Here come our new 'rivals'...

Saint-Armstrong

Redknap was on Radio4 this morning talking about how he laid the foundations for this. Also discussed how he 'signed the lad' Howe at Bournemouth and 'took him with me to Portsmouth.'

You honestly couldn't make it up, the guy is a walking parody of himself.

In other news, well done Bournemouth.

Ah yes - Redknapp. Amazing what he did with us in 87, that is still his best managerial achievement I feel. Nowadays - we are wary of him tbh. Seems like a decent bloke though, just not that great a manager anymore!

As for us going in for Austin and Ings - they wouldn't come to AFCB, I presume they would end up at yourselves, Newcastle, Everton etc level.

Redknap was on Radio4 this morning talking about how he laid the foundations for this. Also discussed how he 'signed the lad' Howe at Bournemouth and 'took him with me to Portsmouth.'

He must have laid the foundations for them nearly going bust, not rising like a Phoenix from the flames. It's not like he hasn't got form for it.....

Don't forget he made Tony Pulis the man he is by signing him for Bompey in 1986.

A Bournemouth fan here, who lives in Southampton for my sins. Have long flicked through the pages of this site to vaguely keep up on events at Saints, if just to know what the blocks down the local are moaning about! Thought I'd sign up finally, having come across this thread.

In the money v miracle thing - it's a mixture! It's easy to see from the club's history that there has always been a glass ceiling for us towards to top end of the third tier, or at a push the lower reaches of the second flight.

It now goes without saying that Howe is the greatest manager we've ever had (sorry Redknapp). It's speculation, but Howe likely could have taken us into the Championship without the improved budgets afforded by the owners - but there's no chance we could challenge for promotion again without. That said, we have these owners before Howe returned from Burnley, and we were still crap. It's the alliance of proper investment (for the first time in our history) AND the genius of Howe that has made this ridiculous success possible.

On the 'rivalry' thing. You ask different AFCB fans and you'll get different answers - there's certainly going to be a few that have a real bee in their bonnet for Saints. Generally younger lads who've grown up in the mass media age where Saints news is everywhere. But there's also going to be plenty who don't care, and others who actively like Saints. Dare I say it, those who might remember the naughty days where Saints and AFCB would get involved in situations alongside each other.

What I would say though, is that when our fixtures come round and we play each other, as a club we will throw the kitchen sink at Saints. That doesn't mean we hold any hatred for you - we'd just love to get one over on you. Like brothers who get hyper competitive when they're pitched against each other. It's enthusiasm, it's not vitriol.

Otherwise, on the whole we'd wish Saints well (again, the brother analogy). Particularly in Europe next season when it'll have no affect on us and be great for the representation of south coast football if Saints could progress.

In League One when you met us last, Saints were really the only big fish and the only interesting opposition to us. So that all became very concentrated. Every other club down there we'd played a million times over. Next season - almost every club we're going to face is going to be new, bigger, wealthier, and interesting for us to see.

Oops!

It turns out that the mayor of Bournemouth, Chris Mayne, is a Saints fan.

Let's hope his term of office ends before the first derby.

The mayor has been separately pictured in both a Saints shirt, and an AFCB tie recently. Make of that what you will. Flip flop I believe is the term.

The mayor has been separately pictured in both a Saints shirt, and an AFCB tie recently. Make of that what you will. Flip flop I believe is the term.

Didn't he go for a swim in the sea in a Saints shirt over Christmas? I remember a Bournemouth-supporting mate of mine being particularly annoyed by that :lol:

According to a clearly still excited AFCB fan on Facebook, they are now favourites to sign Ings and Austin, Boruc will stay with them and will likely sign Yoshida, Bolasie and Delph....

:lol:

I think he might be in for a shock. They'll sign PL players nearing the end of their careers or talented lower league players not one player on that list would consider Bournemouth a good career move. They'll need a few seasons in the PL for that.

An online article on our potential new rivalry with Bournemouth

http://wearehooligans.com/2015/04/28/afc-bournemouths-arrival-gives-southampton-fc-a-south-coast-rival/

I particularly like this bit

With only 32 miles separating Bournemouth’s Dean Court and Southampton’s St. Mary’s Stadium, this powder keg could be set to erupt like never before.

http://wearehooligans.com/2015/04/28/afc-bournemouths-arrival-gives-southampton-fc-a-south-coast-rival/

With only 32 miles separating Bournemouth’s Dean Court and Southampton’s St. Mary’s Stadium, this powder keg could be set to erupt like never before.

That article has to be the biggest load of ******** i've ever read

Before I even read the article I wasn't surprised by it's content, going by the name of the site.

