Wanyama Transfer Rumours - Summer 2015 Edition

brett24

The fact that Levy didn't back the deals that Pochettino wanted with decent offers, is surely an indication that Pochettino is going to be under immense pressure to produce in the coming months. For some reason Levy held back on paying silly money where one would have expected him to back Pochettino to the hilt if he really believed Mauricio was going to produce. We may get the laugh laugh yet.

I believe the first draft was so derisory it caused the Wanyama crises in the first place...Yet another happy and settled player wanting to get the hell out out of Dodge the moment they have direct dealings with Reed and Rodgers...The list continues to grow and grow

You've let us all down this year, we were relying on you to save us.

The new TV money means clubs no longer have to sell' date=' but Spurs are miles bigger than us financially. Turnover of £180m vs. our £104m in the latest filed accounts (despite only a few league positions different between us that season) shows they have far more financial clout than us.[/quote']

I think also FFP means essentially we're not ALLOWED to compete in terms of wages with the 'biggest' clubs even if we want to. And that can make a difference also.

The fact that Levy didn't back the deals that Pochettino wanted with decent offers, is surely an indication that Pochettino is going to be under immense pressure to produce in the coming months. For some reason Levy held back on paying silly money where one would have expected him to back Pochettino to the hilt if he really believed Mauricio was going to produce. We may get the laugh laugh yet.

You may be right but I reckon it's more a case that he thought he could get his targets on the cheap if he could get them to hand in transfer requests, whilst ensuring he unsettled them and making their current clubs look like the bad guys.

Didn't someone on here say the offer from Spurs was 20m inc Townsend, who they rate as a 10m player ?

Doesn't really matter how much they offer that close to the end of the window because we wouldn't have time to get in a decent replacement......unless Spurs were suggesting we play Townsend as a holding midfielder:?

Didn't someone on here say the offer from Spurs was 20m inc Townsend, who they rate as a 10m player ?

There was talk of him or Lamela as a loan which we wouldn't have been able to do anyway. By the looks of things, the cash offer was less than what we paid for him.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3220064/Victor-Wanyama-set-snub-new-deal-Southampton-denied-Tottenham-move.html

I now find Simon Jones's articles genuinely quite amusing. It must be strange being known as a toady and be at the beck and call of someone like Levy. Does the man have no self esteem and instead is happy to prostitute himself to anyone who will pay him a piece of silver? It may well turn out to be true, but **** me, the contract supposedly has only just been offered.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3220064/Victor-Wanyama-set-snub-new-deal-Southampton-denied-Tottenham-move.html

I now find Simon Jones's articles genuinely quite amusing. It must be strange being known as a toady and be at the beck and call of someone like Levy. Does the man have no self esteem and instead is happy to prostitute himself to anyone who will pay him a piece of silver? It may well turn out to be true, but **** me, the contract supposedly has only just been offered.

That's a perfectly fine football story by a perfectly fine reporter, with at least three sources including, you'll note, Les Reed, whose quote sheds some useful light.

This is particularly interesting: "'Maybe it got a little bit too hyped up and maybe Victor thought there was a bit more truth in the rumours than there was."

Wanyama's camp and Tottenham. The Daily Star might run with Tottenham's word on how Wanyama's feeling, but the Mail doesn't.

Nope, the only source is Reed. The rest is speculation. It might or might not be accurate, but you cannot and have not shown where any other source is.

Journalists don't always name sources. They should where possible, but that's difficult in football transfer stories - not least because a reliable source close to Wanyama might well be a personal friend, team mate or even coach.

In fact, maybe I'm wrong about the number of sources. You never know, Reed may have given Jones the quote, then said, as long as it wasn't attributed to him, that Wanyama didn't want to sign.

Whatever you think of the Mail's news, it would be unlike them to run a sports story like that without good sources at Saints and Tottenham.

Edited by DuncanRG

Journalists don't always name sources. They should where possible, but that's difficult in football transfer stories - not least because a reliable source close to Wanyama might well be a personal friend, team mate or even coach.

In fact, maybe I'm wrong about the number of sources. You never know, Reed may have given Jones the quote, then said, as long as it wasn't attributed to him, that Wanyama didn't want to sign.

Whatever you think of the Mail's news, it would be unlike them to run a sports story like that without good sources.

