Watford 0-0 Saints Post Match

ALWAYS_SFC

I think Koeman has in mind a 1-3-4-2-1 system using Fonte, Caulker and VVD and wing backs.

The9 I await your reply.

By the way my team played a 1-4-3-2-1 Christmas tree system with fast conditioned full backs and won 7-0 in the Toto Cup.

But I don't know what I'm doing.

LOL

You clearly don't know what you're doing .. the GK isn't listed in an x-y-z formation stylee. I had to read your post 3 times before it made any mathematical (or football) sense at all ...

He needs to take a few more chances, he's playing within himself. At the same age Schneiderlin was bossing games for us admittedly at a lower level.

If he can develop into a proper attacking midfielder he could be gold as his set pieces are brilliant, he's just not really effecting games atm.

How many goals have we scored from his " brilliant " set pieces . Another myth .

TIME FOR DRASTIC ACTION!

(Removes any trace of Saints from fantasy league team)

An improvement in terms of solidity, but another weak effort from Saints today. As the team develops I believe we will get back to a decent level of defence, although possibly slightly weaker than last year. I don't see any signs that we will fix our blunt attack however, which hasn't been firing since about March (barring the day Tim Sherwood decided to field 11 mannequins). We seem to have the right players in place, but are unable to get the best out of them up front.

A team in development we will be fine, if a little uninspiring.

I'd like to know what has happened to him behind the scenes. He was at that kind of level not too far back but he's taken on a lot of the Davis characteristics in his 'offensive' game, but lacks Davis's chase-back tenacity in his defensive game.

I don't know whether it's a coaching thing or a confidence thing, but the result is really disappointing.

IMO it is simple. He is the slowest midfielder i have seen for years. The game goes on around him. I am still waiting to see a tackle or an interception. It never happens because he is too slow to get anywhere near opponents. So as a defensive midfielder he offers nothing.

He doesn't get up and down the pitch quick enough either, so he can't play that role. The only position left is attacking midfielder but he can't dribble or shoot, has no trick, power or....pace.

His lack of pace hurts him offensively as well. He can't break into the space quick,enough, and he is so slow that he is quickly closed down when he receives the ball which means he doesn't have that little time he needs to create.

He's too slow. Nothing more nothing less. Everything else about him I like by the way and to cover my arse when he becomes David beckham Mark 2, he is still very young and once he finds his feet for real and the right role and supporting players around him he could still be a cracking little player.

Edited by Chez

We played like that fairly often last season, only difference was we didn't get a goal today. If we had hit them on the break and scored it would be seen as a classic away performance.

As it is we lack any confidence on the ball to make things happen and really miss Toby bringing the ball from the back.

That same set up with Classie, Bertrand, Mane and hopefully a CB who can play a bit will get us plenty of results.

I'm content with the performance, if only because we (I) were in desperate need of a solid defensive performance (far more important than offensive performance for moi at this stage). The quote in bold is what provides me with real optimism, i.e. this formation with the correct personnel (those you mention) will be effective. 4-2-3-1 simply isn't working for us at present with Targett/Yoshi/Davis/the two DMs, so something needed to change.

Incidentally, I thought Caulker was appalling in the first half (improved second half). And Wanyama was lackadaisical throughout.

Edited by Donatello

the wolves will be out soon enough. saying what else could the club do etc

we sign Juanmi, who cant buy a game and stoke by Shaquiri, Palace buy Cabeye.

Newcastle spent £12m on georginio Wijnaldum and we went for the cheaper option on Classie. Long season though, let's see how things stand next May. Maybe Juanmi just needs a little time,to settle in and then might fly...

If he can develop into a proper attacking midfielder he could be gold as his set pieces are brilliant, he's just not really effecting games atm.

Everyone keeps saying this, even the commentators on today's game (FoxSports), but there is little or no evidence to support the case. I really want the guy to do well, but he really is adding less than nothing at the moment - give him his due he did have his best game for a while against Midgetland and did win us the pen. Still, not going to blame him for today.

