Ralph Krueger upcoming appointment

saintoaks

Amen to that Norm,

..this isn't about the man's football nous but helping staff and players to go out on match days with the right mental attitude.

I've been attending seminars and listening to people (for years) who often aren't in my profession, but found their advice / experience far more rewarding than many " so-called experts" in my own.

This does kinda remind me of when Justin Timberlake made the switch from signing to acting, people laughed and said he would fail.....

Justin Timberlake is now one of the worlds best actors and signers, so is proof it can be done.

My main worry is - succesful or not, how settled will he be? His heart is clearly with his ice hockey and if/when ice hockey offers come again will he simply jump ship?

Justin Timberlake ??:lol:........was that poll amongst members in his fan club, or .....?

Seem to recall Danny Higginbotham having to explain to SCW the difference between a throw-in in rugby and football. Sorry, skills are not transferable from one sport to another.

Think they are partly transferable on a basic level - all these 'passing' sports (obviously rugby is slightly different because you cant pass forwards) require an understanding of space, how to make and exploit it along with the mental and planning side. How you gameplan for an opposition or the debate about what comes first -the system or the players- are the same regardless of the team sport.

Remember Adkins saying that one of the best pieces of advice he got was from Steve McClaren who told him to look into American sports -basketball etc- as it was rich territory to find lessons that could be applied to football.

Would you guys take a press officer who's only worked in rugby?

Can a fella who's just left London Irish sell meat and ale pies at SMS?

All too often senior officials at clubs meddle in sporting matters - from his words we have an indication that he understands that and will respect the coach's judgement. That's as good as we can hope for.

I'd certainly rather have someone from another sport with the skills and experience to do his job than a 'football man' without.

Would you guys take a press officer who's only worked in rugby? .......if he was a good communicator - why not? Lots of people who have more than one sport interest.

Can a fella who's just left London Irish sell meat and ale pies at SMS? .....if he was a good salesperson -YES.....what's his interest in rugby got to do with that?

All too often senior officials at clubs meddle in sporting matters - from his words we have an indication that he understands that and will respect the coach's judgement. That's as good as we can hope for.

I'd certainly rather have someone from another sport with the skills and experience to do his job than a 'football man' without. Exactly right

and so it is in many other professions, too. Many top managers move from one industry to another quite successfully.

Edited by david in sweden

As long as he keeps his nose out of football affairs (unlike Woodward) I don't see a problem. Does it actually say anywhere what his role will be?

This basically. As long as he stays away from the footballing side of things, surely having a a well-respected guy with close connections to the owners helping out behind the scenes in whatever way he can will only be a good thing?

If we appointed Alex ferguson, morinio , Pellegrini et al to our club . The same people would find something to moan about these guys as well It's in their genes .

Dan Ashcroft was right all along with his prophetic 'The Rise of the Idiots' article in Sugar Ape.

The fact that Ms Liebherr was at the West Ham V Saints game Saturday.....shows her intent to stick with the mighty Saints.

Her appointment of Ralph Krueger also shows long term planning.

As others have said....as long as his position does not involve MPs side of players/selection/matches etc...I have no problem.

In MP I trust to take us onwards and upwards.

Yes...I had great problem with Rupert and Mr Woodward.....:rolleyes:

quite obvious to me....all about Rupert..in his tracksuit with clipboard...

with Woodward stood alongside him running the team:(

Woodward groomed to eventually run the Saints first team:mcinnes:

No wonder Arry boy didn't want to play ball..

From what Mr Krueger has stated......no interference to MP/team etc:)

My opinion Duncan . Is that I welcome the guy . I have read the daily mail article and sounds like he is well suited to the club

He does have a sporting background which will help in the role he has at the club . He's here to add value to the club not on the playing field . He's made that quite clear in his article .

He is no SCW and will not have input re on the field matters if the article is anything to go by .

The SCW experiment why some what innovative was bound to fail . raptly because of redknapp and partly because of the media

I do await the announcement of the CEO as well

I see the appointments as positive move by the club

However Duncan I don't mean to moan about the moaners but you have to admit it gets pretty tedious when the same few ave very little positivity about the club .

Several are on my ignore list but there's so much cut and paste going on you cannot fail to see it .

On a positive note I did enjoy your post on the lad from Airdrie

I think this is a good appointment. Its a member of the board, not a member of the coaching team (or whatever SCW was appointed as). He comes with good sporting credentials and someone trusted by KL. I don't think he felt the need to get involved in football to prove anything as he agreed to come to Saints before the Winter Olympics.

Here's a couple of articles about his involvement with team Canada's build up to the games.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/olympics/ralph-krueger-hopes-his-work-has-made-team-canada-the-best-prepared-squad-at-olympics/article16772847/

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/olympics/print/Krueger-is-Canadas-secret-weapon-244640951.html

It will be interesting to see what involvement he will have at Saints.

