Koeman to walk?

Huffton

No we haven't, Ralphie said so. The club are not stockpiling money you know. We sold players, we bought players, we're spending more on salaries, agents fees and loan fees than ever before. Do not let your fag packet maths fool you, it's all gone.

That the quality of the players bought is less than that of the players sold means squat, we still spent the same amount on them.

No where have I suggested this, or indeed that we should spend more. My point is that before criticising RK for poor player investment, maybe we should consider he was not allowed, or the club could not get their first choice for whatever reason.

As for the fag packet maths - think you need to look at the last set (or two) of the accounts - we have spent less on player fees than we received and we made a profit, fact. Reason the money is gone maybe in part due to salaries etc., but also because we cleared off some debt - which is all fine as it is KL's money and she can do what she wants with it (as I have said many times). No way are we the bottom four earners (from all sources) in the EPL, yet our budget is (confirmed by RK, and not denied by anyone at the club, so for me at least there is no reason to disbelieve it). 100% of our turnover does not go in to players / club wages, agent fees etc. In fact once again we are one of the lower ratio's in this respect (which is a good thing), and would not be allowed under the fair play rules in any case. So not sure how much of our "player" profit goes in to wages, and the same is true for Agent fee's, last EPL official report puts us again near the bottom. Next set of accounts will be interesting read for sure.

In football, as in most business, investment = results. If (for whatever reason) we do not want to invest as much as others so be it, but then don't harp on about Champions League etc. etc. Let's just say, the Southampton Way is EPL survival to mid table, with a good cup run every few seasons, and developing young players in to better ones for bigger clubs, which by the way is fine for me (much better than L1), as I have been a Saints fan for 40 years with more or less the same club ambition.

Anyway, it's just my view - what do I know?

I agree we should try and hang on to RK, a club like ours needs a degree of stability, I think Wenger for example would have had a lot more success but for the City and Chelsea owners having more money than brain cells (and Fergie of course...). RK I think generally has the support of the fans, the dressing room I'm not so sure, I detect the team spirit is not quite 100% - compare us to Leicester or Bournemouth for example. The spend/sell issue will be continuous for us, the question is can RK manage all aspects ? In perspective we haven't really been dicked this season except Liverpool and maybe City away - 3-1 and we gave them a game for a while no disgrace there.

Its the annoying defeats that p*** me off (Stoke 0-1, Norwich 0-1, West Ham 1-2, Palace 0-1) - come on Shane, stay behind and pactice, the Playstation can wait !

Indeed, nobody takes him seriously with the exception of Dalek.

I've not been on here too much over the festive period but, looking back, you've got to admire 'Dalek' for the number of bites that his posts have attracted following the West Ham and Norwich results :)

I agree we should try and hang on to RK, a club like ours needs a degree of stability, I think Wenger for example would have had a lot more success but for the City and Chelsea owners having more money than brain cells (and Fergie of course...). RK I think generally has the support of the fans, the dressing room I'm not so sure, I detect the team spirit is not quite 100% - compare us to Leicester or Bournemouth for example. The spend/sell issue will be continuous for us, the question is can RK manage all aspects ? In perspective we haven't really been dicked this season except Liverpool and maybe City away - 3-1 and we gave them a game for a while no disgrace there.

Its the annoying defeats that p*** me off (Stoke 0-1, Norwich 0-1, West Ham 1-2, Palace 0-1) - come on Shane, stay behind and pactice, the Playstation can wait !

Over the last five or six seasons I think we have proved comprehensively that stability is massively over-rated.

Over the last five or six seasons I think we have proved comprehensively that stability is massively over-rated.

Arguably a slightly impossible to prove statement. Imagine what could have been achieved with a bit of stability, players staying and quality added. Things are currently not great, stability in the playing squad could arguably have meant better and stronger team spirit plus continuing to compete for a top 6 place at very least.

Arguably a slightly impossible to prove statement. Imagine what could have been achieved with a bit of stability, players staying and quality added. Things are currently not great, stability in the playing squad could arguably have meant better and stronger team spirit plus continuing to compete for a top 6 place at very least.

Or, we got relegated under Adkins and he fails to take us up in the two following seasons we give him to get back up. Still, five years of stability.

I've not been on here too much over the festive period but, looking back, you've got to admire 'Dalek' for the number of bites that his posts have attracted following the West Ham and Norwich results :)

Funnily enough he only posted once after the Arsenal game...strange that.

