Man Utd 0-1 Saints Reaction

Lighthouse

MotM vs Manchester United (Away 2014/15)  

497 members have voted

1. 1. MotM vs Manchester United (Away 2014/15)

• Forster
    • Bertrand
    • Clyne
    • Alderweireld
    • Fonte
    • Schneiderlin
    • Wanyama
    • Davis, S
    • Ward-Prowse
    • Elia
    • Pelle
    • Gardos
    • Tadic
    • Reed

Just heard KL has requested Tadic go to her office after training for a debrief and chat later today

When he removed his shirt & started fiddling with his waistband, I thought he was going to pull down his pants. Bit disappointing really, but I'll forgive him cos of goal :thumbup:

Fantastic! Superb tactically from Koeman, who out-thought the supposed maestro Van Gaal. Great discipline from the players, who carried out the plan brilliantly. Good to have Clyne back to balance both sides out wide and deny United the width. Shaw and Valencia are their skilled pacey wide players, but Clyne and Bertrand had the pace and skill to ensure that they were running down blind-alleys. Then they only had the option of attacking down the middle where we had the rocks that are Wanyama, Schneiderlin and Davis.

Typically of most United managers who lose to opposition deemed to be well below them in ability, Van Gaal couldn't be gracious and admit that we were the better team, he had to insinuate that they dominated us, despite having no shots on target against us. Usually the printed media and TV pundits would agree, but the tide is turning and they are starting to view us as genuine contenders for a CL place, so instead of concentrating quite so much on what United did wrong, they are beginning to emphasise what we did right. It is being highlighted that we have the best defence in the division and asked what wouldn't Chelsea, United, Arsenal, City, Liverpool give to have one like ours?

Although United have one of the most potent attacks in the League with World class strikers, (so much so that one of them had to be left out), that is innefective if they cannot get the service. Looking at it beforehand, it was clearly a case that we had the better defence and arguably the better midfield too, so there was always a chance that we would prevail if we could keep Rooney, Van Persie and Di Maria quiet. Mata was the other threat, but he was contained by Wanyama, Schneiderlin and Davis, who were magnificent. He did come into his own when United had dropped Van Persie and replaced him with the donkey Fellaini and they had to resort to hoofball. Ridiculous to see somebody like Van Gaal and a team like United playing hoofball and a sign of their desperation that they had to resort to it, but it was the most effective they had been and perhaps we were fortunate that Mata's finishing was below par.

On the other hand, we did ourselves have a couple of opportunities to have scored and ought to have been awarded at least one penalty for the shirt-pulling by Smalling on Pelle.This is getting so bad currently that there perhaps ought to be some possibility of a retrospective punishment for it, especially as it is sometimes punished in a match by a penalty. But the referee was clearly not going to award a penalty against United at Old Trafford. Maybe Pelle is too honest in staying on his feet and ought to go down, like all the cheating bastards do whenever our players barely touch them. It was also commented on by Neville during the match (excellent punditry), that United's players went down looking for the free-kick whenever there was the merest contact. We have a couple who do that too and perhaps referees should be a bit harder in their interpretation of what constitutes a foul.

Having taken these 7 points against Chelski, the Arse and United, we have no need to fear anybody. The difficult run of fixtures over the festive period is now virtually over and now we have a less daunting run to come. I won't say easier, as any team is capable of beating any other on their day, but provided we maintain this belief and discipline and don't suffer injuries and suspensions to key players, it looks very good for us.

Interesting to note that Schneiderlin's stock continues to rise after a masterful display. Now it becomes clear that if United wish to replace us in the top four, they need players like him. And Wanyama. And Clyne. And Tadic.

Don't wish your life away, enjoy every moment of where we are and where we have come from. Even after we went 1-0 up I told my daughter to relax and enjoy the sensation of being ahead at Old Trafford. It's never happened to me before.

Rodriguez put us one up there early on in one of Pochettino's first matches (end of Jan 2013), we should have won that one as well.

I still wish they'd either stop using the "last time we won at Old Trafford since 1988" line or that they'd insert "in the league" in it somewhere because we last won at Old Trafford in 1992....Semantics I know but hey.

If you mean the FA Cup match, it finished 2-2 and we won on penalties, that counts as a draw.

I think Pahars put us in front in the 3-3 game too.

With the "Stam-meg"? Yeah. Went ahead in Jan 2015, Jan 2013, Sep 1999, Egil in 2-1 defeat in Feb '97 too. Pre-'95 Soccerbase only seems to have scorers not times, so I may be doing Simon Charlton an injustice in 1995 as well, before '93 they don't even have scorers. :D

They're both very true. I suppose what I meant was 'being 1-0 up and in total control'. The only similar away game that I have experienced was away at Roker Park when Egil had score for us.

