Arsenal 1 Saints 0 reaction

Mr X

it seems that our weakness this season is the depth of our squad

The top teams know, knobble our better players, even if they don't win the game against us, it has far reaching effects, as it will cause use to drop loads of points in the following games as we have to field a weakened team, and as a result we will and drop down the league, and stop being a threat of being in the top 6 positions....

We have hit the glass ceiling hard this year...

Nothing to do with Saints supporters chanting "the referee is S H I T" from when Cork was brought down. This chanting really seemed to niggle him. You can't expect favours thereafter. They should have had a go singing OWTS instead.

Have you ever been to a football match Art? Genuine question.

Talk about seeing what you want to see. There was a mass of players in at the near post yet you single out Yoshida.

Yoshida actually won a great 50/50 with Giroud minutes earlier only for Marriner to give Arsenal the foul, notwithstanding the fact that that Giroud is among the best at cynically backing into players.

There is no evidence whatsoever that Gardos and Reed (ffs) would have done any better.

Afraid you're wrong, Giroud had been instructed to play on Yoshida's side. Its not the first time it has been preempted either by their pre-match prep.

As for your point around Gardos and Reed, there is no evidence, no. What I disagree with is changing two units to cater for one, not just the personnel selected.

I would play Omar Rowe or Simms over Mane. I was optimistic we had a real player on our hands from his first few games but pretty worried now. Our squad is depleted and its time to give some of the youth players a chance. Surely they cant do worse than mane.

Agree Mane looks carp at the moment after a promising start. He's gone from getting in good positions and missing sitters to not getting in good positions and missing wildly with long shots. Just looks a bit flaky for 10M at the moment. Hopefully be ok eventually as he's definitely got something.

So tempted to cancel my BT Sport subscription tonight.

Couldn't have willed Arsenal to win more, a slight facade of impatiality but Owen's Attitude, no Southampton representative in the commentary (McManaman? What's he got to do with us?)

They got the result they wanted.

Will reflect further on this tomorrow.

Keep the subscription but set up a Facebook group protesting against BT Sport, that'll show 'em.

Same story as last year, bad luck, injuries happening at the same time etc.

I had a horrible feeling that this was going to happen, but hoped that lightening doesn't strike twice. We never seem to have a manageable amount of players injured seems to come like an avalanche, just hope that at least 2 out of the 4 recent injuries are minor (subs precautionary except Toby obviously) and are OK for Monday. The luck also seems to go against us at the same time: refs decisions, shots flying over the goal not in etc....

On the positives at least we matched Arsenal for most of the match and shows that we are not far away from that level, even with the disruption through injuries. Could have done with hanging on for the point for confidence going forward, if we don't win against Man U means pressure at Burnley to stop no wins out of 4 streak.

1 goal in 3 matches is a problem and the form from a few weeks ago in this dept needs addressing quickly.

Koeman obvious knows better than I, but I would bring on a midfielder from the bench if required i.e. Reed for Cork rather then disrupt our solid defence.

it seems that our weakness this season is the depth of our squad

We have hit the glass ceiling hard this year...

Villa had one shot on target which was a gift, we were in the game against an excellent City side for half the game, and arguably deserved a point tonight.

Them the breaks but few hear seem to think we will out play City and then think something is majorly up when we don't.

Bound to be the same ones wetting themselves in the summer

Meh same old **** as last season injuries mounting, no squad depth, crappy luck and not quite clinical enough in front of goal. Just like last season I got ahead of myself as my heart kept telling my head we could go better than last season and finish top six.......my head is now firmly back in charge we will slip down the table over Christmas now IMO before rallying in feb and finish around 8th. Hoping for a cup final.

Agree FFS why does Yoshida get blamed for everything?

And everyone knows Reed is a brilliant midfielder without any evidence. Oh and ignore any poor performances from Gardos

Harrison Reed quickly acquiring Gaston levels of mythical game-changing ability on this forum.

Guess we might just see soon.

@bigadamsport: #saintsfc Injuries; Cork - recurrence of ankle injury, Alderweireld hamstring & Schneiderlin's hip problem not ready for #MUFC on Monday

I guess Koeman will have to play Reed now......there isn't anyone else left. I thought Mid field was one area we could cope with injuries guess I was wrong.