Koeman has done a pretty damn decent job given the evisceration of the team every summer. We would be mad to want to lose him. We aren't going to be spoilt for choice of high calibre managers wanting to come to a business model that emphasises buy --> develop --> sell at 2-3x price annually at the expense of achievement and silverware on the field.

Yes he has made errors and dodgy selections and subs (or lack of subs!) at times and this season has been frustrating. Jury is out as to whether he is to blame for the flow of academy grand cru seemingly reducing to a drip and now dry. Maybe the latest vintages are just not up to it.

He won't resign. Resign = no pay off. Resign = reputation as quitter. No he will wait to be sacked like they all do, or not renew.

Edited by adrian lord

Guilty as charged I'm afraid but ffs it does get tedious doesn't it , if there was a slight sense of irony I'd get it but to constantly revel in saying we're doomed and we will be relegated is tiresome ! At least alpine has an opinion , Dalek just trolls for attention and I'm afraid I do bite because as hard as it may seem we are all supposed to be supporters but some posters just want to prove a (non) valid point rant over sorry

I wasn't being serious

No I guessed that but the point still stands, we do not pay enough to attract a top, top manager and keep anyone half decent. Then again few clubs actually do. Pochettino was one of the lowest paid managers in the PL during his time here so he ferked off for a bit more money.

Edited by Window Cleaner

Funnily enough he only posted once after the Arsenal game...strange that.

Sadly there seems to be a faction who want to believe that the club is run by a bunch of clowns, who think our players are substandard and who see everything through a black filter. When things are not going so well they come out of the woodwork and tell everyone else that they were right all along. The fact that we are still mid table and are just as close to a European spot as we are a relegation fight doesn't stop them from peddling their pessimism. It must have been so galling when we had our best Premiership finish ever last year after they had been telling us we were screwed in the summer. Same this year when we beat Chelsea and went unbeaten for 6 games. But they are in their element again now and despite the fact that we are clearly not as bad as the bottom teams in the Premiership they use the recent poor run of form to make up for the hurt of last season and the last two summers when the club proved it could continue to exist despite losing the omnipotent Nicola Cortese and a raft of players who clearly wanted to be somewhere else. Alpine calls this sneering. I call it pragmatism. We have had a great last few years and now we are going to go through a period of plying our trade in the mid table of the Premiership. If this season had been offered a couple of years back most of us would have taken it with both hands. But now we have a crap Board, a crap Manager and half a team who should be no where near the Premiership if you believe certain posters? Really? Not so long ago people outside the club were lining up to say that we were a shining example of how a modern medium sized club should be run. Even then those on the Dark Side were still chipping away whenever the team had the temerity to lose a football match. Maintaining a high position in the Premiership is no easy task if you haven't got bottomless pockets, as Leicester will soon be finding out. If we can maintain our Premiership status with some good cup runs and the occasional tilt at European football then that is good enough for me as we will never have the financial clout to be a "top four" club. As for relegation, I will worry about that if it becomes a possibility but at the moment I don't believe it is.

Sadly there seems to be a faction who want to believe that the club is run by a bunch of clowns, who think our players are substandard and who see everything through a black filter. When things are not going so well they come out of the woodwork and tell everyone else that they were right all along. The fact that we are still mid table and are just as close to a European spot as we are a relegation fight doesn't stop them from peddling their pessimism. It must have been so galling when we had our best Premiership finish ever last year after they had been telling us we were screwed in the summer. Same this year when we beat Chelsea and went unbeaten for 6 games. But they are in their element again now and despite the fact that we are clearly not as bad as the bottom teams in the Premiership they use the recent poor run of form to make up for the hurt of last season and the last two summers when the club proved it could continue to exist despite losing the omnipotent Nicola Cortese and a raft of players who clearly wanted to be somewhere else. Alpine calls this sneering. I call it pragmatism. We have had a great last few years and now we are going to go through a period of plying our trade in the mid table of the Premiership. If this season had been offered a couple of years back most of us would have taken it with both hands. But now we have a crap Board, a crap Manager and half a team who should be no where near the Premiership if you believe certain posters? Really? Not so long ago people outside the club were lining up to say that we were a shining example of how a modern medium sized club should be run. Even then those on the Dark Side were still chipping away whenever the team had the temerity to lose a football match. Maintaining a high position in the Premiership is no easy task if you haven't got bottomless pockets, as Leicester will soon be finding out. If we can maintain our Premiership status with some good cup runs and the occasional tilt at European football then that is good enough for me as we will never have the financial clout to be a "top four" club. As for relegation, I will worry about that if it becomes a possibility but at the moment I don't believe it is.

Exactly.

