Koeman to walk?

Huffton

Has he ever been asked in an interview whether he fears for his job? Considering our run I be surprised if he hadn't but can't recall any mention of such a question in the media.

I think you're right - and that's a healthy dose of perspective. Lose the next two and those questions will come though.

I can't actually remember the last time I found myself wanting a Saints manager to be relieved of his duties (it was probably the last Dutch guy we had, strangely enough), but I am beginning to seriously doubt whether we should stick with him right now.

Given that he has stated from the off that he will see out his contract and then walk, and assuming he keeps us up this season, what happens in the summer? He won't be the slightest bit interested in any long term planning when it comes to transfer activity, and given his poor record so far in the transfer market, I think it would be very unwise to let him loose with the kitty again only for a replacement manager to inherit a squad of average-poor players the following summer.

I'm never one for knee-jerk reactions normally. But whichever way you look at it, the Koeman brothers do not represent the future of this club. With the alarming form we have been in lately, and Ron's seemingly total inability to identify the problems and resolve them, I genuinely think we would be better off replacing him now with somebody with a fresh perspective and enthusiasm so we can start laying down some long-term plans again.

I can't actually remember the last time I found myself wanting a Saints manager to be relieved of his duties (it was probably the last Dutch guy we had, strangely enough), but I am beginning to seriously doubt whether we should stick with him right now.

Given that he has stated from the off that he will see out his contract and then walk, and assuming he keeps us up this season, what happens in the summer? He won't be the slightest bit interested in any long term planning when it comes to transfer activity, and given his poor record so far in the transfer market, I think it would be very unwise to let him loose with the kitty again only for a replacement manager to inherit a squad of average-poor players the following summer.

I'm never one for knee-jerk reactions normally. But whichever way you look at it, the Koeman brothers do not represent the future of this club. With the alarming form we have been in lately, and Ron's seemingly total inability to identify the problems and resolve them, I genuinely think we would be better off replacing him now with somebody with a fresh perspective and enthusiasm so we can start laying down some long-term plans again.

You don't think everyone else at the club will be planning long term even if, for some bizarre reason, Koeman doesn't bother?

You don't think everyone else at the club will be planning long term even if, for some bizarre reason, Koeman doesn't bother?

I don't doubt that others within the organisation will be planning long-term. I'm just questioning the wisdom of sticking with a manager who wont commit to the future and trusting him to sign players ahead of what will undoubtedly be his last season in charge. Doesn't make any sense to me. Better to make a positive change now than wait until its too late IMO.

The simple fact is that we have regressed badly since he took over last summer, and are now looking very much like we did at the point that Adkins was replaced, in that we often play some pretty, neat football but are shooting ourselves in the foot virtually every game with glaring defensive errors which are costing us dearly and dragging us into a relegation battle. I don't see how Koeman can turn this round now. He doesn't appear to have the tactical awareness, the confidence of the players, or the enthusiasm for it.

14-1 to be the next manager to leave in the top flight

Put £25 down when he was still at 40-1 a few hours after Mourinho was sacked. Think it's almost beyond the point of no return now. Barring a change or ownership or something else dramatic happening he won't be here at the start of pre-season.

He's been **** all season. Awful tactics in Europa, no ideas, weird subs.

And today, 352 with Martina and Targett. Pointless.

He has no clear vision and I wouldn't be upset if we got rid.

Am still trying to work out the sense of bringing on Ward-Prowse at 2-1 down and leave Seager on the bench.

Edited by Fitzhugh Fella

Am still trying to work out the sense of bringing on Ward_prowse at 2-1 down and leave Seagar on the bench.

Three things for me: crossing, a cool head and some protection from counter attacks. Mostly crossing.

Apart from his cross which Long hit the post with and the free-kick that we all thought was in, I can't think of anything he did.

He almost scored and almost set up a goal in 15 minutes. That's okay by me! Didn't he also take the corner which VVD hit the woodwork from?

Edited by DuncanRG

Apart from his cross which Long hit the post with and the free-kick that we all thought was in, I can't think of anything he did.

VVD's header, but the Times had it down as Long's header and Targett's corner so you're not the only one.

It was a strange substitution though when you're chasing the game. Whatever the situation I never seem to feel that JWP is the solution.

Yes I was forgetting Ward-Prowse has a habit knocking in free-kicks to salvage games Wade? I am not slagging JWP, just trying to get my head around Koeman's use of substitutes which starting from Midgetland away has been quite bizarre

To be fair FF, I'm not a fan of Ward-Prowse. But I can't moan at his contribution yesterday.

VVD's header, but the Times had it down as Long's header and Targett's corner so you're not the only one.

It was a strange substitution though when you're chasing the game. Whatever the situation I never seem to feel that JWP is the solution.

Just watched the pitiful MOTD highlights again. Definitely Ward-Prowse corners that Long hit the post from, and Fonte missed a sitter from.

