Saints Transfers Thread - Deadline Day

Saint Charlie

Two experienced players that would in my opinion makes sense (wage dependant):-

Chris Smalling - would be an excellent straight in the team proven pl player.

Samir Nasri - a definite upgrade on our midfield, also proven quality.

We need to get some players in who have played in the pl, so we can get off to a front foot start for a change...

Two players I'd avoid like the Plague.

Nasri too big an ego and an absolute trouble maker.

Smalling is not worth the fee and wage demand he would command. If he would be willing to take a significant pay cut and the fee was right, I would consider, but I think there's better out there.

Smalling is not worth the fee and wage demand he would command. If he would be willing to take a significant pay cut and the fee was right, I would consider, but I think there's better out there.

There's reports this morning that Smalling would be available for 10m which I think is excellent value. Id be extremely happy with that bit of business

There's reports this morning that Smalling would be available for 10m which I think is excellent value. Id be extremely happy with that bit of business

If he's available for 10 million he'll not have to go far, Everton will snap him up at that price, even Liverpool. I'd think that for a player of his quality we'll be way down the pecking order, probably even behind West Ham.

I'd love to know who you think is a better, pl experienced centre back, that we could afford, better than Smalling?

Someone who could go straight into our team and do the job from day 1.

Given that our last three 'big' CB signings have been Lovren, Alderweireld and Van Dijk, i'd be very disappointed if we signed Smalling. He really isn't very good and gets away with constant shirt pulling that would get penalised if he played for us. No thanks, clumsy.

Smalling is appalling, seriously he is not very good at all

I'd love to know who you think is a better, pl experienced centre back, that we could afford, better than Smalling?

Someone who could go straight into our team and do the job from day 1.

Personally I'd have Ake, De Vrij, Zouma and Andreas Christensen over Smalling.

I'm sure the scouting team will come up trumps with whoever they pick as we've generally been very good at recruiting in that position.

Seriously? People wouldn't have Smalling or Delph?

Who do you guys think we are?

Delph was the token Englishman for City, like Rodwell and Sinclair, he's not a great player, he just runs about a lot and puts in a lot of hard tackles. We could sign a foreign guy to do just that for about £5mil with no English premium. Smalling had the media on side in the 2015/2016 season for some reason, but he's awful as was displayed at the Euro's. Jose knows this too and would rather play a mismatch back four than play Smalling unless he was absolutely forced to. Just because a player plays for Man United, doesn't mean he is good.

Delph was the token Englishman for City, like Rodwell and Sinclair, he's not a great player, he just runs about a lot and puts in a lot of hard tackles. We could sign a foreign guy to do just that for about £5mil with no English premium. Smalling had the media on side in the 2015/2016 season for some reason, but he's awful as was displayed at the Euro's. Jose knows this too and would rather play a mismatch back four than play Smalling unless he was absolutely forced to. Just because a player plays for Man United, doesn't mean he is good.

Well, that's one point of view. Another is we're a mid-tier PL Team with aspirations to break in to the top 6 on a regular basis. The thought that two England Internationals with European experience are not good enough is a somewhat jaundiced view.

As it happens I don't think we will sign either - not our style. But if we did, I would welcome them.

Amazing isn't it. Not surprised though, remember when we signed Ryan Bertrand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Honestly?

Given the ridiculous wages we'd have to pay them, the fact they aren't anything significantly better than what we have, and the fact that both would block homegrown/academy players... I'm astounded you would sign them?!?!

What do you reckon their wages are, 100k-150k...

I'd rather stephens gets game time than Smalling, and I'd wager that the change in ability is not worth the costs involved between yoshi, stephens and smalling.

Then for Delph, who's spot does he take, JWP, Redmond, Davis, Boufal... Its just not worth the money. No way.

Get better for cheaper, or play kids.

Also, when we signed Bertrand we had a gaping hole in the team following the sale of Shaw...

Honestly?

Given the ridiculous wages we'd have to pay them, the fact they aren't anything significantly better than what we have, and the fact that both would block homegrown/academy players... I'm astounded you would sign them?!?!

What do you reckon their wages are, 100k-150k...

I'd rather stephens gets game time than Smalling, and I'd wager that the change in ability is not worth the costs involved between yoshi, stephens and smalling.

Then for Delph, who's spot does he take, JWP, Redmond, Davis, Boufal... Its just not worth the money. No way.