The battle of the new forest....coming to a South Coast near you! (but Mind the horses and ponys)

Yet again, I will moan about the internet giving prominence to these non-entity 'journalists' and pointless articles. Badly written, no information, complete drivel.

Before I even read the article I wasn't surprised by it's content, going by the name of the site.

The battle of the new forest....coming to a South Coast near you! (but Mind the horses and ponys)

There will be no battle Bournemouth V Saints will be a bubble game....it's so nawty

Yet again, I will moan about the internet giving prominence to these non-entity 'journalists' and pointless articles. Badly written, no information, complete drivel.

Freedom of speech man freedom of speech the internet has set us free................................................to write complete ****e

I think he might be in for a shock. They'll sign PL players nearing the end of their careers or talented lower league players not one player on that list would consider Bournemouth a good career move. They'll need a few seasons in the PL for that.

I did say that a few posts ago - I presume you boys will be keeping an eye on the Austin scenario if QPR go down, quite an obvious one? Him or Ings would'nt go to us.

I did say that a few posts ago - I presume you boys will be keeping an eye on the Austin scenario if QPR go down, quite an obvious one? Him or Ings would'nt go to us.

Recruiting for a first season in the PL is tough you need PL quality players but convincing them to come to a newly promoted side isn't easy. Best hope is that a good number of your current squad can make the step up and you can get one or two older but experienced PL veterans (dare I say Rickie Lambert).

we were lucky, we have lallana, lambert, fonte, schneiderlin, cork at ours.

we went for top buys in the championship in clyne, rodrigues. Gaston Ramirez was alright in season 1 in the prem. But really, it was the side with 1 or 2 bits of quality bought from the championship that really worked for us.

Best bet for Bournemouth is to do that IMO.

I do feel that the attacking nature of your play will be your downfall if it remains. no way on earth will that succeed over a season in the premier league. just no way

I remember reading this article at the start of last season, bemoaning the fact that so many of the struggling teams lump all their money in on attacking players in the mistaken belief that it's goals scored that keeps a team in the league.

In every top-flight season since the Premier League was formed in 1992, the team with the worst defensive record was relegated. However, on 8 occasions, the team with the worst scoring record has stayed up. Clearly there needs to be a balance there, but if Eddie Howe doesn't spend the majority of his budget on his back 4, he needs his head examining.

First of all 'Well done Bournemouth'

A fantastic achievement and done the right way.

I reckon, with a couple of quality upgrades, they should be more than capable of holding their own next season.

Just hope we can maintain our 'bragging rights'

As far as I can make out Bournemouth have only finished ahead of us in 2 seasons since we first entered the League in 1920/21.

It is interesting to reflect back on an early season friendly, when our scratch side (with Boruc in goal and Jos at the back) had a relatively comfortable 1-0 win over the Cherries.

We looked like a team just capable of beating the drop whilst Bournemouth's performance resembled a comfortable mid Championship team - nothing more!!

How time have changed.

Tbf it would be nice to have a bit of a rivalry with someone, It's not like we're going to be playing them lot down the road any time soon and anything that adds to the atmosphere at games is good with me !

Really? There are various way of looking at things. Transfers..looking at promotion season and the 2 seasons leading up to it (ie this season for B'mouth, a few back for us)

AFCB (in millions)

Buy 3.81 Sell 3.26

Buy 3.57 Sell 0

Buy 1.38 Sell 0.827

So net spend was 4.673m

Saints (in millions)

Buy 4.94 Sell 12.62

Buy 2.63 Sell 0

Buy 2.49 Sell 4.47

So net spend of -7.03m (having spent just £1m more than AFCB)

Wages are always hard to know what's what, but it was on the wireless this morning that they pay pretty decently. In the period of those 3 seasons, they have had 11 loans in and 12 players in on frees. We had 9 loans and 10 frees.

However, I am more than delighted that they have been promoted. Just want Brentford to be able to do it but I can't see Derby losing to Reading, although I guess Ipswich might lose to Blackburn.

You failed to include their share of the Lallana transfer.

Personally I define it as this "a person or thing that is competing for the same object or goal as another, or who tries to equal or outdo another; competitor. "

By that logic everyone in the league is a rival as we are trying to outdo them, be better than them.

As you mention Portsmouth that is a true rivalry that has been developed over a long period of time. We don't dislike each other simply because of our geographical locations. We have a long history together. We have probably played each other competitively around 70-80+ times. We have played Bournemouth twice in the league in the past 55 years. It doesn't have that rivalry because there has been no history to build up. No emotion, no ill will of each other.

