Losing Interest

Heisenberg

Then too, I am proud of the way that Saints played at Arsenal, and do see some hope. If only we had prioritised purchasing a proper replacement for Mane before he left. So did I feel that the club has let the club and fans down a little? Yes. I want the Board to demonstrate more ambition, because like all fans everywhere I want to see my club progressing.

Like Boufal? Granted he's missing the start of the season but he could be the equal or surpass what Mane did for us.

weirdly your post count on here seems to have shot up since you lost interest in saints .....

Loves to wallow in negativity

Spare us the angst. If you don't like the PL and you're disallusioned with Saints f*** off to Mumsnet and discuss breast feeding.

Great suggestion

Does that mean you'll stop creating multiple accounts to troll the forum, or is it just the football you lost interest in & still love the trolling?

If only

Fair question :thumbup:

Indeed it is..

Or at least utilise technologies to referee contentious decisions.

The modern game desperately needs some modifications and referees could really benefit from technologies.

Rugby, NFL, Cricket they all use technology now to verify decisions - it’s improved the game.

Goal line technology has all we’ve been given past few years

The focus on the big clubs is bigger than ever and I find it unbearable.

This is what I find difficult to manage.

Last season was a bad season for the big clubs by their standards, so now the efforts are being doubled to promote them - probably because of the global market.

Lets face it, how many teams in the Spanish/German/Italian/French leagues is your average joe interested in, outside of the 'big' clubs in those leagues? A few, but not too many, I'd suggest. For example, I see lots of Barcelona shirts in the UK, but not many Sevilla shirts (even though they've won the Europa league 3 years on the trot).

If Saints had made a 'big name' signing during the summer, there may be more excitement now. A big signing often does that to any club, generates hope for the season. We made good signings, but with all respect to our new players, no marquee names.

Well, it is now just a multi million pound business for buying, developing and selling on players. Those of us who were brought up on football clubs striving to win honours, will struggle to maintain an interest. It used to be sport in those days, rather than a business.

I'm interested this season - primarily because of the Europa League. I really hope we can make it out of the group to keep the second half of the season interesting. Obviously a domestic cup run would also help.

If I was a West Ham fan about now, I'd probably be pretty fed up.

I had a ST when I was a kid, stopped when I went away to uni, and started again once I had a job and could afford to get one. I have to say though, I'm probably a 50/50 to renew next year. If we make it to Europe again I will and if Boufal turns out to be brilliant I probably will. I know that sounds a bit glory-hunter-esque but frankly, that's not it; it's more about a connection, about having something to feel proud of.

It's apparent that any really good player we have will leave after about 2 seasons, maybe 3 if we're lucky. That really helps to stunt the emotional investment in the club that I built up when I watched Dodd, Benali, LeTissier in the early 90s and when I watched Morgan, Fonte, Lallana, KD etc. rise up the leagues. I still enjoy going to matches but sometimes I feel like a bit of a sucker for writing-off Saturday afternoons unquestioningly.

Losing Interest in SFC and football in general - seems to be a common theme across a number of threads just now.

From a personal perspective I found the whole summer at SFC and the start to our season all very predictable and if I’m honest I choose to walk up Ben Nevis on Saturday rather than watch us lose to Arsenal.

Similar stories coming from my friends in Bournemouth and Southampton who are struggling this season and can’t quite put their finger on why. All feels a bit uninspired and predictable this season?

Is it a mixture of our best players leaving every single summer, our poor start, net summer spend, new manager who is not inspiring many or are people now just coming to terms with our position (top 10 is probably all we can hope for)? Or are people just repulsed by the grotesque wages and transfers in the Prem now? Perhaps a combination of 3 or 4 things?

I’ve found myself watching more golf and NFL this past week - in months gone by I would be (given chance) on SSN all day every day. Something has changed!?

How are the rest of you feeling? With Europa and top 6 last season I was absolutely buzzing for the season to start back in May – I seem to have dropped from a 10 to a 5 over the past 4 months.

Me, I expected little in the summer got even less, koeman leaving was a curve ball but tbh I was more excited about the prospect of finding a poch-esque manager, then we hired puel which wasn't exciting in the least. When we were linked I thought it rubbish like the giggs, Neville links but turned out to be true, so I read up on him and was a bit excited about what he did at nice last season so crossed fingers he works out, jury's still out on that one. All in all The biggest let down for me was that I was hoping we'd clear some dead wood permanently or temporarily to make room for potentially great players who could act as cover for now and be starters in a few seasons. Deadwood IMO are players like yosh, gardos, cuco, j rod( temp), even u23s like isgrove, gape and the like who defo have no real future here and replace them with more promising same aged or younger players, but we decide that our deadwood is good enough and we played everything by " only what's needed an nothing more" absolutely no attempt to take next step, just to maintain current status( this still debatable). So have I lost interest? No way! Just underwhelmed, but will still do Everything I can to support and follow saints you just can't give up like that can you? But.. Ask me the same question if we get to the point when we become barren of any good players and we have to fight tooth and nail just to stay in the top flight season after season after having to hire a tony pulis, fat Sam mkII, then I'll probs have a different answer.