So there is just one source quoted then. Not 3. He may well have spoken to Spurs, that's what I initially said. Why do you think it is true?

So there is just one source quoted then. Not 3.

Mmm. You've added a word there.

He may well have spoken to Spurs, that's what I initially said. Why do you think it is true?

Be fair, you said he was at the beck and call of Daniel Levy and suggested he was whoring himself out. I think it's true because it's written by a decent reporter, that's all. It may not be the whole truth but it plainly wasn't paid for by Daniel Levy or anyone other than, er, the Mail.

Besides, would you really expect Wanyama to sign a five-year contract at Southampton right now? I'd be less inclined to believe a story about him signing, to be honest.

I had some great sources during the many takeover pre admin. People supposedly involved. It turned out to be bull ****

I had some great sources during the Admin period. People supposedly involved. It turned out to be bull ****.

Papers quote sources close to.... more bull ****.

Deal with facts and not sources. We already had our two domestic loans. Fact is we could not take more. Spurs would know that so again the sources are bull ****

Judge each source on its merit.

'Sources' can't be generalised. Some will be good, some bad.

You don't need quotes and won't always get them you just need to realise which sources to believe.

Jeremy Wilson for example is widely acknowledged as reliable re Saints. He never quotes his sources directly, but we know they are good. Likewise Simon Peach.

Edited by Saint Charlie

Loving the Spurs fans comments. "Not us guv, we dont make anything public".

Love the comment - "little club with with ideas above their station". Oh the irony.

Ignoring the rather unattractive arrogance of it, Spurs find themselves in a strange position. They are one of the biggest clubs in Europe and in most leagues, their financial position would mean that they would/should have the resources to qualify for the CL every year. But unlike other leagues, there are 5 other clubs that are far bigger than them. So what is their station? 5th or more likely 6th. They refuse to accept that, and maybe their recent few finishes of 4th has exacerbated over inflated expectations. I know that they like to think that they are the equals to their neighbours, but really, they are closer in stature to West Ham than Arsenal.

As for not them releasing, it would be good for us little clubs to actually come together and say what went on. I think it safe to say that both us and WBA are not on the best of terms with Spurs. It might be petty and undignified, but Spurs should be held to account if they have been playing dirty. Certainly they don't come out of this very well.

I believe the first draft was so derisory it caused the Wanyama crises in the first place...Yet another happy and settled player wanting to get the hell out out of Dodge the moment they have direct dealings with Reed and Rodgers...The list continues to grow and grow

Can you please provide your evidence for saying that these players are happy and settled before they have dealings with Reed and Rodgers? Who else is on this list of yours? I imagine that Koeman has a lot to do with Reed and Rodgers. Does he want out of "Dodge" too? You seem to have a lot of inside information. Please share.

IS it though? With the new TV money, aren't all clubs getting closer to each other, with the obvious exceptions of the Manchester clubs and possibly the other "big" 3?

The figures of expenditure are quite scary and the gap is huge between the top clubs and the rest. Even though Spuds aren't top 4 I think they still pay higher wages than the likes of us.

I am not long out of bed and still rubbing the sleep from my eyes which is probably why I cant see the logic in perfectly happy players only wanting to leave when they have dealings with Reed and Rodgers.

a) I assume they have dealings with Reed before they sign. If he was that bad why would they sign in the first place?

b) So it has nothing to do with playing CL football for a top 4 club?

c) So it has nothing to do with a vastly inflated pay packet?

d) So it has nothing to do with a greater chance of winning the league/cups?

e) So "perfectly happy players" never dream of playing on a bigger stage and are perfectly happy to stay where they are until they have a meeting with one of two club officials and then their whole attitude changes?

I might be wrong, but I think that statement is utter rubbish St George.

http://www.capitalfm.co.ke/sports/2015/09/03/wanyama-is-now-a-focused-happy-saint/?

NAIROBI, September 3- Harambee Stars captain, Victor Wanyama, is happy to play out the campaign at Southampton after a proposed move to north London giants, Tottenham Hotspurs, fell through on transfer deadline day Monday.

Wanyama, who delayed his arrival to link up with the squad that will play Zambia in a 2017 Nations Cup qualifier on Sunday, in a bid to push his exit from the Saint Mary’s, said Thursday he was now focused on re-claiming his place in Ronald Koeman’s side.

