SFC Awards 2015

Saint-Armstrong

Victor Wanyama...

"I'm surprised I am here receiving this award, from Terry, is just great! He's a legend."

"It's really great for me, it's difficult coming from Kenya and ending up in a great league and a team as good as Southampton. It's the best thing I could ever wish for."

"I am really delighted to be here in Southampton."

Asante sana, Victor Wanyama

José Fonte...

"It means everything. I joined five years ago, when we were in League One. The journey we have been on together, has been quite amazing. Since the first minute I felt this was my home. I found my place. The fact is, I strived and I improved every year. Only with the help of these great supporters, all my teammates, and my managers - have I been able to do this."

"I'm not going to be a hypocrite. I had my doubts. I was scared and I was afraid we would be in trouble. When I saw the appointment of the manager, I felt it was a massive step in the right direction. The board did a great job. Katharina, Ralph and Les Reed did a very, very good job. The fact is, when the gaffer sat down and we spoke and he told me about his plans. I saw how relaxed and calm he always is. I was confident we would be alright."

"After that, with a few impressive signings. Tadić, Pellè and then Ryan, and then some more... and then Morgan stayed!" *loud cheers in the room*

"I'm not going to lie, being the captain is one of the greatest honours. I am pleased the gaffer gave me this responsibility. I am still learning, this is still my first season as captain. I want to help my club and help my teammates."

"I'm an ambitious person and I've always had that (European football) in my mind. I've always had the ambition and the dream to play for Portugal. I've managed to achieve that with the help of my teammates, so a big thank you to them and all the managers who have made me better."

"We still have one game left, and we want to go there and get the job done so we finish in a higher position."

"Many other players could be here and win this trophy. It's very, very difficult to pick a player this season. It was only possible with everyone. It was a special day - six-one. In one game, we showed what this club can do. It was a special day, great day and great goals."

Favourite Moment: "The Man United game. You were jinxing it for a long time, Ed! It was a special moment. One-nil and a clean sheet at Old Trafford - it was a big day."

Do all clubs have these award ceremonies nowadays?

I saw that Liverpool had one yesterday, don't remember them being common place a few years ago.

Always done, but the world of twitter/facebook/youtube throw it into the media light a lot more.

Ralf's speech prompted me to stop watching. The guy may bring a lot to the party in some form or another but his public speaking is anodyne in the extreme.

As an aside, would it be too difficult for someone to help the players dress properly? If it's black-tie then wear a ****ing bow-tie for goodness sake.

As for the blue monstrosity presenting the award earlier... :mcinnes:

Standards, people. Standards.

I'm hoping that Ralph comes across better if you're there. You tube mutes a lot of the audience reaction which makes it sound lamer than it probably really is. Does seem to be popular but still needs to learn the British 'less is more' philosophy.

I won't knock him too much as his speech when we opened the ML pavilion was truly outstanding.

Ralph Krueger now heading on stage...

"Thinking about this season, I was thinking I would need the space of Kelvin Davis' speech - which last 299 matches!"

"All the things we were able to experience in this season, were not easy to shorten. But I've put it into one package."

"(Names several of the organisers of the night and calls for applause)"

"I'd like to thank Veho, our main kit sponsor."

"One of the things I learned early in life is - if you're going to build a leadership team, surround yourself with good people who treat others with respect before a leadership position."

"I need to begin by mentioning the leadership in the rest of the club, away from football. Gareth Rogers, David Bence and Martin Semmons... pushing us to new levels where we can continue to grow beyond the pitch."

"We have the leadership in football: Les Reed - wow!"

"Of course, he shakes his head as the first thing. It's amazing when you can bring people from within. Gareth Rogers came from within. Les was here five years ago, he came from within to take a higher role."

"Leaders go into the environment, and ask what is best for the team they are leading. Our football people go into the stadium and the training ground, and all these people ask is 'What's best for Southampton Football Club?'"

"How can you have fear, when you're doing that for a club like this?"

"The leadership on the pitch - Ronald, supported by brother Erwin, Sammy, David, Jan... the leadership we saw there, through difficulties, we saw leadership. It was a damn difficult summer. We could've crashed. That's when you find out what you're made of. It's been an amazing leadership job. I had the opportunity to travel with the team so much this year, and just to be able to sit back and watch everyone do what they're good at and bring it to the team on a daily basis was incredible."

"In the dressing room, what happens when the coaches leave the room, and when the Sporting Director is not around - that's decided by the people in the room. Your best players, your captains. How good are Kelvin Davis and José Fonte?"

"It's honesty that brought us forwards. Of course we were all scared ****less, at times. José has already mentioned it. We're all human beings and we all have fear of failure at times."

