Arsenal 1 Saints 0 reaction

Mr X

Looks like a few have said it; I know FF got MOTM but Alderweireld was comfortably the best player on the pitch last night. For either side. He was head and shoulders above the rest of the outfield players.

Not Saints related, but Aaron Ramsay was atrocious.

Looks like a few have said it; I know FF got MOTM but Alderweireld was comfortably the best player on the pitch last night. For either side. He was head and shoulders above the rest of the outfield players.

Not Saints related, but Aaron Ramsay was atrocious.

Tom that's how I saw it.

I'm just so disappointed with the injury situation.

You obviously weren't at the game. If you were, you'd have seen that Long was absolutely shattered. He never stopped running and by the end his legs had gone.

No I wasn't at the game, butjust before he was subbed he made a telling run and attack. Didn't look too bad as he walked of the pitch

The team played their hearts out but after down to 10 men the goal was inevitable. The stats revealed all and therefore a draw was all we could have hoped for.

The injury toll shows the lack of depth in our squad but we can never compete on this basis with the so called "big 5". Well done lads you did us proud.

Strange game, quite scrappy with neither side able to keep the ball for a lot of the game. Wanyama started well and as previously mentioned Alderweireld probably had his best game as did Forster. Think Pelle missed a couple of very good chances and this ultimately cost us a very tight game. The lack of depth in the squad is crystal clear, so confident that we will make some signings in January. If we do not we will do well to keep in top 8. Yoshida does worry me. He seems to have that mistake in him when under pressure and nearly cost us a goal late on. Mane continues to be frustrating and seems to have gone backwards. Unfortunately only way I could get tickets was in the North stand so that was odd. Bit of a dull lot and their favourite song was arsenal arsenal arsenal, no humour either, grim. Some guy wanted to talk at half time asking us what "we should do different" I was tempted to say let some goals in would be good, but could tell that would not have gone down well.. They seemed to be impressed with Wanyama and thought they should take him in January and heard guy commenting that we were being found out now they were playing the good teams. I thought at times Arsenal were poor but you could see in the last 15 minutes it would only be them that could score. Gutting to concede so late and worried about Monday with all our injuries.

Did anyone notice Clyne trying to deal with 3 Arsenal players lining up for the cross that Sanchez scored, yet Wanyama 'walking' back by the penalty spot !? A little more urgency might have helped with Toby & Cork off & 2 mins to go.

Wanyama was shattered. You are a sad man .

Strange game, quite scrappy with neither side able to keep the ball for a lot of the game. Wanyama started well and as previously mentioned Alderweireld probably had his best game as did Forster. Think Pelle missed a couple of very good chances and this ultimately cost us a very tight game. The lack of depth in the squad is crystal clear, so confident that we will make some signings in January. If we do not we will do well to keep in top 8. Yoshida does worry me. He seems to have that mistake in him when under pressure and nearly cost us a goal late on. Mane continues to be frustrating and seems to have gone backwards. Unfortunately only way I could get tickets was in the North stand so that was odd. Bit of a dull lot and their favourite song was arsenal arsenal arsenal, no humour either, grim. Some guy wanted to talk at half time asking us what "we should do different" I was tempted to say let some goals in would be good, but could tell that would not have gone down well.. They seemed to be impressed with Wanyama and thought they should take him in January and heard guy commenting that we were being found out now they were playing the good teams. I thought at times Arsenal were poor but you could see in the last 15 minutes it would only be them that could score. Gutting to concede so late and worried about Monday with all our injuries.

yeah I agree about January. If I'm honest I think this season has already been a success and if we did manage to match last seasons 8th than that would be great. I just find it encouraging that we've actually been able to attract talent (and international talent, at that) like alderweireld, tadic and pelle to our squad this season - shows that things can only be on the up as far as club recognition and future signings goes.

Good performance and unlucky to lose with a late goal. However only one point and more worrying one goal in our last three games. One shot on target last night is just not good enough and now we are conceding a goal every game, getting a bit worried. But hey, still 3rd in the table.