The thing I miss is feeling any kind of connection with most of the players, even when we were on the way up and the players were earning lots of money, they seemed like real people, and many of them had been with us for a long time and didn't seem to be going anywhere.

Once you get to the level we are now the money is so unbelievable it's hard to identify with the players or feel like we're all in it together, plus the good ones generally only stay for 2 years max.

I love Saints and for me the feeling we get when we win was just as good in the lower leagues. Now though I am drifting away. The grotesque wages, uninspiring manager and non descript direction we are going leaves me bored. It's expensive to follow football so they need to ***** my interest and for me it's not happening this season.

Losing interest must mean that there aren't enough games surely. It's the 13 th September and we've played just 4 competitive games since mid May. Once we get the old Tuesday/Sunday/Thursday going it will be much more interesting. Football is about playing and watching actual games not speculating about it for months on end on t'internet.

The thing I miss is feeling any kind of connection with most of the players, even when we were on the way up and the players were earning lots of money, they seemed like real people, and many of them had been with us for a long time and didn't seem to be going anywhere.

Once you get to the level we are now the money is so unbelievable it's hard to identify with the players or feel like we're all in it together, plus the good ones generally only stay for 2 years max.

Alot of us were spoilt and we had a hero in MLT who stuck with us from start to finish. Under the current ownership he would have been sold after a season or two

My nephew summed it up - I've been desperately trying to get him hooked on Saints (his dad is Liverpool) I buy him the kit each year and chat Saints whenever I see him. He's had lallana and Mane on his shirt past few years as I tell him they are the best players. Saints then go sell both to Liverpool!! What chance do I have

He is losing interest in Southampton and didn't want a shirt this season

International break didn't help. So tedious that early in the season. Tedious at the best of times when winning all your qualifiers with some merry band of ****s just means another pathetic tournament.

Don't get me started on England and international games. Lost interest in that years ago.

Peaked when we had a few in the England team but sure enough we sold them all :lol:

So the ones losing interest aren't actually Saints fans, they're premier league fans. The ones that are only interested in big name players, TV games, the ones that deserted the club in 2005 when they were needed more than ever. The ones that would rather have gone for a walk in the new Forest or had surprise great aunts 90th birthday parties when we had games against Rochdale, Oldham, gillingham etc. The ones who believed we were on an unstoppable March to the champions league because so midget from Italy told them what they wanted to hear.

The ones that are losing interest are the ones who don't get southampton FC. This is only the third time in our history we've achieved 3 consecutive top 10 finishes. We will have more European games this season than we've ever had. Although our team might not be the best we've had in recent seasons or our manager hasn't got a few onliners for the media How can anyone who knows anything about saints lose interest now?

I personally think the big clubs should be capped on the amount of money they can spend on players. If United have a rubbish season they can just go out and spunk 200 million on Carlos kick A balls. What hope does anybody else have? This is what is killing the game....

Just the start of this season has been a bit meh I was like ok the new kit looks toilet! Lets have a butchers at our manager.... Who the hell is this guy? Then I watched the first few games and was baffled tactics wise we look clueless like we have gone backwards.... Players in wise hojberg looks the best I dont rate anyone else and for Boufal the man is injured I cannot see how one player is going to come in and get us playing like Barcelona..... I honestly think Puel will be gone by christmas call me a moaner This is my opinion the guy has looked out of his depth.

It's just pathetic. We lose a few games at the start of a very competitive a Premier League and the heads drop. This is not a time for moaning, this is a time for getting behind Southampton FC, who are probably having their best run in decades. If you cannot do that, then I am afraid good riddance. You obviously never were and never will be a Saints fan. Just do not try to join in the glory when we go on a run when we manage to regroup and pull ourselves together because you are not wanted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jakko, why do you think all fans are so fickle? We are not, and it has nothing to do with the 4 games that we have played. I'm sorry that you fail to understand how others feel yet instead choose to lambast them. I would gop far as to say that it is the love of Saints that keeps me coming back. If I was ambivalent about Saints, then I would have given up with football by now, so while I dislike football for what it has become, my love of Saints is still stronger.

