Koeman to walk?

Huffton

Would anyone be suggesting Gary Monk for next manager if he wasn't ex-Saints? I'll go for a Skate, Eddie Howe.

My opinion on Gary Monk is nothing to do with being an ex-Saint, I thought he had Swansea playing good, dynamic football. Sure - things turned sour, just as they did for Mourinho (with an immense team) and, dare I say it, Ron too.

If Monk had been she-ite I wouldn't give him a thought.

I agree with you on Eddie Howe.

Can you name one player that has left who was happy to stay & sign a new contract and wanted to stay , but the board cashed in . If Vardy wants out , he'll go and there's not a damn thing Leicester can do about it . I've no doubt that the powers that be would have wanted Lallana , Clyne, Morgan & Lovren out there today as much as any supporter .

Couldn't disagree more. The powers that be think selling your best players for big money is the blueprint for success.

He knew the job he was coming into. If he doesn't like the model he shouldn't have taken the job. If he was a very good manager he'd see that selling players for far more than their worth is a good thing as it gives him the funds to go out and build a better team than the one before. You wouldn't buy back any of the key players we have sold for the fees we sold them for over the last two summers. If he hasn't spent the money well enough then he only has himself to blame

You've got to be kidding. Schneiderlin? Clyne?

How can you consistently buy better than players deemed top 4.

That's not their blueprint at all . If it was Vic would be at Spurs & Mane at Utd .

They couldn't even be as silly to sell those two after selling our 3 best players in the summer(Toby on loan)but we still blew that deal. Why do so many want to go though? Yes money but for the 9 players who have left to go they are desperate to go for a reason. That volume of players is unique in two seasons. I think it shows the difference between the Cortese era and after. There should be a way between the two where we live within our means but also progress and move forward. If you stand still in football you go backwards and we haven't even stood still.

That's not their blueprint at all . If it was Vic would be at Spurs & Mane at Utd .

They couldn't even be as silly to sell those two after selling our 3 best players in the summer(Toby on loan)but we still blew that deal. Why do so many want to go though? Yes money but for the 9 players who have left to go they are desperate to go for a reason. That volume of players is unique in two seasons. I think it shows the difference between the Cortese era and after. There should be a way between the two where we live within our means but also progress and move forward. If you stand still in football you go backwards and we haven't even stood still.

Koeman wants to strengthen the side - not just spend to compensate (in vain) for what he's lost. Equally simple, incontestable stuff, trevor.

Indeed - but it's the losses that are a crucial part of that. There's less talk at the moment of holding onto players like Wanyama and Manè and I wasn't really considering that as I don't expect us to sell anyone in this window.

Agree entirely. The players can see there's no ambition at the club.

Did you read Steven Davis in The Times today?

Edited by DuncanRG

Indeed - but it's the losses that are a crucial part of that. There's less talk at the moment of holding onto players like Wanyama and Manè and I wasn't really considering that as I don't expect us to sell anyone in this window.

Did you read Steven Davis in The Times today?

None of bigger clubs going to want Steven Davis. His goal scoring and creating record is abysmal. He works hard and is okay but not great. But what do you expect him to do come out and say all the players are unhappy and want to go?

Koeman has signed not one, not two but three £10m plus attackers to play alongside Jay Rod, an £8m signing.

Koeman signed a £10m plus keeper.

Koeman signed two £10m defenders to play alongside our captain, plus a £5m right back who may not be to standard. Plus an £8m defender currently crocked which has been covered by the club by another defender on loan, who had previously been subject to £8m transfers.

In midfield/wings Koeman signed £10m winger, plus an £8m midfielder to play alongside our existing £12m midfielder. Added to that is £6m for another midfielder, decent fee for a back up midfielder. Let's skirt over the £12m legend on the bench today.

Koeman has signed £10m or thereabouts - some twelve mil, some eight mil - for all over the pitch from front to back, so much so that we very often have ten million quid players on our bench.

The idea he has had "a budget to buy only also rans" is utterly fu cking laughable.

The cost of the team we put out stacks up very, very well compared to any in our competitive set. And Koeman's hands are all over it.

£10m doesn't buy very much these days........

Couldn't disagree more. The powers that be think selling your best players for big money is the blueprint for SUSTAINABILITY.

Fixed it for you.

The notion that the board wake up every day dreaming of selling our best players so they can line their own pockets is ****ing ludicrous.

Players go for money. That's it. Vardy may say he's happy to stay at Leicester right now and who can blame him with where they're at.

But guess what happens if they don't finish in the top 6, he scores 20+ goals, and United offers to double his wages.

It's business.

Fixed it for you.

The notion that the board wake up every day dreaming of selling our best players so they can line their own pockets is ****ing ludicrous.

Players go for money. That's it. Vardy may say he's happy to stay at Leicester right now and who can blame him with where they're at.

But guess what happens if they don't finish in the top 6, he scores 20+ goals, and United offers to double his wages.

It's business.

9 of our best players going in two seasons isn't business, it's madness.

Let's break down why they went.

Lambert - boyhood dream, money, looming WC and England chances.

Lallana - ****, money, looming WC and England chances.

Lovren - ****, money.

