WHU 3 Saints 1 Match Reaction

Glasgow_Saint

What a pit this place is becoming. I thought we were pretty good but just didn't finish the chances we had. We have taken six points from three away games which is a decent return.

So we lost to a Neanderthal football team. So what. The linesman missing offside was a game changer. I think they wouldn't have scored the second if they hadn't been gifted the first.

They had one game, win the ball and hit it up front. They won, but I can tell you this, If my team played this way I would give up going. They had more than a bit of luck even the second goal hit Yoshida and fell right for Cole.

We played as a team against a massed defence and created good chances. Boruc had no chance with the second and third goals. Apart from the first didn't have a save to make.

The weaknesses for me. Davis, plenty of buzz and link but no cutting edge, his game is mediocrity that flatters to deceive. Now is the time to bring in Ramirez. Lambert is struggling because only Rodriguez and Lallana are attackers, Schneiderlin, Cork, Davis are too content in midfield so when Wanyama is ready go back to the early season line up with Schneiderlin pushing further forward and Cork and Davis dropping out. Lovren to come back in and maybe Clyne.

I think that might reduce the backwards and sideways a little but enhance the penetration and get at the defence a lot quicker without changing the way we play. Lovren and Wanyama would make us stronger in the air.

I cannot disagree with any of this.

West Ham did what Stoke did. They put their big striker 10 yards shorter than normal on the pitch to have him using his size advantage against our relatively small midfield.

That´s where Wanyama comes into the picture to prevent that...

Exactly - Cork had to deal with it and was exposed first half - not sure why a CB didn't go with Cole. Not as if they were really getting runners beyond him to catch the CB if one had been more aggressive and pushed up. At any rate, Cork could have dropped deeper to compensate. Anyway we dealt with it much better in the second half.

Just a shame it was a crazy 5 mins, including an offside goal because they did very little.

Edited by shurlock

Troll ;)

Careful there's been some bloodletting and purging on the mongboard tonight.

;)

In all seriousness, West Ham did look like a team that had just come back from a wee break though (apart from the first 10 minutes where it looked like they were still on the plane home)

;)

In all seriousness, West Ham did look like a team that had just come back from a wee break though (apart from the first 10 minutes where it looked like they were still on the plane home)

They certainly looked fresh with the limited players and quality they have at their disposal, though by the same token we could have been suffering the proverbial cup hangover ;)

Watching the replay of their first goal it´s unbelievable that the lino doesn´t raise his flag.

He´s a yard to far forward so from that angle the player should even look more offside than he is...

The lino had a shocker - was right in front of us. Missed several offsides, wrongly missed that their ball went out of play on one occasion while flagged when Jrod was clearly in play. Gave them a free kick after an alleged shirt pull by Lambert but gave nothing when Lallana was barged over in the same spot mins later.

The inconsistencies and errors piled up.

I do dislike West Ham for three reasons, all related to their fans apparent sense of entitlement. It started with their sense of outrage at Sheffield Utd over the Tevez incident when to the impartial they looked guilty as. Followed up with their David Blaine like misdirection over Billy Sharp when we played them in the Championship (there's a photo of a hand around his throat FFS). And finally Kevin Nolan for bumming goalkeepers - it may be within the law but I think it's blatant obstruction.

That said, they are the worst kind of team for us to play against as we don't deal we'll with the ball over the top, particularly when Cork plays. Though I don't like Nolan, I guess he's a Savage like player that everyone else thinks is a ****, until he plays for you. Undoubtedly effective in Big Sam's system (I forgot BFS as reason number 4!). An in-form Wanyama chokes off those direct opportunities better than Cork in my opinion, at the cost of Corks slightly more creative side.

Given Big Vic and Lovren are both out we're playing pretty much last year's team and getting similar patchy results. I just wish it wasn't against West Ham. Disappointingly it looks like there will be another chance next year.

Also what is this about Davis being the weak link in our team?? Have we forgotten the whole season until Sunderland, including the last month??? The passing, the assists, the creation of chances, the neat touches and vision? That we haven't scored more doesnt mean he hasn't been putting the passes in, we just seem to be under death threats regarding shooting from before 6 yards! To start he provided the assist for our goal!

I see that our delusional brigade have fallen into the Ramirez charm trap again, only to then slate Gaston when he tries to get past a couple of players and loses the ball. Talk about the usual suspects, a few out-of-touch tw*ts in the unnoticed mainstream here too.

A lot of people slate the club and players for ambition, when they clearly have no idea what the word really means in the first place.