The Southampton boss did not field him in their last two games including last weekend’s 3-0 victory over Norwich that kick-started their English Premier League campaign claiming the Kenyan midfield star was not in the right frame of mind.

Wanyama hit the headlines when he handed in a transfer request last Friday to force a move from the club.

“I will fully concentrate on Southampton since I have a contract with them running. It didn’t affect me in any way. I’m still a Southampton player and I will give my best when I go back and hopefully, we will win more games.

“It has been difficult for the team when I was away but things will be alright. These things happen but I’m good to go,” the former Glasgow Celtic player said after joining head coach Bobby Williamson’s Stars on Thursday morning.

With the collapsed move now behind the Kenyan captain, Wanyama expressed disappointment with the Saints’ failure to qualify for the group stages of the UEFA Europa League after the club exceeded all expectations to finish in European places last season.

“Our intention was to do well in the play-offs in my first appearance in the tournament but we have to focus to return to Europe next season,” the most expensive Kenyan footballer in history after moving across the English border from Celtic to Southampton for 10 million pounds expressed.

“It was disappointing but we have to move on. We have a young team and we had to get experience and come next season we hope it will be better,” he added.

Denmark champions, FC Midtjylland, caused an upset when they fell the fancied Saints 2-1 on aggregate after a nail-biting second leg 1-0 reverse on August 27 in the away leg.

It was the first crucial tie for Wanyama to miss before he was also omitted from the Norwich squad where a Dusan Tadic double added to Graziano Pelle’s opener to give Southampton a first victory of the season last Saturday.

Wanyama was keen to reunite with the manager who brought him to England, Mauricio Pochettino who left the Saints at the end of the season before last to take charge at White Hart Lane.

However, Koeman and chairman Ralph Krueger, stuck to their guns insisting the midfield dynamo was not on sale with the manager urging Wanyama to emulate his former teammate, Morgan Schneiderlin, and stop trying to force a move to Spurs.

The Dutch boss told the Kenyan captain that his friend Schneiderlin was happier now after joining giants Manchester United in the close season after his move to Spurs collapsed the previous summer when Pochettino left Saint Mary’s stadium.

“It was important to get the win against Norwich; we needed it because we started badly and we are on our way up and hopefully, we will keep our momentum going.

“Our aim is to get better than last season so hopefully we will work hard,” the midfielder summed.

It's all part of a face saving exercise which I guess started with that shrewd interview by Les Reed saying he didn't blame the player etc. Portraying VW as a victim of greedy agents , biased media and an unscrupulous Levy allowed the narrative to be crafted which hopefully will give VW the chance to rehabilitate himself and dig himself out of a hole.

.....On the other hand VW may just not give a shxt what people think!

Spurs fans must be deluded if they believe the rubbish given to journalists via their PR.

Simon Jones is the Spurs journo and here he is interfering again in our business.

Journos depend on getting their names attached to big stories, but in the end they end up " whoring " for one of the "so-called " big clubs and feed off all the tid-bits that they are fed, and then publish it as gospel.. Let's face it ...no-one wants have to report on Millwall's U21 side when they can put a " big name club" on their byline.

If a player is "getting out of line" that club's Board can feed "misinformation" to the journo saying that; the club isn't satisfied with his performances, or he's a bad influence in the dressing-room etc. It's just another way of keeping them in line. Spurs must have known that we would reject a £10 million offer for Victor (who cost over £12 million), but in so doing they can " make a story " that we rejected their offer and we refused to let the player go ....resulting in said player getting upset!

It's the same method that the old film bosses used in Hollywood. Anyone complaining about their contract was quickly put down by one of the "poison pen " journos who had the ear of the studio .....and they would write a pack of lies saying how difficult he was to work with, or no-one liked him ....just to keep the star in their place.

Amused by his "disappointment" at us not qualifying for the groups. Presumably he would also have been disappointed had we ended up with a loss against Norwich too.

But he was happy to make himself unavailable to play on either occasion - head up his a**e for Norwich and although we were told about his stomach illness for the Europa game, its hard not to assume the same reason applies to that one too.

He'll be back in the side shortly, and on merit as he is a good player for us, but it is going to bug that he showed such as a lack of commitment prior to handing in a transfer request