Man U Post match give-away

Ohio Saint

I think this time last year we had Koemans players with Pocchettinos pressing/fitness influence very much present

our form in 2015 has been pretty crap really......MPs stuff is not really evident anymore....add in the sale of more good players with inadequate players brought in.....

it showed today

We started the game really well and should have had a couple. Not sure why people are calling Pelle's shot which hit the post a ''sitter'' because it quite certainly wasn't. Overall, for the first 30 mins, we dominated the game. Pelle in particular had Blind's card, and Mane was pulling Carrick all over the place through the middle. We should have grabbed the name by the scruff of the neck right there and then, but we paid for not doing that.

Once Utd got a goal, they went up a gear, and we retreated back into our shells unfortunately. It wasn't really until 75-80mins that we woke up again and started to make Utd panic, as we did at the start of the game. It was frustrating that we couldn't get our heads back in the game before that period.

The goals we let in were frustrating, especially the first 2 which came as a direct result of Yoshida's carelessness - the 2nd was inexcusable at any level, and you can't expect to get anything in games at this level if you do stupid things like that. Gift wrapped.

Overall, it was a bit frustrating that we kind of lost the middle part of the game, as they really were there for the taking (as per last year). We looked a threat when we attacked though and I thought Pelle in particular had a terrific game.

Long way to go, we're still a pretty handy side.

Yoshida is a Championship player, can't think of another team in the league he would get into.

Sadly this is true. He has a good attitude but he is a liability. But Shurlock wont have that, he thinks the management is to blame for Yoshida's mistakes.

Edited by sadoldgit

We started the game really well and should have had a couple. Not sure why people are calling Pelle's shot which hit the post a ''sitter'' because it quite certainly wasn't. Overall, for the first 30 mins, we dominated the game. Pelle in particular had Blind's card, and Mane was pulling Carrick all over the place through the middle. We should have grabbed the name by the scruff of the neck right there and then, but we paid for not doing that.

Once Utd got a goal, they went up a gear, and we retreated back into our shells unfortunately. It wasn't really until 75-80mins that we woke up again and started to make Utd panic, as we did at the start of the game. It was frustrating that we couldn't get our heads back in the game before that period.

The goals we let in were frustrating, especially the first 2 which came as a direct result of Yoshida's carelessness - the 2nd was inexcusable at any level, and you can't expect to get anything in games at this level if you do stupid things like that. Gift wrapped.

Overall, it was a bit frustrating that we kind of lost the middle part of the game, as they really were there for the taking (as per last year). We looked a threat when we attacked though and I thought Pelle in particular had a terrific game.

Yep, spot on. Cant quite understand what happened to us after such a great start but we looked like a different side after that great start. Lots of positives to take from this but we need to believe.

a lot more to it than that. Certainly more than 'going into our shells'

Gary Neville pointed the obvious out and had no explanation why we changed players around so much after we were clearly way on top

Edited by Batman

Respect your opinion but it wasn't for me. He did pretty much everything right just a couple of centimetres in it.

Pelle was the reason we were close to getting anything from the game.

We don't normally agree Charles but I totally agree with this. He was very unlucky with the shot and looked quality today.

]I think this time last year we had Koemans players with Pocchettinos pressing/fitness influence very much present[/b]

our form in 2015 has been pretty crap really......MPs stuff is not really evident anymore....add in the sale of more good players with inadequate players brought in.....

it showed today

Hahaha, that'd make sense if not for the fact that the front 3 players under Koeman are entirely different humans Jesus, haha (no offense).

Edit: Misread, I think.

Edited by Donatello

Wow, wish I hadn't come on here to read this. I thought it was a close game in which two errors and some outstanding goalkeeping cost us all three points. Reading this you'd think we just got beaten by Portsmouth

There's work to be done, but we aren't going to get relegated ffs

Exactly, it was a thrilling game, lost by a single goal. An error and some brilliant goalkeeping was the difference, that's all, why the crying, why the RK abuse?

