Rodriguez given the all-clear and set to return next month

Saint-Armstrong

He did say he was still a long way from joining the first team training and was very clear about that.

Based on that I can't see him playing before the end of the season, no point risking it as he won't have time to get up to speed anyway.

Going from reports of him still looking to move, it would be a huge shame if his last moment in a Saints shirt was him hobbling off the pitch at City.

Who'd take him? He hasn't played in over a year. His game was based largely on pace and he could well have lost a yard after such an injury. Basically I think he will be lucky to get back in the first 11 at saints let alone harbour ambitions of going to a big club. I think his injury has ****ed his career right royally TBH.

Mad when you think of the value of forwards we currently own that haven't been able to have any impact on this season for one reason or another, Rodriguez, Osvaldo, Ramirez, £30m+.

But 2 of those are by our own choosing so we must have our reasons I suppose. Perhaps we could just not hack their salaries.

But 2 of those are by our own choosing so we must have our reasons I suppose. Perhaps we could just not hack their salaries.
Yeah, I'm well aware of that, just think its a pretty unique situation for a club our size to own that much attacking talent and not be able to get any return from them, regardless of the reasons.

Yeah, I'm well aware of that, just think its a pretty unique situation for a club our size to own that much attacking talent and not be able to get any return from them, regardless of the reasons.

throw in the price for shane long....incredible money for such little return compared to expectations for a club like ours

I'd say Long has had a more positive impact this season than Gaston (who cost about the same) managed over two seasons.

Very debateable. At least at times Gaston looked class.

Long has been poor overall and if Jay stays and we sign another attacker in the summer then I can't see him being a regular for us ever.

Edited by Saint Charlie

I would call head butting the captain a bit more than an altercation.

There was talk that it wasn't a first offence, at the time. Obviously, these rumours were never confirmed so it may be just talk.

There was also the incident up at St James' just before too.

He also didn't help himself much in the summer by p much going AWOL.

I saw JayRod in The Lamb in Nomandsland on Saturday... Whislt he was out and about driving/walking he had a very noticeable limp on him which was giving him difficulties. I doubt we'll see him any time this season tbh, not an expert on these kind of injuries by no means, but if he is having trouble walking I can't see him running.

I don't like how this is all going to be honest. Something has gone wrong big style in the last few months, as he was pretty close at the back end of the year. In fact, he'd targeted the Burnley game (away) as a come back game!

ACL injuries aren't the career enders they once were, but if you don't get the job done right first time then it will forever be a problem - and I just hope that that's not the case, as he's such a top player with bags of potential.

throw in the price for shane long....incredible money for such little return compared to expectations for a club like ours

What return are you expecting? Goals? RK brought him in to do a job, which he appears to be doing very well, and that is pulling defences around and making space for others.

What return are you expecting? Goals? RK brought him in to do a job, which he appears to be doing very well, and that is pulling defences around and making space for others.

Yes. Goals.

Where have you got the info as to why he was brought in for

Cheers

I am going in that we bought a striker and his main aim is to score goals. More so when his role at his last two clubs was up the middle

A club like us would be paying way over the odds for a player who just runs about a lot at £12m

I saw JayRod in The Lamb in Nomandsland on Saturday... Whislt he was out and about driving/walking he had a very noticeable limp on him which was giving him difficulties. I doubt we'll see him any time this season tbh, not an expert on these kind of injuries by no means, but if he is having trouble walking I can't see him running.

He was doing full sprints in a physio session , when my son saw him about a month ago.

Taken from his website (http://officialjayrodriguez.co.uk/index.php/blog-news/38-new-boots) on 6th Feb he wrote:

"I've not been on my blog lately as I have been working harder than I think I have ever worked in the gym making sure I get 100% fit and come back to football even stronger!

I signed a new deal with Adidas and the picture is of my new F50 boots which I'm buzzing about using. Training is going really well now and I'm working 6 days a week so I can get back with the lads as quick as possible as they’re flying at the moment and there is a real buzz about the club from everyone involved at Southampton. I'm really working hard to get fully fit and playing this season and I will keep you all updated with my progress."

Either it's gone really badly since then or it's just gone quiet and we are worrying for no reason. Signing a new deal with Adidas and training 6 days a week is a good indication that he's heading in the right direction, for me anyway.

