The January 2017 Transfer Window Thread

SuperSAINT

We have 7 games before January. We have a flurry of league games we need to win against teams we have a chance to beat. If we dont get a hoard of points in these games we will be near the bottom with all the big clubs to play in the new year. In short these games are key. Extra fire power in will be required if we struggle...

Exactly. I think we are in a relegation fight.

I'd say the backbone needs strengthening. CB, DM, Str. Won't happen. Maybe Berahino will be a target because we love a bargain and his contract is up in June. Who knows. We do need strengthening though. We aren't getting relegated but this could be a more disappointing season than anyone realised. The financial model is good, sensible, but if we don't loosen the purse strings a little we'll come a cropper soon enough.

Since we can't score goals and are letting them in, we're in trouble in the league. When you see Middlesbrough at home coming up and can't see a win, that's an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I picked up lots of "fun facts" from the commentators during the Boro game, including that Saints have the second best defensive record in the league (Chelsea are #1). Goal scoring is the problem.

I picked up lots of "fun facts" from the commentators during the Boro game, including that Saints have the second best defensive record in the league (Chelsea are #1). Goal scoring is the problem.

It is but is it the striker we need or someone to put the ball in the right place. Quickly.

I know he's old (well... 32) and I know it won't happen, but I wouldn't mind getting Schweinsteiger in on loan for the rest of the season. He can shoot, he can deliver, he has a lot of experience. Our midfield could defnitely benefit from that.

There's another midfielder at Utd who's out of favour that I would prefer :)

I know he's old (well... 32) and I know it won't happen, but I wouldn't mind getting Schweinsteiger in on loan for the rest of the season. He can shoot, he can deliver, he has a lot of experience. Our midfield could defnitely benefit from that.

Already said he doesn't want to play for any other English clubs I thought? Rather take Morgan with an option to buy at the end of the season...

Already said he doesn't want to play for any other English clubs I thought? Rather take Morgan with an option to buy at the end of the season...

All signs point to the glass ceiling smashers going for Morgan in Jan. Since they are more inclined to throw obscene quantities of money at their problems than Saints, I am not keeping my hopes up on this one.

All signs point to the glass ceiling smashers going for Morgan in Jan. Since they are more inclined to throw obscene quantities of money at their problems than Saints, I am not keeping my hopes up on this one.

Think that one is inevitable. Utd won't put up any fight to keep him & Everton need to replace Barry & McCarthy is seemingly surplus to requirements.

We wont buy Morgan.

Doubt we are even interested.

We were linked with him a few years ago before he got a bad injury. Was class back in the day, but we're not the sort of team to sign injury prone players. :-)

I'm going to be brave and say that the bottom 3 in the Premier League currently (Swansea, Hull, Sunderland) will be the bottom 3 in May. Ergo we should look at pilfering Sigurdsson and maybe one or two others. ;-)

We were linked with him a few years ago before he got a bad injury. Was class back in the day, but we're not the sort of team to sign injury prone players. :-)

I'm going to be brave and say that the bottom 3 in the Premier League currently (Swansea, Hull, Sunderland) will be the bottom 3 in May. Ergo we should look at pilfering Sigurdsson and maybe one or two others. ;-)

Why would they sell in Jan when he could be the difference between going down or staying up? What ever they sold him for would be little compensation compared to the money lost for being relegated and they can always sell him in the summer if they go down

Surely the club must be looking at him If Romeu gets injured we've got very little as back up . If nothing else the club could get him to talk to the under 23s about the why moving to a big club is a bad move for your career on a daily basis :D

Surely the club must be looking at him If Romeu gets injured we've got very little as back up . If nothing else the club could get him to talk to the under 23s about the why moving to a big club is a bad move for your career on a daily basis :D

120k a week...? Koeman can have him.

I believe I read that he had his wages cut, along with several other players, after man u failed to secure CL football last season. Where ever he goes he will be taking a wage cut.

from the above from the telegraph...

and Everton are willing to meet the player’s £120,000 a week wages in addition to funding a significant transfer fee.

No way would we pay 120k a week hes just not our type signing. I doubt he would even want to come back anyway.

No way would we pay 120k a week hes just not our type signing. I doubt he would even want to come back anyway.

Agree. Everton were always a very logical move for him. Ronald's worked with him before, they will pay his big wages AND the big fee as they've struggled to get big names over the line & United won't put up any resistance to keep him.

Everton also need to get their average age down too. Morgan is is ready made to help them. Gueye & Schneiderlin (on paper) is good IMO.

OK I found this it might not be super accurate but even if its ball park paying Morgan a 120K a week would make him the highest paid Everton player by some margin (40K so more a week than anyone else in the squad) so for that reason I think its unlikely that Everton will be meeting his wage demands.

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/galleries/4544/Every-Everton-ace-s-weekly-wages-revealed/Tony-Hibbert-25-000-per-week-500059

Agreed.

He isn't worth 120k a week which is why we won't be interested

Seriously doubt if he earns that much anyway. About 90K a week'ish would be a closer estimate and that's all in. Do not forget that the majority of Utd's players took a 25% no ECL hit this season. Not many didn't because it was apparently a standard Utd contract thing. Perhaps Rooney and maybe Schweinsteiger would be exceptions. Then there's all the bits and bobs that you don't get when you don't play. For example Football Leaks turned up that Lloris gets 8000 for a win, 6000 for a draw and 4000 for a loss, come what may unless of course he doesn't play.. To speak of a footballer's salary as so much a week is just misleading in my opinion. If Morgan goes to Everton he'll probably be on something like 5 million a year if they do well and 4 million if they don't.

Seriously doubt if he earns that much anyway. About 90K a week'ish would be a closer estimate and that's all in. Do not forget that the majority of Utd's players took a 25% no ECL hit this season. Not many didn't because it was apparently a standard Utd contract thing. Perhaps Rooney and maybe Schweinsteiger would be exceptions. Then there's all the bits and bobs that you don't get when you don't play. For example Football Leaks turned up that Lloris gets 8000 for a win, 6000 for a draw and 4000 for a loss, come what may unless of course he doesn't play.. To speak of a footballer's salary as so much a week is just misleading in my opinion. If Morgan goes to Everton he'll probably be on something like 5 million a year if they do well and 4 million if they don't.

I half-expect Levy to gazump Everton again. I'm not even sure if they need Morgan, but I wasn't all that sure about Sissoko, either. Spurs were, after all, the first team to turn his head and Poch seems like a more long-term prospect than Koeman, at least right now.

I half-expect Levy to gazump Everton again. I'm not even sure if they need Morgan, but I wasn't all that sure about Sissoko, either. Spurs were, after all, the first team to turn his head and Poch seems like a more long-term prospect than Koeman, at least right now.

They only bought Sissoko when José put the mockers on Morgan going there last summer by some accounts. Sissoko isn't a Pochettino type player, they might even try to offload him already.