Fwiw I thought Long was outstanding last night. Never stopped running and looked exhausted when he came off. He's got to play against the big teams just for his work ethic.

This. Put in a huge amount of work both up front and defensively. Blazed over a good opportunity instead of finding Pelle but otherwise was one our better players last night

Edited by Bucks Saint

Mahuka is crap, but hardly like Ron had a stack of options. He had to take Long off and Mayuka is all there is so can't see why anyone would say it was a poor sub. It was the only real sub.

Targett. Far better player, played here in the cup against Sanchez, Carzola etc. Would not have weakened us, could have pushed Ryan forward.

Quick question? How come 'once we were down to ten men' they were bound to score when on Sunday at one time we were playing against ten men and they scored twice? Bit of a contradiction eh? We lost because we couldn't score and we had the chances but only one shot on goal.We got kicked off the park and for most of the game the Arse had twelve men.

Forgive me, I can't be bothered to go through several pages of posts but the match stats give cause for concern; just 6 attempts and only 1 on target for the whole game. The final third of the field appears to be our perennial problem.

The last 10 minutes was like the Alamo but we deserved to hold on.

Disappointed that we didn't test their keeper and our crossing is still feeble.

Yoshi is receiving undeserved criticism on here, he did ok.

Bertrand impresses with every game - Mr Consistency at the moment.

Great support again although I was unlucky to be standing next to a self-appointed cheerleader

who seemed more interested in starting the 'songs' than watching the game.

Great support again although I was unlucky to be standing next to a self-appointed cheerleader

Our crossing at the moment is the one thing that irks me, I must say. The full backs - Clyne and Bertrand can ping some great balls in there, but they're not always available in attack....so you're looking for players like Tadic to be able to pick one out, but over the last 4 games he hasn't been able to beat the first man once. He looks like he's running on empty, as his crosses just have no elevation or 'energy' behind them.

I love Tadic, I think he's class...but if you look at his performance in the league cup, and then against Arsenal last night, there was such a stark difference. He's dipped alarmingly.

:lol: Someone starting songs at a football match? You must have had a horrible time. Someone has to do it, because our away support has got progressively worse since we've been back in the Prem. A few half arsed attempts at OWTS and that was it last night. Awful.

Really thought we would get something from the last two games but that is football and we were always going to be hit with injuries/suspensions at some point. Just a shame that so many have come at once. Still, everything is relative. If we had lost to Man City and Arsenal right after Liverpool we would be over the moon right now. Just hope that the injuries are not too serious. Great season so far but it will be interesting to see how RK handles things if the midfield remains so depleted.

:lol: Someone starting songs at a football match? You must have had a horrible time. Someone has to do it, because our away support has got progressively worse since we've been back in the Prem. A few half arsed attempts at OWTS and that was it last night. Awful.

was one of the worst away support's from us i've seen in a long time, but Arsenal away always seems to bring out the quieter element of our support for some reason. We'll be much better at Sheffield United as it's further north, midweek and a bit grimier.

was one of the worst away support's from us i've seen in a long time, but Arsenal away always seems to bring out the quieter element of our support for some reason. We'll be much better at Sheffield United as it's further north, midweek and a bit grimier.
Agreed, I thought last night was very quiet, disappointingly so.

Sheff Utd will definitely be better.

This. I was next to a "cheerleader" too and, as did about 20 or 30 around me, joined in very happily. It was noticeable how the masses were silent for most of the time and only joined in on a few occasions. Amazing why so many are happy in silence.

Why do you consider it unlucky to be stood next to someone starting songs. That's a good thing. Pity a few more didn't follow suit.

We were left very exposed after Alderweireld went off because Mane and Mayuka just didn't defend and stayed loose allowing Arsenal to outnumber our back line and play through the midfield. It's all very well leaving Pelle up on his own but in the circumstances we might have been better to drop him in with Wanyama and Davis and leave Mayuka up front and Mane tucked in to compact two banks of four. Like I said before Targett would have been a better substitution than Mayuka who doesn't even look worth a place on the bench.