While some along the coast may try and hype it up and create a rivalry I myself will remember the good that we did for them. We have sent them countless players, we have had friendlies with them. Let them use our facilities and staff. And as much as they hate it being said we helped them in their need for help financially. These things do not sound like the actions of a rival. Would we do that for Pompey? No chance. When they were in financial **** we just laughed at them.

So as I said it isn't about how close you are to someone. It is about the relationship you have with one another. All my Bournemouth fan friends wish us well and the same goes for my Southampton ones. Our relationship has always been a good one and I have no doubt it will remain that way.

Who knows if Bournemouth establish themselves and stay in the same league as us then that history and emotion can change into something else. But right now they are only a rival in the sense that I want to beat them, get three points and finish above them. No different from Man Utd or Leicester.

Given this relatively friendly and cooperative history, isn't this something we should all be happy about.

They're like a lovable little brother that wants to call us names, but I'm not going to pretend I'm not pleased they're up.

That's because we get to get b0llocksed in New Forest pubs, patronise them and get an easy 6 points, just like in League One. The away match that season was one of the ones I enjoyed the most, along with Brighton (seaside, pubs and 3 points) and Orient (London pubs and 3 points).

Unlikely to get them to beat in the League Cup next season if we make Europe though.

They will not be an easy six points. We are the big game of their season and they will do everything to be ready.

According to a clearly still excited AFCB fan on Facebook, they are now favourites to sign Ings and Austin, Boruc will stay with them and will likely sign Yoshida, Bolasie and Delph....

Alert the media. A fan overreacts to his clubs success. Unprecedented. Also, could you provide a link? It might be fun to read.

A Bournemouth fan here, who lives in Southampton for my sins. Have long flicked through the pages of this site to vaguely keep up on events at Saints, if just to know what the blocks down the local are moaning about! Thought I'd sign up finally, having come across this thread.

In the money v miracle thing - it's a mixture! It's easy to see from the club's history that there has always been a glass ceiling for us towards to top end of the third tier, or at a push the lower reaches of the second flight.

It now goes without saying that Howe is the greatest manager we've ever had (sorry Redknapp). It's speculation, but Howe likely could have taken us into the Championship without the improved budgets afforded by the owners - but there's no chance we could challenge for promotion again without. That said, we have these owners before Howe returned from Burnley, and we were still crap. It's the alliance of proper investment (for the first time in our history) AND the genius of Howe that has made this ridiculous success possible.

On the 'rivalry' thing. You ask different AFCB fans and you'll get different answers - there's certainly going to be a few that have a real bee in their bonnet for Saints. Generally younger lads who've grown up in the mass media age where Saints news is everywhere. But there's also going to be plenty who don't care, and others who actively like Saints. Dare I say it, those who might remember the naughty days where Saints and AFCB would get involved in situations alongside each other.

What I would say though, is that when our fixtures come round and we play each other, as a club we will throw the kitchen sink at Saints. That doesn't mean we hold any hatred for you - we'd just love to get one over on you. Like brothers who get hyper competitive when they're pitched against each other. It's enthusiasm, it's not vitriol.

Otherwise, on the whole we'd wish Saints well (again, the brother analogy). Particularly in Europe next season when it'll have no affect on us and be great for the representation of south coast football if Saints could progress.

In League One when you met us last, Saints were really the only big fish and the only interesting opposition to us. So that all became very concentrated. Every other club down there we'd played a million times over. Next season - almost every club we're going to face is going to be new, bigger, wealthier, and interesting for us to see.

And no matter what happens, you will enjoy the special season you have ahead of you. To me that is the whole point of all of this.

People can be fans of more than one club.

You quoted the only line in the article that seems at all dubious to me. And technically it is true. The "powder keg" of the Bournemouth-Southampton rivalry has never before erupted so it "could be set to erupt like never before." But probably not.

That article has to be the biggest load of ******** i've ever read

You need to read more. Try reading some economic analysis by British politicians who all seem to believe that austerity was a good idea. Now there is a load of multiple asterisks if there ever was one.

Recruiting for a first season in the PL is tough you need PL quality players but convincing them to come to a newly promoted side isn't easy. Best hope is that a good number of your current squad can make the step up and you can get one or two older but experienced PL veterans (dare I say Rickie Lambert).

we were lucky, we have lallana, lambert, fonte, schneiderlin, cork at ours.

we went for top buys in the championship in clyne, rodrigues. Gaston Ramirez was alright in season 1 in the prem. But really, it was the side with 1 or 2 bits of quality bought from the championship that really worked for us.

Best bet for Bournemouth is to do that IMO.

I do feel that the attacking nature of your play will be your downfall if it remains. no way on earth will that succeed over a season in the premier league. just no way

Agree. This was critical.

