Jordy Clasie Signs - Official

Saint-Armstrong

I work in comms too, hence how I know. If you make a journalist look like a fool, it could come back to haunt you.

Oh please. Journalists are many things but they're not such delicate flowers. Besides, there's a hierarchy of journos, in football reporting as in anything else; if you're 'in comms' you should know that.

On topic, I hope to hell this signing happens.

Oh please. Journalists are many things but they're not such delicate flowers. Besides, there's a hierarchy of journos, in football reporting as in anything else; if you're 'in comms' you should know that.

On topic, I hope to hell this signing happens.

Most journos, I know, have long memories and thin skin. A prI ckly, narcissistic bunch as you're likely to meet.

Can you link to an article from Crook that provides evidence that he has good football contacts and isn't a rehash of something someone else has put on the internet for him to source and not credit?

Could you write a book or run a news agency if you didn't have contacts? You wouldn't get very far.

You didn't answer my question.

There is a big difference between contacting ex Saints players asking them to recount their favourite game and having good current contacts at the club or agents who feed you things.

Edited by Matthew Le God

Still will feel disappointed if we sign Clasie as a Morgan replacement, maybe has the vision.. but just not the defensive capabilities. I'm welcome to be proved wrong though.

You don't need to be proved wrong. We don't need two holding midfielders. Having Scheiderlin and Wanyama was always a huge luxury defensively, but came at the expense of attack.

We don't need two holding midfielders. Having Scheiderlin and Wanyama was always a huge luxury defensively, but came at the expense of attack.

If using a 4-2-3-1 you need two defensive minded players in central midfield in order to allow for very attacking fullbacks and the creative freedom of the attacking midfielders. If we regularly played with a more attacking player alongside Wanyama we'd be exposed defensively and would cost us points.

Last season in the Premier League Southampton had the...

- 2nd best defensive record

- 6th best goalscoring record

- 5th best goal difference

The system we used last season clearly worked well.

Edited by Matthew Le God

If using a 4-2-3-1 you need two defensive minded players in central midfield in order to allow for very attacking fullbacks and the creative freedom of the attacking midfielders. If we regularly played with a more attacking player alongside Wanyama we'd be exposed defensively and would cost us points.

You'd be right if the third central midfielder in our system was an out-and-out attacker, but Davis and JWP both play as 'water-carriers' in the Deschamps mould, rather than as number 10s, contributing a lot more to pressing/harrying in the middle and defensive thirds than they do to creating/scoring up front (yes, JWP's 6 assists are promising, but no, they don't disprove my point).

Surely you can also accept that our 6th place goalscoring record was rather burnished by two very large home wins against defensively frail opposition, which have contrived to disguise our less-than-stellar back-end to the season, when, for example, we managed a solitary goal in five league games during February?

Lol this dude is shorter than Marian Pahars

So were Alan Ball, and Xavi.

But Classie is 1" taller than Paul Scholes.

Providing we don't become a team of midgets I'm not too worried about it as far as Classie is concerned, he'll bring a lot to the team.

Edited by Badger

You'd be right if the third central midfielder in our system was an out-and-out attacker, but Davis and JWP both play as 'water-carriers' in the Deschamps mould, rather than as number 10s, contributing a lot more to pressing/harrying in the middle and defensive thirds than they do to creating/scoring up front (yes, JWP's 6 assists are promising, but no, they don't disprove my point).

Surely you can also accept that our 6th place goalscoring record was rather burnished by two very large home wins against defensively frail opposition, which have contrived to disguise our less-than-stellar back-end to the season, when, for example, we managed a solitary goal in five league games during February?

No he can't. That's why he persistently ignores it and only answers the questions he, yet nobody else, asks.

Absolute steel if we pull this off for the rumoured £10m........check out scout nation on you tube......this guy has great vision, positional awareness, tenacity and passing ability.....and just 24 yrs old........#Awesomesigning#WeMarchOn

I imagine there are a few clauses in that, which will bump it up a bit. But that really is a snip, when you consider someone like Rodwell set Sunderland back £12m last summer.

Sounds like this is now moving very, very fast though. Going by the rate it's going, I'd say we could see an announcement early next week.

I imagine there are a few clauses in that, which will bump it up a bit. But that really is a snip, when you consider someone like Rodwell set Sunderland back £12m last summer.

