Back in from the Cold

ART

Jos is miles better than Martin.

End of the daywe owe getting the guy back to fitness but he will never be near our first team whilst we are a PL club.

Fair comment, get him off the payroll then, will be a mass clearout in the summer.

Very good lineup:

Southampton: Cody Cropper, Jack Stephens, Aaron Martin, Jordan Turnbull, Matt Targett, Lloyd Isgrove, Dominic Gape, Harrison Reed, Sam McQueen (Omar Rowe 61), Jake Sinclair (Corby Moore 81), Sam Gallagher. Unused substitutes: Chris Johns, Matt Young, Andy Robinson.

Hunter talks about Martin's comeback in another news article: http://www.saintsfc.co.uk/news/article/bright-beginning-buoys-hunter-1307239.aspx

Hunter drew encouragement from Martin’s successful return after injury, following the defender’s performance that helped Saints to a victory and clean sheet.

The coach feels that his presence upped the already-high level of healthy competition within the Development Squad and will only benefit those fighting for starts.

Hunter continued: “Aaron [Martin] needs a game and that put [Jack] Stephens at right-back and unfortunately dropped Matt Young to the bench but that’s all part and parcel of it. We travelled with two lads who didn’t make the bench so we’re virtually picking from a full-strength squad now. He (Martin) equipped himself well tonight after several months. He’s back now, so well done to the medical staff.

Martin was injured for quite a while, saw him in nandos with a moon boot on about 2 months ago, must have been a nasty one to keep him out

He had an op on his ankle then had problems with his other ankle when rehabbing. It was his injury that kept him out not Cortese.

Tadanari Lee also played with the U21s before his release. It does not mean anything. Would be pleased for Aaron if he did make an impact though. In the CCC he never let us down when called on to provide cover at the back. Whether he is up to the Premier League remains to be seen.

Disagree entirely even tho Jos is not really top Premiership standard

I have a soft spot for Aaron Martin as he is a local lad who came to us from Eastleigh.

His family are Saints fans and Aaron has always done his best when turning out for us.

However he would really struggle in the Premier and probably his future lies in League 1 or 2 where, hopefully, he could do well (possibly as a team captain as he has good leadership skills) and make a decent living

btw Aaron injured his leg in the pre season friendly at Eastleigh and is just coming back to fitness so good to see him feature last night

Slightly off topic, Lloyd Isgrove doesn't appear to have made the progress expected of him pre season but hopefully he will be able to move forward

I wouldn't write him off totally, as the thing to remember is he was late to the professional footballing table having started life at Eastleigh, he hasn't had the education that just about every other player for Saints has had, so that's a disadvantage straight away. Add into this a stop start of games that can't help, just look at Yoshida can't get in the side, when he comes in he looks rusty, give him a couple of games and he is more up to speed.

Martin is only 24 and when you see the tune up Lallana has had under Pochettino this season there is nothing to say that with a lowly start to his Football career the guy can't become a late bloomer.

But then seeing the amount of folks on here who are all going for their Snipers badge, if he makes the chance for himself even if he scored a Hatrick v Man City it would not be good enough.

It's hard to say with Martin to be honest, he didn't really get much of a chance to show himself at Championship level - so who knows, he may be ok there.

He's still young, and I imagine at the same age people were saying that Lambert is no where near premiership quality. Who knows what will happen.

I was at the game tonight. After Martin scored he ran over to celebrate with someone on the bench. I think it was Martin Hunter but I am not 100% sure.

I was stood near the dug out and Aaron went over to celebrate with the Physio. Martin Hunter stood with his hands in his pockets and a huge grin on his face and said "F**king get on with it" as Aaron milked the celebration. Thought both Martin and Turnbull looked very comfortable last night but then they were marking only one lanky Bolton lad who was rather poor.

I was stood near the dug out and Aaron went over to celebrate with the Physio. Martin Hunter stood with his hands in his pockets and a huge grin on his face and said "F**king get on with it" as Aaron milked the celebration. Thought both Martin and Turnbull looked very comfortable last night but then they were marking only one lanky Bolton lad who was rather poor.

I'd agree with that assessment. It was a very comfortable night bar having to weather the 15min storm after the break as Bolton clearly got a bollocking at half time. We should have been out of sight at the break though.

I was sat opposite the dugouts in the mini-stand amongst the scouts and local 'types'. I was heading towards the exit during added time and I was right in the corner when the big fight broke out :lol:

I'd agree with that assessment. It was a very comfortable night bar having to weather the 15min storm after the break as Bolton clearly got a bollocking at half time. We should have been out of sight at the break though.