This vid highlights how transferable his skills could be...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4hpRNElc4Y

In my view,this announcement along with others since NC’s departure shows the differencesbetween NC and KL and ultimately why he left. I had, along with many othersthought that NC would mount a bid for Saints with other backers but I am nolonger sure any more?

NC has alwaysbeen a very ruthless and single mindedly successful high achiever in everythinghe has done in his life, and his SFC project was no different. At the time ofML rescuing the club, ML was happy with us getting in to and staying in the PLwhereas NC wanted top 4 or better. NC was never backward in funding that ambitioneither (albeit with ML’s money) – remember the “we are the Man City of L1” etc.quotes?

NC is a driven individualin whatever he does – no matter what that is – so if he is running a footballclub, it will either be close to the very best or nothing. So, in my view hewanted to spend big in the summer to get us closer to that aim (£100M –consistent with the rumored targets if believed). KL says no way, but here’s£30M (minimum to stop him resigning on the spot) and we will review in Jan. Weget to 3rd and hit injury and squad depth issues, so NC insists onspending the rest/more in Jan. KL says no. NC says you have no ambition and hedoes not want to be part of a 2nd rate operation and leaves.

I believe NC willgo back to the world of finance he knows well and will once again become a #1success earning 10’s if not 100’s of millions of Euro’s per year in bonuseswithout any fans scrutinizing how he is ripping off SFC with his £1M salary,and consider his debt to his loyal friend repaid in full.

KL will nodoubt lead us to an era of mid table PL obscurity – which I am entirelygrateful for given my absolute despair prior to her dear father’s rescue of ourbeloved club (happy to have a club in L1 than none at all), and she will nodoubt be honoring her late father’s expectations also.

I am notentirely certain how to call this myself, although I am reminded of particularquote, “It's so much easier to have no expectations than to have big ones

Well the impact this guy has will depend on what his brief is. It seems his past experience tends to suggest he likes giving motivational speeches - if he intends doing this with the squad there is a real danger that mixed messages MAY be the result and the players performances will drop rather than improve. My feeling is that the current squad is close to being as good as it can be, so will this guy bring anything new? Very unsure at the moment, but time will tell and who knows, this may assist in taking us to the much lauded 'next level'.

I think this is a good appointment. Its a member of the board, not a member of the coaching team (or whatever SCW was appointed as). He comes with good sporting credentials and someone trusted by KL. I don't think he felt the need to get involved in football to prove anything as he agreed to come to Saints before the Winter Olympics.

Here's a couple of articles about his involvement with team Canada's build up to the games.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/olympics/ralph-krueger-hopes-his-work-has-made-team-canada-the-best-prepared-squad-at-olympics/article16772847/

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/olympics/print/Krueger-is-Canadas-secret-weapon-244640951.html

It will be interesting to see what involvement he will have at Saints.

This vid highlights how transferable his skills could be...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4hpRNElc4Y

I'd say the quality of that cheerleading team needs significant improvement. Freddy Krueger out.

Motivation is about "setting goals " having a vision and finding the correct message(s) to encourage people (in this case - the players) who are undoubtedly benefitting from MP's training methods,

but perhaps RK will be help take us to the next level - whereas MP surely lacks some of the sort of vocabulary that Kreuger has used so successfully in the past in so many areas.

I'd like to think Krueger would be working more with the development squad than the first team. After all, "the project" is all about accelerating the progress of players from the academy into the first team squad so injecting some motivational and confidence boosting effort at that level would seem most beneficial. No danger of stepping on MP's toes that way either. IMO of course.

Edited by trousers

Well the impact this guy has will depend on what his brief is. It seems his past experience tends to suggest he likes giving motivational speeches - if he intends doing this with the squad there is a real danger that mixed messages MAY be the result and the players performances will drop rather than improve. My feeling is that the current squad is close to being as good as it can be, so will this guy bring anything new? Very unsure at the moment, but time will tell and who knows, this may assist in taking us to the much lauded 'next level'.

What about downing half the glass and attempting to motivate others that it's still half full?

I'd like to think Krueger would be working more with the development squad than the first team. After all, "the project" is all about accelerating the progress of players from the academy into the first team squad so injecting some motivational and confidence boosting effort at that level would seem most beneficial. No danger of stepping on MP's toes that way either. IMO of course.

I think you may be on the right track with your train of thought Trousers, however, I would involve the first team squad if I was him, not involving tactics or in fact anything to do with football. My tack would be to sell the mission in what the club is trying to achieve, ie Champions league, not whether it is achievable more on how it is achieved and how the current squad and academy players would be a part of that; from a financial stand point I would being going gangbusters to bring more money into the club through sponcership, in addition marketing the club abroad, sure you would be up against the top six but there is always a gap that can be filling our coffers; a challenge for sure, is it doable? Definately.