WHU 3 Saints 1 Match Reaction

Glasgow_Saint

I think we lack composure in and around the box; that comes with experience, both of age and the PL. When you see the ages of the lads, JR

It's not always a lack of composure, sometimes the chances are not clear cut and you have to hit the ball as it's rising, when it's on your wrong foot, and when you have not quite got your feet set. Lallana for example hits ball that have no right being hit. Other players would wait until the ball settles and by then the chance has gone. Other players won't even take the chance, they will hold it up pass and then perhaps the chance goes. That's why we have so many shots but don't score hundreds of goals. If we didn't make all,these efforts on goal people would moan about a lack of shots. The key is taking guilt edge chances like the lambert one last week.

Yep, the season ended last Saturday.

We need to start building for next year. MP needs a new contract and a commitment from Ms Liebherr that reasonable funds will continue to be made available. Much good work has taken place this season (I am deliberately not mentioning the FA Cup) it would be a shame if we start stagnating now.

Apologies to those who i have annoyed with my many responses to the idiots

Pastor patron, Alpine, Glasgow, Barry Sanchez but they are such tools..

I shall have the four on ignore from now on...

Oh dear. Seems like an infraction has been handed out.

Fully deserved, imo. You were a disgrace this afternoon.

Oh dear. Seems like an infraction has been handed out.

Fully deserved, imo. You were a disgrace this afternoon.

Whoops forgot to add you to ignore despite saying i would, shall get on it now

Sadly for you, you utter crybaby, i have not received an infraction just decided of my own back to apologise

like an adult to normal posters, shame you are to childish to do the same and will continue with your crap

You can reply with some stupid crap but i shall be unable to read it thankfully unless someone quotes you...

Whoops forgot to add you to ignore despite saying i would, shall get on it now

Sadly for you, you utter crybaby, i have not received an infraction just decided of my own back to apologise

like an adult to normal posters, shame you are to childish to do the same and will continue with your crap

You can reply with some stupid crap but i shall be unable to read it thankfully unless someone quotes you...

Jesus christ, you can't apologize and start waffling all over again! Just ignore them already.

Some of you lot do talk a load of ********.

We were the better side, but failed to take our chances. AGAIN.

The season will peter out into a midtable finish, which is pretty good all things considered. However, it would clearly be better if we were still in the cup.

Agreed.

Been the same old story all season namely that our finishing isn't up to it.

We all knew that the priority last summer was a goal scoring striker and Ossie should have been the answer. Unfortunately it didn't work out and we have gone back to square 1.

It's really frustrating as our midfield is brilliant and our first choice defence is solid but when that ball gets worked into the area we don't have anyone to regularly stick it in the net.

But don't worry, the season isn't over. We can still get the record of 'number of consecutive games spent in the same table position' award.

Lots to play for :lol:

Nothing wrong with the selection, tactics or even the way we played today, just one of those days.

I only saw 30 minutes of the 2nd half, but thats pretty much what I gleaned from the little I saw, and the commentators seemed to be saying the same thing.

I thought we were ok. Created enough to have won the game but we lost it because we missed chances and also because we simply couldn't cope with Carlton Cole in the air. He won everything and it was only a matter of time before Nolan picked up a second ball. The third goal is the most classic Sam Allardyce goal you will ever see. Cross from deep, big man wins first header and Nolan arrives well to pick up the scraps

We clearly don't match up particularly well against long ball sides and we need to find a way to cope with it better

OK, so thats why we chose to duck out of the FA cup. Hmmmm.

End of season, basically, mid table, safe. i would have settled for that before the season started, but things looked so much brighter for a long time, then fizzled out before we retired last weekend.

OK, so thats why we chose to duck out of the FA cup. Hmmmm.

End of season, basically, mid table, safe. i would have settled for that before the season started, but things looked so much brighter for a long time, then fizzled out before we retired last weekend.

As many others have said , we are just not clinical enough. WH semed to have so many defenders behind the ball and only Lallana and Ramirez had any nounce to be able to break them down. If we had taken our chances, we would hve won despite the first offside goal and Yoshida's inability to control the ball for the 2nd. But football is full of what ifs, but finishing is our weakness without douibt.

I hate West Ham. Missed our first goal because even though I followed signs to the right stand I was then redirected to go a different way by stewards. Terrible area, terrible club, terrible style of football. We were far better than them but they won because of there style of football and their ability to know where to put the ball to be effective.

Jesus christ, you can't apologize and start waffling all over again! Just ignore them already.

Sorry Clarkey, I disagree with this 'ignore them if you don't agree with them' sentiment. A forum should engage all our opinions. I generally agree with the more moderate posters but accept people feel more strongly than me.

This would be an extremely dull site if you were all like me ;)

Why not wingers? A plan B needs something different to what we have. Either way we need players that can dribble and create to add to those we have.

Looking down at the threads started on this forum makes me think it's time to leave all you crying bastards who obviously have forgotten where we were a few seasons ago to fight it out between yourselves good luck

Was Vic injured today mate?

