The January 2017 Transfer Window Thread

SuperSAINT

According to the Sun, Fonte to Man U is back on, Liverpool are confident of getting VVD, and we will buy Wimmer from Spurs as a replacement. The article claims that Saints are "resigned" to losing both VVD and Fonte over the next two transfer windows:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/2300298/southampton-transfer-news-south-coast-club-expect-to-lose-virgil-van-dijk-and-jose-fonte-to-liverpool-and-manchester-united/

The Fonte bit does not seem new but might explain why he has not signed a new contract, the VVD story seems recycled from the last few weeks, the "resigned" bit sounds made up and I can't see Les being too excited about dealing with Levy. Other than that it's a great article.

According to the Sun, Fonte to Man U is back on, Liverpool are confident of getting VVD, and we will buy Wimmer from Spurs as a replacement. The article claims that Saints are "resigned" to losing both VVD and Fonte over the next two transfer windows:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/2300298/southampton-transfer-news-south-coast-club-expect-to-lose-virgil-van-dijk-and-jose-fonte-to-liverpool-and-manchester-united/

The Fonte bit does not seem new but might explain why he has not signed a new contract, the VVD story seems recycled from the last few weeks, the "resigned" bit sounds made up and I can't see Les being too excited about dealing with Levy. Other than that it's a great article.

And Wimmer is pants.

be amazed if we let anyone go in January. Regardless of how big the bid is. It would kill our season.

I expect that our january window will be fairly quiet both ways. I can only see replacements if we decide to let Jrod, Martina or maybe Fonte go. Its fairly clear that we need to replace Fonte in the not too distant future but I would expect that to be in the summer. We obviously need more goals but in 4-5 weeks time this could be a very different situation on the assumption that Long and Boufal start hitting the back of the net. Again I would expect a decent signing in this area in the summer.

It all depends who comes knocking at our doors. If the top clubs come with premium fees for Fonte and/or Van Dijk then i can even see them both going. And really, i wouldnt have a problem with that if we have replacements ready to come in.

And i can see it happening cause clubs are desperate to get into Champions League spots, more then ever.

It all depends who comes knocking at our doors. If the top clubs come with premium fees for Fonte and/or Van Dijk then i can even see them both going. And really, i wouldnt have a problem with that if we have replacements ready to come in.

And i can see it happening cause clubs are desperate to get into Champions League spots, more then ever.

I cant and I would. Even though we sell players we do not sell in January. You like many others take what you read in papers as gospel when actually they (and Sky) are masters at peddling gossip to effectively drive income. Their agendas are all based on the "big clubs" because they have the most followers. They have no interest in the sport itself. Occasionally think for yourself based on logical thought and sporting sense!

Fonte possibly, if the right money and a quality replacement coming in (get impression he has burnt some bridges), but not VVD in January. The talk of him going to Liverpool especially is utter nonsense, as you've got to be talking about a £50m plus bid, and they haven't got that kind of clout. I can see a centre forward and possibly centre half coming in, should Fonte go - both likely Puel targets from France. This squad is not far off from having excellent options in all positions.

Really need a right back, Pied won't be back till next season and an ideal half season loan would be ideal

With Cedric now playing well, Martina as able back up, Yoshida has also done well there recently (can't remember the game) and Valery waiting in the wings as another potential academy star, I don't see RB being an area we will look to recruit.

With Cedric now playing well, Martina as able back up, Yoshida has also done well there recently (can't remember the game) and Valery waiting in the wings as another potential academy star, I don't see RB being an area we will look to recruit.

Everyone has opinions and I'm not a bedwetter but if we want to be better or at least consistent Martina isn't good enough even as back up

Everyone has opinions and I'm not a bedwetter but if we want to be better or at least consistent Martina isn't good enough even as back up

But he's actually back up to the back up. When you factor that in, we probably shouldn't be expecting him to be that great.

Half a season loan is a decent call, but only all the time we're rotating between competitions. Not sure if the second half of the season will be as demanding in terms of fixture congestion.