Newcastle spent £12m on georginio Wijnaldum and we went for the cheaper option on Classie. Long season though, let's see how things stand next May. Maybe Juanmi just needs a little time,to settle in and then might fly...

I'm not sure the signing of Wijnaldum or Clasie needed to have been an either/or.

Unless of course the club told Ronald there was a limit on the number of countrymen he could sign, a sort of Dutch Cap if you like.

Come on Chez, you're better than this. They're two totally different players.

Jwp never gets a run. He's no impact player but why isn't he in midfield for 10-15 games instead of Davis? It he can't do it then, fine. But he doesn't have to be top class,he just has to offer more than Davis, which isn't hard anymore.

Because that would be a around a third of a season and we can't afford a passenger in the side for that long. Games aren't going to make JWP any quicker or anymore of an athlete, he lacks to many physical attributes without any skill or guile to get by anyway.

It would help if we had someone who can shoot from 18 yards - perhaps we should make an offer for Sparv but failing that Austin.

We are playing now like we all thought we would last season. I feel we have finally been rumbled.

A point at Watford is OK but we have regressed mightily from 2 years ago.

feel like when we started in the prem we had a great team that knew each other and worked well. Gradually those players are being replaced with poor understudies. We held on to Schneiderlin and Clyne for one more season - they are now gone. Feel like this season we'll finish mid table, then Wanayama and Mane will leave. Then we'll be back to a relegation scrap which we spent enough time doing in our history. We need change and now is the perfect time to do it before it's too late - and it can only come from the top. If Stoke can sign Shaqiri we have to be able to do better, if not at least as good as them. Players are wanting to leave to join a top 4 team because we're not showing enough ambition IMO. If we showed ambition, the players would be less likely to want to leave. Feel like our owner has started to cash in on the investment early - more money is needed and once we're in the top 4, that's when we become a self sustaining asset.

Because that would be a around a third of a season and we can't afford a passenger in the side for that long. Games aren't going to make JWP any quicker or anymore of an athlete, he lacks to many physical attributes without any skill or guile to get by anyway.

Just for the record, and so we can return to this again in a few years after JWP has been sold for £25m , do you think JWP is better now, or will be in the future, than Paul Wotton in his prime ?

From the three at the back switch, Ronald's primary objective was a clean sheet. He'd much have preferred a 0-0 to a 2-2 etc. Up front we looked pretty rudderless and there is a such a marked difference in midfield without Schneiderlein that we're resting a lot on Clasie to provide that force in there when he's back.

I would rather us finish 13/14th and had a fun run through to the latter stages of Europe (not saying that's our quality level) then to go out this week and finish a solid 7th-9th. Realistically I don't see us finishing that high even without the Europa League so may as well enjoy the continental journey

I know that it's very easy to say "the next 2-3 games will define how well we'll do this season" but let's be honest, 2 wins in the next 7 days vs. not winning either is such a chasm of difference, it's useless to speculate on how good we are before then

Spot on. Obviously 3 points are always welcome. But the important thing was the first clean sheet in 9 games. If we had to go to Denmark on the back of a loss of a promoted side, and failed to win there, the bad feeling would have poisoned the Norwich match.

The reality of the situation is that by the WBA match, we can field a side that looks something like -

Stek

Cedric - Fonte -Van Djik - Bertrand

Vic Romeu

Clasie

Mane J-rod

Pelle

Until then, we have to keep on trying to win games with the players at hand. So looking forward as a foundation to build on, today was a nil - nil desperandum.

Well, fair enough. But this inferrs our squad is still wafer thin. We have only 13 or 14 players up to it. We are bound to have another spate of injuries before next May.

Just for the record, and so we can return to this again in a few years after JWP has been sold for £25m , do you think JWP is better now, or will be in the future, than Paul Wotton in his prime ?

At what point can we return to this when he doesn't get sold for £25M?

