Saints 1 Watford 0 - We Limp On

St Chalet

What an interesting post-match thread. There’s a real dichotomy of opinion.

I listened to the game on the OS and it is fair to say that both Blackmore and Merrington put in a lot of effort remarking negativity about the Boufal for Yoshi sub.

I myself was expecting Cedric to come off because it sounded like he was getting clattered out there and keeping him fresh and ready to go for Brighton seems important. On the face of it the sub was like an invitation for them to attack, while at the same time removing an attacking outlet. Perhaps it was just a reaction to Watford putting three forwards on.

The good news is we have a win, and a decent little streak of games without loss. Hopefully the side have something positive to carry forward to the all-important Brighton game.

I think MP2 got it CORRECT today.

I had a go at him when he didn't change things against burnley, hull and other sides when the opposition changed their tactics.

Even 2 weeks ago against watford he should have gone to 3 at the back in the 2nd half when they went route 1 with deeney.

He made a mistake that day by not doing that.If any Saints fans were watching today, watford had just brought on okaka and pereyna and were playing 3 LUMPS up front against out 2 CBs.

He learnt from his mistake he made 2 weeks by not going to 3 at the back.

Give credit to MP2 today he saw the opposition had changed their tactics and REACTED.

So Pellegrino tries to be proactive and is criticized. He used his plan B.

He was reactive to what we expected.

The guy can’t win at the moment.

But win he did.

Well done Pelligrino.

I'm not going to give an opinion on today's game because I couldn't even listen to it on the radio (ridiculous). Perhaps someone at the game good answer something - when he made the subs in the second half, when we in the ascendency or had Watford started to come back into it?

The reason I ask, is that if things are going well, you don't need to change it. If things aren't going so well, or the other team changes things and starts having more of the game, you make the change quickly.

It feels like Pellegrino generally does the opposite - when the other team swap things round, he doesn't know how to counter it. But when things are looking quite good, he goes defensive and surrenders the initiative.

You don't have to use Plan B if Plan A is working!

Just trying to counter the false narrative that everyone who went to the game is rabidly positive about all aspects of the game. It sounds to me like many concurred with the judgement of the radio commentators and were frustrated that certain tactical weaknesses remain. I'm glad that others were happy just to get the win though. Follow it up with a convincing win against Brighton and I may just agree.

Wow. That is, literally, incredible.

I had a go at him when he didn't change things against burnley, hull and other sides when the opposition changed their tactics.

Even 2 weeks ago against watford he should have gone to 3 at the back in the 2nd half when they went route 1 with deeney.

He made a mistake that day by not doing that.If any Saints fans were watching today, watford had just brought on okaka and pereyna and were playing 3 LUMPS up front against out 2 CBs.

Give credit to MP2 today he saw the opposition had changed their tactics and REACTED.

Ssshhhhhh.....

Wow. That is, literally, incredible.
Indeed! My thoughts exactly. Thankfully we've also seen that false narrative challenged by a number of posters now who have been to the game and who share the frustration with the boufal substitution that handed the initiative to Watford.

As I said, let's hope we build on this win against Brighton and if we go ahead I really hope we kick on and don't sit back and invite them onto us as we have seen on multiple occasions this year it's a recipe for disaster.

Can't understand why we took off Boufal and put on Yoshida.... Soon as we did this it allowed Watford to apply pressure

The dynamic of the game had changed before Pellegrino made this substitution. They had already started to apply pressure. He was reacting to Watford's change of tactics. Which, on this occasion, was the right move IMO.

Just back from the game.

Agree with Shroppie.... we played well and were unlucky not to go 2 or 3 up.

I've been critical of Pellegrino's negative tactics in the past but I felt reinforcing our defence with a third CB was actually warranted today as their No.33 was starting to cause us problems, Stephens in particular was struggling to contain him.

All in all a decent, comfortable performance and never had that usual sinking feeling that the opposition was going to score (yes, they came close at the end)

Shane Long deserves to start ahead of Gabbi IMO. He wins so many aerial balls and seemingly lost causes. Something Gabbi simply doesn't do.

My one negative observation is Carello played more as a midfielder when he came in rather than up top. I'd have moved Long out wide and put Carrillo up top - that after all is why we've bought him.

Anyway, a satisfying performance and result at the end of the day.

Thanks for the report. I think with such an important match in 4 days time you can cut the manager a bit more slack as well (e.g. the Boufal comment). I think team selection today was a case of "damned if you do, damned if you don't", because Wednesday is the most important match but it's also good to win whatever the competition.

I guess one of the problems with Long is that his workrate ultimately leads to more chances coming our way, but then he also needs more chances to score. Hard to know if he's the best option for Brighton, I'd say not.

