Man Utd 0-1 Saints Reaction

Lighthouse

MotM vs Manchester United (Away 2014/15)  

497 members have voted

1. 1. MotM vs Manchester United (Away 2014/15)

• Forster
    • Bertrand
    • Clyne
    • Alderweireld
    • Fonte
    • Schneiderlin
    • Wanyama
    • Davis, S
    • Ward-Prowse
    • Elia
    • Pelle
    • Gardos
    • Tadic
    • Reed

I approve any attacks on MOTD pundits that happen to be Joey Barton. Go for your lives, he's an utter *****.

He just said "Southampton have solidified themselves". Idiot.

Other than that, thought MOTD were fair enough and nice about us.

I approve any attacks on MOTD pundits that happen to be Joey Barton. Go for your lives, he's an utter *****.

And Pochettino deserves the credit for our defensive performance in that match.

Would have liked to see them talking about Smalling's shirt pulling - I'd say if it had been Fonte pulling van Persie then they would have done, but there would have been a penalty (or two) given if it had been that way round.

He pretty much gave Pochettino credit for everything! Haven't changed our defence ?!!

I don't think it was bias. I think he just doesn't know what on earth he is talking about. How embarrassing for him!

He pretty much gave Pochettino credit for everything! Haven't changed our defence ?!!

I don't think it was bias. I think he just doesn't know what on earth he is talking about. How embarrassing for him!

And there's no point doing long balls to Fonte because he's been in League one??!!! LOL!

He was just talking off the top of his head. Not an effing clue.

91e0db525987c9e0def1868c74c0eea7.jpg
two more observations:

That looks like the entire starting 11 and the 7 on the bench, if you switch out Gazzaniga for Forster. They must have put Forster down below with the luggage.

Has Fonte adopted the Pelle doo? Fonte's part has become very defined.

Morgan never looks happy in any picture anymore

We have photos taken pre season with the players in Palafrugell when we played Llagostera last season and Morgan is the only one out of loads of photos with a face like a smacked @R$e.

C'est la vie

That was great today I was working at a trade show in London, it had gone quiet and my Manc mate had fired up Sky Go on his iPad we had loads of fellow exhibitors round the little screen on our stand when Dusan slotted home, most of the smaller hall at Olympia must have heard my cheer!!

These are great days Bros

Very disappointed that the MOTD pundits didn't mention the shirt pulling, especially because two of the incidents were included in the highlight film. If you watched the game live you may have thought that the incidents were worse than what was seen on MOTD. Definitely a penalty for the first one, which would have stopped any subsequent fouls of that nature. But no mention and no questions about it.

Cracking win, little moment of history. Seen us hammered or concede late goals so many times against these.

Defensive masterclass again. Even with previous successful Saints sides, we've focused more on the attacking side, never seen us with a defensive set up of this standard.

Can't stand Van Gaal which makes it all the more sweeter.

And there's no point doing long balls to Fonte because he's been in League one??!!! LOL!

The pochettino bit made sense, we have not changed much, a few changes but nothing serious in reality. We tend to press only when they encroach the half way line as opposed to a high press, and there is less reliance on keeping the ball and the players are allowed a bit more freedom in possession then the rigidity that there was under poch.

This isnt a surprise, most of us acknowledged it wouldnt change much, what Koeman has added has improved us but its subtle. There is a way we play at Southampton from youth to the senior team. That will be that way no matter who is installed as in reality that consistancy is key.

The fonte league one stuff was just complete ******** though

Agree. Pelle gets battered most games and gets little change out of refs, but today was ridiculous.

I do believe that there should be some post match punishment for shirt pullers. Everything has been recorded. The evidence is there.

(Mind Fonte has done it in the past too)

two more observations:

That looks like the entire starting 11 and the 7 on the bench, if you switch out Gazzaniga for Forster. They must have put Forster down below with the luggage.

Has Fonte adopted the Pelle doo? Fonte's part has become very defined.

My main observation would be the look on Schneiderlin's face. Looks like a moody teenager who has been roped into a big happy family picture when he would rather be out with his mates.

Just loving it and really enjoying the meltdown. Great performance by all the lads.

Loved the chants 'we are staying up' and 'we come from League One'

LvG and Rooney just deluded.

One game at a time - so excited. My only worry is Barca pinching Ronald either now or in the summer.