Jakko, why do you think all fans are so fickle? We are not, and it has nothing to do with the 4 games that we have played. I'm sorry that you fail to understand how others feel yet instead choose to lambast them. I would gop far as to say that it is the love of Saints that keeps me coming back. If I was ambivalent about Saints, then I would have given up with football by now, so while I dislike football for what it has become, my love of Saints is still stronger.

Seriously though if you have lost interest now, then how will you ever be able to support Southampton? If now is not good enough, then Southampton will never be the club for you. Every one who's a fan feels like poo after Saints have lost a match, that's expected.. but to go as far as saying you have lost interest is just frankly pathetic. You brush it off and get on with the next one.

Things I am bored of:

Internet trolls

Entitled people who think their team has the right to win everything

People with no sense of perspective

People with no patience

People slagging off the manager after 4 games

People who repeat their one-note argument with endless irrelevant tripe wrapped around it

The Champions League (since about 2000, but only until we're in it)

Top club media love-in

People using Leicester as some kind of template rather than seeing it for the incredible run of luck it was

Playing Crystal Palace in cups (though I'm going)

The Football League rebranding as if their history isn't their strength

Talking about diamonds

Things I am not bored of:

Going to away games

Saints in Europe

Logistical planning

Kits

The Premier League, it is what it is.

League Two and its immense pokiness

Losing Interest in SFC and football in general - seems to be a common theme across a number of threads just now.

From a personal perspective I found the whole summer at SFC and the start to our season all very predictable and if I’m honest I choose to walk up Ben Nevis on Saturday rather than watch us lose to Arsenal.

Similar stories coming from my friends in Bournemouth and Southampton who are struggling this season and can’t quite put their finger on why. All feels a bit uninspired and predictable this season?

Is it a mixture of our best players leaving every single summer, our poor start, net summer spend, new manager who is not inspiring many or are people now just coming to terms with our position (top 10 is probably all we can hope for)? Or are people just repulsed by the grotesque wages and transfers in the Prem now? Perhaps a combination of 3 or 4 things?

I’ve found myself watching more golf and NFL this past week - in months gone by I would be (given chance) on SSN all day every day. Something has changed!?

How are the rest of you feeling? With Europa and top 6 last season I was absolutely buzzing for the season to start back in May – I seem to have dropped from a 10 to a 5 over the past 4 months.

Heisenberg - you have nicely summed up my feelings here. Completely agree with you.

Its not down to 4 games it is the direction the club is going in..... Selling the best players every season

That's because we are a problem of our own success! However this current season we have amassed enough money to now start offering players bigger contracts and wages and hopefully make this a lot harder.

Got to say that I have hardly been on here this summer and I'm yet to watch a minute of football this season. So you can say that I am definitely losing interest in football as a whole.

But then I'm fickle and once we get a couple of wins I might start paying a bit more attention :)

So the ones losing interest aren't actually Saints fans, they're premier league fans. The ones that are only interested in big name players, TV games, the ones that deserted the club in 2005 when they were needed more than ever. The ones that would rather have gone for a walk in the new Forest or had surprise great aunts 90th birthday parties when we had games against Rochdale, Oldham, gillingham etc. The ones who believed we were on an unstoppable March to the champions league because so midget from Italy told them what they wanted to hear.

The ones that are losing interest are the ones who don't get southampton FC. This is only the third time in our history we've achieved 3 consecutive top 10 finishes. We will have more European games this season than we've ever had. Although our team might not be the best we've had in recent seasons or our manager hasn't got a few onliners for the media How can anyone who knows anything about saints lose interest now?

Bullsh*t.

Lack of stability doesn't help, players and managers passing through the club. I think Koeman leaving had more of an effect on us as a club than we gave it credit for, seemed to set a standard. Now we're not playing well, manager seems uninspiring, players seems unhappy. Maybe Puel can pull it back, it's still early days.

On May 15 this year I was feeling the best I've felt as a Saints fan since the 1980s. The feeling that weekend was one of pure joy and there was certainly nothing wrong with the Premier League then because we were 5th in it *****il Man Utd won their rearranged game) and in Europe on merit. In Mane we had one of the most exciting Saints players I'd ever seen and several of our players were going to feature in the European Championship finals. I couldn't wait for this season to start. Then the usual manager and player exodus started and I felt as low as I felt when Pochettino, Lambert, Shaw and Lallana left 2 years earlier: the highs and the lows of being a football fan. Maybe I take it all too seriously. The ones on here who don't seem to care whether we sell our best players or not, and seem to take more interest in the club's accounts, just don't get it as far as I'm concerned.