We were let down by our defence - played second half far too deep and invited MU to come at us. Yoshida is not a top quality PL defender - he makes too many critical mistakes. We could have beaten them and should have done but we were let down.

I watched the game with a Plastic Manc mate and was saying to him after that great start that we were sitting too deep. United are poor at the back and when we were going at them at the start and the end they were cr@pping themselves. As for Yoshi, he has his supporters on here but I wonder how many more howlers he has to make before people realise that he really isn't a Premiership quality player.

Exactly, it was a thrilling game, lost by a single goal. An error and some brilliant goalkeeping was the difference, that's all, why the crying, why the RK abuse?

Probably because we got no points, have won 2 of our last 12 PL games, lost due to an error from a CB playing instead of the RB we signed to replace Clyne and went missing for 35mins after conceding a goal allowing a 45 pass move with virtually no attempted tackles to result in their 3rd goal.

We should have got something but ruined it for ourselves with odd selections, too much tinkering and terrible defending.

We have conceded 3 at home twice in three games this season and are 16th having only played two decent sides out of 6 games.

Thats why. I think.

Agree 100% Wes Tender! Fine margins exactly what I was thinking...if Pelle's shot (a self-made chance and far from a sitter whoever wrote that) had gone in off the post instead of out we'd have been 2-0 up and it would have been a different game...a correct on-side decision...just one less de Gea's acrobatics...one less bad back-pass...we'd be celebrating a victory.

We will get stronger and we shouldn't over-react.

That said, I was really disappointed with the lack of effort/urgency/never-say-die spirit second half - last 10 minutes apart.

Man Utd weren't great, we beat ourselves today.

I think this time last year we had Koemans players with Pocchettinos pressing/fitness influence very much present

it showed today

We played United off the pitch at the start and the end today. We have a decent squad and once Bertrand and Clasie are back we will be stronger. Don't panic.

As asked previously, can someone explain to me why Koeman's selection/tactics worked so well for the first 35 mins, and yet were supposedly dreadful? Genuine Q (because I can't understand the rationale)

Because pelle stopped going up against blind, mane was moved wide and the defence dropped off pretty deep.

As asked previously, can someone explain to me why Koeman's selection/tactics worked so well for the first 35 mins, and yet were supposedly dreadful? Genuine Q (because I can't understand the rationale)

My biggest concern was Yoshida at RB. Didn't end up too well tbh.

Clarkey, are you suggesting that Yoshida was at fault for the first? :S

Was really annoyed at the final whistle - but when you think about it we were let down by a horror mistake and playing against a world class keeper. ANOTHER DAY - we would have won and comfortably.

Frustrated that Cedric and Juanmi two big summer signings just don't get a look in. I think it is made more annoying when you see Mahrez, Payet, etc absolutely flying.

Wow, wish I hadn't come on here to read this. I thought it was a close game in which two errors and some outstanding goalkeeping cost us all three points. Reading this you'd think we just got beaten by Portsmouth
uh huh..

So, I read this whole thread and what I gather:

Koeman is cowardly

Stek hasn't done anything this season

Yoshida commits a howler a game and is a Championship player at best

Fonte is well below his best and can't pass.

Tadic is a waste of space and people wonder what he does

James Ward Prowse is a total non-entity

Romeu was pure garbage

Wanyama needs to practice passing

Van Dijk was ****

Martina is a joke

Pelle's first half goal attempt was a sitter and he is an average player at best

Long and Davis are Championship players

Cedric has looked poor, weak and really not that quick

We need 11 Juanmis on the pitch apparently.

people need to get a grip, jeez.

We played United off the pitch at the start and the end today. We have a decent squad and once Bertrand and Clasie are back we will be stronger. Don't panic.

Agree.

Good game of football and we looked a decent side against a team with massive financial backing.

Perspective.

Because pelle stopped going up against blind, mane was moved wide and the defence dropped off pretty deep.

