Jose Mourinho: Signing Luke Shaw would have "killed" Chelsea

doddisalegend

A club that pays U18 players £20k a week' date=' I'll file this one under 'talking bull****'.[/quote']

Exactly. Just Mourinho starting his very tedious and tiresome 'mind games'.

'Look how much bigger man utd are, they have so much more money than us bla bla bla'.

Well the initial reports were £160k a week. It is a rather sad state of affairs on a number of levels.

1) That wages are so stupid. Really, no football player needs to get paid more than £10k a week, or at a stretch £20k. I don't buy into the short playing career argument, but that is somewhat reinforced if you are earning millions a year.

2) That Man Utd seem to have found themselves in this position and need to take other teams's 18yo players. It is a while since they have brought through a worldie of their own (or is that a false impression?)

3) That a club can shell that out on an 18yo. Still Rooney is on something like £300k a week. The integrity of the competition, I was going to say, severely at risk, but we all know it went a long time ago.

4) That football, as I and many others have oft repeated, has been ruined by money.

5) The football players and the PL terraces have no connection/bond remaining.

Hey ho.

Well the initial reports were £160k a week. It is a rather sad state of affairs on a number of levels.

1) That wages are so stupid. Really, no football player needs to get paid more than £10k a week, or at a stretch £20k. I don't buy into the short playing career argument, but that is somewhat reinforced if you are earning millions a year.

2) That Man Utd seem to have found themselves in this position and need to take other teams's 18yo players. It is a while since they have brought through a worldie of their own (or is that a false impression?)

3) That a club can shell that out on an 18yo. Still Rooney is on something like £300k a week. The integrity of the competition, I was going to say, severely at risk, but we all know it went a long time ago.

4) That football, as I and many others have oft repeated, has been ruined by money.

Hey ho.

James Wilson is scoring for fun in the youth divisions and had an incredible debut in the PL, I expect him to be one of the greats if he continues to develop at this rate.

Hey ho.

But when you get £750 million in shirt sponsorship they can afford obscene wages.

Edited by mcjwills

James Wilson is scoring for fun in the youth divisions and had an incredible debut in the PL, I expect him to be one of the greats if he continues to develop at this rate.

He does actually look the real deal. I really hope he's given the chance there and isn't shipped out on loan every year. I think he could be one of the best to come out of their for decades.

As people have said, this is pure Mourinho wind-up. You have to give the guy some credit: he's brilliant at manipulating the media into pressurising (or appearing to pressurise) his opponents, getting the critics to take their eyes off his team's vile brand of football, and appearing to oppose the influence of money in the modern game (while spending Russian Gazprom millions). He's an utter tool, but he's good at what he does.

http://www.tsmplug.com/richlist/chelsea-playerss-salaries-2014/

Not sure how accurate this is. If the £120k or whatever Shaw is on is also true, then you would have some fairly ****ed off guys on a lot less than that.

I was ready to berate Jose for blowing smoke, but if he really was asking for over £100k pw, maybe Jose is right after all.

Though Jose is the master of bull**** I think he is telling the truth (as he sees it) looking at Angelman's list Shaw's new wage deal would have had him earning a lot more than several senior pros at Chelsea which might have caused some s hit in the changing room. It does IMO highlight again why we will never keep our best players if one of the big boys comes a calling we can't match their wage offers and FFP has pretty much made sure we never will be able to now.

It's nonsense anyway. Saints forum expertise has told us that Luke Shaw left Saints only because he didn't believe in the vision and ambition of the club anymore. If he did still believe in the vision and ambition of the club then he'd still be a super Saint now and the idea of earning 120k a week at the world's biggest football club would not have made him even flinch.

I saw Mou's latest left back signing in a friendly the other day and if I was Mou well I'd be preparing my excuses for the occasion when it becomes evident that I'd signed a pile of crap as well. Still I presume Azpilicueta will still be first choice at LB again anyway. Talking of Chelsea LBs what's happening with Bertrand these days ?

• 7 months later...

Just reading an opinion piece on Man Utd's flops this season - Luke Shaw appears on it but the article notes that he is being paid £120k a week!

http://www.football365.com/f365-features/9752930/F365-Feature

Luke Shaw

Any professional bromance between Luke Shaw and his manager started in difficult fashion when Van Gaal accused his new left-back of carrying a little bit of timber. "I am always a trainer-coach who sees individuals and what they need. He needs to be fit and is not very fit and fit enough to do what I want. He needs to train individually until he is fit." Oooh, you *****.

Shaw is still 19, so demands for patience are unsurprising. Yet I just can't shake the feeling that, like Herrera, this was a purchase made by club rather than manager. The suspicion is that Van Gaal prefers Marcos Rojo, who may become the long-term answer at left-back after a summer spent ridding the club of shonky British central defenders.

It's also worth remembering that Shaw is being paid £120,000 per week for his troubles, with Jose Mourinho remarking that his wage demands would have "killed" Chelsea. Shaw's family are Chelsea supporters, and had been backed for a move to Stamford Bridge.

"If we pay to a 19-year-old boy what we were being asked for, to sign Luke Shaw, we are dead," he said. "We would have killed our stability with financial fair play and killed the stability in our dressing room. Because when you pay that much to a 19-year-old kid - a good player, fantastic player - but when you pay that amount of money, the next day, we would have had players knocking on our door. They would have been saying, 'How is it possible I play 200 games for this club, won this and that, yet a 19-year-old comes here and gets more money than I get?'"

If this season was an opportunity to bed in, next season Shaw needs to establish himself in Van Gaal's first team.

:uhoh:

With those earnings I don't think Luke would think he had flopped.

Depends on what you want out of life. For some (sad) people, yes, personal financial gain is the be and end all - you've only got to look at some of the absurd discourse in British politics to see that. However, the England team has been ruined for a generation by young players just grabbing cash and a 20 minute cameo in the CL - Rodwell, Sinclair etc. Way too soon to put Shaw in that category and I still back him to come good. Also, we got the best possible price for him. However, if he'd gone there age 21/22 with 150+ PL appearances for Saints and a dozen full England caps, he wouldn't be second fiddle to Rojo, which I think he may be over the next 18 months if LVG stays at MUFC.

Would any of us rejoice if Luke Shaw fails at Man U? I don't think we should really. The biggest loser will be Luke himself who failed to realise that he was part of a highly successful system and that he should have thought about more than money when he moved on, like, is this team playing in a way that suits what I know and can do and have learned so far? Problem with money is that perhaps last year's man U were the only club prepared to pay him what he wanted. What happens then if Man U off-load him in the summer, who would take him at his price? He could even end up going out on loan.

He may not be the only one who left hastily for money only to maybe regret it later. Clyne is a good fit in our system but would he really be any better than average elsewhere especially at OT where there is as far as one can tell no discernible style of play other than to lump it up to Fellani? Of course the irony of Clyne's situation is that we let Chabers go in the belief that we were lucky enough to have an even better prospect on-board only to lose both of them in the end. Maybe Mason will be the answer?

Actually it was 10 man PSG who killed them. And after extra time :thumbup:.

If we can get a few corners, and if Ramires plays (who was complete shit today), we may have a chance to sneak something.

Great plan, we sure do know how to score from corners!