As I have read around the web tonight, eagerly devouring a tasty selection of post-United desserts served up in the aftermath of a sweetly taken three points at the Theater of Tactical Ineptitude; I felt it would be nice to summarise a wonderful night's work in the City of Rain, by casting our glances over a selection from a fine array of more than complimentary reviews of our performance - as many sections of the media have dished us up the credit we deserve for yet another fine performance.

Sunday Evening Media-watch:

There was in general, an overall feeling that came across in the majority of the articles I surveyed, summed up very well by The Independent's Ian Herbert - that we deserved our win, and our place in the current top three - as "Southampton go ahead of Manchester United in the table on merit".

Not only "a performance of discipline which serves to show that they are more than one of those interlopers at the top, who threaten in the dead of winter and are gone by Spring" - he enthuses, but also dares to suggest that this is a "victory that confirms their return to the form as genuine Champions League contenders".

Playing the way that we are right now, exuding confidence from every pore, alongside a steely resolve that has seen us concede the fewest goals by a margin of four in the English Top-flight -- it is difficult to argue with Mr Herbert. So just smile, and enjoy basking in the reflected glory of our superbly coached and managed Team.

Former regular Zonal Marking tactical scholar Michael Cox's analysis in The Guardian offers an interesting insight into our Ronald's sweetly savoured tactical triumph over long-time nemesis - His Supreme Arrogance, Louis Van Gaal - highlighting his astute system deployed to disrupt United's rhythm, with "plaudits for Southampton’s exceptional organisation" - and hailing it as "arguably their most impressive tactical display of the season", Michael's summary that "Southampton are capable of far better attacking football but, in terms of discipline and result, this was the perfect away performance" - seems just about right to me.

Where it comes to the subject of 'giving credit where it's due' -- something that many a Saints fan will tell you over the years has not so often been the case for 'little old Southampton' -- the unfortunately named Ian Ladyman began strongly in his article for the Mail Online: "Previously, during the golden years, only the really big teams used to come to Old Trafford with victory in mind. Now, that invitation is open to anybody who has the courage, nerve and ambition to come and take it. Teams like Southampton, in fact."

No, wait -- that can't be right. Louis Van Gaal said we came for a draw?! :?

But -- "Koeman's team didn't win this match on the back of some kind of smash and grab. This was no backs to the wall hang on and hope operation. Not a bit of it." He continues... "Southampton came to Manchester looking to outplay United, while their manager came to prove himself tactically more astute than the compatriot with whom he once worked fractiously at Ajax. As the result suggests, both plans worked."

Our Master Tactician at the helm of guiding the Good Ship Southampton's stoic course through some withering summer and early autumn storms where certain more "ambitious" rats deserted the prematurely declared 'sinking ship' to reunite with their 'missing heads' (some of which had bizarrely already washed up at the Port of Liverpool) - onward through the choppy waters and unrelenting rains of a cold wet six-game November-Pre-Christmas winless 'slump' -- and on into uncharted Premier League territory for The Saints, as we've answered our seemingly at times gleefully quick-off-the-mark critics, impatiently 'waiting for us to fail' - by proving that we were indeed harshly done by in our last run of games against some of the "Bigger" Clubs, nailing them second time around, and sailing into January deservingly occupying Third Place in the table.

This squawka.com piece from Sam Long continues the theme of praise for our Tactical Wizard, focusing on his acknowledgement that we knew United's (and Van Gaal's) weaknesses, and ruthlessly exploited them. His observations that "the South Coast outfit produced a diligent and determined defensive display to curb the Red Devils attacking intent" nicely illustrating the resolve and composure with which we dealt with an increasingly desperate United, frustrating them throughout, to the point where they ran out of ideas, and exposed Van Gaal's lack of understanding of how to change the game, to stop us stopping them. To see Manchester United resorting to hoofing the old-fashioned 'snow-capped' yellow ball up to the uncultured mop of 'makeshift striker' Marouane Fellaini was a thing of great beauty. :D

In such futile times, the attempted breaking down of such stubbornly well-drilled resistance, surely calls for the silky skills and fire-power of someone like £345,000-a-week Forward Radamel Falcao, wouldn't you say, Louis? :mcinnes:

Sam goes on to conclude that "the result moves Southampton, who were tipped to be relegation candidates at the start of the season, up to third place in the Premier League table and suggests their bid for a Champions League spot needs to be recognised."