Post-match report after being at the game:

Really gutting to lose that point, definitely didn't think they were better. Unfortunate with injuries that game massively. Everyone put in a good shift. Pelle just lacking in confidence at the moment. Long actually put in a great performance defensively this game which was impressive, Mane too, did some good cover work. You can see how the whole team is defending. If we hadn't lost Toby we wouldn't have conceded for sure. Good defensive performance, and big Fraser was immense. Good reaction from the away fans too, we were singing in response to the conceded goal.

I think this was an excellent reaction to the City loss, shame about the points, but geared up for Utd now, bring it on!

We were left very exposed after Alderweireld went off because Mane and Mayuka just didn't defend and stayed loose allowing Arsenal to outnumber our back line and play through the midfield. It's all very well leaving Pelle up on his own but in the circumstances we might have been better to drop him in with Wanyama and Davis and leave Mayuka up front and Mane tucked in to compact two banks of four. Like I said before Targett would have been a better substitution than Mayuka who doesn't even look worth a place on the bench.
Agree on part of this, I think bringing Mayuka on was the wrong call. Maybe we still wanted to stretch the game, but with Mane on the field, did we really need Mayuka on as well. Even someone like Reed or Gardos to be disciplined, get blocks and challenges in, try and retain possession a bit would have done better for us.

Pelle was frustrating; the ball kept me knocked up to him and it didn't stick enough, coming straight back towards our goal, allowing Arsenal to build more and more pressure; really useful if a forward can hold the ball up, win a cheap free kick etc, just to take some of the pressure of the defence.

It won't happen, but just how good do you think our team would be with Bony in it? Pelle's miss last night and his hesitation with Morgan's through ball vs Man City at 0-0 has been painful to watch. He does very little when the other team have the ball too - unlike Lambert who was always willing to press.

Not getting on the big guy's back, just wonder how you think we'd be doing with someone like Bony, who is finishing as well as anyone (bar Aguero) at the moment.

Why do you consider it unlucky to be stood next to someone starting songs. That's a good thing. Pity a few more didn't follow suit.

Knew I should have expanded before the predictable replies would roll in.

Am all for starting songs except this guy was all arms and elbows into his neighbours around him and almost fell into the seats in front in his enthusiasm.

But that's ok - he enjoyed himself.

Did anyone notice Clyne trying to deal with 3 Arsenal players lining up for the cross that Sanchez scored, yet Wanyama 'walking' back by the penalty spot !? A little more urgency might have helped with Toby & Cork off & 2 mins to go.

Wanyama was shattered. You are a sad man .

Not really an excuse though is it? I'm sure most of his team mates were feeling shattered to......

Edited by doddisalegend

Chamber's indeed a disgrace. Not happy with putting Luke Shaw out for a few weeks last week, he used the identical tackle on Alderweireld causing a similar injury. Been searching for a video of each but had no luck so far. He's not the nice guy he was a year ago.

Edited by ART

Forster/Toby/Vic/Long were immense last night.

If Morgan goes, I can see Vic/Toby being a good replacement partnership. I do wonder why Gardos hasn't had a crack of the whip yet over Yoshi ... Yoshi wasn't perfect but also not awful. Tadic and Pelle are letting the dip in form get to them at the moment - they are putting in the hard work, but don't have that "edge" which they did earlier in the season.

Mane was very disappointing for me. Has shown potential, but recently has been very poor and not the sort of player I've liked watching.

Tonights big mistake was with Ron though I'm afraid. He shouldn't have brought on Mayuka. For two reasons. One - it was our last sub. Yes, you will say "but he wasn't to know". That brings me on to my second reason. Two - Mayuka offers NOTHING extra at that stage in the game. Don't just bring on a pair of fresh legs if they are not the right legs for the game. It was a vital 10 minutes. We were on course for a very good draw and should have aimed to play the game out. I know Long was knackered, but I bet he could/would have played those last 10 minutes out for the team.

Having said that - it was a sterling effort and a huge improvement. I am worried about what the team may look like on Monday, but hey ho - it hasn't completely wrecked our season if we lose that as well. Burnley, Everton and Palace are the games we MUST try and get our best team back for in order to kick-start something. A win at Sheff United would help boost everyone as well.