I quite enjoyed the 3-1 at Middlesbrough in the relegation season.

The pochettino bit made sense, we have not changed much, a few changes but nothing serious in reality. We tend to press only when they encroach the half way line as opposed to a high press.

That's a MASSIVE change though - the days of swarming all over the opposition with 6 players breaking from a transition are gone - but so are the days of getting undone from having three-quarters of the team the wrong side of the ball and giving them easy goals (Villa aside). It's also significant in terms of reducing ongoing fatigue - which I think we learned a hard lesson about in practical terms in December, for all of our monitoring.

F*ck the soulless plastic gloryhunting bandwagon jumping parade of so many deluded short-termist so-called football 'supporters' around the country, for whom "success" is something you attain by a simple switching of allegiances. Any such reflected "glory" is ultimately hollow, empty, and meaningless. This is Our Team. Our Southampton, representing Our City and birthplace -- and we should be very very proud of them.

I know I am.

Well said Halo - very interesting and from-the-heart post. I am very proud of them too.

They're both very true. I suppose what I meant was 'being 1-0 up and in total control'. The only similar away game that I have experienced was away at Roker Park when Egil had score for us.

Can't agree with the "total control" bit for that night, Whitey. I remember us scoring after about 5 mins and then getting completely battered for the rest of the game. Waddle was running the game and Maik Taylor made countless saves.

F*ck the soulless plastic gloryhunting bandwagon jumping parade of so many deluded short-termist so-called football 'supporters' around the country, for whom "success" is something you attain by a simple switching of allegiances. Any such reflected "glory" is ultimately hollow, empty, and meaningless. This is Our Team. Our Southampton, representing Our City and birthplace -- and we should be very very proud of them.

I know I am.

Well said Halo - very interesting and from-the-heart post. I am very proud of them too.

Well, not all of our birthplaces, but then the team from my birthplace beat the Skates in the League on Saturday, so all in all a pretty good weekend. :D

Can't agree with the "total control" bit for that night, Whitey. I remember us scoring after about 5 mins and then getting completely battered for the rest of the game. Waddle was running the game and Maik Taylor made countless saves.

I don't remember Waddle, to be honest, but I do remember Ulrich Van Gobbel having a good game.

Yep, that's how I remember it too, don't think I've been more relieved to hear a final whistle ever!

What an infantile performance by Van Gaal after the game. A grudging, peremptory handshake and sour grapes in his interview. Will have won him no friends in the game or in the media. Makes the sacking of David Moyes look like a serious mistake. Moyes was a gentleman by comparison to Van Gaal, he had the same performance record this time last year and he hadn't been allowed to spend £150m.

The9 - please pass our congratulations to Newport on doing the double over the blue few. The skates I know were expecting a bit of trouble before and after the game.

Onto Saints. Brilliant display of controlled, tactical football with plans well executed. Fraser almost undid it with a bit of an airy flap but luckily Mata blazed wide, other than that very few alarms.

Forster 7 - Was commanding on crosses with one notable exception (see above). Proving a very good signing but still looks like he's got a major mistake in him somewhere each game but playing in the PL will gradually eliminate that. No shots to save which you don't expect at OT.

Clyne 8.5 - Nearly a spectacular start and can't remember an error on what was his first game back.

Bertrand 8 - Like Clyne, very solid, a couple of loose passes which knocked him down 0.5 from Clyne

Fonte 10 - Didn't see a single error and caused panic in the Man U box at set pieces

Toby 10 - for 20 minutes, even when getting injured his interception stopped Di Maria trying to get in

Gardos 10 - wow, to come on and play like that from the bench for 70 minutes. More pace that I'd seen before, gained two yards on the rapid Valencia to get across and stop a dangerous cross coming on the counter.

Morgan 9 - superb

JWP 8 - stuck to his task well and made Carrick go sideways. Nearly a super breakaway goal but should have hit a volley after the first flick and looked to work De Gea as it was sitting up nicely. Hits his set-pieces so well that I'd like to see him try from range when he has a good opportunity sometimes.

Davis 8 - Mr Reliable

Elia 8 - Good 60 minutes to start with

Pelle 8 - Nice of Smalling to want to swap shirts in the first half. Held it up well after we scored, appalling lack of protection from the officials.

Tadic 8 - Very composed finish and broke well after we scored. Needless booking irriated Koeman though.

