Palace Build up

Lighthouse

When Yaya was Wanyama's age he was playing for Metalurg Donnetsk, a bunch of also rans in the Ukrainian Premier League. I can't remember much from Saintsforever back then but I'm pretty sure Mash wasn't on here telling everyone he was world class.

Edited by Lighthouse

When Vieira was Wanyama's age he was playing for Metalurg Donnetsk, a bunch of also rans in the Ukrainian Premier League. I can't remember much from Saintsforever back then but I'm pretty sure Mash wasn't on here telling everyone he was world class.
How can I argue with such logic :uhoh: When did Viera play for Metalurg Donetsk? Not that it has any relevance to anything.

Doesn't he mean Touré?

He didn't AS Cannes,AC Milan,Arsenal,Juventus,Inter,City. Think he won the PL title wth Arsenal when he was 22. Won the WC as well
Correct. Wanyama is a very good, solid, defensive midfielder, but he needs a bit more than time and a bit of work on his passing to become a Viera or Toure unfortunately. A pity, as I'd hoped he was going to offer a bit more of an all round game for us, but still a good player and a decent signing.

Correct. Wanyama is a very good, solid, defensive midfielder, but he needs a bit more than time and a bit of work on his passing to become a Viera or Toure unfortunately. A pity, as I'd hoped he was going to offer a bit more of an all round game for us, but still a good player and a decent signing.

Anyway it's not exactly the same role, Viera was what I'd call a "milieu relayeur", Petit was the DM in that pairing both for Arsenal and France at that time. Petit won the ball, Viera was there to take it forward. That's one of our problems just now

we seem to have 2 DMs and no relayeur, probably because Cork isn't strong enough in the tacke to take on the role 100% so we have to rely on Davis to take the ball forward. When Wanyama is 100% again perhaps we could go back to the 4-1-2-3

system that we seemed to use at the start of the season..

Wanyama is full of potential. Anything could happen.

Anyway as Victor's game for Kenya has now been pushed back to tomorrow at 4 I doubt that he'll be in the starting line up on Saturday....unless he plays just a few minutes for Kenya tomorrow, can't see that as he's their star player. Will probably be the last one back to Southampton, some time on friday I expect..

Anyway as Victor's game for Kenya has now been pushed back to tomorrow at 4 I doubt that he'll be in the starting line up on Saturday....unless he plays just a few minutes for Kenya tomorrow, can't see that as he's their star player. Will probably be the last one back to Southampton, some time on friday I expect..

I think the Kenya vs Sudan game has been called off altogether so Victor shouldn't be tired out!

Boruc

Clyne . Fonte . Lovren . Shaw.

Cork . Schneiderlin

Lallana . Ramirez . Rodriguez

Lambert

Pace up the wings. Trickery through the middle. Rickie actually in a position to finish chances.

Would be nice.

Ok in theory but as has been seen and stated before, unlikely to function without Davis the lynchpin.

But leave Ramirez out, lose creativity, leave Morgan or Cork out, lose midfield control.

I fon't know the answer. Hope MP does.

I believe, what I consider to be, our first choice 11 are all fit. They may not be match fit or totally sharp. I would like to see the team given a run of games, build understanding and match sharpness.

Boric

Chambers (Clyne very close)

Fonte

Lovren

Shaw

Schneiderlin

Wanyama

Ramirez

Lallana

Rodriguez

Lambert

I would be confident of that team against Palace.

Chambers v Clyne is hard. Thought Clyne was excellent early season but Chambers has been one of our best players recently. (Arsenal game in particular).

I think Wanyama is a better player than Cork, although Cork has done well. Last season Cork seemed to get the credit for turning our season around. The same thinking can be used to show how much we have missed Wanyama. I think that Cork is mobile and technically good. His positioning is not as good as Schneiderlin. I think he gets caught out more than he should. He is not as solid defensively as either Schneiderlin and offers no attacking threat. This isn't saying he is bad just looking at differences to choose. Wanyama hasn't been as good since injury but Cork took while to get back to speed. I would play Wanyama for more protection for Ramirez over Davis. Think Wanyama may get a goal first as well.