It does indeed Mr Long. Indeed it does. We're like a big fat proverbial 'white elephant' sat in the middle of the Match of The Day studio floor. And no lads - simply ignoring us and pretending we're not there, won't make us go away. It just reflects badly upon your impartiality credentials. :p

Try celebrating our acheivement with us for what it is: a truly remarkable story, that is a credit to the game of football.

In possibly the best encasulation of our play, not only today, but through the course of what has so far been an epic season - thepremierleagueowl.com attempt to assess "the true barometer of Ronald Koeman's Southampton success", with a decent read, focusing upon something the great-man himself likes to highlight, namely our superb organisation, and the way we defend as a unit.

"Koeman’s side allowed fewer shots on goal per game than any other team in the division. That vividly portrays just how well constructed this team’s defensive shape is and just how good they’ve become at not only defending their own goal, but also their penalty-box."

"Good defending is about restricting chance-creation" - Seb continues - "and, with their opponents averaging a paltry 9.3 attempts per game, Southampton have been doing that all year – and they continued to do it today".

"There was almost no desperation to their play without the ball, it was mainly just well-drilled method." Nicely summed up. Southampton are a well oiled machine, and We March On.

I'll finish up with this great read from The Mirror; focused upon who the f*ck is laughing now, and how our beautiful beligerant little Southampton have "routed the doubters", and just refuse to go away.

The article is also fun due to it's eligibility for inclusion in the Defectors thread, with deliciously in-tune pointed jibes like: "their team’s magnificent season has been defined by glorious defiance of the grisly predictions made about their fate last summer" -- and "they are embarrassing a lot of their former doubters, not least the players who moved on to new pastures. Their victory over United meant that they have moved back ahead of every single player who moved on in search of greater glories."

LEmn9Aj.jpg

It also induced a wry smile to see a 'tip of the hat' toward the "masterly sarcasm" of our support. :lol: Talents that - whilst any regular Saints Web reader will be more than familiar with our qualities in that department, due to their very regular honings on this very board - it is still nice to see our abilities in this regard receiving the wider acknowledment that they deserve. :p

We are Southampton. World Leaders in player development, training innovation -- and lacerating sarcasm. We don't care who you are -- we cut you to f*cking shreds, on the pitch, and off of it.

Just thought I'd offer up some favourite reads of the evening, for anyone that missed them, to cap off another Defensive Masterclass and errudite display of Tactical Supremacy. :)

F*ck the soulless plastic gloryhunting bandwagon jumping parade of so many deluded short-termist so-called football 'supporters' around the country, for whom "success" is something you attain by a simple switching of allegiances. Any such replected "glory" is ultimately hollow, empty, and meaningless. This is Our Team. Our Southampton, representing Our City and birthplace -- and we should be very very proud of them.

I know I am. :) :toppa:

As I have read around the web tonight, eagerly devouring a tasty selection of post-United desserts served up in the aftermath of a sweetly taken three points at the Theater of Tactical Ineptitude; I felt it would be nice to summarise a wonderful night's work in the City of Rain, by casting our glances over a selection from a fine array of more than complimentary reviews of our performance - as many sections of the media have dished us up the credit we deserve for yet another fine performance.

There was in general, an overall feeling that came across in the majority of the articles I surveyed, summed up very well by The Independent's Ian Herbert - that we deserved our win, and our place in the current top three - as "Southampton go ahead of Manchester United in the table on merit".

Not only "a performance of discipline which serves to show that they are more than one of those interlopers at the top, who threaten in the dead of winter and are gone by Spring" - he enthuses, but also dares to suggest that this is a "victory that confirms their return to the form as genuine Champions League contenders".

Playing the way that we are right now, exuding confidence from every pore, alongside a steely resolve that has seen us concede the fewest goals by a margin of four in the English Top-flight -- it is difficult to argue with Mr Herbert. So just smile, and enjoy basking in the reflected glory of our superbly coached and managed Team.

Former regular Zonal Marking tactical scholar Michael Cox's analysis in The Guardian offers an interesting insight into our Ronald's sweetly savoured tactical triumph over long-time nemesis - His Supreme Arrogance, Louis Van Gaal - highlighting his astute system deployed to disrupt United's rhythm, with "plaudits for Southampton’s exceptional organisation" - and hailing it as "arguably their most impressive tactical display of the season", Michael's summary that "Southampton are capable of far better attacking football but, in terms of discipline and result, this was the perfect away performance" - seems just about right to me.