Momentum gone after last week. Season will peter out to 10th/11th as a few sides will string a run together from the chasing pack. Disappointing end to a season of opportunity. But grateful for the progress made under Cortese. Real shame we haven't a cup run to keep the fans, players and club engaged. Mopo has a lot of thinking to do about his approach to the FA Cup.

Gaston doesn't play properganda football. We have enough of those players and gaston is working harder. Nothing to say we won't have same possession.
Who knows what will happen in the future, but I'm pretty certain one of our targets will be someone that in some way can fill both roles. Its a hard call, but that is one of the things we really need.

People talking about wanyama, cork & schneiderlin, and gaston & Davis, point is they all have abilities and positives, but also negatives. I think it's just about choosing the right people for the right game, and mopo got it wrong today (though can understand gaston being sub after his injury). Cork is better for possession, but victor is for physicality. If you're playing against long ball merchants then losing the ball occasionally in midfield is less of an issue than being able to defend the high ball, so play victor.

Similarly, Davis is better at pressing and ball retention, gaston will create more but will lose the ball more while trying to create. Against a team that use the ball well rather than just hoofing you'd chose Davis, but against a defensive side with no creativity, losing the ball is less of a concern so play gaston.

As for lambert ... A legend, a talisman, but on his way out, sadly. He is still class (his pass against Fulham just 3 weeks ago!) but his legs appear to be gone. He either needs a special (Lesley king, Paul McGrath) training regime, or replacing ASAP.

Disappointing a win for negative football but if we don't put our chances away we can't expect anything else. Our attacking three are all guilty of spurning to many, of the many chances we make. TBH though I find myself nothing more than mildly disappointed because the season feels pretty much over anyway now.

Only just seen MOTD. Thoughts are that we needed a fit VW to give extra aerial protection, their first was offside and totally changed the momentum, Maya make a pig's ear of the second although maybe it came at him awkwardly (but can't see Lovren not clearing that).

Element of luck with their third - ricochet dropped just right for Noble.

But totally agree we simply didn't take chances and could still have won. Unlucky day at the office. Time for an Adkins blue line and move on.

Need Lovren next week.

Need Lovren next week.

Some might say that we needed his arial strength yesterday. Jos would have been a better option than Yoshida IMO and this was a poor selection by MP. No modification of the side to combat the opposition by the manager.

Some might say that we needed his arial strength yesterday. Jos would have been a better option than Yoshida IMO and this was a poor selection by MP. No modification of the side to combat the opposition by the manager.

Radio Solent said Jos had and eye problem or something so couldn't be picked, I guess Lovern is not match fit so barring some wonderful academy product not sure what other options MP had.

Looking down at the threads started on this forum makes me think it's time to leave all you crying bastards who obviously have forgotten where we were a few seasons ago to fight it out between yourselves good luck

Yes mate, We are 8th in the premier with a young and improving team and manager but will not win every week

shame people don`t understand football enough to realise that..

Roll on the next match

Disappointing ....of course. The first Wham goal was a crime....(and despite what MP said)...it must have upset the players mindset after we dominated the first 20 mins. and conceded to a clear off-side goal.

25 shots ....only 5 on target. Worse than poor when you look at those stats. but without going back throught he commentary texts, I'd say that a lot of those weren't from our " strikers " and when defenders and midfielders can't even get a shot on target we have to start asking bigger questions, considering we dominated a poor Wham side who just got lucky on the day.

Despite is excellent possession stats. can't help thinking that Schneiderlin isn't what he used to be .....if we have such good prospects lining up in the Academy perhaps it's time to give them a longer run, and wait for Arsenal to come back with a realistic bid .....I still like Cork in the line-up and although Wanyama can bully his way in possession, he gets caught too often and his final passes are often very poor.

Rickie isn't what he was last season but until we find a genuine replacement then we must continue with him. It'll be unfair to judge Sam.G on the basis of one game and a handful of sub.appearances.

Ramirez did brighten things up a bit, but I'd like to see him playing a full 90 mins....for a few more games, if we are to believe that he has a future here.

Despite a below par performance yesterday, Lallana still looks the most consistant player on the pitch and always puts in his shift ...and a bit more.

Bring back Lovren and we still have a strong side on paper, but it's obvious we lack that early-season consistancy. Some thoughtful purchases / and even sales in the summer should be seriously considered.

Edited by david in sweden

Only just seen MOTD. Thoughts are that we needed a fit VW to give extra aerial protection, their first was offside and totally changed the momentum, Maya make a pig's ear of the second although maybe it came at him awkwardly (but can't see Lovren not clearing that).