I've been told Austin is a done deal.

by who, eh? name names!!!

Assuming he is telling the truth, naming a name would get someone fired.

Personally I don't know anyone who isn't glad that Bournemouth came up. Enjoy next season!

There was bit in The Times today about survival after promotion.

'Clubs who come up with a plan stand a chance. It is those who do not - the ones who build sides specifically for promotion, then make a raft of signings, panic, and appoint Harry Redknapp midway through the campaign - who tend not to last.'

Bournemouth, they claim, have such a plan, as did Stoke, Swansea and us :)

Welcome to the forum and the Premier. My best mate supports Bournemouth and I'm made up for him. Excellent analogy as well. It's exactly how I see you guys too.

Anybody who thinks you lot will be an easy game next year is in line for a hiding.

You won't get as many penalties in the Prem though. You have to be charged with at least manslaughter to get one up here

We are a lot better than Burnley, West Brom, and Aston Villa. Give us those missing 10 points and where would we be.

Yep, and Bournemouth tried their very bestest against us in L1 and we beat them three times. They're a good Championship side, but nowhere near our level and not likely to be in the first 6 months of next season.

Willing to bet that we'll face them on one of these dates:

First game of the season

Boxing day

New Years Day

Last game of the season

Willing to bet that we absolutely don't play them on any of those, as they're the specific dates which are prevented from hosting "derby" matches, and that's the closest we've got to one.

Good points about where to buy next season - Its a shame when you have great defenders at Champo level, but you're just not sure if they are going to cut it against some of the forwards in the PL.

Hmm - food for thought, i'm sure Eddie and Jason have a plan, just hope its a good one!

Good points about where to buy next season - Its a shame when you have great defenders at Champo level, but you're just not sure if they are going to cut it against some of the forwards in the PL.

Hmm - food for thought, i'm sure Eddie and Jason have a plan, just hope its a good one!

I can recommend buying Jos Hooiveld.

Delighted to have won the title as well, seeing that trophy held aloft in red and black was some sight.

And one thing I believe Saints have never done? ;)

Now the real hard work begins off the pitch, it'll be a hectic summer if we can get the club into some sort of shape ready for the top flight next season.

Delighted to have won the title as well, seeing that trophy held aloft in red and black was some sight.

And one thing I believe Saints have never done? ;)

Now the real hard work begins off the pitch, it'll be a hectic summer if we can get the club into some sort of shape ready for the top flight next season.

Enjoy it. Summer transfer windows prior to your first PL season are exciting, linked to many players who you'd never have thought you'd see at Bournemouth. I think Howe will go with the spine that he has though, and just supplement it with bits of quality around the edges. That's the best bet rather than wholesale upgrades. (It didn't get QPR anywhere).

How has Surman been for you this year by the way? His best season for us was our top 6 play off season, when the dutch due of Wotte and co got hold of him and played him at left back he tailed off. Always liked him though and I don't believe he's had a fair crack at the PL as yet, with either Norwich or Wolves - so hopefully he gets his chance now.

Sick to death already of the local media's OTT coverage of the 'miracle' Bournemouth story!!

Why? They've done bloody well and achieved more than they could have dreamt of. Let them bask in the glory of their fantastic achievement. If we won the league (PL as our expectations are higher) then we would be going on about it for decades.

Enjoy it. Summer transfer windows prior to your first PL season are exciting, linked to many players who you'd never have thought you'd see at Bournemouth. I think Howe will go with the spine that he has though, and just supplement it with bits of quality around the edges. That's the best bet rather than wholesale upgrades. (It didn't get QPR anywhere).

How has Surman been for you this year by the way? His best season for us was our top 6 play off season, when the dutch due of Wotte and co got hold of him and played him at left back he tailed off. Always liked him though and I don't believe he's had a fair crack at the PL as yet, with either Norwich or Wolves - so hopefully he gets his chance now.

Surman won the "player's player of the year" award and is an important cog in the machine. He knits it all together, rarely losses the ball and does an excellent job at covering the full backs when they fly forward. Very intelligent player tactically and positionally. We hear from Wolves, Norwich and of course Saints fans that he's an excellent Championship player but probably not good enough for the Prem. Well, I'm sure he will get a fair crack at it next season, and maybe we'll find out for sure either way. For 400k from Norwich, he's been superb business so far.

Yep, and Bournemouth tried their very bestest against us in L1 and we beat them three times. They're a good Championship side, but nowhere near our level and not likely to be in the first 6 months of next season.

I agree, particularly when you consider that both teams have exactly the same player/managers and backroom staff as when we played in League 1.