Here come our new 'rivals'...

Saint-Armstrong

How about we give them a tad bit of respect and stop already trying to sign up their team?

Hope they can keep that group together and give it a good go.

Surely a team that was in the top 4 for around 5 months of the season talking about signing their players is the ultimate show of respect ;)

Congratulations Bournemouth. This has been only their fifth ever season at this level. They play some beautiful football and have deserved their chance at the big time. They will certainly be a refreshing change from all the drearydull stuff played at the bottom of the Premier League. Let's hope that they don't get overawed by their visits to the big stadiums but it would be understandable if they couldn't handle a trip to the biggest club of all. ;)

Their preseason friendly at Portsmouth?

Fair play to them.

Sky Sports will no doubt make a big deal of a rivalry that isn't there next season when we play them though.

Their games against us will be the most important games of the season for their fans.

Arsenal? Aston Villa?

Will they be alphabetized by AFC rather than Bou?

Howe 33-1 to be next England manager.

England could do worse. And repeatedly has.

Boruc.

Does this mean scotty=Irene?

How about we give them a tad bit of respect and stop already trying to sign up their team?

Surely a team that was in the top 4 for around 5 months of the season talking about signing their players is the ultimate show of respect ;)

We all know how much Liverpool respects us?

That's our world famous catchment area down the toilet then.

Unless their academy progresses to category one, I don't think it will matter? What rank is their academy btw. My two minutes of intensive googling failed to find the answer.

If they continue to play that style of football, and are shrewd in the transfer market then I reckon they could surprise a few people next year and do alright. They certainly play a better style of football than the likes of Stoke and Sunderland, plus I reckon Dean Court could be a massive advantage to them.

Fair play to them, nice to see a new face in the prem, especially after what they went through not long ago.

If they continue to play that style of football, and are shrewd in the transfer market then I reckon they could surprise a few people next year and do alright. They certainly play a better style of football than the likes of Stoke and Sunderland, plus I reckon Dean Court could be a massive advantage to them.

Fair play to them, nice to see a new face in the prem, especially after what they went through not long ago.

Let's be honest, they are likely to go down again like Blackpool did. Would be great if they stayed up for a few seasons though.

Congratulations to Bournemouth and they certainly deserved it for their performances over the year. I think they could surprise a few people next season as their style of football should be well suited to the Premier League - they press high, have bags of skill and plenty of pace and good movement. With one or two signings they have every chance of having a reasonable first season in the top division. Plus they have Eddie Howe in charge, a guy who quietly goes about his business but has proved to be a top class coach. Our games against them will be interesting that's for sure.

Really fantastic news for the South. We are not alone and that can only be a good thing. Despite living 4 years in Bournemouth during my student days, I have never seen them play or been to their ground. When I recall our pre season game against them I can only think of how well they played against us. Incredible where they stand now at the end of the season and where we ourselves are.

Happiest for Drew and have long wished we'd brought him back to the club. His time has come and I believe he won't screw up this time around.

Why? do other teams give us any respect when they are trying to take our players? Football is dog eat dog if the Saints squad are going to get ripped apart every summer, by bigger clubs, I'm sure as hell not going to be upset about us doing it to other smaller clubs. Only one club I care about and it Bournemouth HTBH.

Well done Bournemouth, listened all night on 5live it was brilliant.

Well done Bournemouth. Watched the game on SS1, it was brilliant.

Scored 3, should have scored 5, could have scored 8 or 9.

For anyone who didn't see any of it, check out Matt Ritchie's goal. Made me purr with delight and wish Steven Davis could finish chances like that.

For those of you saying well done to little Bournemouth and it's great , here are a few facts for you.

They hate us and call us scummers

They love Pompey & particular Twitchy

It is not some sort of fairy story , they pay massive wages and have outspent most clubs in that league .

They are following the Portsmouth model , with a rich Russian bankrolling a Poxy little club .

It makes me laugh that people complain about The Skates and yet another side who do exactly the same thing are praised .

Absolutely amazing achievement. Let's loan them some more players so they have a chance of staying up too

We can only loan them one player at a time under premier league rules, but it would make sense to loan them a young player if we had one that was good enough for them but wouldn't get playing time for us. If we didn't charge them for the loan, we could make the player recallable I believe.

For those of you saying well done to little Bournemouth and it's great , here are a few facts for you.

It is not some sort of fairy story , they pay massive wages and have outspent most clubs in that league .

They are following the Portsmouth model , with a rich Russian bankrolling a Poxy little club .

It makes me laugh that people complain about The Skates and yet another side who do exactly the same thing are praised .

To be fair, the same could all be said about us (except for the name calling, we don't call ourselves those names). We got promoted by paying massive salaries based upon a rich foreigner bankrolling us.

I am not clear now that is the Portsmouth model--at least not now where Portsmouth does not have and claims not to want a rich benefactor.

All three of these local clubs had financial problems in the recent past by spending money they didn't have. I do not see why we can be excused but the others are morally bankrupt.

Edited by Redslo

a) They aren't following the Pompey model if they're actually paying their bills

b) I'm not convinced it does make you laugh

A) Pompey paid their bills at first .