I just wish we would keep the players and managers longer, build team spirit, kick on and actually win something. The revolving door policy means that the team are largely strangers and it becomes increasingly difficult to relate to the players, knowing they are going to be sold to our rivals in a couple of years' time. I was beginning to identify with Mane as a potential all-time great Saints player and was looking forward to seeing him score 20+ goals for us this season but I just view Boufal now as some injured player I don't know who will be sold to Liverpool or Spurs in less than 2 years if he gets fit and turns out to be any good. It seems more about the business nowadays and less about the team so it does get harder to care. But, I still care enough that every time we lose I feel depressed and every time we win I feel great.

It's just pathetic. We lose a few games at the start of a very competitive a Premier League and the heads drop. This is not a time for moaning, this is a time for getting behind Southampton FC, who are probably having their best run in decades. If you cannot do that, then I am afraid good riddance. You obviously never were and never will be a Saints fan. Just do not try to join in the glory when we go on a run when we manage to regroup and pull ourselves together because you are not wanted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posts like this wind me up. Just because people moan and don't like the direction the club's going in, it doesn't mean they won't support the team on a Saturday afternoon.

Seriously though if you have lost interest now, then how will you ever be able to support Southampton? If now is not good enough, then Southampton will never be the club for you. Every one who's a fan feels like poo after Saints have lost a match, that's expected.. but to go as far as saying you have lost interest is just frankly pathetic. You brush it off and get on with the next one.

It's not bull**** and I would never be that arrogant to dismiss how people feel as being pathetic. And what has now got to do with it? That there is bull****. And when we lose a match, I don't feel like poo, so please give some of us more credit that being overly whimsical.

How old are you? Not going to say "oh it was different in the old days" although it was, but more that people change and what they like/do changes with age.

Posts like this wind me up. Just because people moan and don't like the direction the club's going in, it doesn't mean they won't support the team on a Saturday afternoon.

He sounds like an accounts man to me. He just doesn't care whether we win or lose, has no real interest in the team and his idols are probably Kat and Les for giving him a business model to follow.

Comment like this from players and agents before they've kicked a ball for us, show me what a soft touch we are and why all these new longterm contracts me nothing (other than more money for the owner)

Boufal agent

"He's coming back from injury, you're going to the Premier League, so you go to a club where you'll play, to a club that's used to bringing through young players [southampton] and then eventually you go to those big clubs. They have sold 14 players to Liverpool, United and Chelsea."

There are a lot of valid points made on this thread.

This season DOES feel different, like a purple patch has just ended.

I genuinely feel that the FA, PL, BBC, SKY and other media such as the Daily Mail have got together and decided that last season - Leicester winning the PL - was an aberration that must never happen again. The coverage has been ridiculous. I really feel like only 6 teams exist in English football. The refereeing decisions have been utterly bonkers.

We've been a resourceful, well run club since administration, bucking the trend, but this season feels like a battle too far. Not helped by our board believing their own hype and trying to be too cute with transfers and the managerial position.

I'll go with this....

I personally think the big clubs should be capped on the amount of money they can spend on players. If United have a rubbish season they can just go out and spunk 200 million on Carlos kick A balls. What hope does anybody else have? This is what is killing the game....

Just the start of this season has been a bit meh I was like ok the new kit looks toilet! Lets have a butchers at our manager.... Who the hell is this guy? Then I watched the first few games and was baffled tactics wise we look clueless like we have gone backwards.... Players in wise hojberg looks the best I dont rate anyone else and for Boufal the man is injured I cannot see how one player is going to come in and get us playing like Barcelona..... I honestly think Puel will be gone by christmas call me a moaner This is my opinion the guy has looked out of his depth.

You're a moaner

... this is not a jokey 'back at ya' .... imho you are a moaner

Let’s keep the childish insults and nonsense over here please - http://www.saintsweb.co.uk/showthread.php?56987-Thread-for-insulting-other-posters

Adult and decent conversation on this thread right now.

Ta :wave:

Thats why I very rarely start a thread now, there's too many on here drooling at the opportunity at another target to aim their neanderthal insults at.

Back to your original comments, I feel dissapointed that after so many great seasons of late it seems that we have thrown the towel in with respect to pushing on. I understand if the current owner doesn't want to compete with the big boys financially, this club is not her dream, it was her fathers, but it does beg the question "What's the point?". A successful business in her eyes probably differs from ours, making a profit and not losing money is probably her priority whereas we want success on the pitch and entertaining football.

Unfortunately, the sad thing is that most clubs outside of the top 6 will probably have the same issues and again begs the question "Whats the point?".