That's fair enough but then on the other side of coin is people like you that no matter what they only see through rose coloured specs and refuse to believe that anything could ever be wrong. We have lost 7 out of 9 - players are wandering about the pitch don't give a **** yet still play 90 minutes. Some player's despite showing promise hardly get picked.

The manager has publicly stated there is an attitude and discipline issue yet that's his job to fix and he doesn't seem to have done this so far.

None of us want anything bad said about our club but sometimes when things are wrong forums like this are a good place to vent and air it.

So I take it I can't include you on one of the pitchforks from the Bargate march?

That's fair enough but then on the other side of coin is people like you that no matter what they only see through rose coloured specs and refuse to believe that anything could ever be wrong. We have lost 7 out of 9 - players are wandering about the pitch don't give a **** yet still play 90 minutes. Some player's despite showing promise hardly get picked.

The manager has publicly stated there is an attitude and discipline issue yet that's his job to fix and he doesn't seem to have done this so far.

None of us want anything bad said about our club but sometimes when things are wrong forums like this are a good place to vent and air it.

So I take it I can't include you on one of the pitchforks from the Bargate march?

Football is cyclical. For the last few seasons we have always finished above the previous season's final placing. This season we will, in all likelihood, finish lower.

We have come a long way from watching the team losing a league game against Rochdale at home; or going into meltdown whilst the 10 men put up the barricade against Sheffield United to stay in the championship. We are also better than we were during those seemingly endless years when we were around the relegation zone all season. As supporters we cannot afford to fund or influence decisions, so why not enjoy the ride.

Whatever the current incumbents do, we are Southampton and proud, and for that I can live with the occasional point drought.

People like you? :( You are wrong. I don't only see things through rose coloured specs and I don't refuse believe that anything could ever be wrong. Something is clearly not working at the moment. However there is a difference in opinion between when the pitchforks should come out and there seems to be a group that have had them in the back of the car and have been itching to use them for some time now.

ps I should add that I predicted that we would get only one point from the last 3 games so that hardly makes me a happy clapper!

Edited by sadoldgit

People like you? :( You are wrong. I don't only see things through rose coloured specs and I don't refuse believe that anything could ever be wrong. Something is clearly not working at the moment. However there is a difference in opinion between when the pitchforks should come out and there seems to be a group that have had them in the back of the car and have been itching to use them for some time now.

What are you on about? There are no pitch forks or whatever stupid analogy you want to serve up. It's just a football forum. I'll let you in on a little secret formula for how it works....when the team/club is performing well in all or most facets, people are generally very happy there will be lots of positive comments. When the team/club is not doing well in all or most facets, people are generally more negative and there will be more negative comments. There isn't a faction of support booing the team, manager, board etc. Just some posts on a football forum and your tiresome little crusade against this is just pointless.

What are you on about? There are no pitch forks or whatever stupid analogy you want to serve up. It's just a football forum. I'll let you in on a little secret formula for how it works....when the team/club is performing well in all or most facets, people are generally very happy there will be lots of positive comments. When the team/club is not doing well in all or most facets, people are generally more negative and there will be more negative comments. There isn't a faction of support booing the team, manager, board etc. Just some posts on a football forum and your tiresome little crusade against this is just pointless.

Calm down dear. As you say it is only a football forum. By the way re pitchforks, go and look at post #334. Also I should add that Batman was trying to get people to dress up as clowns the other day (the Arsenal match I think) in protest at the way the club is being run. Ok, not quite pitchforks but a protest is a protest. Oh and if you find me tiresome just a little tip. Put me on ignore.

Calm down dear. As you say it is only a football forum. By the way re pitchforks, go and look at post #334. Also I should add that Batman was trying to get people to dress up as clowns the other day (the Arsenal match I think) in protest at the way the club is being run. Ok, not quite pitchforks but a protest is a protest. Oh and if you find me tiresome just a little tip. Put me on ignore.

LOL, he was joking you wally.

What on earth are you talking about SADOLDGIT like me is a realist and may realise that like me team sometimes endure bad runs something the Saints are doing now.

Chelsea had a bad run and are now probably going to finish a lot higher than us.

