Gaston Ramirez...

Unbelievable Jeff

**** me Alpine is a joke.

When did £12m become a monstrous transfer fee?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

£8-£12m is now a standard transfer fee is seems. It's probably about the same as us spending £4m on Rory Delap all those years ago. Money in football has gone through the roof in recent years, so the transfer fees have as well. £12m now isn't a huge fee and people probably need to get used to that and stop judging players on it as it's totally irrelevant. We signed him for an average fee!

I see that in the Express he is now the "new Kaka" - surely something got lost in translation and they actually meant caca. http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/469465/AC-Milan-prepare-12-5m-bid-to-make-Southampton-s-Gaston-Ramirez-new-Kaka

Whether he is into us or not, he just hasn't delivered so not point trying to flog this particular horse (to get playing well, which I am 100% sure he will elsewhere). I dread it when he comes on, as he is so lightweight and unsuited for the PL. Someone earlier mentioned being made of glass and agree with that. Davis or Ramirez? Easy for me - the less skilful of the two.

Odd that the agent should complain about Ramirez not playing just after an opportunity opens up for Ramirez to play due Rodriguez's injury.

Not so odd really, with the team already pencilled in for 8th/9th and nothing more to play for, and the summer transfer window swiftly looming.

I see that in the Express he is now the "new Kaka" - surely something got lost in translation and they actually meant caca. http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/469465/AC-Milan-prepare-12-5m-bid-to-make-Southampton-s-Gaston-Ramirez-new-Kaka

Whether he is into us or not, he just hasn't delivered so not point trying to flog this particular horse (to get playing well, which I am 100% sure he will elsewhere). I dread it when he comes on, as he is so lightweight and unsuited for the PL. Someone earlier mentioned being made of glass and agree with that. Davis or Ramirez? Easy for me - the less skilful of the two.

I remember when he was first linked to us, he played in a very similar way to Kaka when he was in Italy - was actually labelled the Uruguayan Kaka by many sources. It's clear he has immense natural talent, but he's not really cut out for the hustle and bustle of this league from what I've seen of him.

The Italian league is OK...but very slow paced, you can take time and care on the ball. Gaston still wants to do that here, but you can't - that's why he's often harried/pushed off the ball, or rushed to give it away. It was clearly an ambitious signing and exciting signing for us, but he's not worked out as we would have hoped. I hope he can grasp Jay's position and prove himself, but if I'm honest I think it's time for us to get the cash we can and let him move on - find someone maybe a little less glamorous, but more suited to this league and more importantly - our hard working/pressing style of play.

I wouldn't say he's been a disastrous signing for us or anything at that sort of level, for disastrous...look at Osvaldo, now that's a signing that will cost us for a long time to come!

If he had come through the academy, yes you are right; he wouldnt have cost us 12m in transfer fee and an estimated 5m in wages. The point about his nationality is complete b*ll*cks, apart from the fact that his call-ups for Uruguay give him all the excuse he needs for swinging the lead for us because it is so far away (is it further than Japan?)

As a fan of a club that has always had to count its pennies in the past (and perhaps it still does...), yes, monstrous transfer fees and wages for f**k-all return bothers me intensely.[/quote)

Agreed Alpine.

Although " nationality has nothing to do with it" .....the reason we buy overseas players is that they ought to be adding something to our squad and helping to improve our game.

The point being ..if you pay £12 million for players ... he (they) ...ought to be good enough to be the first name on the team sheet. Ramirez rarely has, and Osvaldo never did settle.

Jay Rod was in very early on, although Adkins insisted on playing him on the left....and it took time for him to develop.

Now he's been given a slightly different role he clearly has come good. Certainly worth the £7 million - don't you think ?

Ramirez (although showing occasional signs of brilliance) never seemed to settle, and perhaps ought to do everyone a favour and move back to Italy (if he so wishes).

Think the attitude towards him is disgusting. Wouldn't happen if he was English and had come through the academy. A lot of people seemingly can't handle the big transfer fees and wages and just start raging without any facts. Although certain posters do that in every aspect of life.

He wouldn't get the abuse if he was the technically limited headless chicken type player either, which sums up the problem with the international game. A side supported by endless moronic fans who prefer the David Battys to the creative players. Thank fck forums like this weren't around when Le Tissier was playing. Would have been truly gutted to see our resident dicks belittle his efforts every other week.

Still, maybe Ramirez will make his mark at a smaller club like Inter or AC Milan.

Yes it would, he is ****e and a waste of money, you only say he has flair (and an eye for a hairdo) as he is foreign, say it as it is, he has been a two year let down and a waste of money.

Think the attitude towards him is disgusting. Wouldn't happen if he was English and had come through the academy. A lot of people seemingly can't handle the big transfer fees and wages and just start raging without any facts. Although certain posters do that in every aspect of life.

