Saints vs WBA Build Up Thread

nta786

Hi.. Ah, probably because I am not a full member. I don't pay the £5 for unlimited posts. Maybe that's why.. Can't seem to find a setting that enables it.. Any ideas..

Nope you can't get pms without being a full member. If you have a mobile or contact email I could contact you on?

We were crying out for some width on the right vs Liverpool.

Love S.Davis but would bring someone in for him.

I agree about the width and it was interesting that Koeman chose to play Tadic on the left when he had (or so I read) played on the right during pre-season and had established a good understanding with Clyne. Obviously our goal came from a link up between the two players.

I agree about the width and it was interesting that Koeman chose to play Tadic on the left when he had (or so I read) played on the right during pre-season and had established a good understanding with Clyne. Obviously our goal came from a link up between the two players.
Yes, I found that surprising, the link-up between Clyne and Tadic was a definite positive from pre-season, so a bit surprised to see Tadic start on the left on Sunday - possibly a tactic to counter Liverpool. Will be interesting to see where Tadic starts against West Brom.

Yes, I found that surprising, the link-up between Clyne and Tadic was a definite positive from pre-season, so a bit surprised to see Tadic start on the left on Sunday - possibly a tactic to counter Liverpool. Will be interesting to see where Tadic starts against West Brom.

Could have been to double up on Sturridge who drifted out to the right touch line quite a bit. Saying that, Tadic is naturally a left winger, even if he can play on both sides.

Could have been to double up on Sturridge who drifted out to the right touch line quite a bit. Saying that, Tadic is naturally a left winger, even if he can play on both sides.
I never saw him play in Holland, so if he is naturally a left wnger, I'm happy to go with that now, but he doesn't seem the type to be great at going on the outside of a full back or particularly brilliant at crossing, looks more suited to me at driftng in with a full back over-lapping outside him. Early days still, will be interesting to see.

Mine came about 2 days after I bought them and I bought mine same day as you

Thanks for letting me know. Normally get them delivered to my London address - still nothing. Phone up yesterday, no apology, they just said they will re-print them on the day

It's nice to come into the first game of the season not knowing who we're going to pick for reasons of squad depth (admittedly this doesn't apply to the defence, but...).

I'm surprised to see people thought Davis played poorly, I thought he was his usual hard-working driven self closing down, breaking play and shifting the ball well - think he might be a victim of "High Profile Incident Syndrome" where he's getting pelters because he missed a sitter, rather than what he did for the other 81 and a half minutes. I certainly didn't think he was obviously better or worse than Ward-Prowse or Schneiderlin for instance.

It's difficult to know if West Brom will come to attack or park the bus, so as we're at home and we've tried it before, I'd be inclined more towards 1 fixed central DM holding (front sweeper ;)) rather than the 2 we used against Liverpool, so I'd take Wanyama out despite his performance at Anfield, because we'd expect to have a lot more of the ball and passing isn't his forte.

So ahead of Forster; Clyne, Fonte, Yoshida, Bertrand I'd have Schneiderlin, with JWP and Davis in the middle with him, Long on the right (playing against his old club), Tadic on the left and Pelle up top.

Davis' role for Saints has been underrated for too long, he's been instrumental in both intercepting and retaining the ball, and he's rapid on transitions as well as being able to shoot.

Even the bench is a tricky one: Boruc* (Davis if necessary), Hooiveld, Taider, Wanyama, Cork, Isgrove, Gallagher.

It's not our best remaining 7 but covers all positions (assuming no Gardos or Gaston). You could easily make a case to put Stephens in there instead of one of the THREE defensive midfielders for a RB that doesn't necessitate putting Hooiveld on the pitch, and it does show why there have been rumours about Cork going - we're stuffed with players in there and short elsewhere. Makes it clear why Taider wasn't involved at Anfield too. I'd assume Isgrove and Gallagher in case we need attacking options, as without them we don't have any who aren't already on the pitch.