The season just seems to be "coasting" to a conclusion now as mid table inertia seems to have set in. Those who hope/expect to go to the World Cup are not going to risk injury and relegation is no longer a threat. There are usually many games the are meaningless towards the end of a season, its just that Saints have reached that plateau earlier than in many seasons and there is literally nothing to play for other than points money from the Premier league. Those who "want" or "need" the points are going to be a greater threat than earlier in the season so there may be more poor performances still to come!

Looking down at the threads started on this forum makes me think it's time to leave all you crying bastards who obviously have forgotten where we were a few seasons ago to fight it out between yourselves good luck

You have plenty of allies who agree and are fed up with the whingers.

Reading the first page of this thread is more depressing than shelling out cash and watching a defeat. Noticeable that the posts have got progressively more sensible. My thoughts are:

1. There cannot be much fundamentally with an attacking performance that creates 25 shots. Clearly we had one of those days when we wasted many of them and did not make Adrian work. No one at Fulham or Cardiff would have said we can't score goals and on another day we could have banged in 5.

2. Lambert has been a hero and is still worth place in the squad but he looks terribly jaded. Massively ironic that we chose NOT to rest him against Sunderland, but rest other younger and fitter players. He needs a rest as most 32 year olds in top flight football do.

3. Quite apart from the hoof ball which is awful, Wet Spam do actually pose different threats. They are only Premier side that plays two genuine wingers, and they get more aerial threat in than most from wide positions. We struggled to cope with Cole today, as limited as he is, and should not have allowed the space and time for the cross on the third one. Their wingers kept our full backs occupied in the first half- note how much more Luke came into the game after Jarvis went off. Fair play to Big Sam.

4. Lovren back fit makes a difference, as in my opinion does Clyne. Chambers is promising but much more limited going forward at present.

As for all of the moaning about MoPO, it's embarrassing.

Shame really, but I thought West Ham outplayed us and were tactically better frankly.

Ugly hoofing footy or not, Big Sam had studied how to beat Saints; park a bus rapidly at the back as Saints are slow coming forward into the last 1/3rd (even on a break), put in loads of crosses and high balls, which we always look nervous at clearing, and go for quick breaks and sucker punches as we expect teams to try and play through the midfield as we do. Also, never give up as this is a team that can't hold a lead at the moment... and seems to have nothing to play for except for 3-4 seats on a plane to Brazil in the Summer.

We were out muscled, out thought tactically and frankly we give the ball away too much (or just kicked it out of play too often - Boruc).

There were positives though. Lots of sideways possession made the stats looked good again (!) but a little hope that Ramirez may - just may - be able to change our game plan and break through strong defences with some direct play and skill (and by god does he know how to get a free kick just outside of the box). Also, great turn out of supporters - even though MoPo has yet to acknowledge he's let us down in the FA Cup.

Reading the first page of this thread is more depressing than shelling out cash and watching a defeat. Noticeable that the posts have got progressively more sensible. My thoughts are:

1. There cannot be much fundamentally with an attacking performance that creates 25 shots. Clearly we had one of those days when we wasted many of them and did not make Adrian work. No one at Fulham or Cardiff would have said we can't score goals and on another day we could have banged in 5.

2. Lambert has been a hero and is still worth place in the squad but he looks terribly jaded. Massively ironic that we chose NOT to rest him against Sunderland, but rest other younger and fitter players. He needs a rest as most 32 year olds in top flight football do.

3. Quite apart from the hoof ball which is awful, Wet Spam do actually pose different threats. They are only Premier side that plays two genuine wingers, and they get more aerial threat in than most from wide positions. We struggled to cope with Cole today, as limited as he is, and should not have allowed the space and time for the cross on the third one. Their wingers kept our full backs occupied in the first half- note how much more Luke came into the game after Jarvis went off. Fair play to Big Sam.

4. Lovren back fit makes a difference, as in my opinion does Clyne. Chambers is promising but much more limited going forward at present.

As for all of the moaning about MoPO, it's embarrassing.

Nothing about Ramirez performance??

Shame really, but I thought West Ham outplayed us and were tactically better frankly.

Ugly hoofing footy or not, Big Sam had studied how to beat Saints; park a bus rapidly at the back as Saints are slow coming forward into the last 1/3rd (even on a break), put in loads of crosses and high balls, which we always look nervous at clearing, and go for quick breaks and sucker punches as we expect teams to try and play through the midfield as we do. Also, never give up as this is a team that can't hold a lead at the moment... and seems to have nothing to play for except for 3-4 seats on a plane to Brazil in the Summer.

We were out muscled, out thought tactically and frankly we give the ball away too much (or just kicked it out of play too often - Boruc).

There were positives though. Lots of sideways possession made the stats looked good again (!) but a little hope that Ramirez may - just may - be able to change our game plan and break through strong defences with some direct play and skill (and by god does he know how to get a free kick just outside of the box). Also, great turn out of supporters - even though MoPo has yet to acknowledge he's let us down in the FA Cup.

this

we were poor today,dont normally leave a game early but today I did.

the support was fantastic in the concourse at ht,pity it wasn't on the terraces

as for the team,we can have all the possession we like but once we are in the final third we don't penetrate quick enough and are so predictable

love saints but today was sh**e

Here here, not just a few seasons ago but the majority of the nineties and noughties.