Where it comes to the subject of 'giving credit where it's due' -- something that many a Saints fan will tell you over the years has not so often been the case for 'little old Southampton' -- the unfortunately named Ian Ladyman began strongly in his article for the Mail Online: "Previously, during the golden years, only the really big teams used to come to Old Trafford with victory in mind. Now, that invitation is open to anybody who has the courage, nerve and ambition to come and take it. Teams like Southampton, in fact."

But -- "Koeman's team didn't win this match on the back of some kind of smash and grab. This was no backs to the wall hang on and hope operation. Not a bit of it." He continues... "Southampton came to Manchester looking to outplay United, while their manager came to prove himself tactically more astute than the compatriot with whom he once worked fractiously at Ajax. As the result suggests, both plans worked."

Our Master Tactician at the helm of guiding the Good Ship Southampton's stoic course through some withering summer and early autumn storms where certain more "ambitious" rats deserted the prematurely declared 'sinking ship' to reunite with their 'missing heads' (some of which had bizarrely already washed up at the Port of Liverpool) - onward through the choppy waters and unrelenting rains of a cold wet six-game November-Pre-Christmas winless 'slump' -- and on into uncharted Premier League territory for The Saints, as we've answered our seemingly at times gleefully quick-off-the-mark critics, impatiently 'waiting for us to fail' - by proving that we were indeed harshly done by in our last run of games against some of the "Bigger" Clubs, nailing them second time around, and sailing into January deservingly occupying Third Place in the table.

This squawka.com piece from Sam Long continues the theme of praise for our Tactical Wizard, focusing on his acknowledgement that we knew United's (and Van Gaal's) weaknesses, and ruthlessly exploited them. His observations that "the South Coast outfit produced a diligent and determined defensive display to curb the Red Devils attacking intent" nicely illustrating the resolve and composure with which we dealt with an increasingly desperate United, frustrating them throughout, to the point where they ran out of ideas, and exposed Van Gaal's lack of understanding of how to change the game, to stop us stopping them. To see Manchester United resorting to hoofing the old-fashioned 'snow-capped' yellow ball up to the uncultured mop of 'makeshift striker' Marouane Fellaini was a thing of great beauty. :D

In such futile times, the attempted breaking down of such stubbornly well-drilled resistance, surely calls for the silky skills and fire-power of someone like £345,000-a-week Forward Radamel Falcao, wouldn't you say, Louis? :mcinnes:

Sam goes on to conclude that "the result moves Southampton, who were tipped to be relegation candidates at the start of the season, up to third place in the Premier League table and suggests their bid for a Champions League spot needs to be recognised."

It does indeed Mr Long. Indeed it does. We're like a big fat proverbial 'white elephant' sat in the middle of the Match of The Day studio floor. And no lads - simply ignoring us and pretending we're not there, won't make us go away. It just reflects badly upon your impartiality credentials. :p

Try celebrating our acheivement with us for what it is: a truly remarkable story, that is a credit to the game of football.

In possibly the best encasulation of our play, not only today, but through the course of what has so far been an epic season - thepremierleagueowl.com attempt to assess "the true barometer of Ronald Koeman's Southampton success", with a decent read, focusing upon something the great-man himself likes to highlight, namely our superb organisation, and the way we defend as a unit.

"Koeman’s side allowed fewer shots on goal per game than any other team in the division. That vividly portrays just how well constructed this team’s defensive shape is and just how good they’ve become at not only defending their own goal, but also their penalty-box."

"Good defending is about restricting chance-creation" - Seb continues - "and, with their opponents averaging a paltry 9.3 attempts per game, Southampton have been doing that all year – and they continued to do it today".

"There was almost no desperation to their play without the ball, it was mainly just well-drilled method." Nicely summed up. Southampton are a well oiled machine, and We March On.

I'll finish up with this great read from The Mirror; focused upon who the f*ck is laughing now, and how our beautiful beligerant little Southampton have "routed the doubters", and just refuse to go away.

The article is also fun due to it's eligibility for inclusion in the Defectors thread, with deliciously in-tune pointed jibes like: "their team’s magnificent season has been defined by glorious defiance of the grisly predictions made about their fate last summer" -- and "they are embarrassing a lot of their former doubters, not least the players who moved on to new pastures. Their victory over United meant that they have moved back ahead of every single player who moved on in search of greater glories."

