The Scottish Independence referendum

pap

Fair play to Batman for sticking his neck out, but that sounds like a list of what he wants for Christmas, rather than any serious (and sourced) political viewpoint.

Where as you, my fine Scousehampton friend, come across like a condescending arse.

As if anyone in their right mind would want Gordon Brown back in any form of public office...

I subscribe to the opinion that the UK has changed forever as a result of this event, irrespective of whether Thursday yields a "YES" or a "NO". For one thing, if there is a "NO", once the details of the kowtowing bribe come out, the English will despise the Scots more than they do now. A lot more.

Good luck to the Scots on Thursday, I hope they show the courage not to be bullied by the establishment & state institutions, and make their own decision based on what they believe is best for them, their families and their common man.

Everyone seems to be banging on about UK wealth, prosperity et al, conveniently forgetting the 1,000,000 people reliant on food banks (in supposedly one of the richest countries on earth).

We tell them they will not be able to run their own 'welfare state', whilst we forget the 1,000,000 odd youngsters out of all education, training or gainful employment.

The 'one percent' of our nation have more wealth than the rest of the country combined, whilst we all sit back and watch the ideological privatisation of our countries resources, ironically being sold off to the one percent.

Our police see fit to produce a European arrest warrant, to throw the parents in jail, of a boy who is being denied potentially lifesaving cancer therapy. The same police 'force' who let a boy drown to death in a lake as the police in attendance stood by and waited 15 minutes for healthy and safety clearance.

Our communities are being disenfranchised in the name of jihad, whilst we all sit back and watch our rights and freedoms slowly dissolve under the guise of national security.

Good luck to Scotland!

What a load of sanctimonious guff that has little or nothing to do with the referendum!

Good luck to the Scots on Thursday, I hope they show the courage not to be bullied by the establishment & state institutions, and make their own decision based on what they believe is best for them, their families and their common man.

Everyone seems to be banging on about UK wealth, prosperity et al, conveniently forgetting the 1,000,000 people reliant on food banks (in supposedly one of the richest countries on earth).

We tell them they will not be able to run their own 'welfare state', whilst we forget the 1,000,000 odd youngsters out of all education, training or gainful employment.

The 'one percent' of our nation have more wealth than the rest of the country combined, whilst we all sit back and watch the ideological privatisation of our countries resources, ironically being sold off to the one percent.

Our police see fit to produce a European arrest warrant, to throw the parents in jail, of a boy who is being denied potentially lifesaving cancer therapy. The same police 'force' who let a boy drown to death in a lake as the police in attendance stood by and waited 15 minutes for healthy and safety clearance.

Our communities are being disenfranchised in the name of jihad, whilst we all sit back and watch our rights and freedoms slowly dissolve under the guise of national security.

Good luck to Scotland!

It was a government run by Scots that has driven Britain into this state.

Oh, food banks. If you give away free food then don't be surprised if people queue up to get it. They are not 'reliant'.

Oh, food banks. If you give away free food then don't be surprised if people queue up to get it, especially in Scotland. They are not 'reliant', but they are extremely frugal.

Agrees/w whitey.

Oh, food banks. If you give away free food then don't be surprised if people queue up to get it. They are not 'reliant'.

Is your medication fuucking with your brain?

I saw a foodbank in action for the 1st time last summer in Smethwick and to even suggest that these people weren't down to the bones of their arse shows you are utterly clueless.

I saw need, want and shame in equal measures as they queued for bread, beans and the like, mostly own label basic stuff that the majority of us wouldn't feed to the dog.

Yes some ****ts will get something for nothing but those I saw were certainly reliant. I felt ashamed that it was happening in my country and now regularly donate food to one in Stoke.

FROM THE HEART OF MONTPELLIER TODAY

As promised, Remi Guillard is beginning his # dickchallenge: "Get out your D*cks as a poem ... For a free Scotland.

"I nominate Prince Charles, William and Harry, all my subscribers Youtube, Facebook and Twitter. All together now and let's stuff their a*rses!"

Where as you, my fine Scousehampton friend, come across like a condescending arse.

As if anyone in their right mind would want Gordon Brown back in any form of public office...

I subscribe to the opinion that the UK has changed forever as a result of this event, irrespective of whether Thursday yields a "YES" or a "NO". For one thing, if there is a "NO", once the details of the kowtowing bribe come out, the English will despise the Scots more than they do now. A lot more.

That's fine. I am one.

Doesn't change anything I've said.

I saw a foodbank in action for the 1st time last summer in Smethwick and to even suggest that these people weren't down to the bones of their arse shows you are utterly clueless.

I saw need, want and shame in equal measures as they queued for bread, beans and the like, mostly own label basic stuff that the majority of us wouldn't feed to the dog.