He wouldn't get the abuse if he was the technically limited headless chicken type player either, which sums up the problem with the international game. A side supported by endless moronic fans who prefer the David Battys to the creative players. Thank fck forums like this weren't around when Le Tissier was playing. Would have been truly gutted to see our resident dicks belittle his efforts every other week.

Still, maybe Ramirez will make his mark at a smaller club like Inter or AC Milan.

Guly is loved by all? He is ****e as well, so was Mayuka, Forren, spin that.

Is it a possibility now?

I thought that was a dead certain thing just an hour or so ago in your posts...??

All this pedantry and smugness from the man who brought you this :

Yes, that was my question and before you snap my head off maybe you can read my thoughts.... :)

Is this something I want, no.

Is this something that will happen, probably not.

Is this something that could benefit the team, maybe.

Let me first admit that I dont know the answer to my own question and what my opinion is but there are scenarios that could happen to make it a viable question though I think.

With JWP emerging now in CM position, that might put Cork down to the 4th option as CM and he is too good to be that imo. When we look at the team and depth in positions we have as CM options Wanyama, Schneiderlin, JWP, Cork, Davis and maybe even Guly as a final desperate option. JWP and Davis can play as one of the attacking four but we have a lot of options there too with Lambert, Osvaldo, Ramirez, Lallana, Rodriguez, Mayuka, Guly, Isgrove and if another one is coming in like Piatti we have really good cover for the front 4.

If we sell Cork then we would probably have Davis as the fourth option as CM and that is not bad imo. Obviously if you only consider the footballing quality you would prefer Cork but a squad isn´t always managed like that, at least not where we are at the moment.

Let´s say we have an offer for £7-8m for Cork which isn´t beyond possible and we could reinvest that money in a CM like Koyate or Alderweireld, would that make sense?

If I remember correct Corks contract is up 2015 (if it´s 2016 my thoughts would be a little different though). If he has a season now when he doesn´t get many games in the starting XI and mostly comes off the bench I dont think he will sign a new contract and next summer with one year left on the contract and a season behind him with not that much game time his resale value would drop with 50% imo.

Obviously he´s a great choice to have coming off the bench if we are leading games, but imo he is so good that he deserves to be a starting lineup player in the PL and I´m not sure we can offer him that this season....

Well that´s it, let the headhunt on me begin ;)

Yes it would, he is ****e and a waste of money, you only say he has flair (and an eye for a hairdo) as he is foreign, say it as it is, he has been a two year let down and a waste of money.

If you believe Gaston is s**te, you truly know nothing about football.

Guly is loved by all? He is ****e as well, so was Mayuka, Forren, spin that.

There is a slight difference of course, in that Guly made a significant contribution to our pretty amazing championship promotion season, and is a handy squad player in the PL.

But because he is Brazilian , and falls below Pele levels of brilliance (or for some other unfathomable reason), he gets way more stick from a few of our dafter supporters than he deserves.

Not difficult to get this...

We had same debate with alpine on Lallana, JayRod and Morgan!

So probably good sign.

There are loads of players who cost more, were older and made less impact.

The criticism by some (alpine) is clearly racist.

Cork out of side...poor love he maybe needs to leave.

Ramirez... Carlos Lazy kick about .

Just racist.

Money goes over his head. Player of his age we can get our money back.

Bring kept out of side by Lallana....how much is he worth? More than £12m!

Sure he moans about squad depth....but now moans that we can't have expensive young players not in starting 11! Lol.

So strong squad is 11 valuable players and 14 good but definitely not worth over £10m!!!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Johnny boy you forget he was out for a couple of months with a bad ankle injury

May be it would be useful for the mods to put up stickies for all those players certain members what to gave a constant moan about .

Get behind the players make them feel appreciated

That is a very lame pink and fluffy defence.

Don't get me wrong I would be delighted if he came good, however maybe it comes from my line of work in selling, which is also a results based environment if I or anyone else isn't delivering the goods after 2 years you can pretty much expect to be heading out the door without the door banging on your backside on the way out.

Not difficult to get this...

We had same debate with alpine on Lallana, JayRod and Morgan!

So probably good sign.

There are loads of players who cost more, were older and made less impact.

The criticism by some (alpine) is clearly racist.

Cork out of side...poor love he maybe needs to leave.

Ramirez... Carlos Lazy kick about .

Just racist.

Money goes over his head. Player of his age we can get our money back.

Bring kept out of side by Lallana....how much is he worth? More than £12m!

Sure he moans about squad depth....but now moans that we can't have expensive young players not in starting 11! Lol.

So strong squad is 11 valuable players and 14 good but definitely not worth over £10m!!!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

You are without peer on this site when it comes to spin and making things up.

The discussion about Lallana, Morgan and J-Rod were completely different, and you know it.

I dont think the Gash wants to be here and therefore simply cannot be bothered to knuckle down, work , address the issues with his play, and put himself into first XI contention.

My criticisms of Lallana and Schneiderlin back in the pre-relegation to L1 Championship days was that their play was all fart and no sh*t. Which it was. Both have matured into exceptional players, so I have admitted being wrong about them and perhaps it was to do with the crap surrounding them.

