Koeman to walk?

Huffton

Well, if it happens I guess it will make a few on here happy. Personally I hope it doesn't but nothing surprises me in football. Ron will have known before he joined that this club doesn't flash the cash so I am hoping it is b*ll*cks.

Doubt he will walk like that. He has been allowed to bring in a lot of his own targets and he has struggled to get the best out of them this season. So whilst we may spend somewhat meekly and I think he would have a point, what we have spent on has been on a lot of 'his guys' so he is also responsible for the mess.

For all those wanting to see youngsters coming through into the first team and expecting them to be more loyal....remind me what has happened in the past to those brought through? Chambers, Lalana, Ox, Sneiderlin, Walcott, Bale (although we had to sell him). If they do well then they are poached by the bigger clubs, and they go. They are no different from players we buy that are also wanted. Don't get me wrong, I would prefer kids to come through and take the league by storm, but therein lies the problem. If they are that good they will go. I'm sure the club would also prefer the kids to come through into the first team as they cost a lot less and when they do come good and do leave, they leave for millions so the club makes a vast profit. But, they need to be good enough for the first team in the first place. Ronald is the one to decide that and if he thinks they aren't then we need to buy players that are. There's no easy answer and that is the dilemma.

Well, if it happens I guess it will make a few on here happy. Personally I hope it doesn't but nothing surprises me in football. Ron will have known before he joined that this club doesn't flash the cash so I am hoping it is b*ll*cks.

Don't be sick.

Haven't we been flashing the cash since he's been here ? Bet we've flashed it a lot more than any other club that he's ever been at. We've spent about 120 million since his appointment and that is a far old sum for a club such as ours. If nyone cares to work out how much say Tottenham or Arsenal have spent over the same period that would be quite interesting.

Doubt he will walk like that. He has been allowed to bring in a lot of his own targets and he has struggled to get the best out of them this season. So whilst we may spend somewhat meekly and I think he would have a point' date=' what we have spent on has been on a lot of 'his guys' so he is also responsible for the mess.[/quote']

If by mess you mean being in midtable then that isn't too bad a mess to be in is it? I bet that clubs like Newcastle Sunderland and Villa would like to be in a mess like us.

Haven't we been flashing the cash since he's been here ? Bet we've flashed it a lot more than any other club that he's ever been at. We've spent about 120 million since his appointment and that is a far old sum for a club such as ours. If nyone cares to work out how much say Tottenham or Arsenal have spent over the same period that would be quite interesting.

We have spent when we haven't had any choice due to players leaving. We are not a club that spends a lot of money in mid season and we are not a club that spends to speculate.

If by mess you mean being in midtable then that isn't too bad a mess to be in is it? I bet that clubs like Newcastle Sunderland and Villa would like to be in a mess like us.

I think its a mess personally. Didn't expect to finish 7th in the league and then 6 months later be 6 places worse off. Season can be somewhat salvaged but overall it has been a mess:

1. Didn't even quality for Europa League

2. Toby farce

3. Lost two other starters (Clyne and Schneiderlin) and failed to adequately replace them

4. Bottled second biggest game of season (Liverpool in the Quarter-Final, most important being the away game in Denmark)

5. 13th in the league and lost 7 of 9

And I haven't even mentioned the players refusing to sign new contracts. Don't think it will go down as an average season. It's ****e at best. Only a really strong second half of the season resulting in a Top 10 finish would be anywhere near acceptable, even then when you write down what has happened since June it's a bit of a joke. But that is just my opinion - I thought the club would do a better job at sustaining itself in the Top 8 or so but I think I my confidence was misplaced after this summers transfer activity.

I know it's Twitter but rumor on there saying big bust up between Koeman and the board over transfer funds and Koeman is set to walk.

G'day. Got any links to these twitter rumours? (I've searched for 'Koeman' mentions over the last 5 hours and can't find one). Cheers

I think its a mess personally. Didn't expect to finish 7th in the league and then 6 months later be 6 places worse off. Season can be somewhat salvaged but overall it has been a mess:

1. Didn't even quality for Europa League

2. Toby farce

3. Lost two other starters (Clyne and Schneiderlin) and failed to adequately replace them

4. Bottled second biggest game of season (Liverpool in the Quarter-Final, most important being the away game in Denmark)

5. 13th in the league and lost 7 of 9

And I haven't even mentioned the players refusing to sign new contracts. Don't think it will go down as an average season. It's ****e at best. Only a really strong second half of the season resulting in a Top 10 finish would be anywhere near acceptable, even then when you write down what has happened since June it's a bit of a joke. But that is just my opinion - I thought the club would do a better job at sustaining itself in the Top 8 or so but I think I my confidence was misplaced after this summers transfer activity.