Yes some ****ts will get something for nothing but those I saw were certainly reliant. I felt ashamed that it was happening in my country and now regularly donate food to one in Stoke.

Poverty doesn't exist in this country. Go to Kenya and see it for yourself.

Well, if they were smartly dressed they wouldn't qualify, would they? ;)

Spoken like a true ****ing Tory..

Scotland might be the place to move to if they are successful in securing their own left-wing utopia!

Somewhat more seriously, check these f**king morons. "Fed up with subsidising them!", they say - forgetting that Scotland aren't actually subsidised and that English and Welsh citizens are being royally f**ked over on what used to be basic entitlements, or at the very least, long term investment in the country.

Turkeys that can't even be arsed waiting for Christmas to get roasted.

Welcome to corporatist Britain. Reactionary Tories are its cheerleaders.

Scotland might be the place to move to if they are successful in securing their own left-wing utopia!

Somewhat more seriously, check these f**king morons. "Fed up with subsidising them!", they say - forgetting that Scotland aren't actually subsidised and that English and Welsh citizens are being royally f**ked over on what used to be basic entitlements, or at the very least, long term investment in the country.

will you be moving up there if they vote yes...in say, the next few year?

(serious question)

..... I subscribe to the opinion that the UK has changed forever as a result of this event, irrespective of whether Thursday yields a "YES" or a "NO".

I kind of agree with this - even should the 'No' side win on Thursday in the wake of all this damaging division it remains to be seen whether the UK can ever be made quite the same relatively harmonious nation it was again. Should the 'Yes' camp win then the UK (as we know it) is dead. But with Scots opinion split right down the middle whoever wins the result will I think leave of residue of bitterness behind it that will likely lead to calls for yet another referendum to be held before very long - indeed I suspect the separatists will agitate for more vote's until they eventually get the result they are looking for.

It would probably have been better if this damn referendum had never been held in the first place - perhaps had Westminster offered the degree of enhanced devolution to Scotland that is now on the table we could have avoided this mess. Better still a root and branch reform of the constitution - with a separate national parliament for England being established to work alongside and with the existing Scottish, Welsh, and Northern Ireland versions under some kind of 'Federal' Westminster administration might have produced a satisfactory answer to the notorious 'West Lothian' question at long last - at a cost of even more bureaucracy and administrative expense course.

However as far as I can see there was/is little apatite for that in England, but that is a 'bullet' we are probable going to have to 'bite' one day if we want to create a truly stable and harmonious union again on these islands of ours.

How do you work that out?

I kind of agree with this - even should the 'No' side win on Thursday in the wake of all this damaging division it remains to be seen whether the UK can ever be made quite the same relatively harmonious nation it was again. Should the 'Yes' camp win then the UK (as we know it) is dead. But with Scots opinion split right down the middle whoever wins the result will I think leave of residue of bitterness behind it that will likely lead to calls for yet another referendum to be held before very long - indeed I suspect the separatists will agitate for more vote's until they eventually get the result they are looking for.

It would probably have been better if this damn referendum had never been held in the first place - perhaps had Westminster offered the degree of enhanced devolution to Scotland that is now on the table we could have avoided this mess. Better still a root and branch reform of the constitution - with a separate national parliament for England being established to work alongside and with the existing Scottish, Welsh, and Northern Ireland versions under some kind of 'Federal' Westminster administration might have produced a satisfactory answer to the notorious 'West Lothian' question at long last - at a cost of even more bureaucracy and administrative expense course.

However as far as I can see there was/is little apatite for that in England, but that is a 'bullet' we are probable going to have to 'bite' one day if we want to create a truly stable and harmonious union again on these islands of ours.

I think there is still a chance of a 'firm' no and this could resolve the issue for a generation. A close vote will see a slow decline for Scotland, as business pulls out gradually in anticipation of another vote in a decade.

Yup, the People's Scotland they could make it like Venezuela or Belarus or North Korea. They can look to Hollandes France and see what happens when you run out of people to tax. Bashing business and the wealth creators always wins vote but sadly does not pay the bills.

will you be moving up there if they vote yes...in say, the next few year?

(serious question)

I've no plans to, but I wouldn't rule it out at this stage. Why would I? Little is known about what an independent Scotland might be, what sort of incentives they'd have on offer. Too late for me and my family, but if you're middle-class and have a litter of smart little sprogs, moving to a stable Scotland would effectively give the lot of them a financial head start.

Wait and see is a perfectly fine option, I reckon.

Yup, the People's Scotland they could make it like Venezuela or Belarus or North Korea. They can look to Hollandes France and see what happens when you run out of people to tax. Bashing business and the wealth creators always wins vote but sadly does not pay the bills.

That menu you're ordering off not looking a little stale, Sergei Gotsmanov?