I was criticising Adkins, not J-Rod. I asked why the hell we bought him because of how he was being used.

I couldnt give a f**k if you think I was being racist or not, to be honest. You opinion has little value for me, so distorted as it is. I think our acquisitions from Serie A have been an utter disaster. End of.

His reading of the game is on another level to any other player in a saints shirt, although lightweight he's also the most skilful, and will be a great lose, shame MP can't find a position for him

His reading of the game is on another level to any other player in a saints shirt, although lightweight he's also the most skilful, and will be a great lose, shame MP can't find a position for him

I agree (although Lallana's reading has moved up and is one of the problems for Ramirez making a starting place harder).

I feel that we struggle against the defensive / park the bus sides, like West Ham. Ramirez has shown that he can switch play, suddenly accelerate to stretch the midfield, and split a defence. He also has the knack of running towards the penalty box drawing fouls within Lambert range.

Just as it was clear to most people who actually saw the younger Lallana and Schneiderlin play that they were good players..

And just as it was clear to anyone who had seen JayRod play for Burnley that he would be a good signing for us not to be written off before played

I think many who have seen Ramirez recognise what he can add and enjoy his play.

He also isn't lazy...he is continually moving into space, or to assist player in possession, calling for the ball.

However he isn't a defensive work horse / good tackler.

I do wonder if as team we would be effective with Wanyama instead of Cork (personally think better player but certainly more solid) then allowing Ramirez more freedom instead of Davis?

Noticed when he made a recent goal players ran to him to celebrate...he seemed bit isolated before (saintsweb overreaction to body language!) Maybe more integrated now?

There are loads of players who were signed for more money and not as young and took long time to regular perform.

Who knows, was performing well and popular before injury. (Seems to have cine back quickly for player not wanting to play ;). )

did lovren deck him for copying his haircut?

I heard Osvaldo did it because he brought braids to the training ground. As an interesting side note Osvaldo was actually forced out of the club for having a ponytail - a decision I fully support.

Harry Reed is next....

Alpine it's people like u on here that stop people like me posting. all I seem to hear from you is negativity . How rubbish this player is, how expensive gaston is, how you think we're going to get relegated next year. How poor poch is etc etc etc..... It gets f****** dull mate. Pull yourself together !!! Were having the best season in years. !!!

I dont think the Gash wants to be here and therefore simply cannot be bothered to knuckle down, work , address the issues with his play, and put himself into first XI contention.

Bearing in mind you live in another country and probably don't actually watch Saints or Gaston play, yet alone have any sort of insight into Gaston's subconscious or training ground conduct, you saying the above is tantamount to me suggesting that you enjoy wearing women's underwear whilst feverishly masturbating to a picture of your Grandmother.

**** me Alpine is a joke.

When did £12m become a monstrous transfer fee?

For a club our size spending such money on an unkwnown was a huge and naive gamble, the word is gamble and its failed beyond all doubt, he could prosper at another team but not here not now.

he was head and shoulders above any other Saints player today. Anyone who could not see that is a fool - his touch was fantastic and he is deceptive.....it looks like he is not running yet covers so much ground so quickly. For some they will always say he's lazy and doesn't run but that is wrong - and he was the one player today who was not one dimensional

he was head and shoulders above any other Saints player today. Anyone who could not see that is a fool - his touch was fantastic and he is deceptive.....it looks like he is not running yet covers so much ground so quickly. For some they will always say he's lazy and doesn't run but that is wrong - and he was the one player today who was not one dimensional

This basically, operated much better between the line then both Lambert and Lallana. Quick and incisive.

Cant disagree with his glass legs though, he needs games and he is always injured, I suppose today couldve been a reoccurance of his last injury.

For a club our size spending such money on an unkwnown was a huge and naive gamble, the word is gamble and its failed beyond all doubt, he could prosper at another team but not here not now.

An unknown for you perhaps Bazza, but for anyone with any sort of knowledge or simple lack of ignorance with regard to foreign football, not an unknown.

He performed well for Uruguay at the Olympics, makes the team regularly and had a good season in one of Serie A's weaker sides.

But then again, to expect you to not be ignorant is probably an ask too far. Never mind.

He had a good first half today. He needs a run in the side and a goal for confidence. Keep The Faith!

I have supported him for two seasons, but I've never seen a player so desperate to leave the pitch. I would not bother with him for the remaining games. Hopefully his agent has sorted him a move already.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Best player on the pitch in the first half. If we had someone with pace making runs off the centre backs and in the channels he'd pick them out with ease. It is a pity he seems to be made of biscuits and just crumbles after an hour on the pitch.

I have supported him for two seasons, but I've never seen a player so desperate to leave the pitch. I would not bother with him for the remaining games. Hopefully his agent has sorted him a move already.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So you think he should have stayed on and hobbled around instead?