Spot on. Obviously 3 points are always welcome. But the important thing was the first clean sheet in 9 games. If we had to go to Denmark on the back of a loss of a promoted side, and failed to win there, the bad feeling would have poisoned the Norwich match.

The reality of the situation is that by the WBA match, we can field a side that looks something like -

Stek

Cedric - Fonte -Van Djik - Bertrand

Vic Romeu

Clasie

Mane J-rod

Pelle

Until then, we have to keep on trying to win games with the players at hand. So looking forward as a foundation to build on, today was a nil - nil desperandum.

Guan 2.0. The voice of reason.

It would help if we had someone who can shoot from 18 yards - perhaps we should make an offer for Sparv but failing that Austin.

We are playing now like we all thought we would last season. I feel we have finally been rumbled.

Probably the name on everyones lips after another failure to score.

Just wonder if he'd pass the profiling test refered to on another thread. Perhaps theres a reason we've not jumped in to try signing him, apart from the £15m QPR want.

I'm not sure the signing of Wijnaldum or Clasie needed to have been an either/or.

Unless of course the club told Ronald there was a limit on the number of countrymen he could sign, a sort of Dutch Cap if you like.

I don't know how the deals compare, fees and wages etc. and who knows how both players will fare, but RK should have been all over the Dutch leagues best player last season. Maybe he was. It will be interesting to see how the two players pan out for their respective clubs.

Well, fair enough. But this inferrs our squad is still wafer thin. We have only 13 or 14 players up to it. We are bound to have another spate of injuries before next May.

Wafer thin, and probably not a lot of goal threat between Pelle, Mane & Rodriguez . Seems to me they all need about 4 or 5 chances before they take one.

But no worries, we can bring Long in from the bench.

I spent the summer moaning on here hoping we'd sign Wijnaldum but even I would say they play in 2 different positions.

Clasie has/was and is primarily used as a DM, he can pass from deep from that quarterback position, Wijnaldum is a balls out AM who busts a gut to get into the box, assists goals and scores a lot but obviously Davis is faniced more by RK :mcinnes:

It seems to me the defence is so weak at the moment we need the midfield to act as another line of defence. Which seemed to shore things up a little today. But at the expense of our attack.
Nail meet head.

When the strategy is that we need two very defensive DMs to help our back 4, we lose all opportunity in attack. You have essentially fielded 7 players who by design are not looking to score during the course of play.

I keep thinking our best 11 includes Clasie, Wanyama and Romeu on the pitch, but I am starting to rethink that. If we can get our back 4 sorted (VvD), we probably need only Wanyama or Romeu on the pitch with Clasie, which would then free up a slot for some more creative options; ie: Tadic. (as frustrating as he is, he is our most creative player). Plus, between Wanyama and Romeu, they are going to be suspended a lot, so there will be some unavailability there at times. Also if we get into the group stage, there will be more games to share between them.

So, I am thinking like more like:

--------------Stek--------------

Soares--Fonte--VvD--Bertrand

------Wanyama----Clasie------

-Mane-----Tadic---Rodriquez--

------------Pelle-----------------

or

--------------Stek--------------

Soares--Fonte--VvD--Bertrand

-------Romeu----Clasie--------

-Mane-----Tadic---Rodriquez--

------------Pelle-----------------

I don't know how the deals compare, fees and wages etc. and who knows how both players will fare, but RK should have been all over the Dutch leagues best player last season. Maybe he was. It will be interesting to see how the two players pan out for their respective clubs.

Wages - fair point.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who is worried about the direction our transfer dealings are taking us. You can't stand still in the prem, you should be looking to improve all the time and better teams than us have seen the wheels fall off in the past. It seems to me that not only have we not stood still, we have gone backwards from last year and we haven't used the transfer income nearly as well this season as we did last. As a consequence we have lost that solid defensive base and that air of calmness that we had the entirety of last season.

It's a fairly depressing prospect and not a huge amount to look forward to when we already know that mane, Wanyama and possibly Jay rod will be off next summer and replaced with cheaper alternatives. That's not to say that I blame the players but I don't think our recruitment has been up to scratch this summer.

