England Squad for Euro 2016

Batman

Just a quick question, and it'll stop me staring another thread just to get an answer.

Has anyone ever watched an England game lately and though, 'Christ we need Rooney on.'

I will concede his goal was a blinder, but it was against Australia. I just wish he would bloody retire, then Woy could stop feeling he has to pick him because ...'he's the team capting(sic)'.

Edited by Secret Site Agent

Just a quick question, and it'll stop me staring another thread just to get an answer.

Has anyone ever watched an England game lately and though, 'Chris we need Rooney on.'

I will concede his goal was a blinder, but it was against Australia. I just wish he would bloody retire, then Woy could stop feeling he has to pick him because ...'he's the team capting(sic)'.

Completely agree, in fact I can't think of one player in recent times that I believed could come on and change the game. And to speak of the national side like that is really bad, but unfortunately true. And when I think of Rooney I simply cannot view him as a captain of anything, definitely doesn't inspire his team mates, doesn't lead by example and just isn't captain material.

Tbh if the England manager showed some guts and actually turned around and told the players what he expects from them and actually sticks to his word by dropping players who aren't performing you would find a lot less criticism.

Instead of which you see the same players picked time and again despite the fact they they don't put in a performance at the competitions we want to see England win. I know I'm very negative about the national side, there's a reason for it - im tired of seeing the team underperform and I believe that drastic action is required to shake things up.

Tbh I'm actually a little surprised Hodgson has picked more youth but I am also very disappointed that he has picked players who have consistently failed as well

So... who has failed time and time again??

Hart - a bit harsh if you were to say yes

Forster - clearly not

Heaton - clearly not

Clyne - nope

Walker - dodgy, questionable but young

Rose - see Walker

Bertrand - nope

Cahill, Smalling - hardly failures, clearly the best we have

Stones - jury out but doesnt hit your Failed List

Milner - yep he could be included

Dier - clearly not

Henderson - see Walker

Wheelchair - hardly a failure given his lack of game time

Lallana - clearly not

Raheem - needs to sort himself out but hardly a failure

Alli - er Nope

Barclay - jury out but not failed on the big stage (yet)

Kane - nope

Rooney - yep

Vardy - nope

Sturridge - nope

Rashford - nope

Has anyone ever watched an England game lately and though, 'Chris we need Rooney on.'

I can't think of many players in the England team that I think similar of, I'm not bashing the squad but there are no Ronaldo's or Messi's there for sure.

But if you read journos and pundits they are virtually unanimous in picking Rooney. It's not just Hodgson, it really isn't.

So... who has failed time and time again??

Hart - a bit harsh if you were to say yes

Forster - clearly not

Heaton - clearly not

Clyne - nope

Walker - dodgy, questionable but young

Rose - see Walker

Bertrand - nope

Cahill, Smalling - hardly failures, clearly the best we have

Stones - jury out but doesnt hit your Failed List

Milner - yep he could be included

Dier - clearly not

Henderson - see Walker

Wheelchair - hardly a failure given his lack of game time

Lallana - clearly not

Raheem - needs to sort himself out but hardly a failure

Alli - er Nope

Barclay - jury out but not failed on the big stage (yet)

Kane - nope

Rooney - yep

Vardy - nope

Sturridge - nope

Rashford - nope

Sorry should have made myself clearer - I was talking about the older players such as Milner and Rooney. In my view they've had plenty of chances and they've never put in a performance that has seen England even get near to a final let alone bring home silverware. Your assessment is pretty good but I disagree about Wilshere - his lack of gametime this season is precisely the reason he should not be going.

I'm surprised there hasn't been a single mention of Bertrand as a LCB option. I thought he was solid for us in that position, disciplined and did a good defensive job, played enough games in the position for it not to be a fluke.

Roy would never do it, but the best way to retain our attacking threat and shore up our defensive issue is to play with 5 at the back, 2 higher playing attacking fullbacks and 3 defensive minded CB's. We maximise attacking play by lowering the pressure on the attacking fullbacks but when we need to we can plug the holes we currently have. Against the better teams we can play more defensively with Milner and the fullbacks playing deeper. On counter attacks we have overlaps or crossing options. I think something like a 5-1-3-1 would be effective working with what we have.

--------------Hart-----------------

----Stones, Cahill, Bertrand,----

Clyne ----------------------- Rose

--------------Milner---------------

-Rashford-----Alli------Sterling--

-------------- Kane----------------

Subs options: Kane for Vardy, Sterling for Lallana, Rashford for Barkley/Sturridge, Alli for Rooney, Milner for Dier. Smalling locked in a cupboard.

Yes I'm probably talking **** but Saints did well against big attacking teams this season with 5 at the back.

I think that could be an option late on in a game to hold a lead but atm my team would be

-------------Hart-------------------

Clyne-Smalling-Cahill-Bertrand

---------Dier---Wilshere-------

Lallana----Rooney-----Alli----

-----------Kane------------------

I would leave out Rooney n swap for Alli but wouldn't start Sterling and Rashford has just come in so really don't know who I'd play on the left! (maybe Rose?) but we all know Roy will start him.

