Les Reed

Heisenberg

Les Reed - In or Out?  

197 members have voted

1. 1. Les Reed - In or Out?

Les does have a habit of proving people wrong when he's being written off.

He's still got a bit of credit in the bank in my opinion.

He has to get the next managerial appointment right though, and soon.

Don’t agree Cortese was main reason we did well. He set it up and his work taken longer to evaporate than we thought.

The concern now is the time Old Les and Wilson are still here to fritter any any of the van Dijk fee which is reinvested in the team on mediocre players. We really need Mitchell back.

Yeah, then he can find us some Clinton Nije's, Kevin Georges-Nkoudo, Fazio, Stambouli, Yedlin types.

The concern now is the time Old Les and Wilson are still here to fritter any any of the van Dijk fee which is reinvested in the team on mediocre players. We really need Mitchell back.

I don't really get this argument. Lemina and Hoedt look decent enough to me, as do Romeu, Boufal, Austin and Cedric.

I'd like us to sign 1 or 2 older players though, to give us a bit more continuity and break the cycle of the team being broken up every Summer. If we signed Walcott for example, we'd have a player who'll want to do well for us, without an eye on moving on.

More like Mane, Wanyama, Alderweireld, Trippier and Dele Alli. In the 2 years Mitchell has been there Spurstow squad has got much stronger while ours has got much weaker. We were linked with van Dijk before Mitchell left after falling out with Les the same as everyone else does.

Yeah, that's called confirmation bias :thumbup:

I voted in as I don’t think he has done an awful lot wrong. Yet.

My one gripe with him was the Fonte saga in January. Fair play, getting £8m for old rope was pretty good business but doing it without a suitable replacement lined up was poor.

Most of his other decisions though I was happy with. I’d much rather try new managers from abroad than jump on the Big Sam, Pardew, Pulis, Hodgson, McLaren, Moyes roundabout. We may get a few Puel and MPs through the door but we will also get a few Pochs (I know he was Nicola’s man but the point remains valid) and Koemans.

Without the joy of hindsight, the decisions to appoint and sack Puel were correct, as was the decision to appoint MP. The acid test will be when he blinks on sacking MP, who he appoints and how we spend the money from Virgil. It’s a big month for Les, the jury is out as far as I’m concerned.

What exactly is the "behind the scenes" relationship with Liverpool FC? This is beyond a joke now. What have they got on us? Would any other club in the premier league do business this way? I doubt it. Wouldn't happen if Cortese was still here. Let's not forget, VVD signed a new contract not so long ago to stay with us.....

What exactly is the "behind the scenes" relationship with Liverpool FC? This is beyond a joke now. What have they got on us? Would any other club in the premier league do business this way? I doubt it. Wouldn't happen if Cortese was still here. Let's not forget, VVD signed a new contract not so long ago to stay with us.....

Would any other club do what; accept a world record transfer fee for a defender, who doesn’t want to be here?

Yeah, probably.

When was the last time we actually heard from the man himself? In the words of Delia Smith, "where are you??"

To be honest, I’d rather not hear from him (or Krueger) at all. The best directors/chairmen are the ones you rarely hear from. Maybe once a year, at the end/beginning of the season.

To be honest, I’d rather not hear from him (or Krueger) at all. The best directors/chairmen are the ones you rarely hear from. Maybe once a year, at the end/beginning of the season.

Agreed. Why do fans feel so their God given right to get updates every two minutes? I'm not fussed about hearing from anyone within the club t be honest. Nothing that is said in pre or post match interviews makes one iota of difference. All that matters is performance.

Money, a likely 2.5X-3X wage structure, international prestige, reality, etc etc.

As an owner of our football club would you sack Les Reed?

Very much doubt it as he will keep making you a great profit every season.

Maybe we need to hear from our new owner to find out what his expectations are for this club before we wish for Les Reed to leave?

I must admit, I'd love to hear from our new owners in some form. Everything is shrouded in a bit of mystery right now, it's fair enough saying they want to keep things going as they were, but if that's not going as well as it was....it would be nice to hear their idea's/plans. I'm probably not the only one who feels this - but I cannot currently see any tangiable benifits/improvements this has made to us as a club, apart from personal benifits to KL.

I must admit, I'd love to hear from our new owners in some form. Everything is shrouded in a bit of mystery right now, it's fair enough saying they want to keep things going as they were, but if that's not going as well as it was....it would be nice to hear their idea's/plans. I'm probably not the only one who feels this - but I cannot currently see any tangiable benifits/improvements this has made to us as a club, apart from personal benifits to KL.

Latter sentence is all the takeover was all about. If they somehow survive this year, the drop is inevitable in the next season or two with no fresh investment despite record TV deals. I’ve seen Saints fans use the phrase ‘sold down the river’ and that seems fair in the vacuum of any kind of plans. Administration will be a more dangerous option when we spiral down the leagues this time around.

Edited by saint1977

Despite what I've posted recently, I've voted out.

If he sacks Pellegrino in the next few days I would change my mind.

