Rodriguez given the all-clear and set to return next month

Saint-Armstrong

I'm sorry but what the hell has shane long done for us. He's average at best. A good player to have around but he's nowhere near the class that j rod was.

He is a talisman. When he scores we win. He is like what Ian Rush used to be at Liverpool.

Sorry, but this report smacks of getting him sold again, and if the club actually provided this info, I am guessing they have given up on him signing a contract but want him back in the shop window as soon as it is safe to do so.

No it doesn't. It's all about his recovery with a couple of lines at the very end about other clubs monitoring the situation, which is hardly news.

If he leaves in the summer for 25 Million he owes nothing to Southampton.

No club is paying that for him this summer after 12 months out with a potential career ending injury and only 12 months left on his contract. I'd be surprised if any club bids more than 10 million for him this summer

Imagine, for a moment, that he was a West Ham player and it was Saints who were touted as being about to spunk 25 million big ones on a player who (by the end of the season) might have had a couple of sub appearances following major injury. Not going to happen.

If there is truly a contract offer on the table from Saints (which I seriously doubt, at least not an unconditional one) he would be mad not to have signed it by now.

If there is truly a contract offer on the table from Saints (which I seriously doubt, at least not an unconditional one) he would be mad not to have signed it by now.

He's definitely had one. It hasn't been signed. Why that is could be down to either party, but a contract offer was definitely made. He also had it in his existing contract that after he made 40 starts in the league he was due a new contract. He hit that target sometime around March / April last year. Whether the contract offer was token due to that obligation or a serious offer that was rejected I don't know.

Sorry, but this report smacks of getting him sold again, and if the club actually provided this info, I am guessing they have given up on him signing a contract but want him back in the shop window as soon as it is safe to do so.

Got sand in your vagina again? Stop fretting over what is a piece of good news after months of setbacks and radio silence.

He's clearly a very good player, and I think in our system he could pose a threat. We've seen how dangerous Mane has looked when he's been given licence to run at defenders, and Jay Rod did that time and time again last year to good effect. Jay and Mane either side of Pelle could be :poundit: worthy.

Of course, if he doesn't want to be here then we can give him some game time towards the end of the season to hopefully change his mind, and if not we can hopefully capitalise on interest in him in the summer. I'd love to keep him, but as others have said he would've signed the contract by now if he had any intention of staying here longer than it takes for a bigger club to come in for him.

When he joined us there were lotsa peeps saying what a waste of money............now when he has been out for almost a year he's the best thing since sliced bread........MMMMMMMMMMM

Just saying

So let him go if he wants to...........guess we cant bill him for he rehab??

To be fair it took him a while to develop at Premiership level and I still don't think he is of International quality yet. Perhaps if he hadn't picked up the injury he would have improved further by this stage, who knows.

If he's got anything about him as a bloke he'll extend his contract and stay for at least another season or two. He should be embarrassed if he f ucks off at the first opportunity after having a years pay, not to mention the medical and rehabilitation fees and treatment.

Spot on and I think he will. He comes across as a good chap and I think he will feel indebted to the club.

Also the contract situation is probably on hold from both parties so they can see what happens. As the club are insured for players wages whilst they are injured then surely they couldn't increase these wages without taking a hit on them until the player is fully recovered?

I am far more concerned about the continuing absence of Morgan & Toby from training than the prospects of Jay Rodrigues who is nowhere near ready for training by the sound of it. Noises off no doubt come from his agent to remind anybody who listens that the player is still around. Even if he was back in training at the end of March he probably wouldn't make the bench until the middles/end of April when there would be only about 5 or 6 games left. If at that time we are still in with a shout for top four would Koeman really give him any game time at the expense of regulars who had earned us this position in the first place. To do so he'd have to be pretty damned impressive in training thus assuming he would be up to speed and match fit quickly. It's all asking a lot of the lad really. More realistically he might get a few minutes here and there to build his stamina, awareness and confidence and make sure there were then no remaining niggles from his serious injury. After a summer rest the ground would be prepared ready for pre-season fighting for his place for 2015/16.

I cannot see another club wanting to go faster with him than Saints, certainly not the top six boys, nobody buys a pig in a poke! Things have moved on everywhere since Jay was sidelined and as Ralph Kruegar said, there are loads of good young players out there who would die to play for Saints and indeed for any of the other top seven or eight clubs of the PL. That's what Jay is really up against, younger, stronger, faster, possibly more gifted kids lining up to join the gravy train.

I am far more concerned about the continuing absence of Morgan & Toby from training than the prospects of Jay Rodrigues who is nowhere near ready for training by the sound of it. Noises off no doubt come from his agent to remind anybody who listens that the player is still around. Even if he was back in training at the end of March he probably wouldn't make the bench until the middles/end of April when there would be only about 5 or 6 games left. If at that time we are still in with a shout for top four would Koeman really give him any game time at the expense of regulars who had earned us this position in the first place. To do so he'd have to be pretty damned impressive in training thus assuming he would be up to speed and match fit quickly. It's all asking a lot of the lad really. More realistically he might get a few minutes here and there to build his stamina, awareness and confidence and make sure there were then no remaining niggles from his serious injury. After a summer rest the ground would be prepared ready for pre-season fighting for his place for 2015/16.