Our left wing options if we have Lallana on the right are

Sterling- used to be good but has been in poor form and his tracking back and finishing is atrocious

Rashford- Raw new to senior football let alone international tournaments and is naturally a striker

Milner- Work horse but could be considered as average as an attacking option, though will not let you down defensively

Alli- Quality player in form but much more effective in his natural position in the middle either AMC or CM

Rose- Considering we have 2 decent left backs and are weak defensively would it be a good idea to play both of them considering our other options?

Rooney- Played there before under Alex Ferguson and did a good job to be fair, older now though even slower than he was before and personally wouldn't have him in the first 11

Quite a conundrum and none of them seem to be the perfect option. We've been here before for the LW position haven't we :lol:

[quote name=notnowcat

Rooney yep[/quote]

i think the jury is still out on Rooney. He brings a lot of experience to a young squad and has to get used to a new playing style nearer midfield. He is not first choice forward quality any more, but I think he is still capable of some brilliant classy moments that change games. And he score goals when others can't.

i think the jury is still out on Rooney. He brings a lot of experience to a young squad and has to get used to a new playing style nearer midfield. He is not first choice forward quality any more, but I think he is still capable of some brilliant classy moments that change games. And he score goals when others can't.

The jury should never ever be out on the team captain. Not ever, not once.

He shouldn't even be in the squad, his time is done. I don't buy the 'we need his experience' argument either. Experience of what? Failing at tournaments or scoring against the international equivalents of the Dog and Duck 5-a-side charity team?

Good doc on BBC1 on Euro 96, reminder of how many characters and a proper team that lot were, not the same with this current lot.

Always makes me sad when I see people laughing about Gazza's antics. Everyone likes a few drinks and a laugh but nobody really seemed to care about his mental health back then. Shearer has a point; if only he'd gone to Utd and played under Fergie, maybe he'd have a bit more self discipline.

Always makes me sad when I see people laughing about Gazza's antics. Everyone likes a few drinks and a laugh but nobody really seemed to care about his mental health back then. Shearer has a point; if only he'd gone to Utd and played under Fergie, maybe he'd have a bit more self discipline.

I doubt it personally, just the way the bloke is built.

Leaving for Lazio didn't help as bloke was in meltdown as no way had maturity for living in Italy. And Paul McGrath still has problems.

I'm always saddened when I think about what happened to Gazza, an absolute diamond of a player who got the wrong people around him. Can't stand it when he has a relapse and the media jump all over it - just wish they would leave the poor bloke alone.

Anyone know if Deli Alli is a practicing Muslim?

The reason I ask is his inclusion in the England squad may be Hodgeson's biggest gaff ever.

The 6th of June sees the start of Ramadan for one month!!

PS Maybe why Theo wasn't selected

Good doc on BBC1 on Euro 96, reminder of how many characters and a proper team that lot were, not the same with this current lot.

If Venables had included Le Tissier in that side they might have had enough to win it. Very frustrating at the time.

If Venables had included Le Tissier in that side they might have had enough to win it. Very frustrating at the time.

And we all complained about the squad selected. We moaned more after the first game, a dull as hell 1-1 draw with Switzerland. We didn't play well against the Sweaties and should have lost the Q/F to Spain, but for a dodgy lino in our favour.

The only good performances were against Holland and Germany, but as with a lot of revisionism, this was the a golden era.

If there had been a SWF forum back then, there would be exactly the same posts and the same bollix, as we are getting now.

Our left wing options if we have Lallana on the right are

Sterling- used to be good but has been in poor form and his tracking back and finishing is atrocious

Rashford- Raw new to senior football let alone international tournaments and is naturally a striker

Milner- Work horse but could be considered as average as an attacking option, though will not let you down defensively

Alli- Quality player in form but much more effective in his natural position in the middle either AMC or CM

Rose- Considering we have 2 decent left backs and are weak defensively would it be a good idea to play both of them considering our other options?

Rooney- Played there before under Alex Ferguson and did a good job to be fair, older now though even slower than he was before and personally wouldn't have him in the first 11

Quite a conundrum and none of them seem to be the perfect option. We've been here before for the LW position haven't we :lol:

Push Bertrand up the pitch...

after the game last night, Roy has ensured Vardy will have played himself out of the side.

why do we do it. why do we pick players who are clearly not match fit, shoe-horn in others and move seriously in-form players out of the side or at best, to an alternative position.

this is the side I think Roy will start with

Hart

Walker

Smalling

Cahill

Rose

Wilshere

Dier

Lallana

Rooney

Alli (wide)

Kane

he simply HAS to have rooney somewhere in the side it seems.

Anyone know if Deli Alli is a practicing Muslim?

The reason I ask is his inclusion in the England squad may be Hodgeson's biggest gaff ever.

The 6th of June sees the start of Ramadan for one month!!

PS Maybe why Theo wasn't selected

Are you for real? There's Albania, Turkey, a host of Muslim French players in the tournament... I think they'll all be fine

And we all complained about the squad selected. We moaned more after the first game, a dull as hell 1-1 draw with Switzerland. We didn't play well against the Sweaties and should have lost the Q/F to Spain, but for a dodgy lino in our favour.

The only good performances were against Holland and Germany, but as with a lot of revisionism, this was the a golden era.

If there had been a SWF forum back then, there would be exactly the same posts and the same bollix, as we are getting now.

We won two matches in that tournament and one of those was against bloody Scotland.