It appears to me that he is putting himself before the club in keeping a manager who almost everyone, including those in the game, can see is quite useless.

Echoes my thoughts. Has become too isolated and out of touch, clinging onto MP just one example. That said, I wouldn’t want his job if it’s sell to buy for the next few years. I’d probably retire.

More like Mane, Wanyama, Alderweireld, Trippier and Dele Alli. In the 2 years Mitchell has been there Spurstow squad has got much stronger while ours has got much weaker. We were linked with van Dijk before Mitchell left after falling out with Les the same as everyone else does.

Spurs was monitoring Alli Long before Mitchell even joined Saints............................... so i dont think you can credit him for that, And wanyama was here before spurs even knew his name, and no one had heard of mane before he joined here and Alderweireld was a well known defender before he even come to Saints.. you just plunking any old thing from your head that you are a tad salty about and blaming it on Less? funny how he is still under contract at spurs but not involved in any thing relating to spurs whilst on gardening leave......... you going to credit him for spurs next 10 signings? even though he has not stepped foot in the spurs training ground for a year?

So 92% want rid of the manager, and 67% want rid of the dir cor of football? Seems like we have a happy fan base. We march on indeed!

They won’t give a toss as long as the fans keep turning up but if we go down they’ll want us to dig them out of their mess.

Out for sure. He has had an horrific past few years in regards to decision making and what's happening now does not look like that is changing.

For me my main gripe was the needless change of direction in terms of our style. We used to play pressing, attacking free flowing football. That brought us to where we were. If we played any team you felt we would give it a go. That is no longer the case.

He brought in ultra defence minded staff and players. When you are setting up at home with 6-7 defensive players against Huddersfield that shows how far we have changed. People will say Reed doesn't pick the team. But he picks the managers who will pick the team. He picks the players we will buy and he is the one who decides who will be sold and who get's new contracts.

With Puel you can give him the benefit of the doubt. Maybe that was not how things were supposed to go.

But as said in that Palmer article he knew MP was a defence minded coach. There is no way he was appointed for his 'attacking play style' as said by Reed when he joined because MP had never played with an attacking play style.

He was a cheap option, and someone who would be a yes man.

Some people have mentioned the vvd and the insane amount of money we have received. Do I trust him to spend that money on quality? Not at all.

We are 2 points above the drop zone which shows our squad isn't very good. Some players will have a good game here or there but for the most of the season they have been gash.

So many of the squad should have been moved on in the summer. Last season we struggled for goals. We all knew we needed some quality attacking players brought in last January let alone the summer. But we didn't. We brought in more defensive style players. We persist with Redmond, jwp and co in the hope they will eventually come good.

Add to that we just sold our best player in January whilst we are in a relegation fight. VVd might not be at the same level he was, might not be putting in the effort. But a half assed vvd is still better than what we have. We have lost 18 of our 38 games in the whole of 2017. Winning only 10! Swansea have won more than us. Huddersfield have 6 wins already! Point being the players which have come in recently have decreased the quality of our team. Therefore the recruitment has been poor. As Les is in control of the recruitment and who we bring in he must accept responsibility for it.

Which brings me back to MP. The guy is doing badly. We have 11 points from the last 45 on offer. Or 2 from the last 15. Which puts us joint bottom of the form table. In the last 10 games we have let in 20 goals. Only Newcastle have let in more goals over that period (21). We have only stopped 4 teams from scoring against us. That's the 3rd to last in clean sheets. Which not only shows the defensive set up is stupid it also shows it isn't working! If you are letting in around 2 goals a game and only scoring 1 it doesn't take a genius to see you are more likely to lose games than win them.

The guy should not have been here in the 1st place, it was not a 'good fit' as Reed claimed. The fact he is still here is a baffling decision by Reed. If we keep hold of MP and repeat our recent recruitment quality we will be in big trouble. If you have a leader in charge who keeps making bad decisions and isn't strong enough to change things when they are not working then what is the point of him? He is in control of the football aspect of the club and the quality of it has seriously declined. In any other business he would be out on his ass.

So 92% want rid of the manager, and 67% want rid of the dir cor of football? Seems like we have a happy fan base. We march on indeed!

The manager has no goodwill as he's been here only during bad times.

Reed was around when cortese was delivering good times and building a very good squad and had appointed a top manager.

Some are oddly insistent on giving Reed credit for that period and ive even seen posts where some credit Les for signing Lambert and Fonte (both signed long before Les was hired by Cortese)

For me Les has been a disaster. Hes lost two top managers and hired two horrendous ones. Hes sold our best players and has overseen a terrible downturn in our once thriving youth academy.

Transfers have been poor, communication pathetic and his hiring throughout the club has been a disaster.

I feel less connected to the club than ever before and feel the club have totally lost its identity, like ability and ambition under Reed.

Time to go. We need a winner in charge, not a loser.

I'd happily have Nic back.

I really am not a fan of Reed but he is behind getting these players in. I do wonder if there is incentives of commission on the sale of a player. Much like managers used to get.

If so it is a conflict of interest.

I would keep him, but there are question marks about his tenure