• 2 weeks later...
Taken from his website (http://officialjayrodriguez.co.uk/index.php/blog-news/38-new-boots) on 6th Feb he wrote:

"I've not been on my blog lately as I have been working harder than I think I have ever worked in the gym making sure I get 100% fit and come back to football even stronger!

I signed a new deal with Adidas and the picture is of my new F50 boots which I'm buzzing about using. Training is going really well now and I'm working 6 days a week so I can get back with the lads as quick as possible as they’re flying at the moment and there is a real buzz about the club from everyone involved at Southampton. I'm really working hard to get fully fit and playing this season and I will keep you all updated with my progress."

Either it's gone really badly since then or it's just gone quiet and we are worrying for no reason. Signing a new deal with Adidas and training 6 days a week is a good indication that he's heading in the right direction, for me anyway.

so he's not lost hios pen or developed a phobia of contracts then.

So the setback was due to an infection. I have not seen that reported before. Suggests the news could be good, it is not really the original injury which has delayed his return (possibly, maybe). Still seems unlikely to me he will really be in contention for a place this season when we only have 8 games left.

*If* he is done' date=' how does medical insurance work these days? Would we get compensation? A bit grim to discuss but I guess being out for a year and not even back in training is more than a tad worrying.[/quote']

A club can insure the value of the contract they have with each player, however this is unlikely to be called upon as MOST of the time when a player is forced to retire due to injury, they terminate their contract with the club. This waives all rights they have to claim money back from the club for that contract therefore the club technically don't have to pay them anything (bit like someone resigning from their job).

In reality, the club is likely to pay them a reduced wage for an agreed period of time (probably half the remaining time of their contract) and each player will have their own personal accident and health insurance which will cover any lost earnings.

In terms of the club getting compensation, I very much doubt it. The only expense I can see the club being able to reclaim is if the transfer fee to bring the player to the club is done via unconditional instalments. In regards to claiming lost revenue because player X gets injured and the club misses out on winning the league/staying up - unfortunately this isn't covered.

Hope this helps

So the setback was due to an infection. I have not seen that reported before. Suggests the news could be good, it is not really the original injury which has delayed his return (possibly, maybe). Still seems unlikely to me he will really be in contention for a place this season when we only have 8 games left.

This is true, caught an infection post-op which curtailed his return.

A club can insure the value of the contract they have with each player, however this is unlikely to be called upon as MOST of the time when a player is forced to retire due to injury, they terminate their contract with the club. This waives all rights they have to claim money back from the club for that contract therefore the club technically don't have to pay them anything (bit like someone resigning from their job).

In reality, the club is likely to pay them a reduced wage for an agreed period of time (probably half the remaining time of their contract) and each player will have their own personal accident and health insurance which will cover any lost earnings.

In terms of the club getting compensation, I very much doubt it. The only expense I can see the club being able to reclaim is if the transfer fee to bring the player to the club is done via unconditional instalments. In regards to claiming lost revenue because player X gets injured and the club misses out on winning the league/staying up - unfortunately this isn't covered.

Hope this helps

Are you sure? What about Messi being insured for a 100 million a couple of years ago, or Gordan Watson getting his million pound insurance money from Bradford.

He was doing full sprints in a physio session , when my son saw him about a month ago.

Interesting. But regardless he was out limping in the New Forest. I'll let the experts in Knee Ligament damage decide what that actually means. :scared: :?

I'd say Long has had a more positive impact this season than Gaston (who cost about the same) managed over two seasons.

Well said.

Gaston was a proper waste of money, bested only by Osvaldo.

http://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/Gaston-Ramirez-Jury-long-term-future-Hull-City/story-26102863-detail/story.html

Hasn't exactly impressed at Hull FFS!!!

Are you sure? What about Messi being insured for a 100 million a couple of years ago, or Gordan Watson getting his million pound insurance money from Bradford.

Messi's insurance is taken out by himself (although probably arranged by FCB) which is insuring his contract and loss of earnings if he has to retire due to inujry.

Gordon Watson didn't get an insurance pay-out, he sued the player (Kevin Gray) and his club (Huddersfield) for negligence in court and won. There's a massive difference between insurance claims and civil negligence.

Edited by supersonic