Not losing interest in Saints, over the last 10 years we've probably been one of the most interesting clubs to support in the whole league, we've had relegation, points deduction, a cup win, back to back promotions, more success in the premier league than I've ever seen us have, players developed, players sold, players bought and then sold again. I am however, like others on here, losing interest with football as a whole. The national team haven't been watchable since 1998, the gap between the top clubs and the rest financially ruins the idea of competition, the media trying to sell the champions league as if nothing else matters, the debasement of the FA cup, Chelsea, then Man City, the obsession with FIFA games that just encourages kids to support the top teams, the fact that clubs give a toss about the far east. It's all about a million miles away from what football meant to me as a kid. It used to be called a working man's sport, but nobody can relate to the players anymore and I think that's the main reason I care a little less each season.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

It's been 7 years where things have moved forward, getting better and better. In some ways at this moment it's like what is called the "7 year itch" in a marriage. A time when doubt sets in and one asks can it really continue, will it not be downhill from now on.

I believe, as Saints fans we've been thru a lot, taken some huge setbacks, where even the strongest minded supporter was tested to the limit. There is general unrest starting this new season. The general outlook of the modern game does not help. There are times when I ask myself how much more of the Premier League, it's attachment to money, big business can I take.

I have supported Saints 64 of my 70 years, been thru good and bad times, been from the old 3rd Division, up and down the Leagues. Football has changed, lost so much of what it used to be.

At the end of it all we still have Southampton Football Club and somehow it will all work out in the end, whether we go forward, backwards, up or downwards.

In Claude Puel I believe he knows what he's doing, will take us into new successes. I just guess, as always we will have to have patience and belief in what Southampton Football Club is, and has always been about.

We are Southampton and we march on.

An excellent post Marmite. You have what many are thinking. We cancelled Sky Sports last week. The premier league has a non stop commercial promotion for the top six. That's the usual top six!

Sky and Talk Sport can talk about nothing else.

The money in the game is obscene and no footballer is worth the money they are paid. Added to which they will all change alegence for yet more money...

In addition however we seem to be surrendering big style to big boys and decided not to try and compete at all.....

So generally yes would rather play my own sport and have definately dropped to a four out of ten on enthusiasm this year. That is both for being glued to news about Saints and Premier League football....

Have to say I didn't realise so many people were feeling the same way, that is fascinating ....

An excellent post Marmite. You have what many are thinking. We cancelled Sky Sports last week. The premier league has a non stop commercial promotion for the top six. That's the usual top six!

Sky and Talk Sport can talk about nothing else.

The money in the game is obscene and no footballer is worth the money they are paid. Added to which they will all change alegence for yet more money...

In addition however we seem to be surrendering big style to big boys and decided not to try and compete at all.....

So generally yes would rather play my own sport and have definately dropped to a four out of ten on enthusiasm this year. That is both for being glued to news about Saints and Premier League football....

Have to say I didn't realise so many people were feeling the same way, that is fascinating ....

Like you I am fascinated to see that so many people are feeling the same way as me - for all the same reasons that are expressed here. Has the premier league franchise hit its peak domestically? There is certainly disenfranchisement being displayed clearly for all to see.

As has been said earlier, everything will change with a Saints win. Looking forward to Thursday - hope we tear them a new one.

Personally, I can't get enough of the modern game and the Premier League with all it's wealth of hugely talented, ridiculously overpaid superstars.

I'm not really that bothered by how commercial it's become ..... find it as exciting as ever and it's a sh_t load more accessible than it used to be.

Edit ...... and Southampton FC always make me buzz !!

Edited by New Forest Steve

Best thing you've ever posted.

Well, it is now just a multi million pound business for buying, developing and selling on players. Those of us who were brought up on football clubs striving to win honours, will struggle to maintain an interest. It used to be sport in those days, rather than a business.

Do you mean Saints or football? Because... Leicester just won the Premier League under 6 months ago and Palace were 10 minutes from winning the FA Cup.

Comment like this from players and agents before they've kicked a ball for us, show me what a soft touch we are and why all these new longterm contracts me nothing (other than more money for the owner)

Boufal agent

As opposed to N'Golo Kante leaving the Premier League champions and Champions League qualifiers to go and get paid more money for a team that was barely in the top 8 and didn't qualify for Europe? And that's a Saints problem?

And "more money for the owner" works how, again?

Glasgow has actually hit on something here. It's nothing to do with our results, but I genuinely have started to lose interest in football in general. I'll always support the saints, but there's something about the game recently that just turns me away from it. Granted, I've had other things on my mind, but I can't remember the last time I felt so apathetic about the club or football in general. It's very strange, and I can't explain it.

Good post Turks