Had we not looked like we were building the attack around Pelle, you could easily make a case with the strength of our squad for us playing 4-6-0 and in that arrangement Long and Davis would probably be the furthest forward attackers most often. Would be an interesting watch if West Brom set up to counter.

Edited by The9

It's nice to come into the first game of the season not knowing who we're going to pick for reasons of squad depth (admittedly this doesn't apply to the defence, but...).

I'm surprised to see people thought Davis played poorly, I thought he was his usual hard-working driven self closing down, breaking play and shifting the ball well - think he might be a victim of "High Profile Incident Syndrome" where he's getting pelters because he missed a sitter, rather than what he did for the other 81 and a half minutes. I certainly didn't think he was obviously better or worse than Ward-Prowse or Schneiderlin for instance.

It's difficult to know if West Brom will come to attack or park the bus, so as we're at home and we've tried it before, I'd be inclined more towards 1 fixed central DM holding (front sweeper ;)) rather than the 2 we used against Liverpool, so I'd take Wanyama out despite his performance at Anfield, because we'd expect to have a lot more of the ball and passing isn't his forte.

So ahead of Forster; Clyne, Fonte, Yoshida, Bertrand I'd have Schneiderlin, with JWP and Davis in the middle with him, Long on the right (playing against his old club), Tadic on the left and Pelle up top.

Davis' role for Saints has been underrated for too long, he's been instrumental in both intercepting and retaining the ball, and he's rapid on transitions as well as being able to shoot.

Even the bench is a tricky one: Boruc* (Davis if necessary), Hooiveld, Taider, Wanyama, Cork, Isgrove, Gallagher.

It's not our best remaining 7 but covers all positions (assuming no Gardos or Gaston). You could easily make a case to put Stephens in there instead of one of the THREE defensive midfielders for a RB that doesn't necessitate putting Hooiveld on the pitch, and it does show why there have been rumours about Cork going - we're stuffed with players in there and short elsewhere. Makes it clear why Taider wasn't involved at Anfield too. I'd assume Isgrove and Gallagher in case we need attacking options, as without them we don't have any who aren't already on the pitch.

Had we not looked like we were building the attack around Pelle, you could easily make a case with the strength of our squad for us playing 4-6-0 and in that arrangement Long and Davis would probably be the furthest forward attackers most often. Would be an interesting watch if West Brom set up to counter.

I completely agree with your assessment of Davis and what he brings to the team and there is some logic regarding your need for Wanyama in uch a game against West Brom, however I think he still plays an important role allowing our full-backs to bomb forward and there is no way he will be dropped after his performance at Anfield. You can see with the addition of a CB (Gardos) and a "winger" into the squad, we're quite well set, apart from a question mark over goalkeeper back up.

I completely agree with your assessment of Davis and what he brings to the team and there is some logic regarding your need for Wanyama in uch a game against West Brom, however I think he still plays an important role allowing our full-backs to bomb forward and there is no way he will be dropped after his performance at Anfield. You can see with the addition of a CB (Gardos) and a "winger" into the squad, we're quite well set, apart from a question mark over goalkeeper back up.

Fair enough, like I said, it's nice to be able to choose (and I can't see Wanyama getting dropped either FWIW) - if we'd seen more of Taider he might have been in the equation somewhere too. Looked Davis-like with his buzzing about and sharp passing, but that's the least I'd expect from someone on a 20 minute debut in his position and who knows what his match fitness is like?

I don't know if it's a new thing this season, or just because we didn't used to broadcast the press conference so there was never a "broadcast live" but, but we seem to have an "embargoed" press conference as well now (which may have been the whole thing previously), so the stuff happening that we actually see is being controlled much more to allow the "real press" to break stories - which I guess was always the point of a press conference...

basically.