Reed 8 - Got stuck in and gave us an extra boost of energy to see the game out.

Just a pleasure to watch such a professional display.

Awesome - what a day to be a Saint :) can't stop grinning

It wasn't just that we won, it was the manner in which we did it - doubly so considering we lost Toby so early.

Rooney was a total C unit in his post match interview as well

Mohammad Ali called the tactic of soaking up pressure and winning on the counter "Rope a Dope" after seeing Rooney and Van Moyes deluded post match comments we now have "Rope the Dopes".

How dodgy is that Rooney hair transplant I know Bobby Charlton is a Manc legend but is Monkey Boy trying for a combover rug tribute ?

OWTS

The9 - please pass our congratulations to Newport on doing the double over the blue few. The skates I know were expecting a bit of trouble before and after the game.

Onto Saints. Brilliant display of controlled, tactical football with plans well executed. Fraser almost undid it with a bit of an airy flap but luckily Mata blazed wide, other than that very few alarms.

Forster 7 - Was commanding on crosses with one notable exception (see above). Proving a very good signing but still looks like he's got a major mistake in him somewhere each game but playing in the PL will gradually eliminate that. No shots to save which you don't expect at OT.

Clyne 8.5 - Nearly a spectacular start and can't remember an error on what was his first game back.

Bertrand 8 - Like Clyne, very solid, a couple of loose passes which knocked him down 0.5 from Clyne

Fonte 10 - Didn't see a single error and caused panic in the Man U box at set pieces

Toby 10 - for 20 minutes, even when getting injured his interception stopped Di Maria trying to get in

Gardos 10 - wow, to come on and play like that from the bench for 70 minutes. More pace that I'd seen before, gained two yards on the rapid Valencia to get across and stop a dangerous cross coming on the counter.

Morgan 9 - superb

JWP 8 - stuck to his task well and made Carrick go sideways. Nearly a super breakaway goal but should have hit a volley after the first flick and looked to work De Gea as it was sitting up nicely. Hits his set-pieces so well that I'd like to see him try from range when he has a good opportunity sometimes.

Davis 8 - Mr Reliable

Pelle 8 - Nice of Smalling to want to swap shirts in the first half. Held it up well after we scored, appalling lack of protection from the officials.

Tadic 8 - Very composed finish and broke well after we scored. Needless booking irriated Koeman though.

Victor not worth a mention then

Many people questioned where the 5 miniutes of stoppage time came from.

This analysis shows that, if you're playing one of the so-called "big" teams there is likely to be more stoppage time given if the big team is losing (around 5 minutes) than if they're winning (about 3.5 minutes).

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/competitions/premier-league/11334258/Are-Premier-League-referees-biased-towards-the-big-clubs.html

Morgan 9 - superb

Davis 8 - Mr Reliable

More or less agree except you've missed out big vic who gets a 9 in my book, works so well with Morgan, reads the danger, is imposing as always and strolls around midfield in complete control. Pacey for a big bloke too.

Also there is no way Pelle deserves an 8, he gets a 7 maxium. Was pretty dire yesterday and if he could hold the ball up it would have made life a lot easier. Granted he gets fouled a lot. Was poor in the air aswell yesterday.

Am speaking to anyone and everyone in my Manchester office today about how they lost (they have already fired me a few months back - am working my notice - so its low risk ;) ). The repeated view of the Utd fans is that we were lucky, it was an awful game to watch, and we got one decent chance etc etc. Some begrudging acknowledgement that they fluked the St Marys win, though no mention of how we battered them at home and they failed to do that yesterday. Of course I pointed out the deep flaws in their "Rooney-esq" analysis, citing one G Neville as my chief witness.

Whereas the City fans, plus one Leeds and one Bolton in the office all say it was an excellent performance by us, top drawer organisation and a great example of an away plan perfectly executed when up against £150m of attack or whatever it was.

Go figure.

This analysis shows that, if you're playing one of the so-called "big" teams there is likely to be more stoppage time given if the big team is losing (around 5 minutes) than if they're winning (about 3.5 minutes).

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/competitions/premier-league/11334258/Are-Premier-League-referees-biased-towards-the-big-clubs.html

The added time of 5 minutes on the 2nd half was so excessive that it took all the neutrals by surprise. There had only been 1 minute at the end of the first half, despite the stoppage for Alderweireld's injury, which highlighted how ludicrous the decision was at the end of the second half. Dowd did a very poor job overall and shouldn't be surprised if he's accused of bias. His failure to stop Van Persie trying to cheat over the restart, following Alderweireld having to be helped off the pitch was just one example, as were the shirt-pulling incidents that he failed to deal with.