Edited by mrfahaji

With the JRod gamble not looking to have paid off perhaps we should take another look at Haller?

According to the Daily Expres Pochettino wants him. Haller was recently robbed in his home in the Netherlands and moved to a different one because he didn't feel safe there anymore. Who knows, maybe he'll want to move away all the way and be able to speak some French with his coach again.

The source being Micky Quinn on talksport :lol:

The source being Micky Quinn on talksport :lol:

I thought Quinn had quit talksport after Murdock took over.

Gary Neville had Twitter spat with a few journalists the other day about papers putting more and more bs articles which are no more than quoting what someone/pundits say. Quinn is almost exceptional as an uninformed buffoon who just loves Liverpool. Like Giving credibility to Piers Morgan pleading for Arsenal to get Klopp as manager. They got to fill their pages though

Jose won't be sold before his contract expires unless a stupid offer comes in. He knows this and isn't happy about the situation and is agitating through his agent in the press.

Likely true as we've heard zero on a new contract.

We really don't want to be selling him & Virgil in the same window.

I thought Quinn had quit talksport after Murdock took over.

Gary Neville had Twitter spat with a few journalists the other day about papers putting more and more bs articles which are no more than quoting what someone/pundits say. Quinn is almost exceptional as an uninformed buffoon who just loves Liverpool. Like Giving credibility to Piers Morgan pleading for Arsenal to get Klopp as manager. They got to fill their pages though

That would require that useless dimwitted ar$ehole having some principles. No principles, no intelligence, no idea. The only thing he has is bias in abundance and a massive chip on his shoulder.

That would require that useless dimwitted ar$ehole having some principles. No principles, no intelligence, no idea. The only thing he has is bias in abundance and a massive chip on his shoulder.

Why anyone takes any notice of that ex Skate arsehole beats me... oh... https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2001/jun/29/horseracing.kenoliver

We have 7 games before January. We have a flurry of league games we need to win against teams we have a chance to beat. If we dont get a hoard of points in these games we will be near the bottom with all the big clubs to play in the new year. In short these games are key. Extra fire power in will be required if we struggle...

According to reports from the Sun and the Daily Mirror, Southampton and Tottenham Hotspur are both interested in securing the services of Malaga attacker Sandro Ramirez.

http://www.laligablog.com/2016/12/05/southampton-and-tottenham-hotspur-interested-in-21-year-old-spanish-attacker/

Stoke are the main team interested:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/2322344/stoke-city-are-looking-to-buy-malagas-sandro-ramirez-in-a-possible-january-swoop-for-la-liga-star/

Edited by SuperSAINT

According to reports from the Sun and the Daily Mirror, Southampton and Tottenham Hotspur are both interested in securing the services of Malaga attacker Sandro Ramirez.

http://www.laligablog.com/2016/12/05/southampton-and-tottenham-hotspur-interested-in-21-year-old-spanish-attacker/

Stoke are the main team interested:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/2322344/stoke-city-are-looking-to-buy-malagas-sandro-ramirez-in-a-possible-january-swoop-for-la-liga-star/

Based on the random (and often rubbish) football expertise of my mate in Spain - yes please.

Let's hope so! Berahino coming the other way would be very nice an would probably suit all parties involved

Others would argue that he will fail the character test. I think that he would be a nice Saints project. He's a natural goal scorer, unsuited to playing in a Pulis squad, and he had his head turned by Levy. I think that we can fix him. He's probably holding out for the big wages involved in free agency by signing abroad in Jan, or for someone of his choosing in summer, but he does seem a little broken now. Austin was in a similar position last Jan and he signed for us, so you never know.

KESSIE TO ANFIELD?

Liverpool are ready to make a £22.5m offer for Atalanta midfielder Franck Kessie, according to Corriere dello Sport in Italy.

The teenager, who has scored five goals in 13 Serie A games this season, is a regular subject of Liverpool scouting trips.

Juventus are also interested in the Ivory Coast international.

:(