Agree on part of this, I think bringing Mayuka on was the wrong call. Maybe we still wanted to stretch the game, but with Mane on the field, did we really need Mayuka on as well. Even someone like Reed or Gardos to be disciplined, get blocks and challenges in, try and retain possession a bit would have done better for us.

Pelle was frustrating; the ball kept me knocked up to him and it didn't stick enough, coming straight back towards our goal, allowing Arsenal to build more and more pressure; really useful if a forward can hold the ball up, win a cheap free kick etc, just to take some of the pressure of the defence.

i mentioned this after the game on sunday.

The ball just does not stick enough up there. He does with the flicks on a few times but they are flick ons to the opposition

the ball just does not stay up front enough

also, just like last year, a keeper howler (stoke, now villa) starts off the run of horrid results.....it literally is history repeating itself

i mentioned this after the game on sunday.

The ball just does not stick enough up there. He does with the flicks on a few times but they are flick ons to the opposition

the ball just does not stay up front enough

also, just like last year, a keeper howler (stoke, now villa) starts off the run of horrid results.....it literally is history repeating itself

That was the problem in the last 10 minutes. The ball kept coming straight back.

That's the impression i got watching it on TV. Very quiet .

After the game had finished last night, a 'Saints Fan' tried stealing another Saints Fan's Flag that he had tied to the railings near the corner flag.

The thief actually untied it and was nearly at the exit at the top of the stairs.

Did anyone else see this? The guy who owned the flag was absolutely gob smacked when I spoke to him.

Disappointed as I didn't think this sort of thing happened amongst our fans.

Chamber's indeed a disgrace. Not happy with putting Luke Shaw out for a few weeks last week, he used the identical tackle on Alderweireld causing a similar injury.

Been searching for a video of each but had no luck so far. He's not the nice guy he was a year ago.

AGREE with that comment ART. If he tries that sort of behaviour away from the Emirates, he'll be candidate for a red card, for sure.

This. I was next to a "cheerleader" too and, as did about 20 or 30 around me, joined in very happily. It was noticeable how the masses were silent for most of the time and only joined in on a few occasions. Amazing why so many are happy in silence.

Really? A bit further a long from you it was constant singing. Albeit the same song, round and round and round... My Liverpool supporting work mate, (who you met) ended up in the VIP Arsenal section was mighty impressed by our noise. He was also very impressed by Southampton play too.

Quick question? How come 'once we were down to ten men' they were bound to score when on Sunday at one time we were playing against ten men and they scored twice? Bit of a contradiction eh? We lost because we couldn't score and we had the chances but only one shot on goal.We got kicked off the park and for most of the game the Arse had twelve men.

Because citeh can afford to spend on a couple of players what we can afford on our entire first team. Then buy a second first team that would cost as much as our first team.

Really? A bit further a long from you it was constant singing. Albeit the same song, round and round and round... My Liverpool supporting work mate, (who you met) ended up in the VIP Arsenal section was mighty impressed by our noise. He was also very impressed by Southampton play too.

Fair play Lou. I was in the back row in the middle of our support so in theory well placed, but I appreciate that these things can be localised and hard to really judge. Have to take on board others views that our overall support was pretty quiet. Glad your mate was impressed!

Edited by Bucks Saint

Agree 100%,

Compare our support now to when we were in the lower leagues, numbers have risen but we have got progressively quieter, too many daytrippers.

I've just watched the MOTD highlights and what stands out to me is that if Pellè just lifts that chance over the keeper instead of lashing the ball over the bar then it would have changed the whole complexion of the evening. We're not off where we'd like to be.

Yeah, he snatched at it, which I guess is a consequence of going a few games without a goal, plus not getting many opportunities within each game. He also played a critical role in the beautiful buildup to that opportunity. He'll score soon.

Yeah, he snatched at it, which I guess is a consequence of going a few games without a goal, plus not getting many opportunities within each game. He also played a critical role in the beautiful buildup to that opportunity. He'll score soon.

Yeah but the ball was still quite high ,it was not easy to keep down.