So nothing to do with Yoshida at RB? Furthermore, tthe defence dropping off wouldn't be a result of Koeman's tactics. In fact, he was trying to shove them up the pitch. Mane drifted around, sure.

Edit: I'm still awaiting an explanation on how Pochettino was able to impart his philosophy on players who arrived months after he left.

Edited by Donatello

My biggest concern was Yoshida at RB. Didn't end up too well tbh.

He was solid enough for 55 mins. That mistake aside he was fine. But at that point it was 1-1 and we had been absent for 20 minutes. I don't mind apportioning blame, hence why I have no qualms about saying I hold Fonte responsible for killing our momentum/style at the 35 minute mark. Still, I'm not sure why that makes Koeman's tactics inintrinsically wrong. We lost because of Yoshida, just the same as we lost because of Fonte, just as...the linesman, Pelle (missing - wasn't a sitter), the ref (penalty(?)), etc.

Edited by Donatello

Utter garbage. The game was nothing like last year, at least in terms of our fleeting dominance. United had a ten minute spell before the equaliser where we hardly touched the ball. Still not sure if they wised up to our rudimentary tactics of going long and targeting the gap between Rojo/Blind or we moved away from it as we dropped off, which wouldnt be inconsistent with the way we've played in the past under Koeman. Not sure what Yoshida did for the first goal (Fonte went awol and VVD got turned like a kipper); but hey simpletons need scapegoats. While Yoshida's mistake for the second was a howler plain and simple; our entire back four looked shaky.

But I guess that's difficult to admit when you've spent the summer denigrating others transfer business and backslapping our own. Of course, it begs the question why none of the new signings have made positions their own and we've been squeezing square pegs into round holes.

Edited by shurlock

Can't get my head around not playing the international RB we bought in, and playing Yoshida instead. What does that say about Cedric? What does it say about our recruiting? Also can't believe that we don't have someone in the academy that can't do at least as good a job as Martina.

Dear oh dear - just logged on to this chat, and honestly talk about the histrionics??? Good god we lost - yes we should have won, but **** happens in football. Only 23 posts in but so much BS on here. Will try and comment on some (don't know why though - it's all doom and gloom and we are better off in admin and L1). Firstly, like it or nor MU are on a ruthless streak right now - last two games 6 attempts on target and scored from all of them - that's not luck, at least not for all 6!

2nd, anyone watching Sky before the game will have heard RK explaining why Yossi was at LB instead of Cedrick, and at the time I thought great tactic but what if Yossi ****s up? In the end I think it was a good call, as MDP would have roasted Ced, and then RK would have been an idiot for not spotting that. The Yossi back pass alone did not cost us the game (lot's of other factors played a part) - yes it was poor, and maybe others should have warned of any danger, but mostly he had MDP in his pocket.

I think Gary N had it spot on - we lost the game as we took the pressure off after the 2nd Pelle attempt (which he should have scored), BUT it seemed the players took the foot off, as maybe they were tiring or got complacent etc. Even after the MU equaliser, which was clearly off side and hence extremely lucky, why oh why did we change our complete dominant way of playing?? This was not RK change of tactic (Sky interview after game), rather players. I actually blame Jose - he is the captain, and should have rallied the team to stick to task (VVD was the only one trying to do this). Never saw the do or die attitude either - get stuck in, take one for the team - let the young upstart know he is in a game - none of that - just let him swan around. We were lucky Rooney was off his game.

All in all, a very frustrating day - we should have got a point at the very least, played some great football, some absolute rubbish, but ultimately got out psychic'ed of the game. Expecting every player to maintain a 100% concentration throughout the game is fantasy - we need to stick to what we are good at, and play the percentages! We will be fine, maybe not top 10 but close.

Probably because we got no points, have won 2 of our last 12 PL games, lost due to an error from a CB playing instead of the RB we signed to replace Clyne and went missing for 35mins after conceding a goal allowing a 45 pass move with virtually no attempted tackles to result in their 3rd goal.