Our squad is pretty good with loads off to the euros in the Summer and it is up to RK to produce good results if not like Jose he will be receiving his P45

that was not remotely serious

This pretty much, it's just differing views on a virtual forum, with a handful of posters taking it seriously and getting uppity (I told you so and so on et al...) depending on form and fortune. Most of it is tongue in cheek and some of it an attempted wind up, but if you're a Saints fan posting on here you probably want to see your side doing as well as possible, and there are various shades of what that means. I would offer that in the last year our Chairman and Director of Football haven't helped a great deal in terms of fan expectation with comments like '"We have the structure to reach the Champions League in the next five years. But it's important to be established as a top-six club over that period," "We have set our own standards now and we are confident over the course of the coming years we will play in Europe and we are confident we are right to have an aspiration to play in the Champions League," and "We have an unbelievable track record of development so that can bring us to be a big club. We just need to do that for a few more years. Every single club that evolved went through this before they became a big club." This is allied to a period of supporting Saints when we've been more or less an irresistible force. The hope amongst Saints fans, positive or negative at present, is that the current run of awful form is a blip and that we can consolidate and improve, nobody with any common sense will gloat if we don't and nobody with any common sense should gloat if we do.

This pretty much, it's just differing views on a virtual forum, with a handful of posters taking it seriously and getting uppity (I told you so and so on et al...) depending on form and fortune. Most of it is tongue in cheek and some of it an attempted wind up, but if you're a Saints fan posting on here you probably want to see your side doing as well as possible, and there are various shades of what that means. I would offer that in the last year our Chairman and Director of Football haven't helped a great deal in terms of fan expectation with comments like '"We have the structure to reach the Champions League in the next five years. But it's important to be established as a top-six club over that period," "We have set our own standards now and we are confident over the course of the coming years we will play in Europe and we are confident we are right to have an aspiration to play in the Champions League," and "We have an unbelievable track record of development so that can bring us to be a big club. We just need to do that for a few more years. Every single club that evolved went through this before they became a big club." This is allied to a period of supporting Saints when we've been more or less an irresistible force. The hope amongst Saints fans, positive or negative at present, is that the current run of awful form is a blip and that we can consolidate and improve, nobody with any common sense will gloat if we don't and nobody with any common sense should gloat if we do.

I would suggest that there is a difference between gloating and wallowing in negativity but that is just my opinion? ;)

ps I should add that I predicted that we would get only one point from the last 3 games so that hardly makes me a happy clapper!

I'm with you. In my 60 years of supporting Saints I have experienced the extreme highs and lows of their Journey up and down the leagues. Yes, we have some challenges at the moment but I saw a team against Arsenal that was clearly capable of achieving success. I believe that we are not far away. Take our GD. It is far superior than anyone else around and about us and that reflects that when we do lose we are not getting hammered or outplayed. Fine lines. We, the fans have a responsibility to help turn our fortunes around. We are just as much a part of the club as RK and the rest. We keep going on about players attitudes. Well, our attitude is also an important factor. I am going to support my heart out for the rest of the season and help take us up the table.

I'm with you. In my 60 years of supporting Saints I have experienced the extreme highs and lows of their Journey up and down the leagues. Yes, we have some challenges at the moment but I saw a team against Arsenal that was clearly capable of achieving success. I believe that we are not far away. Take our GD. It is far superior than anyone else around and about us and that reflects that when we do lose we are not getting hammered or outplayed. Fine lines. We, the fans have a responsibility to help turn our fortunes around. We are just as much a part of the club as RK and the rest. We keep going on about players attitudes. Well, our attitude is also an important factor. I am going to support my heart out for the rest of the season and help take us up the table.

Good post.

But vocal support isn't going to open the club's wallet to provide Koeman with funds for much needed team strengthening.

We may be losing by the odd goal, but 7 out of 9 losses is extremely worrying.

No good keep blaming the club, Koeman has had money, and spent it. Some of the signings under his watch have been less than impressive, but under no circumstances, should we be looking to spend beyond our means, the fish fiddlers down the road, will attest to that folly! I like Koeman, both as a player and as a person, but he needs to be tougher in his handling of the team imho, too much player power.

Not sure if this was the thread where people were regaling the Stoke model but guess what.....Arnautovic isn't keen on a new contract it would seem. Mind with their board they are bound to have a solution. We can watch and learn.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/stoke-city/12084982/Marko-Arnautovics-future-at-Stoke-City-thrown-into-doubt.html

Not sure if this was the thread where people were regaling the Stoke model but guess what.....Arnautovic isn't keen on a new contract it would seem. Mind with their board they are bound to have a solution. We can watch and learn.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/stoke-city/12084982/Marko-Arnautovics-future-at-Stoke-City-thrown-into-doubt.html

:lol::lol: And another joins the club of 'patronising ****s who think they know it all', hopefully Turkish and CB Fry will be throwing you a welcome party. What a chump.

Interesting Stokes best player is on 70K a week anyone now how that compares to saints?