Chambers - money.

Shaw: money.

Schneiderlin: money, better chance of national call-up.

Clyne: money, solidify England spot (in his mind at least).

Aldereweld: money.

None of these departures had anything to do with the club's ambitions for the future. Only the ambitions of the individual players. The club's ambition is always to get the best results on the field in the most sustainable manner as possible.

It is ever thus.

That's eight. Am I missing one?

Edited by GarrettIvo

Lovren - ****, money.

Chambers - money.

Yes, the big one. Why she sells them: money.

Lovren - ****, money.

Chambers - money.

None of these departures had anything to do with the club's ambitions for the future. Only the ambitions of the individual players. The club's ambition is always to get the best results on the field in the most sustainable manner as possible.

It is ever thus.

Throw in Mane, Wanyama and Boruc and that's a pretty tidy team there.

Lovren - ****, money.

Chambers - money.

And every single one went to a bigger club . When was the last time we finished above Arsenal , Spurs , Utd or Liverpool ? Not only did they increase their wages by a massive amount , professionally they furthered their careers . I can't see how anyone ( even that genius Nicola ) could have kept them

And every single one went to a bigger club . When was the last time we finished above Arsenal , Spurs , Utd or Liverpool ? Not only did they increase their wages by a massive amount , professionally they furthered their careers . I can't see how anyone ( even that genius Nicola ) could have kept them

Very much the point I am trying to make.

Explain the £60m debt then? Sick and tired of bull**** posts on here about Katrina and the board pocketing cash yet the finances show we have accumulated a £60m debt, which means the board has spent more than it has brought in in recent times.

Players have been sold because they have wanted to leave and you simply can't keep them here when bigger wages are on offer. All we can do is try and match those wages, but how do you finance that?

There is no lack of ambition. It's simply about spending the income on the right players and that is very hard to do. We have about a 50% success rate on incoming players, which probably isn't bad, but the problem is that that is to replace successful players going out rather than replacing the underperforming players.

Lovren - ****, money.

Chambers - money.

It is ever thus.

This is spot on!!! But................... Summer of 2014 was so fookin traumatic (it brought me to this forum to seek solace it was that bad) I still can't figure why we couldn't say "no", to at least some of them. Lallana, Shaw and Chambers - did we have to sell them all in one Summer? Where were our balls and authority?

I think we are in a situation now where no one is playing to their ability and so signings are not going to get out out of this.

This is the moment where management and leadership are key to turnaround our form. So for me the question is do we think RK has the ability to get this group and shake them out of this dip and regroup to start working together? When you see them confidence is clearly low and the slightest thing that goes against us seems to be magnified and they just seem to crumble.

I'm not sure on Ron. I really like him as a bloke and the fact he is open and straight. Has he got the ability to get us going...well I guess we will find out. The thing that worries me most is that when things are going wrong on the pitch he rarely is on the line changing and talking to players to make the outcome different.

Here's hoping, but wouldn't put faith that anybody coming in is going to turnaround the team confidence

Although it is never a good sign when football managers start to publicly criticise individual named players, this thread is nevertheless still highly speculative and I for one see little real sign that the manager is about to ''walk out'' on the job mid-season. However, form as retched as ours currently is is quite enough to put any manager under a degree of pressure in this game - that of course ''comes with the territory'' as they say.

Unless your name happens to be Sir Alex Ferguson methinks that managers are kind of like players in a way - i.e. even the best have a finite career ahead of them before 'Old Father Time' decides that they are finished in the game. At the age of 52 its too early to say that Koeman is past it now, but with the obvious exception of the Arsenal game, we've been stuck in this same dismal slump for months now and whatever the Koeman brothers are doing to try and arrest our slide just isn't working as yet.

With this squad I still fancy our chances of avoiding relegation this season whatever the current form guide may say. I don't get to as many games as I'd like to anymore but we are I think still playing some decent football. But the situation is indeed worrying and the manager's future is by no means as assured as it was at the start of the season.

I know that Koeman stated that we won't sell anyone in January, but with the effects of yesterday's "afters", I wouldn't hold him to that statement.

We're talking about two of our " key players " .....but if they can't tow the line, then I believe we're better off without them ....and start looking elsewhere.

For the money they get paid, the club deserves better behaviour. I wonder what the rest of " the dressing - room " feels about this?

This is spot on!!! But................... Summer of 2014 was so fookin traumatic (it brought me to this forum to seek solace it was that bad) I still can't figure why we couldn't say "no", to at least some of them. Lallana, Shaw and Chambers - did we have to sell them all in one Summer?

Where were our balls and authority?

A lot of us felt that...but it all came at the time AFTER Pochettino deserted us, and I think those players were "brain-washed"into thinking we were doomed without him.

Panic set in , and the big clubs " smelt blood " and swooped in for the kill. With the prospect of a new (then unknown) manager arriving, they all wanted out.

If we were to put money aside ..I wonder.. how many of them (with hindsight).. would have stayed.....had they known we would later sign Ronald Koeman?

Edited by david in sweden

Lovren - ****, money.

Chambers - money.

It is ever thus.

Spot on and that is why our two greedy Africans want away.

