The January 2017 Transfer Window Thread

SuperSAINT

• 2 weeks later...
I still think we need another striker if Jrod does not perform well in the next couple of months

and a young CB to eventually replace Fonte

difficult to exactly define "young ", as it takes a bit longer to find a good player at a (young) age.

The long term replacement may well be on the cards, but someone like Jack Stephens may develop into a candidate for the task..or end up in L1 in a couple of years time.

CF and a DM priority for me. Romeu has done well, but we desperately need cover in this position for when he is injured / suspended.

Cabaye wouldn't be a bad shout as he could provide some creativity from midfield that we are currently lacking, IMO. Would have him over JWP or Clasie any day of the week.

Wouldn't mind a loan move for Ben Arfa either... or is that just being greedy?

We have a very good young CB coming through the academy , he is now captain of the under23 squad , Alfie Jones

..and Jack Stevens. But still room for a quality centre back to pass though for two or three seasons as, sadly, I suspect is the case with VVD, Boufal and Hojbjerg.

As others have said, would love to see Morgan back. January is not generally a time that Saints like to spend so apart from a right back, I can't really see much movement. But Morgan would be worth breaking the rule for...

Generally speaking I'm quite happy with the squad that we have.

Not sure I question this. But obviously our aspirations are higher than 3 or 4 years ago. Plus we have (at least) six Europa games. So, I still think lack of depth rather than lack of quality is what will bite us.

I dont think we really have any real quality, weof course have depth however Im not entirely sure we have an obvious first 11 right now, other than Van Dijk and Forster the team can be a completely different make up one game to the next.

One thing is obvious, we need a striker, and its been so painfully obvious for the last two years Im surprised we have not really been linked.

I personally believe if we had a top striker last year that we would have finished in the top four. Anything else is a bonus

I dont think we really have any real quality, weof course have depth however Im not entirely sure we have an obvious first 11 right now, other than Van Dijk and Forster the team can be a completely different make up one game to the next.

One thing is obvious, we need a striker, and its been so painfully obvious for the last two years Im surprised we have not really been linked.

I personally believe if we had a top striker last year that we would have finished in the top four. Anything else is a bonus

stuff like this, any club can say that tbf, its all ifs and buts- maybe if we had bought VVD earlier we could have won that Everton game at home, or the Newcastle game away, or beaten Watford away- or maybe we would have had a Europa League campaign if VVD played against Midgetland away, thus scampering our league form... We'll never know for sure...

The key to your comment is, seeing as we are a mid-tier club/ level 4 as Glasgow puts it :lol:, then we need to find that next Suarez or next Aguero, there must be someon, somewhere in the world, just up to us to find him- Porto/Athletico Madrid are very good at doing that, practically their business model.

How would adding one of the biggest sick notes in football help our attacking options? Might as well swoop for Andy Carroll, to keep Sturridge company in the medical room, in Jan as well.

Perfect player for us technically but ego and prone to injury and huge fee and wages. Apart from that.

Text book West Ham signing

Was really surprised he went to Celtic and thought would go somewhere bigger when leaving Fulham. Too big for us now.

I was surprised too, but it was actually a really smart move - he gets to play every week, gets to experience the champions league. Celtic is a big shop window for him.

Reports today of Sturridge ready to move away from Liverpool with supposedly strong interest from Stoke and WHU. Surely Saints FC is a better destination for the lad. Perfect fit, striker, out of favour, capped for England, scores goals, injury prone, has a hugely embarrassing celebratory routine... what's not to like?

Reports today of Sturridge ready to move away from Liverpool with supposedly strong interest from Stoke and WHU. Surely Saints FC is a better destination for the lad. Perfect fit, striker, out of favour, capped for England, scores goals, injury prone, has a hugely embarrassing celebratory routine... what's not to like?

Can definitely see West Ham wanting him. They have a clause with Zaza where they have to pay a fortune for him after a certain number of games which they a bound to not want to do.

Sturridge is great, but he doesn't seem like "Saints" kind of signing. (Unless these Chinese peeps come in and want to throw money at us).

But unlike West Ham and Stoke, Saints don’t go around shouting about what players they want to sign!

£28m...

I think he's probably the best finisher from 20 yards and closer in the league - but he's just such a lazy bastard and i don't think that fits into any modern form of football, maybe somewhere in Italy would be best for him.

Edited by Chris27687

Aren't Celtic our feeder club? We are like their version of Liverpool (Celthampton) we have first dibs on their best players don't we ?

We should remember that although he shone in last nigh's U21 match it was only the U21's and not the Premier League. The fact that he was not snapped up from Fulham should teach caution.

Wouldn't mind Davy Klaassen who could be a goal scoring central midfielder which many think we're in need of!

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Yikes, no! Even Ajax fans hate him. In any case it is our forwards that need to score more, a lot more. Even at Barcelona, Real Madrid or Chelsea their forwards (starters and backups) score the bulk of their goals, the rest of the team just chip in with the odd goal.

Sebastian Driussi will play for River Plate against Newell's Old Boys tonight at 11pm so will be watching that.

Wouldn't mind Davy Klaassen who could be a goal scoring central midfielder which many think we're in need of!

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

No thanks, ill take Dolberg tho. Man that kid is good..... Ajax has some serious good talents walking around atm, probably going to win the league if you ask me.