How can we be 6 places worse off when the season hasn't ended and there are 18 more games to go?

To be honest I think he become disinterested ages ago you only have to look at the mans body language half the time..... if it happens it happens we'll survive i'm not going to lose any sleep over it.

The man has played at the top level and aspires to manage at the top level. He has said himself he doesn't like to lose. You might think that he is disinterested but that is purely your opinion. There is a big difference about losing interest and being frustrated.

We may have spent a lot of money but that was all getting replacements for players which left, we haven't been splashing the cash making the first team stronger, we've been splashing the cash replacing our top players with not as good players (yet). You can't really compare to tottenham or Arsenal who don't lose half their squad each summer and have to replace them, it would be very nice to keep our first team together and adding just one top player to the squad each summer. Then if we spent say £30 million we'd be splashing the cash

When you consider the mess he walked into when he arrived, and the players he lost subsequently, it's actually pretty amazing what he has achieved here. I can't be arsed to check on the net spend, and none of us knows all of the players relative wages, but on transfer fees alone he has to be right in what he said. It's not just the outgoing money, obviously that's a high figure, it's what we've sold to get it.

Whether it's bad luck, poor management, poor playing or whatever... this season has been rubbish and is looking more likely to stay rubbish than become good.

As has been noted above: i) we made a mess of a rare European campaign - a bad cup result happens from time to time but our tactics and execution were terrible in both games against Midgetland; ii) we got absolutely thrashed in a home cup quarter final (although we seem to be the only team in the world that ever has to actually play against Daniel Sturridge); iii) we have regressed in terms of league performance (despite the general quality of the league being abysmal).

Obviously a relatively bad season happens to everyone from time to time but it's natural in a rubbish season to speculate as to why it's rubbish. Taking the Midgetland tie as a case-study, Koeman has been outspoken in the past about opponents playing long-ball. Puzzling then that, in that tie, we went for Pelle and Rodriguez up front and a "hit the big man" approach (especially as it seemed to play straight into their methodical approach). It was a complete abandonment of the norm and quite odd. It made me wonder if the Koemans had got caught on the hop a bit with the season's preparations for some reason. I don't think Ronald's injury helped and I wonder if some focus was lost.

We won't be going down (although I win two grand if we do so I don't really care either way) because we only need four wins and a couple of draws and we will get those but we do need a reassessment as to what the first team will stand for next season and what we want our manager to deliver when it comes to an identity and a vision.

iii) we have regressed in terms of league performance (despite the general quality of the league being abysmal).

While we've certainly regressed, I actually think this is because the "general quality" of the league has improved immeasurably. The top teams are all battling to make a complete pig's ear of things, while those in middling positions now have the financial clout to be able to attract players they wouldn't have even dreamed of before, so you've got Crystal Palace signing Yoann Cabaye and Stoke signing Xherdan Shaqiri, FFS :lol:

Basically, many of the teams we were comfortably ahead of last season have caught up with us pretty rapidly. There's still the nucleus of a very good side in there, and we've not actually had many absolute stinker performances this season (except for the big cup games, naturally :sulk: ), it's been fine margins that have cost us, whereas last season they were largely going in our favour. Sharpen up a bit in both boxes and we'll climb back up the table, IMO.

When you consider the mess he walked into when he arrived, and the players he lost subsequently, it's actually pretty amazing what he has achieved here. I can't be arsed to check on the net spend, and none of us knows all of the players relative wages, but on transfer fees alone he has to be right in what he said. It's not just the outgoing money, obviously that's a high figure, it's what we've sold to get it.

As you say we had a pretty good season last year, didn't hear anyone calling for cash splashing last January really. Now things aren't so great and yet we only sold 2 main line players and lost a loanee who were all replaced with what would seem to be Koeman signings, so why do we suddenly need to spend even more to keep the same manager? I am confused, he's had his head and did well last season, now we need to spend or he'll walk away...I just don't buy it. Now if you told me that he actually really wants to sell Mané and Wanyama and spend the proceeds..well that I could believe.