Element of luck with their third - ricochet dropped just right for Noble.

But totally agree we simply didn't take chances and could still have won. Unlucky day at the office. Time for an Adkins blue line and move on.

Need Lovren next week.

I think you are right. Also, Wham are on a good little run and their tails are up. Pity we have got Liverpool next as I think we need to get a win in to start us off on another little run.

I wonder which Liverpool will turn up, to me they are **** hot team and after a little wobble are due to dish it out to someone. I hope its not us but I am sure they will want revenge for their defeat at Anfield.

http://kumb.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=151872&start=660

They really do not like us on there!

Keep on quoting all of our posts on this thread and really having a go at us.

They picked up on my quote from another thread - apparently only having one song that you sing once every 45 minutes means you have "tradition" and "history". Something that we clearly don't then...bunch of f*cking mongtards.

Watching the replay of their first goal it´s unbelievable that the lino doesn´t raise his flag.

He´s a yard to far forward so from that angle the player should even look more offside than he is...

I DON'T KNOW WHO failed to raise his flag yesterday but I hope people realise IT IS NOT RANDOM and that a least one linesman goes with the same Referee each week and sometimes both linesmen and the Ref are in a "small group". I.e. When we played Norwich last year when Clattenburg gave that joke penalty for the "belly flop" by holt that the linesmen were S BECK & bryan. Against Arsenal for the shirt pull penalty it was S BECK and HOLMES; Everton when he failed to give that clear pen in the 85th min it was S BECK and Child. Yesterday for the offside and handball decisions it was S BECK & HOLMES again (same as arsenal). The other Refs have similar "groups" of linesmen in their games. IMO It's one reason why Nicola complaint against Clattenburg was always going to fail because "HIS GROUP" were always going to support him.

**********MLG ALERT**********

I see that the West Ham fans are trying to suggest that we have no grounds to criticise their hoofball because we play, on average, the joint highest number of long balls per game (70) in the division, while West Ham play 67 making them a whopping one place below us on that stat. We also play 447 short passes a game on average compared to West Ham's 274, and average 58% possession while they manage 42% a game - but obviously those stats aren't relevant.

The important thing to remember is that we're not collecting the ball outside our area and hoofing it in the general direction of the striker like West Ham, Sunderland and Villa generally do. The majority of our long balls are down the channel from one of our full backs, or from a deep midfielder/defender taking the ball over the halfway line and playing a diagonal into the area. Fonte tends to do that quite a lot, especially if we're pushing for a goal late on. We're not afraid to play a long ball, but it generally won't come from deep inside our half unlike West Ham's.

*Waits for somebody from KUMB to pick up on this post and call me "typical arrogant Saints fan"...*

I see that the West Ham fans are trying to suggest that we have no grounds to criticise their hoofball because we play, on average, the joint highest number of long balls per game (70) in the division, while West Ham play 67 making them a whopping one place below us on that stat. We also play 447 short passes a game on average compared to West Ham's 274, and average 58% possession while they manage 42% a game - but obviously those stats aren't relevant.

The important thing to remember is that we're not collecting the ball outside our area and hoofing it in the general direction of the striker like West Ham, Sunderland and Villa generally do. The majority of our long balls are down the channel from one of our full backs, or from a deep midfielder/defender taking the ball over the halfway line and playing a diagonal into the area. Fonte tends to do that quite a lot, especially if we're pushing for a goal late on. We're not afraid to play a long ball, but it generally won't come from deep inside our half unlike West Ham's.

*Waits for somebody from KUMB to pick up on this post and call me "typical arrogant Saints fan"...*

That's far too intellectual analysis for your average West Ham fan to comprehend I'm afraid :)

Edited by trousers

Who cares if they play long ball football? It's for the West Ham fans to criticise, they are the ones paying 42 quid to watch it every week.

It's a very basic way that Sam has always had his teams play, and it normally results in his teams finishing midtable. If that's enough for the West Ham supporters then i don't see why others get so precious about it.

West Ham had a warm weather training break in Dubai last week then (Match of the Day commentator). One of the advantages of being knocked out of the FA Cup in the earlier rounds I guess...

Haha, if you could actually see what they were up to on their warm weather training break, I am not sure how beneficial you would consider it. I live out here and went on the **** with them one of the nights as I know one of them. Never seen a group of lads put it away like them, although most of us couldn't stand up by the end. I hate West Ham as a footballing team, but a top bunch of lads it has to be said (other than Carroll). Gave them lots of banter about them playing long ball and they took it well and gave plenty back.