Am speaking to anyone and everyone in my Manchester office today about how they lost (they have already fired me a few months back - am working my notice - so its low risk ;) ). The repeated view of the Utd fans is that we were lucky, it was an awful game to watch, and we got one decent chance etc etc. Some begrudging acknowledgement that they fluked the St Marys win, though no mention of how we battered them at home and they failed to do that yesterday. Of course I pointed out the deep flaws in their "Rooney-esq" analysis, citing one G Neville as my chief witness.

Whereas the City fans, plus one Leeds and one Bolton in the office all say it was an excellent performance by us, top drawer organisation and a great example of an away plan perfectly executed when up against £150m of attack or whatever it was.

Go figure.

you should also mention that the kit man put Forsters gloves and kit straight back into the kitbag as they dont need washing.

Also there is no way Pelle deserves an 8, he gets a 7 maxium. Was pretty dire yesterday and if he could hold the ball up it would have made life a lot easier. Granted he gets fouled a lot. Was poor in the air aswell yesterday.

omg smirking be reasonable, pelle was outnumbered + unsupported yesterday, he had the most difficult job of all! You have to weight ur ratings against how difficult their job is! I.e. I would only give Fourstar a 3.8 cos its quite easy to make no saves, but Pelle, I would give him at least a 12!

Go figure.

Surely the vast majority of fans in your Manchester office are City supporters. Most of the United supporters will be in areas like Bucks.

It is laughably corrupt. I could hardly believe my eyes when Fergie's board flashed up 5 minutes. From what? Cheaters never prosper, though. Actually, they do. They almost always get a goal backing Fergie time.

PS anyone else incensed by moronic questions by Sky's reporter about shin pads? And indeed about whether Van Gaal could have done better on the goal? Duh. Yes. They could have prevented it. On the upside, Gary Neville proved he's a fair pundit, apart from salivating about how Morgan could play for any of the big clubs.... (clue: look at the table)

omg smirking be reasonable, pelle was outnumbered + unsupported yesterday, he had the most difficult job of all! You have to weight ur ratings against how difficult their job is! I.e. I would only give Fourstar a 3.8 cos its quite easy to make no saves, but Pelle, I would give him at least a 12!

Nah

Disagree bear, ok he didnt have a lot around him but he had enough, he could have atleast made life more difficult on the CBs and gave us someone to hold it up better upfront.

Too often we looked to get the ball forward to relieve pressure only for it to come straight back, he was poor yesterday

Don't get to many away games, but went yesterday as had a chance of a first visit to Old Trafford. Thought that it would be a tight game, which it was. The organization and workrate of Saints was superb. Couldn't get over how 73,000 people could be so quiet though, especially after we scored. Having seen the replay of the goal it showed just how well Tadic did to set up Pelle. Pelle worked his backside off.

Found the locals at the game a friendly bunch, even coming back on the tram after the game. Must be that it's just the plastic Man U fans who are complete kn*bs.

Excellent day out.

Nah

Disagree bear, ok he didnt have a lot around him but he had enough, he could have atleast made life more difficult on the CBs and gave us someone to hold it up better upfront.

Too often we looked to get the ball forward to relieve pressure only for it to come straight back, he was poor yesterday

oh my god this is just like how you forced Lambert out the club :( What do you expect from the poor bro? He was up against Chris Smalling AND Phil Jones! England Internationals!

Don't get to many away games, but went yesterday as had a chance of a first visit to Old Trafford. Thought that it would be a tight game, which it was. The organization and workrate of Saints was superb. Couldn't get over how 73,000 people could be so quiet though, especially after we scored. Having seen the replay of the goal it showed just how well Tadic did to set up Pelle. Pelle worked his backside off.

Found the locals at the game a friendly bunch, even coming back on the tram after the game. Must be that it's just the plastic Man U fans who are complete kn*bs.

Excellent day out.

Watched the game on C+ and I'd have to say that both sets of supporters seemed to make a fair old bit of noise, had to turn the sound down a bit actually.

oh my god this is just like how you forced Lambert out the club :( What do you expect from the poor bro? He was up against Chris Smalling AND Phil Jones! England Internationals!

And the Blind guy who ended up taking over Luke 'Nandos' Shaw and creating some chances for Matta to miss.

JS8584170.jpg

Yeah, that's 2 defenders with severe disabilities and the Blind guy he had to play against, pretty much on his own!

He did spend a lot of time moaning though. Sometimes he was still moaning about why the throw in didn't go to us while £300m worth of player was bearing down on our defense.