B) "makes me laugh" is a polite way of saying that some of our fan base are deluded if they think this is some sort of fairy tale . I have a mate in the local press and he's amazed they passed the FFP and he's a supporter of the club .

I have the misfortune of living near some of these Boscombe chumps and they're wannabe Skates .

Edited by Lord Duckhunter

Now just need Brentford to join them to complete the convenient Southern away games next season!

That'd be ideal. It'd be a shame that it's not 3 northern clubs going down if it wasn't for QPR being down there.

B) "makes me laugh" is a polite way of saying that some of our fan base are deluded if they think this is some sort of fairy tale . I have a mate in the local press and he's amazed they passed the FFP and he's a supporter of the club .

I have the misfortune of living near some of these Boscombe chumps and they're wannabe Skates .

Who on here has called it a fairy tale? Not many. Most are just pleased for them.

The scummer thing? Yawn. Dealt with that in L1. They want to have a rivalry, we like them.

Wouldn't it be awful if a foreign rich person helped to bankroll promotion? Oh, I'd so hate that.

You are right, it's not really a fairy tale in terms of "poverty stricken football club rises against all the odds" but it is great when a few thousand supporters who have stuck with an unfashionable little club like AFCB get their time in the sun, for whatever reason. If something doesn't happen to flout the normal order every so often what is the point?

I think one of the songs they were singing last night referred to them being above Portsmouth, didnt hear any mention of "scummers" so not 100% sure they "love" the blue few.

They do call us scummers though, they want a rivalry, simple as that.

And on the subject whilst the younger more gobby element call us scummers many of the older Bournemouth fans realise how much Southampton FC did for them when they were in dire straights, including helping them out with their pitch and groundsman duties when they had to sell their equipment etc.

The media love-in will be all over them next season, easy story of plucky club fighting for their FL existence six years ago, talented young English manager, yadda, yadda, yadda.

Not a bad thing as it will take some of the limelight off us and allow Ron to get on with his job in a quieter environment instead of people picking over the bones of our carcass.

Let's see how they cope with Brenda Rodgers fluttering her eyelids at Calum Wilson, Wenger eyeing Kermorgant as Giroud's understudy and their players being picked off.

Of course, as AFC is a feelgood story, there won't be talk of a meltdown as the media won't want to undermine their easy story.

Is it worth starting a sweepstake as to when we see the first story of plucky Cherries battling to hold on to their stars?

You are right, it's not really a fairy tale in terms of "poverty stricken football club rises against all the odds" but it is great when a few thousand supporters who have stuck with an unfashionable little club like AFCB get their time in the sun, for whatever reason. If something doesn't happen to flout the normal order every so often what is the point?

There weren't many of them .

I've lived in Poole the past 20 years and know about 12 season ticket holders. There's only 1 bloke I remember only ever supporting Boscombe , the rest were Liverpool , Chelsea , west Ham & arsenal fans.

I think one of the songs they were singing last night referred to them being above Portsmouth, didnt hear any mention of "scummers" so not 100% sure they "love" the blue few.

They do call us scummers though, they want a rivalry, simple as that.

And on the subject whilst the younger more gobby element call us scummers many of the older Bournemouth fans realise how much Southampton FC did for them when they were in dire straights, including helping them out with their pitch and groundsman duties when they had to sell their equipment etc.

Wishful thinking. Having lived down there in the past, can tell you that young and old call us scummers and have a 'thing' for us.

If they are rather sedate, it's not because of their grasp of history or life's ironies, it's because they are a noddier version of Norwich.

Bournemouth aren't rivals, we've nothing against them, I wish them well (except against us) and they are going to need all the help they can get. With the demise of the cheats down the road the South Coast needed a boost from a decent lot, well done Bournemouth but i still can't quite believe it!

Wishful thinking. Having lived down there in the past, can tell you that young and old call us scummers and have a 'thing' for us.

If they are rather sedate, it's not because of their grasp of history or life's ironies, it's because they are a noddier version of Norwich.

Well I can only speak as I find, I have lived there for nearly 20 years now and whilst some of them dis-like us there are a fair few I speak to who are more than fair and look out for our results etc in the same way many Saints fans do with them.

No rivalry from me, was pleased to see such a small club win promotion to the top flight. I'm already anticipating the one-liners that Sky and the MoTD team will be coming out with. Something about pluckiness Im imagine.

Hopefully we'll smash them off the pitch, but that's a given for any team we play.

that sound you can hear is Harry Redknapp's old typewriter. 'Triffic news, guys. Can oi be yer new chair man pliz? I can get you loads of fings like playuz. and it is close to where i live as well. Love, Harry'

I`m especially pleased for Andy Surman, sold by us to Wolves in 2009 for £1.2million. That cash injection just about kept us `alive` at the most difficult of times and I had the impression that the sale, whilst good for the club, was really against Andy`s wishes - he was quoted at the time as saying he left Southampton `with a heavy heart.`

It`s good to see him back in the Premier League and good luck to him and to Bournemouth. They`ve been where we`ve been and we should be pleased for them that it`s all come good.

Edited by Snopper
minor amendments