Davis has played well but every game Ramirez has come on recently he has looked very good. What those who didn't go on Saturday would have missed was how keen he was and how hard he worked. He was continually finding space, always wanting the ball and we immediately looked more likely to score. I think he could develop a scary partnership with Lallana.

I would like to see Gallagher given game time.

The stats bear out what we see. I'd add that the build up is often slow so that by the time we get crosses in, the penalty box is defended. With a slow build up we need better quality on the ball to open teams up in and around the penalty box or we get some pace in the side and have the option of breaking at speed. Man City have both better quality on the ball and pace.

The stats bear out what we see. I'd add that the build up is often slow so that by the time we get crosses in, the penalty box is defended. With a slow build up we need better quality on the ball to open teams up in and around the penalty box or we get some pace in the side and have the option of breaking at speed. Man City have both better quality on the ball and pace.

Or, as we saw with England, Lallana (or Gaston) may be the answer IF he was working more centrally and closer to the box instead of cutting in, often from 30/40 yards out?

Ditto. Nothing wrong with a slow, patient, probing build up. What worries me is that we so rarely try anything else. We dominate possession for long periods, dont create any serious openings and whoever we are playing, when they get the ball, they often turn and attack us at speed, immediately, and we panic. If only we had that plan B

Many see Davis as an important part of our midfield, something I agree with, but some of my close friends have pointed out that he does not have the ability to get things moving. He looks for the safe option with the very occasional good cross field pass starting an attack. Gaston came on last week and lit the game up for 10 minutes or so then disappeared out on the right. He could be the linchpin if he plays more centrally providing he compliments Lallana and does not negate Adams flair.

I would like to see us start with Ramirez in place of Davis and use the latter later in the game to bolster our midfield in the defensive way he usually does.

Edited by Weston Saint

I think if there is a good chance to give Gaston an opportunity, it's against a side who we're going to have a lot of the ball against. But I do think Davis is underrated on here. He's very important to us when we don't have the ball and pressing. Palace will attack us down the wings with pace and power in Ince and Bolasie, so I do worry a bit about our defensive frailties down the wings with Gaston and JRod either side.

My post was written before reading that report but its pretty much what I was trying to address. Cork & Davis are both very good midfielder players, never worried to see them in the team & playing well. However, the balance of the side would be better, in my opinion, with Ramirez and Wanyama. I think a match fit Wanyama is a better player all round than Cork, yes unsurprisingly not instantly back to his best after a broken bone, but remember the reviews early season? Even if you disagree, I'm sure you would agree that defensively he is much better - the best we have for sitting in front of CBs (wasn't there a forward CB debate here once? Lol).

That not only sures up the defence (now needed) but allows Morgan more freedom (often seems to need to help Cork out). Almost leaving Morgan to take on much of work recently done by Davis.

Playing Ramirez allows him and Lallana to interchange with being a playmaker and more advanced centrally. We moved the ball much more quickly with Ramirez on Saturday and were taking shots. Unfortunately when the second goal went the rest of team lost confidence.

The system with midfielder pushing forward worked better with wanyama in the side.

Hope MP tries it...

Suspect the team sheet will have some surprises in it where players haven't quite recovered from midweek matches. I definitely think Yoshida, Wanyama and Shaw will all rested/on the bench. (Shaw looked like he picked up a knock during the England game and was struggling at one point).

I'm expecting to see Boruc, Chambers, Fonte, TBC, Clyne,

Cork, Schneiderlin,

Rodriguez, TBC, TBC

Lambert

Been saying for a few weeks that as consistent as Davis his,he doesn't actually do much considering he is supposed to be in the CAM position.he is one of our most consistent players but the formation we play doesn't really fit him imo

We need a hybrid of Gaston's creativity with Davis's engine,for me that would be the perfect player in that position.

failing that as mentioned AL behind the front 3 as the playmaker,but whoever we play out wide in our current squad is pretty ineffective,the only one I thought was decent out wide was Guly (it was last season he played a few games there)and that was more for his tracking back defensive side.