We should have got something but ruined it for ourselves with odd selections, too much tinkering and terrible defending.

We have conceded 3 at home twice in three games this season and are 16th having only played two decent sides out of 6 games.

Thats why. I think.

Pretty much this. After the first half hour today we were pretty woeful really. Yes you can point to the 'if's and but's' but the bottom line is that after 90 minutes we had no points again. Whether you like it or not, there is a gulf in class between the likes of us and Utd and its highly unlikely that we will ever bridge that gap. They had 3 shots on target today and scored them all - sign of a top team.

But as Charlie says - failing to beat sides like Newcastle and West Brom, will tell you where we are this season. Can see us in the relegation scrap early doors, but don't think we will go down. On the other hand - can't see us anywhere near the top ten either - so pretty much back to our mid table mediocrity I guess. In hindsight now, it's pretty lucky that we did get our asses kicked out of Europe pretty early doors - it's going to be a long hard slog in the prem.

uh huh..

So, I read this whole thread and what I gather:

Koeman is cowardly

Stek hasn't done anything this season

Yoshida commits a howler a game and is a Championship player at best

Fonte is well below his best and can't pass.

Tadic is a waste of space and people wonder what he does

James Ward Prowse is a total non-entity

Romeu was pure garbage

Wanyama needs to practice passing

Van Dijk was ****

Martina is a joke

Pelle's first half goal attempt was a sitter and he is an average player at best

Long and Davis are Championship players

Cedric has looked poor, weak and really not that quick

We need 11 Juanmis on the pitch apparently.

people need to get a grip, jeez.

I might just agree with this one - well maybe not a joke, but not quite up to Cedrick standard :-) I would have shifted Yossi to LB and brought Ced to RB, but then I agreed with RK's logic in having Yossi instead of Ced (to counter MDP threat), and I am not the manager, so what do I know?? Other than I am not quite as suicidal as some on here or ISIL (oh dear - I've done it now - helmet and jacket on, and hunkering down for the night!).

Utter garbage. The game was nothing like last year, at least in terms of our fleeting dominance. United had a ten minute spell before the equaliser where we hardly touched the ball. Still not sure if they wised up to our rudimentary tactics of going long and targeting the gap between Rojo/Blind or we moved away from it as we dropped off, which wouldnt be inconsistent with the way we've played in the past under Koeman. Not sure what Yoshida did for the first goal (Fonte went awol and VVD got turned like a kipper); but hey simpletons need scapegoats. While Yoshida's mistake for the second was a howler plain and simple; our entire back four looked shaky.

But I guess that's difficult to admit when you've spent the summer denigrating others transfer business and backslapping our own. Of course, it begs the question why none of the new signings have made positions their own and we've been squeezing square pegs into round holes.

His post isn't utter garbage though, I'd call that 90% spot on.

Bit of a shame after the sparkling start.

Shame Yoshida had a Fonte'esk brain fart.

There was a big chunk of the Second half where it looked like we were a team of strangers and the players were each standing in a separate postcode.

Considering the on paper cost of the teams, when we weren't playing silly buggers, they didn't look that special.

Rooney looks like the candle is growing dim.

Just hope this is the kick up the bottom the team need as the next 2 league games are against teams who play decent Footie.

He was solid enough for 55 mins. That mistake aside he was fine. But at that point it was 1-1 and we had been absent for 20 minutes. I don't mind apportioning blame, hence why I have no qualms about saying I hold Fonte responsible for killing our momentum/style at the 35 minute mark. Still, I'm not sure why that makes Koeman's tactics inintrinsically wrong. We lost because of Yoshida, just the same as we lost because of Fonte, just as...the linesman, Pelle (missing - wasn't a sitter), the ref (penalty(?)), etc.

Tbh mate I never said anything about Koemans tactics. The only thing I was miffed about was putting Yoshi at RB and it ended up costing us.