JWP isa great talent but a young one

Tadic played well last week and did morgan and very happy to have morgan in the team

Tadic and Pelle need to get used to the prem. it is not the dutch league and it is quick for the whole 90 mins

there will be lots of rumours in the next week with not a lot of news

anything is possible (when asked about townsend)

I don't know if it's a new thing this season, or just because we didn't used to broadcast the press conference so there was never a "broadcast live" but, but we seem to have an "embargoed" press conference as well now (which may have been the whole thing previously), so the stuff happening that we actually see is being controlled much more to allow the "real press" to break stories - which I guess was always the point of a press conference...
They did that last season as well, so assume it happens all the time.

They did that last season as well, so assume it happens all the time.

So is it "the Press Conference has always been private so now we've worked out what we need to provide we'll allow some easy questions for a Saints in-house OS-friendly YouTube bit", or is it "we had an open-access presser before and now we're locking it down because the Premier League is insisting on exclusivity for some sources"?

At the end of the "broadcast section" they move on to "written press", you can hear Jordan Sibley saying that before they turn the cameras off. The bit we see is the bit they'll broadcast on the TV so that written press can ask different questions and get different stories than what we'll see on SSN/OS.

At the end of the "broadcast section" they move on to "written press", you can hear Jordan Sibley saying that before they turn the cameras off. The bit we see is the bit they'll broadcast on the TV so that written press can ask different questions and get different stories than what we'll see on SSN/OS.

Yep, same as previous seasons. I'm just mildly curious why the "broadcast section" has significantly fewer questions asked in it this season compared to previous seasons.

Yep, same as previous seasons. I'm just mildly curious why the "broadcast section" has significantly fewer questions asked in it this season compared to previous seasons.

Think it just feels shorter because you haven't got to wait for every question and answer to be translated to Spanish / English!

RK Saintsplayer interview. Bullet points

Good weeks training

players pleased with performance at anfield

if we lose, we lost with a good performance and showed the supporters what we are about

we showed our qualities at anfield and it has to continue at home in the next game

if we keep that performance up, we have a very good chance of winning

we know we are better than what many think.

WBA will be harder than last week, they will be organised

they will have seen us so we are less of a surprise, we have to create more

have watched their game against sunderland. They were unlucky not to win

they are strong, they are organised, they are physical

it will be a tough game on saturday

am looking forward to first league game at home

we need to win as we need the points as we have already lost 3

gaston is out for 1 more week

gordos is training well, will decide if he is fit enough for bench

Parallel with 2012/13

Opening game against big team, not given much of a chance by most, play well and get plaudits but ultimately lose.

Everyone confident following home game against one of relegation favourites only to be done 2-0.

Man City - Liverpool away

Wigan - WBA home

Parallel with 2012/13

Opening game against big team, not given much of a chance by most, play well and get plaudits but ultimately lose.

Everyone confident following home game against one of relegation favourites only to be done 2-0.

Man City - Liverpool away

Wigan - WBA home

Against Liverpool we matched their total shots and had more on target. We also had more corners then the Scousers although they did shade possession. We deserved at least a point.

In the Man City game they were all over us, 64/36 possession, 15 shots on target compared to 6, 20 total shots compared to 9. Our two goals were against the run of play.

Two very different games. I am going for a win v West Brom.

RK Saintsplayer interview. Bullet points

Good weeks training

players pleased with performance at anfield

if we lose, we lost with a good performance and showed the supporters what we are about

we showed our qualities at anfield and it has to continue at home in the next game

if we keep that performance up, we have a very good chance of winning

we know we are better than what many think.

WBA will be harder than last week, they will be organised

they will have seen us so we are less of a surprise, we have to create more

have watched their game against sunderland. They were unlucky not to win

they are strong, they are organised, they are physical

it will be a tough game on saturday

am looking forward to first league game at home

we need to win as we need the points as we have already lost 3

gaston is out for 1 more week

gordos is training well, will decide if he is fit enough for bench

Cheers man.