The exciting and quality buys like mane Clyne etc haven't materialised this year and I wonder if a season of underperformance will force us to loosen the purse strings next summer? Inevitably if we do this every summer we will face a year that the gambles don't pay off and we end up battling relegation. I hope it's not this year...

Edited by hypochondriac

How I miss all those lovely triangles between Morgan, Lallana and Rickie.

I started to type out all the players that we have lost from that side, which IMO was better than last seasons, but what's the point.

There is still a week to go in the window, so perhaps we'll see where that takes us before damning the transfer activity of the whole summer, and of course Clasie has still to make an impact. That said, theres little to get too excited about by early showings.

How I miss all those lovely triangles between Morgan, Lallana and Rickie.

I started to type out all the players that we have lost from that side, which IMO was better than last seasons, but what's the point.

It's just not as satisfying to watch anymore. That team that came up was ours and we could be rightly proud of them. A group who came up through the leagues together and who I think all saints fans felt close to. It may just be me but I struggle to have the same affinity with some of the mediocrity we have bought in. The likes of Tadic just do not have the same potential as some of those. You just knew that Morgan was a superstar in the making for example.

If we are going to sell our best players every year to the point where it's an unprecedented level never seen in the prem before then at a certain point a lot of fans are going to question why they bother. If we don't see saints building on their success and looking to achieve something (a cup for example) then I think it's going to be harder to get up for games and support. Other than the European games which have been great, I've struggled to watch the first three games of this season and that's partly due to what I've already outlined (abd because our okay has been dire).

Edited by hypochondriac

I'm sure I'm not the only one who is worried about the direction our transfer dealings are taking us. You can't stand still in the prem, you should be looking to improve all the time and better teams than us have seen the wheels fall off in the past.

It's a fairly depressing prospect and not a huge amount to look forward to when we already know that mane, Wanyama and possibly Jay rod will be off next summer and replaced with cheaper alternatives. That's not to say that I blame the players but I don't think our recruitment has been up to scratch this summer.

The exciting and quality buys like mane Clyne etc haven't materialised this year and I wonder if a season of underperformance will force us to loosen the purse strings next summer? Inevitably if we do this every summer we will face a year that the gambles don't pay off and we end up battling relegation. I hope it's not this year...

Look mate, the sooner you get the fact that everything Saints do is f'ing brilliant, the better. We're just a poor little club trying to make do the best we can with our limited resources. "What could we have done"?! is the cry of the day around here. You don't want people to think that you're being mean to the board or expecting Kat to spends her billions on the first team do you?

I wonder if there is any chance we can get Tadic playing left side. That's where he started for us last season (remember when he looked a good player?) and where he is by far and away the most effective. Why does RK not see this?

Edited by Chez

Wafer thin, and probably not a lot of goal threat between Pelle, Mane & Rodriguez . Seems to me they all need about 4 or 5 chances before they take one.

But no worries, we can bring Long in from the bench.

As with last season, finishing isn't our problem, it's creating that's an issue.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who is worried about the direction our transfer dealings are taking us. You can't stand still in the prem, you should be looking to improve all the time and better teams than us have seen the wheels fall off in the past. It seems to me that not only have we not stood still, we have gone backwards from last year and we haven't used the transfer income nearly as well this season as we did last. As a consequence we have lost that solid defensive base and that air of calmness that we had the entirety of last season.

Same old same old - how would we keep Scheneiderlin and Clyne? Romeu could be excellent and Clasie hasn't had a chance yet. CB in pipeline as well and experienced LB not been available. FFS you lot are impossible to satisfy. Oh and 6 competing games and one defeat when we haven't had chance to have our full strength team out.

I would say get a grip but pointless as people can't cope here with any substandard performance

Look mate, the sooner you get the fact that everything Saints do is f'ing brilliant, the better. We're just a poor little club trying to make do the best we can with our limited resources. "What could we have done"?! is the cry of the day around here. You don't want people to think that you're being mean to the board or expecting Kat to spends her billions on the first team do you?