Sounds like this is now moving very, very fast though. Going by the rate it's going, I'd say we could see an announcement early next week.

Also for Saints they will basically make approx 12m on Morgan even after having replaced him. Should be able to fund a decent CB and maybe another CM from that.

Another summer where we quite possibly will have improved the squad without actually spending any money other than what we have received through sales.

With the bumper TV cash and a good finish last season, we must be making a decent bit of cash which is a good model.

Is it just me or is he nothing like Morgan? Looks more box to box / AM...

Don't let that video misguide you, Clasie doesn't appear that much in the opponents box in reality and he seldomly shoots at the opponents goal, let alone scoring a goal... He is an outstanding DM for Feyenoord however and like someone else wrote above: he has vision and passing ability. He deserves a move to a better competition in order to make progress and if it's going to be the PL, Southampton would be the right club for him because of Koeman and because of the way the Saints like to play and how the team is build up. I only hope that the Saints will pay at least 9 million pounds because he's surely worth it and because Feyenoord needs the money to get replacements for the defense.

What we desperately lack is a midfielder who can pick out the runs of our forwards to like to try and get in behind (JRod and Mane in particular). Clasie appear to have that in his locker in abundance. He is also decent in the CDM stats too. Would be very happy if we signed him. That would be 3 young international (Holland, Portugal and Spain) signings.

What a vile, arrogant club Feyehampton are. Why do they think they can just pick off our players as and when it suits them? They should develop their own. I don't mind Claise leaving but to anyone but them. They got our manager and our centre forward now they're taking the p*ss.

Feyehampton clearly lack the imagination to develop their own strategy and system so they are stealing ours. Horrible arrogant club with deluded fans.

Genuine lol on the train home there and got some funny looks.

Still makes a change from burnampton

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ah the obligatory YouTube clips. That didn't take long!

Steve de Ridder looks quite good in some videos I've seen, let's give him another go...

SDR wasn't (and still isn't!) a well capped international with World Cup semi finals and champions league experience. We're buying quality here...he doesn't really need any videos for validation!

Don't let that video misguide you, Clasie doesn't appear that much in the opponents box in reality and he seldomly shoots at the opponents goal, let alone scoring a goal... He is an outstanding DM for Feyenoord however and like someone else wrote above: he has vision and passing ability. He deserves a move to a better competition in order to make progress and if it's going to be the PL, Southampton would be the right club for him because of Koeman and because of the way the Saints like to play and how the team is build up. I only hope that the Saints will pay at least 9 million pounds because he's surely worth it and because Feyenoord needs the money to get replacements for the defense.

From what I've seen £9 million would be a bargain for us! Would leave more than half the Schneiderlin money for a new CB

From what I've seen £9 million would be a bargain for us! Would leave more than half the Schneiderlin money for a new CB

Yup, it's way to less and it's clear example of Dutch football going down hill. An even better example was Luiz Suarez who was bought for 18 million pounds by Liverpool while they bought Andy Carroll for 28m I believe. There's one exception and that is Daley Blind. Manu payed way too much due to van Gaal off course...

From what i've seen of him he's the key cog in Feyenoord's midfield, same as Schneiderlin is for us. He has a different set of attributes to Morgan but he is undoubtedly a quality player and I think he could flourish here. As for where he'd fit into our team, that's a slightly different matter. His lack of physicality is one downside but tbh he doesn't need to be 6'5" and built like a sh!thouse to perform well in his role. A compromise might be to change our style and formation slightly to fit in with this.

On the last day against Man City we switched to almost a 4-1-4-1 formation when JWP came on which worked pretty well and nearly allowed us to snatch a result at the Etihad. I could see him fitting into that kind of formation as it would allow him more protection:

-------------STEKELENBURG------------

CEDRIC----FONTE----NEW CB----B'RAND

--------------WANYAMA---------------

JAYROD---CLASIE----PROWSEY---MANE

----------------PELLE-----------------

I quite like that formation because it can give us the solidity of a flat 4 in midfield (with an anchor man behind) for when we're under siege, but also the fluidity to become a 4-3-3 when on the attack as the wingers push up to support the striker. Thoughts?

From what i've seen of him he's the key cog in Feyenoord's midfield, same as Schneiderlin is for us. He has a different set of attributes to Morgan but he is undoubtedly a quality player and I think he could flourish here. As for where he'd fit into our team, that's a slightly different matter. His lack of physicality is one downside but tbh he doesn't need to be 6'5" and built like a sh!thouse to perform well in his role. A compromise might be to change our style and formation slightly to fit in with this.