LEmn9Aj.jpg

It also induced a wry smile to see a 'tip of the hat' toward the "masterly sarcasm" of our support. :lol: Talents that - whilst any regular Saints Web reader will be more than familiar with our qualities in that department, due to their very regular honings on this very board - it is still nice to see our abilities in this regard receiving the wider acknowledment that they deserve. :p

We are Southampton. World Leaders in player development, training innovation -- and lacerating sarcasm. We don't care who you are -- we cut you to f*cking shreds, on the pitch, and off of it.

Just thought I'd offer up some favourite reads of the evening, for anyone that missed them, to cap off another Defensive Masterclass and errudite display of Tactical Supremacy. :)

F*ck the soulless plastic gloryhunting bandwagon jumping parade of so many deluded short-termist so-called football 'supporters' around the country, for whom "success" is something you attain by a simple switching of allegiances. Any such replected "glory" is ultimately hollow, empty, and meaningless. This is Our Team. Our Southampton, representing Our City and birthplace -- and we should be very very proud of them.

Good work!

LEmn9Aj.jpg

Brilliant work Halo

The pochettino bit made sense, we have not changed much, a few changes but nothing serious in reality. We tend to press only when they encroach the half way line as opposed to a high press, and there is less reliance on keeping the ball and the players are allowed a bit more freedom in possession then the rigidity that there was under poch.

This isnt a surprise, most of us acknowledged it wouldnt change much, what Koeman has added has improved us but its subtle. There is a way we play at Southampton from youth to the senior team. That will be that way no matter who is installed as in reality that consistancy is key.

Yes, except this is more more sophisticated reinterpretation of what we think he might have meant. Whereas, what he actually did was:

- talk about Pochettino with no mention of Koeman

- say the core of our team from defence to midfield (I'm paraphrasing, correct me if I'm wrong) didn't change over the summer.

I did enjoy the rest of the MOTD analysis though, especially pulling out the quartet groupings. I wish they do more of this kind of thing.

Morgan lookin as happy as he did in the dressing room!?

Maybe it worries him that the camera will steal his sole? Because if it does, how can he sell it to Spurs?

Or maybe he's thinking: 'Sheet. looks like I was a wanger wanted european football with Wenger, when I could just stay here. How foolish was I!'

Maybe he said to Luke Shaw on the pitch, 'Can you get me the start?'. To which Luke retorted, 'You want to come here? I was going to ask you if you can see if I can come back!!!!' That was why he was down in the dressing room.

Then on the coach he had texts from SRL, Lalalanaman, Calum and Vorren saying, 'Well done on a good win! You know Roko well. Can we come back please?'

And a text from Pocho, saying, 'Look, I still want you in my team, I can't guarentee you european football this year, but maybe next year?'

Brilliant all round performance, but special props to Gardos, going in cold against that front 4 and performing the way he did was massive for us.

Onwards and upwards. UTS.

Agree - Gardos played his best ever game for us so far, a performance that will give him confidence, and us confidence in him.

Good man Florin.

Thanks for that "Halo"...top post.

The last paragraph sums up my feeling today after 60+ years of highs and lows supporting my team. No matter what happens in the last part of this season, I as a long standing "Saint" know, you must "live in the moment."

Today I'm a proud man.:toppa:

I don't think it did make sense. No-one is suggesting that MP wasn't a good coach and defensively good, but there is a whole host of people you could pick out for praise one way or another, MP was just another part of the process.

We've gone up a gear defensively since last season. Fonte improving even further. 3 of our back 5 personnel changing. Significant change in pressing in my eyes. We seem quite happy to concede possession, soak up pressure, enough of a change from last season to be relevant.

Yes, except this is more more sophisticated reinterpretation of what we think he might have meant. Whereas, what he actually did was:

- say the core of our team from defence to midfield (I'm paraphrasing, correct me if I'm wrong) didn't change over the summer.

I did enjoy the rest of the MOTD analysis though, especially pulling out the quartet groupings. I wish they do more of this kind of thing.

Yes, this 100% Lou. Never mind that 3 of the back 5 (4 of 6 if you include both Toby and Florin) are different. Muppet analysis as usual for our game but agreed, the rest was pretty good

Duplicate. Man Utd guy messing up my IT

Edited by Bucks Saint

Agree - Gardos played his best ever game for us so far, a performance that will give him confidence, and us confidence in him.

Good man Florin.

Quote from Romanian cab driver this morning: "I support Dinamo Bucherest so I used to hate Gardos. But since I lived here I have come to hate Man Utd more and he was brilliant, the best I have seen him. What a result!"

Gave him a decent tip naturally ;)