The best thing for us is to sell both if the money is right and start this cycle again. You are going to have to make a choice

people,put up with supporting a club like Southampton or **** off and join the glory hunters.

£10m doesn't buy very much these days........

Probably why Stoke have only bought one player at that price since we've been back in the Prem, Palace have only ever bought one and Watford and Leicester have never bought any.

Newcastle and Sunderland have bought a few, though, so let's hope we start emulating their great work.

Couldn't disagree more. The powers that be think selling your best players for big money is the blueprint for success.

Agree entirely. The players can see there's no ambition at the club.

Comedy gold fellas. Comedy gold.

Fixed it for you.

It's business.

Decent players at clubs like Watford, Leicester and Stoke want to stay there. Here, they can't wait to leave, assisted by a board that probably tell players that they sign that a move to Saints could get them a move to a top club in a few seasons.

There is a massive difference.

Decent players at clubs like Watford, Leicester and Stoke want to stay there. Here, they can't wait to leave, assisted by a board that probably tell players that they sign that a move to Saints could get them a move to a top club in a few seasons.

Embarassing if you really believe this

What offers for what players have those three clubs managed to fend off?

Embarassing if you really believe this

it is a bit OTT

but no other club that has finished 8th and 7th have lost over half of its starting 11 in 12 months.

that is bizarre also.

Will leicester lose 4 players this summer? probably not

will palace lose bolasie, cabeye and dann? doubt it

That saints side cant have been the best ever to have finished 7th

it is a bit OTT

but no other club that has finished 8th and 7th have lost over half of its starting 11 in 12 months.

that is bizarre also.

Will leicester lose 4 players this summer? probably not

will palace lose bolasie, cabeye and dann? doubt it

That saints side cant have been the best ever to have finished 7th

Money talks - do you think they sign players with different moral fibre?

Watford, Palce and Leicester been doing it fir half a season.

You think Igalo is committed and loyal to Watford?

Money talks - do you think they sign players with different moral fibre?

Watford, Palce and Leicester been doing it fir half a season.

You think Igalo is committed and loyal to Watford?

the question is, will those teams lose as many players as we have. regardless of what players are loyal.

I very much doubt it as no team has dont it previously other than maybe Leeds.....?

Comedy, comedy gold.

Someone remind Begovic how much he wants to stay at Stoke because he seems to have accidentally signed for Chelsea in the summer.

And N'Zonzi of course who so dearly and desperately wanted to stay at his beloved Stoke he decided to express that by being sold to Sevilla. Apparently he signed his contract in Spain wearing full Stoke City replica kit drinking from a Wedgwood mug and spent his first pay packet getting a tattoo of Gordon Banks on his back.

Edited by CB Fry

the question is, will those teams lose as many players as we have. regardless of what players are loyal.

I very much doubt it as no team has dont it previously other than maybe Leeds.....?

They will lose them if big clubs bid £20-25 million. No one will lose 5 I'm sure.

This just comes up and conveniently forget last season happened. As said no one has solutions - we kept Scheiderlin and everyone accepts he would go next season. Then people return saying we can't keep selling out best players. No one wanted Schneiderlin to go but absolutely no one has a solution as how to fend off Utd if they want your players.

Edited by whelk

They will lose them of big clubs bid £20-25 million. No one will lose 5 I'm sure.

This just comes up and conveniently forget last season happened. As said no one has solutions - we kept Scheiderlin and everyone accepts he would go next season. Then people return saying we can't keep selling out best players. No one wanted Schneiderlin to go but absolutely no one has a solution as they how to fend off Utd if they want your players.

The temptation to have a second bite of the summer 2014 cherry is so irresistible or some isn't it?

We finished seventh with a record points haul last season which should draw a line under it. Done. Move on. But you can really see how much some on here hated that outcome.

Comedy, comedy gold.

Someone remind Begovic how much he wants to stay at Stoke because he seems to have accidentally signed for Chelsea in the summer.

And N'Zonzi of course who so dearly and desperately wanted to stay at his beloved Stoke he decided to express that by being sold to Sevilla. Apparently he signed his contract in Spain wearing full Stoke City replica kit drinking from a Wedgwood mug and spent his first pay packet getting a tattoo of Gordon Banks on his back.

Yes, Stoke fans are really gutted at their Summer's transfer business!

None of those clubs will be immune to selling their best players in the summer. But I reckon if they sell a player for £20-25m they won't be replacing them with a player who costs 25% as much. And that is the difference for me with what we did last summer.

Very well put.

Yes, Stoke fans are really gutted at their Summer's transfer business!

Are you the same bloke who just slags off players every game and always envies whoever is flavour of the month and wants to copy what they are doing. Pathetic perspective from you sunshine

None of those clubs will be immune to selling their best players in the summer. But I reckon if they sell a player for £20-25m they won't be replacing them with a player who costs 25% as much. And that is the difference for me with what we did last summer.

Ok which RB should we have replaced Clyne with?

And which CM should we have replaced Scheiderlin with?

C'mon it is very easy. All other clubs do it right.

And assume you really didn't want us to sign Clasie as was too cheap for you?

Edited by whelk