Edited by Window Cleaner

Koeman is 2 EPL defeats away from the sack

Koeman is 2 EPL vicotries from being our manager for the future.

The next two league games will decide. (The FA Cup game will not count for much).

Lose the next two home league games and I might just join the Dark Side.

The Board are gutless and incapable of taking the decision to fire Koeman and Co. Such a decision would need a man of Cortese's grandeur and we no longer have anyone of that level. We are therefore in a very perilous situation. We will dither and tango till all the decent replacements are no longer available .

Wanyama should be shipped out at once. If United are prepared to pay over the odds then MANE should go as well.

One thing Rupert Lowe was right about and that is you don't keep hold of a player who wants to leave.

We need to act now and give ourselves the time to get back on track and stabilise a sinking ship. Can't envision anyone capable of taking such a decision and therefore a worse situation is about to unfold.

I know it's Twitter but rumor on there saying big bust up between Koeman and the board over transfer funds and Koeman is set to walk.

I saw someone mention it is to do with not only results but the lack of playing time for the kids. Wonder how much that is true. I guess if our policy is to sell every summer you need some home grown youngsters to shine through, which is difficult if they are not playing.

I saw someone mention it is to do with not only results but the lack of playing time for the kids. Wonder how much that is true. I guess if our policy is to sell every summer you need some home grown youngsters to shine through, which is difficult if they are not playing.

When did it become a "policy" to sell every summer? Our hand may have been forced during the last two summers and might be again this summer by certain players but there is a difference in pragmatically letting people go who are in the last year of their contract and selling players per se.

There was this thread from back in August regarding a Neil Ashton article. Could it have been that?

http://www.saintsweb.co.uk/showthread.php?55008-Tenaions-Between-Koeman-and-Reed

Ashton wrote; A year on, there is tension building between Koeman and Southampton’s head of football development Les Reed, with the pair in frequent disagreement over the talent pool at the club.

I know, I know.............it's the dreadful Ashton :hunt:

The Board are gutless and incapable of taking the decision to fire Koeman and Co. Such a decision would need a man of Cortese's grandeur and we no longer have anyone of that level. We are therefore in a very perilous situation. We will dither and tango till all the decent replacements are no longer available .

Wanyama should be shipped out at once. If United are prepared to pay over the odds then MANE should go as well.

One thing Rupert Lowe was right about and that is you don't keep hold of a player who wants to leave.

We need to act now and give ourselves the time to get back on track and stabilise a sinking ship. Can't envision anyone capable of taking such a decision and therefore a worse situation is about to unfold.

A lot of sense in this post. I would however say, that Koeman has two league matches left to deliver at least 4 points.

We may have spent a lot of money but that was all getting replacements for players which left, we haven't been splashing the cash making the first team stronger, we've been splashing the cash replacing our top players with not as good players (yet). You can't really compare to tottenham or Arsenal who don't lose half their squad each summer and have to replace them, it would be very nice to keep our first team together and adding just one top player to the squad each summer. Then if we spent say £30 million we'd be splashing the cash

This. We have spent less money than we took in for two seasons, and are one of the lowest payers in EPL (all confirmed by RK), and who is to say the players that RK has brought in were his first choice? There were several players mentioned as our targets who we did not get - don't have time to look through all of them, but clearly we tried to make Toby permanent, seems we were after Chicharito (who turned us down), also another big name full back, and attacking midfielder (from memory) - could be wrong but the main point is as made above, we are not spending to strengthen season on season on first team players (not squad), and who really knows if RK is really being backed in his first choice recruits?

This. We have spent less money than we took in for two seasons, and are one of the lowest payers in EPL (all confirmed by RK), and who is to say the players that RK has brought in were his first choice? There were several players mentioned as our targets who we did not get - don't have time to look through all of them, but clearly we tried to make Toby permanent, seems we were after Chicharito (who turned us down), also another big name full back, and attacking midfielder (from memory) - could be wrong but the main point is as made above, we are not spending to strengthen season on season on first team players (not squad), and who really knows if RK is really being backed in his first choice recruits?

No we haven't, Ralphie said so. The club are not stockpiling money you know. We sold players, we bought players, we're spending more on salaries, agents fees and loan fees than ever before. Do not let your fag packet maths fool you, it's all gone.

That the quality of the players bought is less than that of the players sold means squat, we still spent the same amount on them.

Edited by Window Cleaner

RK has been backed more than any other manager in my lifetime.