On the last day against Man City we switched to almost a 4-1-4-1 formation when JWP came on which worked pretty well and nearly allowed us to snatch a result at the Etihad. I could see him fitting into that kind of formation as it would allow him more protection:

-------------STEKELENBURG------------

CEDRIC----FONTE----NEW CB----B'RAND

--------------WANYAMA---------------

JAYROD---CLASIE----PROWSEY---MANE

----------------PELLE-----------------

I quite like that formation because it can give us the solidity of a flat 4 in midfield (with an anchor man behind) for when we're under siege, but also the fluidity to become a 4-3-3 when on the attack as the wingers push up to support the striker. Thoughts?

Interesting but I'd swap JWP for Tadic.

All this talk of Schniederlin money did I miss his sale over the weekend. With Manure getting Schwiensteiger (sp) are they still looking at Morgan. Have we had bids that we will accept yet. Perhaps he is being purchased as an addition than a replacement.

All this talk of Schniederlin money did I miss his sale over the weekend. With Manure getting Schwiensteiger (sp) are they still looking at Morgan. Have we had bids that we will accept yet. Perhaps he is being purchased as an addition than a replacement.

According to De Telegraf deal for Morgan completed tomorrow. ....

No you don't, it's a myth. What you need more than anything in midfield in a 4231 is balance. IMO it works much better with a double pivot next to a destroyer. Or even a box to box next to Wanyama. Someone in the mold of Cambiasso in his peak days would be good next to Wanyama.

Chelsea use the double pivot to perfection imo. Matic usually sits deeper to allow Fabregas to start attacks from deep. Modric is another fine example of that sort of player.

Yes two defensive minded cm worked very well for us but we suffered in attack at times, especially against teams that played a high line.

No you don't, it's a myth. What you need more than anything in midfield in a 4231 is balance. IMO it works much better with a double pivot next to a destroyer. Or even a box to box next to Wanyama. Someone in the mold of Cambiasso in his peak days would be good next to Wanyama.

Chelsea use the double pivot to perfection imo. Matic usually sits deeper to allow Fabregas to start attacks from deep. Modric is another fine example of that sort of player.

Yes two defensive minded cm worked very well for us but we suffered in attack at times, especially against teams that played a high line.

Completely agree with this

Having Scheiderlin and Wanyama was always a huge luxury defensively, but came at the expense of attack.

Completely agree with this

In Mourinho's system Chelsea's full backs aren't given the same license to attack that Southampton's are. This means it frees them to have a more attacking player alongside Matic as the fullbacks are less likely to be exposed. Southampton use Schnedierlin and Wanyama to cover for the fullbacks, take one of them out and it leaves Saints vulnerable.

In Mourinho's system Chelsea's full backs aren't given the same license to attack that Southampton's are. This means it frees them to have a more attacking player alongside Matic as the fullbacks are less likely to be exposed. Southampton use Schnedierlin and Wanyama to cover for the fullbacks, take one of them out and it leaves Saints vulnerable.

Ivanovic is one of the most attack minded fullbacks in the league, as was Cole, Azpilicueta, Felipe luis ect. Like I said, you don't need two defensive minded midfielders in a 4231. It's about your fullbacks and midfielders having a good understanding of knowing when to press and when to sit back, tuck in etc.

Ivanovic is one of the most attack minded fullbacks in the league, as was Cole, Azpilicueta, Felipe luis ect. Like I said, you don't need two defensive minded midfielders in a 4231. It's about your fullbacks and midfielders having a good understanding of knowing when to press and when to sit back, tuck in etc.

With Chelsea, it's about the willingness of the wide players to track back and cover the fullbacks. One reason why Mourinho famously preferred Oscar over Mata. That also freed up the central midfielders.

I always find threads like this interesting when you have a discussion between run-of-the-mill fans (like me and most of the other posters on this thread) who know lots of facts but little about the mechanics of how the game works, and people like Shance who clearly have a deeper understanding of the sport.

It makes for very asymmetric discussions like this one.

We need more Youtube videos to push this through!

Hadn't seen anything of him until this video. I have 2 comments:

1) he loves to set up a goal or 2. Very welcome.

2) he sports a good Mohawk which is surely a sign of a top quality player