Good display, lucky Arsenal. Cork was taken out by the late Ramsey. Cazorla stood on Tadic. Long was clattered early on. Mane and especially Mayuka were totally unaware defensively and are not prepared to make the effort to defend. We missed Long and Tadic who supported our full backs but maybe the substitutions were necessary. IMO Mayuka was the wrong choice. Targett in front of Bertrand for me with ten minutes left, as soon as Alderweireld went off we opened up, Davis just doesn't tackle, he had a chance to block the cross for the goal but didn't go through the ball, just waved his foot at it. He does a lot of good link up play but I'd like a bit more guts from him when a last ditch block is needed. At least we have until Monday to try and get some fit.

Afraid you're wrong, Giroud had been instructed to play on Yoshida's side. Its not the first time it has been preempted either by their pre-match prep.

As for your point around Gardos and Reed, there is no evidence, no. What I disagree with is changing two units to cater for one, not just the personnel selected.

Disagree. Giroud's main instruction is to come near post because he's good at getting his body between the ball and defender. In this case, play happened to come down our left hand side (as it did for their opener in the 2-2 at SMS IIRC). He would have just as likely gone to Fonte's side had the attack gone down the right.

Edited by shurlock

Just like last year. We should have learned this lesson in the summer. Its not bad luck. Its what happens when games come thick and fast against good teams and in the colder weather.

Bloody hell, you do remember how many players we had to sign just to replace the deserters, the end of contracts and the plain bloody useless don't you ?

its a miracle we have as good as we have, you simply cannot do all you need to do in one window, even the big clubs know that.

The decent cover/squad players will come in January I'm sure.

Gutted about that. Thought we played well but when you go down to 10 men at the Emirates and three of your best players get injured, you know you're in trouble. Great game to watch though but just so disappointed that we couldn't hang on. I was starting to wonder about Forster but he proved his worth tonight.

Disagree. Giroud's main instruction is to come near post because he's good at getting his body between the ball and defender and rolling. In this case, play happened to come down our left hand side. He would have just as likely gone to Fonte's side had the attack gone down the right.

Sorry but Giroud has been in the past and again tonight, instructed to play on Maya's side.

I am not blaming Maya for tonights defeat either.

Jesus, what do you expect

JWP

Morgan

Cork

Tadic

All going off

I didn't expect most of our midfield to be crocked TBF. I was worried about having no back up for Pelle and Davis being our number 2 keeper at the beginning of the season. Those were the areas that looked thin on paper we seemed to have plenty of Midfielders when the season began. Even JWP being injured didn't seem to bad. But Davis, Morgan and Cork all getting injured in the space of two weeks has really screwed us especially as Reed is clearly not considered good enough.

Yes FF man of the match but Maya was thrown in at the deep end and did well, don't understand the constant criticism of Maya would't be anything to with not being 'one of us' would it? He wears red and white, so he is one of us.

Continue.....

they played well, were warriors, they showed pride for our club, but just unlucky with a result from a cheating opposition. They have all answered the questions from Sunday.

We still deserve to be were we are in the league, despite all the targetted injuries against our team, and basically kill our strong midfield.... Big Vic will be the next

With Giroud bound to have come on, Koeman made a huge mistake subbing Toby with Mayuka. Gardos should have come on knowing that we'd soon have Giroud there to keep in check.

Edited by ART

This is last season all over again. Crucial midfield and defensive injuries affecting us badly and cutting individual momentum's through a very tough run of games where things just don't seem to go our way. Including a poor performance on a cold night against Villa (just like last year's 3-2 defeat at SMS).

If we reach 19 games and are close enough to 40 points then I may still believe in our european challenge. I will point out that although we don't look like doing much better than last year (which was excellent) we certainly look like we're a good bet to equal that performance.

Felt we could have been more urgent in our counters otherwise unlucky to lose.

But we are quickly learning how difficult top 4 is. This season I think we'll finish 8-5th and enjoy a cup run. We need to add more depth or give youth a chance. That said what a season that would be.