I don't blame kat, it's her money to do with what she wishes and I very much doubt she is withholding finance and pocketing the profit. Having said that I do wish the club would show a bit more ambition. The likes of Newcastle palace and Stoke have made some cracking signings this summer in my opinion. Now that isn't to say that they will finish above us but if we want to keep improving then we need to make signings on that sort of level. Aspirational signings that maybe some believe a club of our stature shouldn't be making.

It's just not as satisfying to watch anymore. That team that came up was our and we could be rightly proud of them. A group who came up through the leagues together and who I think all saints fans felt close to. It may just be me but I struggle to have the same affinity with some of the mediocrity we have bought in. The likes of Tadic just do not have the same potential as some of those. You just knew that Morgan was a superstar in the making for example.

I could not agree more. The Lallana five year deal way back when was the start of something special and I guess it had to come to an end at some point, but it was so unorganic if you like. I don't have any affinity with the signings now. They are all just using us as stepping stones rather than going with the club on its journey (can't believe I just used that word). I know it has been done to death, but I really think allowing Cork to leave (yes I know some would say he jumped, I say pushed) was a mistake. Exactly the player we need holding the side together (with Fonte) during this turbulent spell. Yes players are better when out of the side, but both Poch and RK were wrong in their opinions about him IMO. He proved Poch wrong, shame he wasnt given the time to prove RK wrong too.

Edited by Chez

A clean sheet away from home and a point. That's a good solid basis on which to rebuild. I have only seen the result and not the performance but at this stage of the season we need to be grinding out results. Flair and understanding can come later once the window closes and the squad is settled.

3 games in and people mentioning relegation? Oh dear

3 games plus the eufa games observing how poor we look compared to last season and the season before even this early on.

You cannot lose diamonds from a necklace and expect the same quality with cheap replacements.

A clean sheet away from home and a point. That's a good solid basis on which to rebuild. I have only seen the result and not the performance but at this stage of the season we need to be grinding out results. Flair and understanding can come later once the window closes and the squad is settled.

Capote missed an open goal header from about a metre out, put that away and this would have been right up there with the Sheff United debacle of last season. We were ****e and lucky to score 0 we offered so little going forward. Last season we were running Liverpool ragged at Anfield whilst coming away with nothing. Performances do matter as they point to how things will go when the chances do go in. We didn't turn any corners today.

Edited by Chez

I don't blame kat, it's her money to do with what she wishes and I very much doubt she is withholding finance and pocketing the profit. Having said that I do wish the club would show a bit more ambition. The likes of Newcastle palace and Stoke have made some cracking signings this summer in my opinion. Now that isn't to say that they will finish above us but if we want to keep improving then we need to make signings on that sort of level. Aspirational signings that maybe some believe a club of our stature shouldn't be making.

I largely agree but the general reactions from the usual lot on here when anyone even dares suggest that we've lost some ground this summer is pretty funny. You can't suggest that we should be keeping our best players where possible and adding good quality to the side without some of the smug, hyperbole counter arguments coming right back at you.

As with last season, finishing isn't our problem, it's creating that's an issue.

Correct. Game was crying out for someone to create chances. Fullbacks are not the same quality as last season. Tadic and Juanmi on the bench. Koeman wanted a clean sheet. I can understand it in a way but Watford are a poor side and were there for the taking, if only we could create some worthwhile chances.

I largely agree but the general reactions from the usual lot on here when anyone even dares suggest that we've lost some ground this summer is pretty funny. You can't suggest that we should be keeping our best players where possible and adding good quality to the side without some of the smug, hyperbole counter arguments coming right back at you.

been getting it all summer. "what can you do'...'nothing can be done'....(yet we kept morgan)

I'd have not sold Lallana, Chambers and offered Cork a new contract last summer..when he was gobbing off about wanting one

Edited by Batman