We have always sold players (not in the numbers of the last two summers, granted)

But I don't remember a manager getting hacked with relative huge funds like Ron has

If the Twitter thing is true (debatable) then I think he is not too keen on staying

We have always sold players (not in the numbers of the last two summers, granted)

But I don't remember a manager getting hacked with relative huge funds like Ron has

If the Twitter thing is true (debatable) then I think he is not too keen on staying

The only comparable manager is George Burley in terms of significant sums (for the level we were/are at) and freedom to build his own team.

Well the "Twitter thing" is probably just made up bollorks which may or may not have ever existed.

As you say he's had plenty of money but the results aren't as good as might be expected.

Nearly all of the best talent at the club have gone in the past 2 years - the cupboard is alomst bare save Mane and Vic (apparently), who now appear ready to leave also. If JWP had developed into another Morgan (I know....) he'd be on his way too. Players / agents are greedy and utterly without loyalty, but so are chairmen and managers, its a vicious cycle of greed and unrealistic ambition. Everyone at the sharp end knows this and its way past the point of changing (Lawrie Mac and Matt are a thing of the past...). But most here will remember our pre-lower league teams - we are at the point now of where we have "normally" been. We've over achieved for a couple of seasons IMO and everyone expects us to be a top 6 club. We're not, and very rarely have been, when we have had a decent set of players the club get raided by the "big boys" (what are Spurs and Liverpool gonna win this year - same as us most likely : F*** All, so its was just the money Adam).

All together now : "owen who oh when ........"

He hasn't been though. Look at his net spend, compared to Adkins, MP or Pardew as examples.

He hasn't been though. Look at his net spend, compared to Adkins, MP or Pardew as examples.

But then Cortese spent money that Liebherr doesn't seem to be willing to spend, we were investing for the future.. Most seem to think that's a good thing so you can't have it both ways. Those managers bought or developped the players which later brought in stacks of cash. That's the way the club works. If Koeman now wants more money to spend then he needs to sell players to get it.

Edited by Window Cleaner

How are we supposed to keep players who can earn at least twice as much at clubs whose facilities & chances of CL football are better than ours?

Players with 12 months on their contracts........

People moaning about us not keeping players should go & support Man Utd (oh forgot about Ronaldo), Arsenal (oh forgot about Van Persie), Liverpool (oh forgot about Suarez)..... Citeh & Chelsea keep players by paying 4 or 5 times our maximum wage. I'm waiting for someone to say Everton..............Rooney didn't leave them did he? Be interesting to see if Lukaku & Stones stay in the summer. Don't forget though that Lukaku is on over £100k.

£30m for Shaw & people are moaning. It's not RK's fault we didn't get Alderverwield. Stoke are paying £100k pw To Shaqiri FFS!

We could start paying £100k pw, but that is no guarantee of success.

Frustration for me is not buying young British players like Clyne. Stones & Galloway came from Barnsley & MKD (I think). Do we even scout Champ & below??

Also pees me off how highly Potchetino is regarded. Did any of you go to Sunderland? Remember Osvaldo?

The job RK has done since he came here us exceptional & we should be grateful he's still here.

Yep, he has made mistakes (who hasn't?) Wanyama on Saturday is a great example, but there are absolutely no guarantees anyone else will do any better.

Love to hear from Reed. RK faces the press after every game, come win or lose. Reed only talks when he can take credit, time for him to talk about recruitment in my opinion.

Be careful what you wish for..............

Nearly all of the best talent at the club have gone in the past 2 years - the cupboard is alomst bare save Mane and Vic (apparently), who now appear ready to leave also. If JWP had developed into another Morgan (I know....) he'd be on his way too. Players / agents are greedy and utterly without loyalty, but so are chairmen and managers, its a vicious cycle of greed and unrealistic ambition. Everyone at the sharp end knows this and its way past the point of changing (Lawrie Mac and Matt are a thing of the past...). But most here will remember our pre-lower league teams - we are at the point now of where we have "normally" been. We've over achieved for a couple of seasons IMO and everyone expects us to be a top 6 club. We're not, and very rarely have been, when we have had a decent set of players the club get raided by the "big boys" (what are Spurs and Liverpool gonna win this year - same as us most likely : F*** All, so its was just the money Adam).

All together now : "owen who oh when ........"

Exactly!!

Players dress cash up as ambition.....................if we paid £200k pw Lallana & the others would have stayed!!