I was sat opposite the dugouts in the mini-stand amongst the scouts and local 'types'. I was heading towards the exit during added time and I was right in the corner when the big fight broke out :lol:

What fight?

Martin hasn't played much and hasn't done well for a long time.

Hasn't played much, actually hasn't played at all until last night because he has been injured since last season. This was his comeback game. Agreed he is probably not good enough for the PL, ut then neither is Jos any more, but AM was perfectly well good enough at the Championship level, bearing in mind he was playing for a Top 2 team at the time, could easily fit in to an avearge Champ side, and with age on his side (24 is young for a CB, 2 months younger than Lovren) he could improve a deal yet, but perhaps fair to say not for us. Wish him well though; Good to see another Islander in pro football, whatever level.

I wouldn't write him off totally, as the thing to remember is he was late to the professional footballing table having started life at Eastleigh, he hasn't had the education that just about every other player for Saints has had, so that's a disadvantage straight away. Add into this a stop start of games that can't help, just look at Yoshida can't get in the side, when he comes in he looks rusty, give him a couple of games and he is more up to speed.

Martin is only 24 and when you see the tune up Lallana has had under Pochettino this season there is nothing to say that with a lowly start to his Football career the guy can't become a late bloomer.

But then seeing the amount of folks on here who are all going for their Snipers badge, if he makes the chance for himself even if he scored a Hatrick v Man City it would not be good enough.

John

Don't think posters are sniping at Aaron Martin, just trying to give an honest assessment and I for one would love to be proved wrong as he cost us nothing.

However as I recollect he went on loan to Palace last season and was shipped back after only playing a few games so may be that is a reasonable yardstick to consider

What fight?

In the last minute of added time Saints won a corner. They decided to try and run the clock down and took it short to Stephens. He ran the ball into the corner and was doing well shielding it before a Bolton player had enough and went right through the back of him - a foul born out of frustration but a foul nonetheless. Stephens got up and fronted up to the player and then other players got involved. A Bolton player was running quite fast to get involved and Moore didn't like that so just as the Bolton player got there he shoved him quite hard and nearly launched him into the hoardings :lol:

That blew it up some more but eventually it cooled down however the verbals kept going. Mostly handshakes all round at the final whistle but there were still a few confrontations going.

In the last minute of added time Saints won a corner. They decided to try and run the clock down and took it short to Stephens. He ran the ball into the corner and was doing well shielding it before a Bolton player had enough and went right through the back of him - a foul born out of frustration but a foul nonetheless. Stephens got up and fronted up to the player and then other players got involved. A Bolton player was running quite fast to get involved and Moore didn't like that so just as the Bolton player got there he shoved him quite hard and nearly launched him into the hoardings :lol:

That blew it up some more but eventually it cooled down however the verbals kept going. Mostly handshakes all round at the final whistle but there were still a few confrontations going.

Thanks. I was wondering if the "yoof" had travelled to Leyland, singing their Cortese anthem and inciting the natives. :rolleyes:

of course Aaron Martin's record is purely based in our Championship season (when others were injured, 22 starts + 7 sub apps. AND 2 goals).. beginning when he was only 20).

He's had a long injury period, but who knows he might have learned a lot technically in that time.......he doesn't seem an obvious selection, but at 23 he's still learning and Jos is almost 30 now.

I can recall Chris Baird going through a similar period at the start of his career and despite injuries he had to wait 4 years to get a regular place.....and proved to be pretty worthwhile.

of course Aaron Martin's record is purely based in our Championship season (when others were injured, 22 starts + 7 sub apps. AND 2 goals).. beginning when he was only 20).

He's had a long injury period, but who knows he might have learned a lot technically in that time.......he doesn't seem an obvious selection, but at 23 he's still learning and Jos is almost 30 now

David, is Sweden a year behind us here in England? Jos is 30, going on 31, Aaron is 24, think you need to update your reference material :-)

I think AM making it in the PL is stretching it a bit, but you never know as back up for Fonte if he gets back to his best, or rather that he has improved on his best, which with age and experience is not completely far-fetched.

Delighted to see Saints Under 21 Development Squad defeat Bolton Under 21's 2-0 tonight and a return for Aaron MARTIN who scored the second goal. Does this mean a change of policy since the depart of Cortese. If it does it's a very welcome one.

http://www.saintsfc.co.uk/news/article/bolton-u21s-0-2-saints-u21s-report-1307176.aspx

Back out in the cold again then.

Seems Aaron's absence had nothing to do with a Cortese policy after all.

Shame to see him go, but at least by leaving he should get some first team football in the lower leagues.