I cannot see another club wanting to go faster with him than Saints, certainly not the top six boys, nobody buys a pig in a poke! Things have moved on everywhere since Jay was sidelined and as Ralph Kruegar said, there are loads of good young players out there who would die to play for Saints and indeed for any of the other top seven or eight clubs of the PL. That's what Jay is really up against, younger, stronger, faster, possibly more gifted kids lining up to join the gravy train.

Agreed. Is there no news on their return? I had hoped with the 10 day break that Toby, Vic and Schneiderlin would return

Love it. When the Mail (or any media outlet for that matter) state something positive about Saints everyone laps it up, if it was an article linking a player with a transfer away it would be deemed "the daily fail" and journalist slated. Make your mind up people.

That is never going to happen.

Love it. When the Mail (or any media outlet for that matter) state something positive about Saints everyone laps it up, if it was an article linking a player with a transfer away it would be deemed "the daily fail" and journalist slated. Make your mind up people.

The daily mail is clickbait junk and should ALWAYS be treated as such, its unfortunate that they comment at all about us. Its as if they have got the leftovers from the journalist talent pool which was pretty ****ing shallow to start with and then dumbed them down.

My missus reads it and it drives me nuts, its the ****ing e channel of a newspaper.

Rant over.

Also if I could kill 2 journalists then Martin Samuel and Paul Newman would be hot favourites.

**** I hate the mail.

The daily mail is clickbait junk and should ALWAYS be treated as such, its unfortunate that they comment at all about us. Its as if they have got the leftovers from the journalist talent pool which was pretty ****ing shallow to start with and then dumbed them down.

My missus reads it and it drives me nuts, its the ****ing e channel of a newspaper.

Rant over.

Also if I could kill 2 journalists then Martin Samuel and Paul Newman would be hot favourites.

**** I hate the mail.

Adrian Durham must be one of them surely?!

Rant over.

**** I hate the mail.

Get off the fence FFS, this forum is for giving your view

I actually would prefer him NOT to make it back this season, to deter other clubs concluding he is fit and making offers.

To clarify, I want him to recover from injury and stay with us, not leave us and play for someone else.

I'm with you on that, if we see him before the season ends he could be gone by August, if we dont see him this season he will be here in August !

If he's training then I presume he can't be far away.

He's been training since about July last year (he posted on Twitter). Ball work or serious running is most likely the issue. Think you#ll find in most other aspects he is as fit as a butcher's dog (fitter than me f'sure).

• 2 weeks later...
Koeman said Jay Rod is unlikely to return to training this season.

Although he said 'it is not unlikely' I don't think he meant the double-negative.

Koeman was asked: "Is it unlikely that Jay will return to training this season?"

To which Koeman replied: "It is not unlikely"

Not sure why he wouldn't have simply answered "Yes (it's unlikely)" to the question if Jrod was unlikely to return. As you say, might just be lost in translation.

The club certainly chose not to re-word it when they clarified it on twitter, which you would have thought they'd do if the literal interpretation was wrong...

@SouthamptonFC

Koeman says "it is not unlikely" that @JayRodriguez9 will return to training with #SaintsFC before the season is out.

‏@danbsfc

@SouthamptonFC @JayRodriguez9 Double negative. Does that mean he will return to training soon then?

‏@SouthamptonFC

@danbsfc He was asked whether it was unlikely that Jay would return this season. #saintsfc

Edited by trousers

Koeman was asked: "Is it unlikely that Jay will return to training this season?"

Not sure why he wouldn't have simply answered "Yes (it's unlikely)" to the question if Jrod was unlikely to return. As you say, might just be lost in translation.

The club certainly chose not to re-word it when they clarified it on twitter:

@SouthamptonFC

Koeman says "it is not unlikely" that @JayRodriguez9 will return to training with #SaintsFC before the season is out.

‏@danbsfc

@SouthamptonFC @JayRodriguez9 Double negative. Does that mean he will return to training soon then?

‏@SouthamptonFC

@danbsfc He was asked whether it was unlikely that Jay would return this season. #saintsfc

Well of course the old unlikely, not unlikely couple is used often enough. In fact it probably means that he's more likely to return than not.

The club certainly chose not to re-word it when they clarified it on twitter:

@SouthamptonFC

‏@danbsfc

‏@SouthamptonFC

Koeman's English is good enough I would have thought, that he could understand a double negative, at least one that is gramatically correct. (Rather than the ignorant use like "I didn't do nothing, guv".)

He did say he was still a long way from joining the first team training and was very clear about that.

Based on that I can't see him playing before the end of the season, no point risking it as he won't have time to get up to speed anyway.

Going from reports of him still looking to move, it would be a huge shame if his last moment in a Saints shirt was him hobbling off the pitch at City.