Well done for plucking that figure out of your ****

IQ= idiot quotient?

Why so angry? Is it because I pointed out the obvious? Sorry won't happen again sir.

People like you are why this site has gone so downhill and all the good posters leave. Well done you angry obnoxious troglodyte

Three things for me: crossing, a cool head and some protection from counter attacks. Mostly crossing.

He almost scored and almost set up a goal in 15 minutes. That's okay by me! Didn't he also take the corner which VVD hit the woodwork from?

All the corners he delivered with accuracy, which made a change from Targett or Davis ballooning theirs into the crowd

Just my opinion but I don't think that Koeman will walk and I don't think that the club are in a hurry to sack him.

I agree. I think Koeman is just brutally honest about stuff which in the current climate is giving people ammo to vent their frustrations.

Personally I don't think we are playing that bad if we had a clinical striker this thread probably wouldn't exist.

I think you're right but I also think Koeman is protecting himself through the media which points to me that not all is well somewhere.

I am not sure whether he is protecting himself or just being honest? When you have a run of defeats it must cause concern within any club though.

I am not sure whether he is protecting himself or just being honest? When you have a run of defeats it must cause concern within any club though.

Well from my perspective within the last 5-6 weeks we've had Koeman do the following in press conferences:

1. Let the media know we're the only team who doesn't have a net spend in the league (along with words along the lines of 'come on, come on')

2. Be very forthright in his opinion on our Academy prospects

3. State we're not likely to make signings, to may sign a striker, to will look to sign a striker (and also used the word 'signings').

I'd say he is protecting himself and putting some pressure on the Board.

Well from my perspective within the last 5-6 weeks we've had Koeman do the following in press conferences:

1. Let the media know we're the only team who doesn't have a net spend in the league (along with words along the lines of 'come on, come on')

2. Be very forthright in his opinion on our Academy prospects

3. State we're not likely to make signings, to may sign a striker, to will look to sign a striker (and also used the word 'signings').

I'd say he is protecting himself and putting some pressure on the Board.

1 and 2 could be answers to specific questions. 3 could be down to the situation changing at Board level after discussions with him? I don't know. You could be right but unless you are privy to the conversations that the club management have between themselves it is all just conjecture.

1 and 2 could be answers to specific questions. 3 could be down to the situation changing at Board level after discussions with him? I don't know. You could be right but unless you are privy to the conversations that the club management have between themselves it is all just conjecture.

It is, just as your opinion about Koeman not walking and the board not wanting to change him is. Everything on here is!

I'm just of the opinion that when you look at Koeman's comments (which may be in relation to questions asked rather than opinions he offered without prompting - but he has enough media nous to know what he is doing) then I think he is positioning himself in the media somewhat.

I never said I hated Koeman.......I'm just getting increasingly frustrated with him,his currant demeanour seems frankly depressing and he seems devoid of anything positive at the moment.

Adkins was just very mediocre......and disappointing with what he had at his disposal.

I liked Pardew immensely and wished we had him still....the same with Pochettino.

Let's just forget Wigley, Poortvliet, Wotte,Gray,Wise,Bassett,Redknapp and alike.

WGS was great....as was many of his predecessors,bar Branfoot.

I don't think I'm far off the mark with those.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

How on earth is two promotions in two seasons mediocre? Not to mention that we haven't seen the sort of attacking football his teams produced since he left.

Adam Blackmore ‏@bigadamsport

I had a candid 1-2-1 with Ronald Koeman today about his future, comments about Academy & relationship with board - will go up @solentsport

#saintsfc Ronald Koeman on pressure on him if this week goes badly: "I'm the last person to run away from a problem".

#saintsfc Ronald Koeman says he has no problems with club's board & he has a meeting this afternoon with board over "the future in the club"

Edited by trousers

Maybe, but the way I remember his words he was saying two players were near the first team (Targett and Reed) but the rest weren't. I don't recall any suggestion that they were poor. We also need to remember that Ron's first language isn't English so perhaps his responses don't always come across as meant?

I think we are often too quick to think the worst or to look at the negative spin, especially when results are not going well. Having said that there was plenty of criticism flying around last season despite the fact that we did really well. It goes with the territory I guess. The football club is the thing you kick rather than the dog when you are not happy in life (for some anyway).

When the comments first came out I didn't post anything [i have enough annoying opinions without airing more] but I honestly thought at the time people weren't reading what was said. He did said 'aren't ready yet' that isn't 'total crap will never play in the first team' and he said 'some may be some never' or words to that effect. Well surely that is every youth team in the professional league? If you get one or two per crop you're doing very well.

I believe what he said to in the recent interview a negative slant was added to make it more newsworthy.

PS: I popped on Ugly Inside [i know it is one of the dank heck-holes of the Internet] and one poster claims two signings are coming in soon. More than likely forum bullshine but there you go.