If we buy a decent winger in the summer I would like to see AL play the Oscar role and start to build the team around him,because as you saw on Wednesday playing central the Danes didn't know what way he was going and couldn't handle him for the 20 odd minutes he was on

Edited by pangy

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/26426595

I was impressed by the way Southampton midfielder Adam Lallana played for England against Denmark on Wednesday night, and the fact that Saints have a few other players hoping to get in Roy Hodgson's World Cup squad should mean they will not lose their focus between now and the end of the season.

But I fancy Crystal Palace to win this one. They came back to get a good point against Swansea last weekend and I think people are really warming to Tony Pulis for the job he has done there.

Whatever you think about his style of play, Pulis is just an honest bloke. Not only for the way he dealt with his players diving in that game but also the fact he admitted he got his tactics wrong in the first half at the Liberty Stadium.

I do not see Palace pulling away from the relegation battle between now and the end of the season but that doesn't matter; all Pulis will care about is keeping them out of the bottom three.

Lawro's prediction: 2-1

Come on Saints let's put the last few weeks behind us and finish the season on a high!

Get out there and knock the back doors off it.

Fck the cup.

Fck the league.

This is football, it's What you do.

Kind regard's,

Cellers.

Think we'll nick a win. Tough game, but we've got a few players that'll feel they've got a point to prove.

I always get more confident the closer it is to kick off! Think we'll have too much for them, with a top performance from Ads to top off a great week for him.

1-2

Been saying for a few weeks that as consistent as Davis his,he doesn't actually do much considering he is supposed to be in the CAM position.he is one of our most consistent players but the formation we play doesn't really fit him imo

I don't think you understand Davis' role in that case. If you think he is CAM then why does he spend a lot of time in the right back position allowing Chambers to bomb forward. The two of them interchanging down the right is a striking feature of the way we play. At other times Davis gets forward more and provides some assists, it would be good if he could score a few more but that will come I believe. To say he has been "consistent" is a poor summary, he has been MOTM or close to it on several occasions in the last few weeks, his engine is amazing, it is a shame that Poch does not see him and Gaston on the field at the same time. Last week it would have been better to have replaced J-Rod with Ramirez, other times maybe SRL, but I would like to see SD and GR playing together more often, with GR in the more central/#10 role.

I don't think you understand Davis' role in that case. If you think he is CAM then why does he spend a lot of time in the right back position allowing Chambers to bomb forward. The two of them interchanging down the right is a striking feature of the way we play. At other times Davis gets forward more and provides some assists, it would be good if he could score a few more but that will come I believe. To say he has been "consistent" is a poor summary, he has been MOTM or close to it on several occasions in the last few weeks, his engine is amazing, it is a shame that Poch does not see him and Gaston on the field at the same time. Last week it would have been better to have replaced J-Rod with Ramirez, other times maybe SRL, but I would like to see SD and GR playing together more often, with GR in the more central/#10 role.

Agree - not sure what games some have been watching. If anything Lallana has been playing CAM recently. Davis has been playing on the right hand side - in effect where JWP was earlier in the season. Indeed, we've played Lambert out there on occasion (Newcastle, A), suggesting it's been a bit of problem area.

As you say, Davis holds his runs so that the fullback -whether Clyne or Chambers- can push on. If we want a greater threat down there, perhaps we should be looking to replace Clyne for Chambers rather than focussing simply on Davis. Indeed, the Fulham game epitomised how well Davis links up with the FB - but it was only in the second when Clyne came on -and in the process set up the second goal that we saw the full benefits IMO.

Agree. The report goes on about saints having to much possession on the flanks... So, if we were to consider ourselves as a high pressing team then the full backs would need to be attacking, which they are. This has now become a predictible tactic and nullified and when the inside ball to Lallana is cut out as happened in the second half against Liverpool, we become all possession and no product.

Talking about stats.

Clyne 4 assists and 1 goal

Chambers 0 assists and 0 goals.

My opinion is that Clyne should get the nod and if he had been the main right back all year he probably would have gone to Brazil.