Get better for cheaper, or play kids.

Also, when we signed Bertrand we had a gaping hole in the team following the sale of Shaw...

I agree with you on Smalling, but Delph would surely be as a second holding midfielder, so up against PEH, Classie and Reed, not the three you named. And personally i think he's significantly better than all of those. Yes he'd need to take a wage cut, probably subsidised by Citeh, but in that scenario i think he'd be an asset.

To be fair I think Smalling is fairly decent and we've done alright taking players who haven't quite shined at big clubs before i.e. Bertrand and Romeu. Would depend on the fee and wages but Smalling would improve our defence at the moment IMO, Delph I'm not really sure we need, is he any better than what we have? I'd rather keep going with Hojberg as the guy is only 20 and will hopefully improve, whereas Delph is unlikely to get any better and you are hoping he recaptures his form for Villa.

Gibson would be a solid signing though.

Not mentioned as being in the race for Iheanacho....

Manchester City are also set to offload a number of other fringe players, including Nigeria international Kelechi Iheanacho who is attracting interest from Leicester, Everton, Swansea and Crystal Palace.

Source: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/06/15/huddersfield-close-smashing-transfer-record-10m-aaron-mooy/?WT.mc_id=tmg_share_tw

Gibson looked okay in an ultra defensive Boro set up, but when they finally tried to come out and play, after Karanka was sacked, they shipped goals for fun and he didn't look remotely adequate. It wasn't even like they were playing kamikaze all out attack. Just slightly less hunkered down - and he couldn't cope.

File under Roger Johnson and Scott Dann, who seemed reasonable in a dogged Birmingham side a few years ago but have been rather shown up for the limited carthorses they are since.

For the price Gibson would command, we should expect to find better - probably overseas, as usual...

Few on Twitter reckon we're leading the race for Sakho. Annoyingly the assumption that follows is that we'll be happy to send VVD the other way if we get Sakho. Liverpool fans also seem to value Sakho at £30-£40mil :scared:, mental. A centre half who's played hardly any football in the last 2 years (although was very good at Palace), presumably doesn't have that much longer left on his contract, has a long term knee injury and has damaged relations with the club beyond repair. If we pay anything above £20million I despair.

Few on Twitter reckon we're leading the race for Sakho. Annoyingly the assumption that follows is that we'll be happy to send VVD the other way if we get Sakho. Liverpool fans also seem to value Sakho at £30-£40mil :scared:, mental. A centre half who's played hardly any football in the last 2 years (although was very good at Palace), presumably doesn't have that much longer left on his contract, has a long term knee injury and has damaged relations with the club beyond repair. If we pay anything above £20million I despair.

Who on Twitter?

Not a rumour, but I'd love to see Marco Benassi at Saints, captain of both Torino and Italy under 21's, looks to have a real blend of attributes, can tackle, but likes to roam forward Aswell, 6ft+ looks like he can handle himself.

Aha! just posted about him on the U21 thread. Pretty sure we were linked with him a season or 2 back.

Aha! just posted about him on the U21 thread. Pretty sure we were linked with him a season or 2 back.

Yeah we were linked with him 2 years ago, so I make a point of watching him now and then if Torino are on TV. He helped contribute to the goal Italy scored tonight by challenging for header at the back post, we are missing that so much since selling Pelle, Wanyama etc.

Would be a definite upgrade on Clasie IMO.

That't it then - always knew it would happen. I have gone senile and am living in my own happy little world, but strangely it's not that happy - guess it's penance, prior to the journey to hell!

Remember talking to Emlyn Hughes a few years ago (truly fantastic guy) and he was on a £100 a week (yes £100) during his hey days at Liverpool, and had to work after his footy career ended to support his family. It's just sickening what this industry has turned in to (certainly not just a game any more).

Spurs want £20m for Wimmer.

Wtf.

We could probably do better for half of that fee.As for Sakho, ridiculous to suggest even £20m.

Personally I don't think we should look to deal with either of their clubs.

Wonder if we'll go back for Schar.

The general consensus on here seems to be that VVD is a £70m player. However there are loads of posts dismissing other clubs valuations of their players as ridiculously overpriced? If VVD is 70 then people need to accept that it's going to drag a lot of bang average CB's into the 20/30 million bracket and we'll have to pay that for our (possibly but hopefully not) bang average replacement.