"I remember when I could name all the new guys on the block, everybody stood up taller, and taller, and taller - at the end of August. Finally the end came around and Les Reed had no hair left! But we had one hell of a football team. It's a good price to pay, Les."

"What I can tell you is, the one world that has absolutely no threat from this team, is Ice Hockey!"

"It is leadership that has laid the foundations for a fantastic season."

"Nothing ever replaces winning in sport - we could feel that after the home match on Saturday."

"One match that sticks out to me, and I'm a new guy in football, was our West Ham game in West Ham. We played an amazing match in Liverpool and we lost undeservedly. We came up a little flat against West Brom. Against West Ham, we're down 1-0. Morgan scores, the team goes in at 1-1. The team and Ronald could've said 'let's take that point'. But what did they do? Talk about winning the game. In the 68th minute, Morgan scores again. Then Graziano scores in the 83rd and we win 3-1. We win three of four, eight of nine."

"If Ronald chose not to take risks, not to play to win - it wouldn't happen. This is a group that goes out every single day, to win. It's going to be the same this weekend."

"We're not guaranteed to win all the time, but this is a group that is paying the price in practice and team-building to work for each other. One of the things we measure ourselves on is 'are we close to our potential?'"

"Another moment for me was the Everton match. It was the 20th of December, we'd just lost 4 matches in a row after quite a good run. Morgan suspended, Victor suspended, Gardos out, Tadić out. The bench was decimated. We had Gape, Seager, McCarthy and Harrison Reed starting his first match."

"Harrison, I've got a story for you. Les kept pretending you were his son! He came in one game and said 'my son is warming up!' - I said, that's great - how much does your son get paid?"

"Harrison started with Davo and Prowsey in the midfield - I know a lot about football these days, see! It's the centre, the second row - the second set of guys!"

"We beat Everton three-nil and took 17 of the next 18 points. We beat Arsenal, we beat United, we tied Chelsea and the team made a decision in that Everton match. They rose to the challenge and turned that season back around. We stayed in the mix."

"This brand is spreading around the world. People notice Southampton Football Club. It's on the map around the world right now."

"Winning is in the culture now. We never wanted to look back, when people wanted us to look backwards. We kept looking forward."

"After speaking about winning, and we all realise that's what we're trying to give our fans on a daily basis, the final thing is potential."

"There's two types of athletes in the world, two types of teams, two types of people. Those who think they know it all and are the best, and those who think every day they can continue to improve and be the best."

"Two players are very special. If you look at what Graziano Pellè and José Fonte did, Graziano at 29 and José at 30, made their national sides - Italy and Portugal. Two of the great footballing nations in the world."

"Why did they do that? Why was that possible? Because when they came to Southampton, José five years ago and Graziano last year. It doesn't matter when you come to Southampton Football Club, this is a place that can give you the tools to become better."

"I think those two accomplishments, were amazing accomplishments. That's what potential is about."

"We are the Saints. It's not just a name, it's who we are. And one thing we do, looking forward, is that one thing we all know - is there is not one person in this organisation who isn't going into next season looking to become better."

"I wish everyone the best, and let's continue to enjoy this ride."

"We've only just begun. On the 5th of November last year, the Markus Liebherr Pavilion was opened. It was one of the highlights. In closing, here, I need to speak about that situation."

"In finishing, the Markus Liebherr Pavilion opened."

"Markus Liebherr saved this club in 2009. I think it's very, very important for me to just say one more thing."

"Markus Liebherr would've been extremely proud of this Southampton Football Club. The values we have in this club now. It's easy to speak about those values, it's a lot different to do them. But we are doing it. Markus Liebherr would be proud of that. Our teams of all different ages have been winning cups, experiencing new records - he would be happy."

"But, above all, he would be very, very proud of his daughter - Katharina Liebherr." - *Katharina given standing ovation*

*'Walking in a Liebherr wonderland' breaks out* - Katharina shown to be smiling

"Let's have an outstanding off-season, and let's come back hungry in August!"

Can't stand listening to Americans/Candians talking about soccerball. Cringey. Some horrendously drawn out speeches there.

Biggest cheer of the night was when Jose mentioned Morgan staying by the sounds of it.

The coverage was very good I thought, awards were fair and well deserved. Pelle's goal would have shaded it for me though...!

Was it just me, or did this evening feel a lot more ''honest'' than last year's? Obviously with hindsight you can say that now, but you always got the feeling that it would be a few of those players last hurrahs. I remember Lallana's interview being dissected quite a bit, and that was even before there was any serious Liverpool interest.