So nothing to do with Yoshida at RB? Furthermore, tthe defence dropping off wouldn't be a result of Koeman's tactics. In fact, he was trying to shove them up the pitch. Mane drifted around, sure.

Edit: I'm still awaiting an explanation on how Pochettino was able to impart his philosophy on players who arrived months after he left.

because, Clyne, Fonte, Cork, Morgan, Wanyama, Davis, JWP and everyone else who was here the year before would have the fitness and pressing instincts very much trained in them

it was even mentioned that the players did less physical work and more ball work when Ron came in.

in 2015 (well, since end of jan), we have been pretty crap....2 wins from the last 12 in the league. dumped out of the Europa League (may be a blessing, sadly) by a very crap side....after the run in jan where we beat newcastle, ipswich and united away in a week, the form dropped off quite a bit and been very patchy since

I think we will be ok. but it will be OK at best. Reckon we will be down here, maybe even drop in the bottom 3 for a few weeks before a little run will take us out with a 12-15th place finish

Edited by Batman

If you can't capitalise when you play well you will not get points.

If you can't defend properly when you decide to sit back and soak up pressure you will not get points.

It seems to me like there is a complete lack of belief in the team - even an early goal and Man Utd playing like part-timers for 30mins wasn't enough for us. Remember under Adkins when we first went up and we'd have a few moments early on in games but then teams would turn the screw and a little and we'd fold, but then in the last 10mins we'd rally a bit and people would pretend that was good enough?

We got all we deserved - that is not to say we didn't have our moments, but how many times will we play well and get nothing before we accept there is an issue somewhere rather than say 'oh well, onto the next one'?

Seems to me that you need scapegoats too so welcome to the Simpleton club Sherlock.

Clarkey, are you suggesting that Yoshida was at fault for the first? :S

He was the wrong side of the man so when he made his challenge the only place the ball was going was across the face of the goal. Basic law of defending - never play the ball across the face of the goal. Not as bad a mistake as the second but the bottom line is that he set up both goals for Martial. I don't know whether we ran out of steam after that great start, but the main reason we lost is because the defence decided to sit back too deeply allowing them to play through midfield. But even when they had a lot of the ball they didn't create much. The difference between top 4 teams and the rest is taking advantage when you get the chance. I was watching the game with a Manc supporter and said that we were going to struggle after not getting more goals in that hot opening spell (I also told him that Yoshi would probably gift them a goal before kick off - should have put some money on it). It is no shame to lose to Manchester United and there were plenty of signs that we will be ok this season. We haven't seen Clasie yet and Bertrand is due back soon. VVD has only played 2 games for us. Ron hasn't turned into a bad manager overnight. As someone else said we will probably have a few more bumpy games before we turn the corner but things will improve.

He was the wrong side of the man so when he made his challenge the only place the ball was going was across the face of the goal. Basic law of defending - never play the ball across the face of the goal. Not as bad a mistake as the second but the bottom line is that he set up both goals for Martial. I don't know whether we ran out of steam after that great start, but the main reason we lost is because the defence decided to sit back too deeply allowing them to play through midfield. But even when they had a lot of the ball they didn't create much. The difference between top 4 teams and the rest is taking advantage when you get the chance. I was watching the game with a Manc supporter and said that we were going to struggle after not getting more goals in that hot opening spell (I also told him that Yoshi would probably gift them a goal before kick off - should have put some money on it). It is no shame to lose to Manchester United and there were plenty of signs that we will be ok this season. We haven't seen Clasie yet and Bertrand is due back soon. VVD has only played 2 games for us. Ron hasn't turned into a bad manager overnight. As someone else said we will probably have a few more bumpy games before we turn the corner but things will improve.

I agree we'll be ok but it's whether or not, for the money spent in the summer, that going from 7th to 'we'll be ok' and dumped out of Europe in August is acceptable? It's taken 6 league games this season for that to be deemed as acceptable to some supporters.