Not tired of only ever eating corporate-sponsored neo-liberal slop for dinner and debt for dessert?

You're a stoic fellow with a cast-iron stomach, I'll give you that.

I've no plans to, but I wouldn't rule it out at this stage. Why would I? Little is known about what an independent Scotland might be, what sort of incentives they'd have on offer. Too late for me and my family, but if you're middle-class and have a litter of smart little sprogs, moving to a stable Scotland would effectively give the lot of them a financial head start.

Wait and see is a perfectly fine option, I reckon.

Lets see how many middle class English families move up to Scotland! Traffic will all be going the other way.

Scotland are heavily in deficit - around £12bn on expenditure of £64 in 2012/13. http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Publications/2014/03/7888

A situation they can do a lot more about after independence. Better share of oil dosh, ability to raise revenue in any way they see fit.

Whatever deficit probs Scotland have now may seem trivial compared to what rUK's might be.

http://www.wealthynation.org/the-power-of-scotland/

A situation they can do a lot more about after independence. Better share of oil dosh, ability to raise revenue in any way they see fit.

Whatever deficit probs Scotland have now may seem trivial compared to what rUK's might be.

http://www.wealthynation.org/the-power-of-scotland/

You either haven't read or haven't understood the document. Even including North sea oil and gas revenue Scotland is heavily in deficit, more so than the rest of the UK. Oil and gas income is projected to continue to decline.

Oil-revenues-table-1.png

table_110314.jpg

Edited by buctootim

Interesting to see that tonight's 'Scotland Decides' debate on the BBC is between Alex Salmond and Gordon Brown - not Alistair Darling you will note. As I asked for Gordon Brown to (de facto) take over the 'Better Together' leadership I wholeheartedly approve of course, but this is a sure sign of just how important it is that Labour voters are won round to the cause of the union in these last few days of the campaign.

Indeed it may not be too strong to say that the future of the union may depend upon this.

That menu you're ordering off not looking a little stale, Sergei Gotsmanov?

Not tired of only ever eating corporate-sponsored neo-liberal slop for dinner and debt for dessert?

You're a stoic fellow with a cast-iron stomach, I'll give you that.

Unfortunately that is realism. You only raise living standards by creating wealth and you have to incentivise people to come and create wealth. Unfortunately the side effect of such a society is you have some very rich people at the top.

You either haven't read or haven't understood the document. Even including North sea oil and gas revenue Scotland is heavily in deficit, more so than the rest of the UK. Oil and gas income is projected to continue to decline.

Oil-revenues-table-1.png

table_110314.jpg

Yeah yeah, narrow the argument to oil dosh after I'd already incorporated revenue raising powers into my position. Nowt to stop Scotland from doing a Colorado after independence, there's a huge cost off your copper budget and a new source of revenue right there. Taxation and tourism :)

I'm sure the OBR is utterly apolitical too.

Both problems with the "no" lot. Eat up any shít that's thrown into the box they're thinking in.

Independence offers leeway that some just can't conjure, it would seem.

I'd love to see how the sweatys are going to fund paps utopia , when they'll be pay Greek levels of debt interest . Anyone who thinks an independent Scotland will be borrowing at currant uk interest rates is deluded

Those chains of debt chafing at all? :)

This irrational belief is what replaced religion, people.

I wonder what would have been made if the vandalism and harassment was done by the pro-union side......?

a great deal more I suspect. Definitely from the likes of pap ;)

You reckon that British Asian nipper was comfy when accosted by those Rangers fans? Especially when they told him to move to Wales because England has too many immigrants?

You reckon that British Asian nipper was comfy when accosted by those Rangers fans? Especially when they told him to move to Wales because England has too many immigrants?

everyone who is up there, locals, reporters etc are all reporting that although ugly scenes are seen from both sides. it is overwhelmingly from the yessers on a far bigger scale

I know you dont like that but it seems to be the case

everyone who is up there, locals, reporters etc are all reporting that although ugly scenes are seen from both sides. it is overwhelmingly from the yessers on a far bigger scale

I know you dont like that but it seems to be the case

And for the sake of argument, how do you know these are genuine yes men and not agent provocateurs?

Please don't spout your conspiracy stuff all over another thread again please.

It's a perfectly legitimate question. The UK has got a long history of infiltrating political movements, including recent ones.

Do you seriously reckon we'd target the likes Camp for Climate and leave the Yes Campaign, the thing that breaks up the Union alone?

I think you need more chats with your Arab relatives :)

It's a perfectly legitimate question. The UK has got a long history of infiltrating political movements, including recent ones.

Do you seriously reckon we'd target the likes Camp for Climate and leave the Yes Campaign, the thing that breaks up the Union alone?

I think you need more chats with your Arab relatives :)

Which part of the UK would that be, those in the north perhaps?