Congratulations to BFS for turning things around and sussing out how to beat Pochettino's one trick pony tactics. I thought we played pretty well but as I said month back we just can't score, and it's goals and our goal difference that are going to count where we end up.

Gallagher should have come on earlier for Ricky. Jrod has been sussed out and somewhat ineffective. Ramirez did really well but must be used as a Super Sub as he'd just fade if he was in the starting line up.

You win some, you lose some but today BFS was the big winner. Pochettino should leave the football doing the talking and not make wild opinions and predictions.

What a pit this place is becoming. I thought we were pretty good but just didn't finish the chances we had. We have taken six points from three away games which is a decent return.

So we lost to a Neanderthal football team. So what. The linesman missing offside was a game changer. I think they wouldn't have scored the second if they hadn't been gifted the first.

They had one game, win the ball and hit it up front. They won, but I can tell you this, If my team played this way I would give up going. They had more than a bit of luck even the second goal hit Yoshida and fell right for Cole.

We played as a team against a massed defence and created good chances. Boruc had no chance with the second and third goals. Apart from the first didn't have a save to make.

The weaknesses for me. Davis, plenty of buzz and link but no cutting edge, his game is mediocrity that flatters to deceive. Now is the time to bring in Ramirez. Lambert is struggling because only Rodriguez and Lallana are attackers, Schneiderlin, Cork, Davis are too content in midfield so when Wanyama is ready go back to the early season line up with Schneiderlin pushing further forward and Cork and Davis dropping out. Lovren to come back in and maybe Clyne.

I think that might reduce the backwards and sideways a little but enhance the penetration and get at the defence a lot quicker without changing the way we play. Lovren and Wanyama would make us stronger in the air.

Hard to blame you if you did.

I really do wonder about some of our fans. We've got the best academy in the country; we play attractive, progressive, possession football, we're in our second season back in the Prem with the only clubs above us being those who are so-called 'big clubs'. Things are good, and things will in all likelihood get better. Yes we lost today, and yes there is room for improvement. We're on a journey and I love it.

COYRs!

And TheVman - keep posing your snippets!

What a pit this place is becoming. I thought we were pretty good but just didn't finish the chances we had. We have taken six points from three away games which is a decent return.

So we lost to a Neanderthal football team. So what. The linesman missing offside was a game changer. I think they wouldn't have scored the second if they hadn't been gifted the first.

They had one game, win the ball and hit it up front. They won, but I can tell you this, If my team played this way I would give up going. They had more than a bit of luck even the second goal hit Yoshida and fell right for Cole.

We played as a team against a massed defence and created good chances. Boruc had no chance with the second and third goals. Apart from the first didn't have a save to make.

The weaknesses for me. Davis, plenty of buzz and link but no cutting edge, his game is mediocrity that flatters to deceive. Now is the time to bring in Ramirez. Lambert is struggling because only Rodriguez and Lallana are attackers, Schneiderlin, Cork, Davis are too content in midfield so when Wanyama is ready go back to the early season line up with Schneiderlin pushing further forward and Cork and Davis dropping out. Lovren to come back in and maybe Clyne.

I think that might reduce the backwards and sideways a little but enhance the penetration and get at the defence a lot quicker without changing the way we play. Lovren and Wanyama would make us stronger in the air.

I agree. Ramirez makes us more dynamic in the final third and not only does Wanyama give us more in the air than Cork, he also makes us more solid at the back when our full backs are caught forward. I would be quite happy if he only ever passes the ball 5 yards and allows Morgan to play a more attacking role.

Totally agree! But that's the trouble with the internet - a selection of odd people who just want to wind others up and those, who would still be moaning if we won every week and were top of the league.

We will win games against weaker opposition. Wham wanted the win today and are on a roll.

In my mind at the start of the season I would be happy for Prem survival. Another 3 or 4 points and that will be assured and that's me happy.

I am crying with laughter at how one person can be so funny. You're, like, the wittiest trolling wind up merchant the internet has ever seen.

Do your yo-yo strategy material again. Just exceptional.

The weaknesses for me. Davis, plenty of buzz and link but no cutting edge, his game is mediocrity that flatters to deceive. Now is the time to bring in Ramirez.

Don't underestimate what Davis does for us defensively and in terms of possession. I like Ramirez a lot, but we will be more open and have less ball. Whether that is compensated by what Ramirez offers I don't know, but just because Davis does have a nut meg in him doesn't mean he does contribute greatly to what is good about us.

Don't underestimate what Davis does for us defensively and in terms of possession. I like Ramirez a lot, but we will be more open and have less ball. Whether that is compensated by what Ramirez offers I don't know, but just because Davis does have a nut meg in him doesn't mean he does contribute greatly to what is good about us.

Gaston doesn't play properganda football. We have enough of those players and gaston is working harder. Nothing to say we won't have same possession.