Heard some really interesting stories from them, not sure Lambert really wanted to go there in Jan, him and Nolan are good mates and Nolan was trying to convince him from what I could work out.

Lets hope they don't keep this form up, I bet Downing 3k that saints would finish above them!

Who cares if they play long ball football? It's for the West Ham fans to criticise, they are the ones paying 42 quid to watch it every week.

It's a very basic way that Sam has always had his teams play, and it normally results in his teams finishing midtable. If that's enough for the West Ham supporters then i don't see why others get so precious about it.

Its effective and what the board want.Quite frankly you have to do what is necessary and that's what matters. I used to think the criticism of Branfoot was a bit harsh for this very reason.

Mate- going to be a tough sell to a fanbase made up of Joey Essexes, those on day release in the East Stand and senile old f**ts living in the past.

I thought this was a Saints forum for discussing all things Saints. Instead I read about another teams forum and how they are talking complete sense (in the main) and making some on here look more than a little silly. Keep it up guys. You won't get the 3pts back. They are long gone. Well done West Ham.

I thought this was a Saints forum for discussing all things Saints. Instead I read about another teams forum and how they are talking complete sense (in the main) and making some on here look more than a little silly. Keep it up guys. You won't get the 3pts back. They are long gone. Well done West Ham.

This is a match thread, involving Wham. You're the one off topic sunshine.

I notice our glorious cup winning starting 11 lost yesterday.

our away support fantastic yet again.

i hope we can tie Mp down and we can carry on upwards! the club feels at present that it is drifting without an engine,NC's drive looks to be missing

Looking down at the threads started on this forum makes me think it's time to leave all you crying bastards who obviously have forgotten where we were a few seasons ago to fight it out between yourselves good luck

Sadly, the two tier system and somewhat lax moderation on this forum has led to this place being top heavy with No Life misfits, with very little grasp on any kind of perspective....Most normal level headed peeps have since moved on, or have just given up.......But hey, the misfits all pay their fivers, right?

Sadly, the two tier system and somewhat lax moderation on this forum has led to this place being top heavy with No Life misfits, with very little grasp on any kind of perspective....Most normal level headed peeps have since moved on, or have just given up.......But hey, the misfits all pay their fivers, right?

Where have they gone? I'm interested in moving on too!

I'm bored, so thought I would have a glance at KUMB to see whether i've managed to single-handedly inspire an anti-hoofball revolution with their fans - alas it seems I haven't been successful.

yes, that supermikey is a one isn't he? he describes balls being aimed by our defenders from within our own half to our strikers, but isn't this what Bobby Moore used to do on a regular basis and highlighted by the pass to Hurst in the World Cup final for one of his goals? If it was good enough for Sir Bobby then carry on

How surprising, a West Ham fan talking about the 1966 WC. He is correct in that hoofball was quite prevalent back in those days, but so were communism, The Munsters and unshaved bushes. The world may have moved on since then, matey.

This is an excellent post over on Saints web (that I pasted below after my insight). It's pretty much the truth for anyone who is looking too deeply into that long ball stat. It's also key to note that not all long balls are created equal. For example those nice long balls over the top we have been playing down the wings the last couple of weeks are a thing of beauty. On the other hand Collins hoofs into the box from our own end........

Zactly.

If you're playing it from near the half-way line it's not really a long ball is it

A very illogical post from SuperMickey

I had previously written out a quite lengthy post about degrees of certainty in life, but I figured I could just cut out all the waffle and sum it up in one sentence. (Some) West Ham fans are f*cking clueless.

I'm bored, so thought I would have a glance at KUMB to see whether i've managed to single-handedly inspire an anti-hoofball revolution with their fans - alas it seems I haven't been successful.

How surprising, a West Ham fan talking about the 1966 WC. He is correct in that hoofball was quite prevalent back in those days, but so were communism, The Munsters and unshaved bushes. The world may have moved on since then, matey.

I had previously written out a quite lengthy post about degrees of certainty in life, but I figured I could just cut out all the waffle and sum it up in one sentence. (Some) West Ham fans are f*cking clueless.

Nice one Mickey ;)

Let them enjoy being force fed BFS s**t. At least, they can hold their noses and tell themselves its 'effective' football.

Alas the league table suggests its not as effective as our football.

With seven 30+ year olds on the pitch for them, great to see BFS is thinking long-term.

Absolute mugs.

Edited by shurlock