sub changed game last week. Week before vs Burnley his subs changed the game too??

This. Why don't you mention moments where our subs are positive? Plus, the Chelsea game was a game worth risking.

Are you paid to write utter s**t?

Making changes on the attacking balance of the team when being behind (as in the case of Chelsea and Everton), yes seems like a good thing to do.

Changes today for Sunderland changed it a bit cause Larsson/Cattermole were abysmal, and our midfield tired in the last 20-25 mins.

All down to lack of options tbh. Even more so now that Gaston is gone.

Absolutely.

Lallana looks jaded today, so Ramirez came on and looked really good. That sub worked well.

Lovren went off injured, replaced by Yoshida. That wasn't a tactical sub, that was forced upon us. Sadly we don't have a better third-choice CB than Yoshida, so what more did you want? Do you think Jos would have been better?

Other than that, we had no quality on the bench. Nobody to come on and change a game. All we could do was bring on fresh legs, but the injuries and stoppage time changed the game dramatically.

The problem is our thin squad. Only an attention seeking WUM would fail to realise that.

Puncheon? He could be giving us options, Billy Sharp even?

who are you?? you're not even a good troll. You're like one of them drunks with a bible in the park shouting random things to passers by. The only difference being is people on here stop and listen instead of walking by for some unknown reason. Yeah I know, I've just done the same. One knobhead point to you. Take a bow

who are you?? you're not even a good troll. You're like one of them drunks with a bible in the park shouting random things to passers by. The only difference being is people on here stop and listen instead of walking by for some unknown reason. Yeah I know, I've just done the same. One knobhead point to you. Take a bow

When is someone going to ban this clown. Pathetic

http://www.saintsweb.co.uk/announcement.php?f=5&a=1

* DO respect other forum members' opinions, even if they differ from your own

* DO NOT make sarcastic comments or imply that a thread is "boring" just because it doesn't interest you. If it doesn't interest you, please simply ignore the thread.

* Insulting or abusing another member - 2 points, expires after 6 months

Today was a good example - Sunderland brought on Gardner and Colback and they changed the game and tempo

Spurs: they made 2 changes (Chadli and Bentaleb) who changed tempo and game lost 3-2

Our subs seem to be reactive rather than proactive and dont seem to alter game in our favour?

:mcinnes:

What's the "threads started" count for the day so far then GS?

What's the secret for dreaming up so many wonderfully interesting things to debate day in, day out, hour after hour?

We didn't win, GS always is most visible on here when we don't get a good result. It's just expected. Him alpine and bullsh1tter Barry are all over it !

Couldn't agree more. mp makes very strange decisions.... He continually takes off our best midfielder and totally distorts our midfield handing the initiative to the other team... MP is a good coach but poor at tactical decisions during a match.....

Don't think he's the be all and end all.... His decisions have been suspect many times....

Yes his coaching is really good and we at fantastic football for long periods but then when you need to make critical decisions he is lacking .......

Edited by captainchris

I did think Lallana wasn't quite up to it in the second half. We need him desperatly to make things tick. Sad part was I thought Gaston looked great when he came on and maybe that's why his injury ranckles with me. Gaston could have won the game for us.

In AFL Football (Aussie Rules) you have 4 players on the bench, 3 reserves and 1 substitute.

The 3 reserve players can be rotated on and off the ground as many times as the coach wants (this will be changing soon and a cap of 120 rotations per game is coming in as a rule change)

The substitute player rule is the same as Soccer (Football) and usually occurs late in the 3rd quarter of the game.

The main reason for the substitute in AFL is to inject FRESH legs and despite only being 1 player can have a massive impact if used correctly.

What amazed me last night watching the game was we had only made 1 substitution and was only forced to substitute at the 87 minute mark.

I know substitutions are more tactical in soccer but surely given the high intensity way in which Southampton play, we need to bring on fresh legs sooner.

lol

That just about sums him/her up

Lallana was largely anonymous and was not making any impact, therefore it was on the cards he would get subbed.

The fact is the we were a striker light because of Dani's ban and there weren't too many options available.

We have a very good first team squad when fit, but overall our squad players are Championship level at best.

Had Gaston not suffered the injury and gone on to score the winner, would you still be complaining?

I think some of the armchair tacticians on this forum who aren't employed football clubs needs reality check

Could, would, might, should have. The anthem of our season

If Sunderlands marginal offside wasn't spotted we'd have lost 3-2

Puncheon? He could be giving us options, Billy Sharp even?

Yeah, it's nonsense this 'could' talk...

• 2 weeks later...