The dynamic of the game had changed before Pellegrino made this change. They had already started to apply pressure. He was reacting to Watford's change of tactics. Which, on this occasion, was the right move IMO.
Glad to have your perspective as always trousers. Others saw it differently bit that's the beauty of football I suppose. At least we can all agree that we are thankful that we didn't concede a late goal this time. Let's hope we can close more games out and that will give us a chance of avoiding the drop.

Patently nonsense. If he had taken off soares who was struggling with an injury and replaced him with Yoshida and then either Tadic or long off for the new guy then there would have been very little comment. When we continually invite pressure onto us and then concede goals, lose and draw games from winning positions consistently then you can see why people get frustrated. Pellegrino could "win" as you out it by encouraging the team to keep the pressure up and go for a second or third goal rather than sitting back and trying to protect a slender lead which we invariably lose more often than not.

Your reply is the nonsense. I was sat very close to the dugout and even after the sub (which was clearly to add some height at the back to counter their changes) he was encouraging the team to push up and attack. At one point he was very frustrated with Hojbjerg as he wanted him in their box for a set piece and he was hesitating.

Your reply is the nonsense. I was sat very close to the dugout and even after the sub (which was clearly to add some height at the back to counter their changes) he was encouraging the team to push up and attack. At one point he was very frustrated with Hojbjerg as he wanted him in their box for a set piece and he was hesitating.
So how do we explain all the other times this season where the exact same thing has happened where we have sat back on a 1-0 lead, handed the other team the initiative and promptly conceded and lost points? Are you saying that's the fault of the players and pellegrino has wanted to play attacking positive football all along and has simply been unable to get the players to agree?

Glad to have your perspective as always trousers. Others saw it differently bit that's the beauty of football I suppose. At least we can all agree that we are thankful that we didn't concede a late goal this time. Let's hope we can close more games out and that will give us a chance of avoiding the drop.

Yep, agree. My view of today was that we were just as likely to go 2 or 3 up as Watford were of equalising. I've been frustrated with Pellegrino's negative tactics as much as the next man, but I feel today was different. Previously, Pellegrino has gone negative for the sake of doing so. Today, he simply reacted to Watford's change in tactics. In other words, he did something we've all been crying out for.... read the game and react accordingly rather than making arbitrary negative changes. As you say, different perspectives and opinions is one of the beauties of football fandom....

Edited by trousers

So how do we explain all the other times this season where the exact same thing has happened where we have sat back on a 1-0 lead, handed the other team the initiative and promptly conceded and lost points?

The difference today is Pellegrino was reacting to a situation rather than the aribtrary tactical changes you refer to in previous games. (IMO)

Edited by trousers

He made a mistake that day by not doing that.

If any Saints was watching today, watford had just brought on okaka and pereyna and were playing 3 LUMPS up front against out 2 CBs.

I agree with this to a degree. Although we looked less of an attacking threat as the game went on.

I seriously can't believe the tone of comments on here. I was actually at the match. Doubt many of the critics were.

We played well. Could have scored more. Kept positive until the last few minutes. Don't say we we're defensive and invited them on, because that is total b0llocks. In fact the total b0llocks that certain posters have to spout after every game.

And sensible subs. No complaints today. We won, FFS. Really worry about whether half the posters on here are actually Saints fans. Get behind the team and stop the ridiculous whinging!

UTS!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

It seems that we have two types posting after this game, those that post a factual account of events and

those that post with a view which matches their preconceived views

we still created chances when he took off Boufal, the fact is that we made numerous chances and failed to take them. Watford I agree, were allowed to come at us but they would have done that anyway as they had nothing to lose. It was a brave decision that worked. Watford were dire and perhaps we had a lucky escape not getting Silva

The difference today is Pellegrino was reacting to a situation rather than the aribtrary tactical changes you refer to in previous games. (IMO)
OK trousers. Others are saying they saw little difference between this change and similar changes in other games but as I didn't see the game its difficult to know what was true. Hopefully it is as you say and he won't go back to the silly changes that have characterised our season thus far. I'd really love to see a greater shape and purpose with this new signing and an understanding of what we are doing as I've had to shake my head during second half's this season as certain tactics and subs seem nonsensical as you said.

The bloke is a complete ****. Score early and on top. Watford come back into it mid first half. Good team talk at half time and we come out well on top (unusual for us) play well, Hojberg unlucky then WTF. Boufal off and play 5 at the back and invite pressure. why not say to his new signing I wanted you, I know what you can do get on there and show everyone else. Go and bag a goal.

we still created chances when he took off Boufal, the fact is that we made numerous chances and failed to take them. Watford I agree, were allowed to come at us but they would have done that anyway as they had nothing to lose. It was a brave decision that worked. Watford were dire and perhaps we had a lucky escape not getting Silva
what has silva got to do with anytjing?

But had Watford not scored their controversial goal last week would we have called pellegrinos tactics brave then?

Watford brought a massive forward on, he was basically a 6ft 3ins lump of muscle. So bringing on Yoshida was sensible. Sadly with a couple of minutes left you expect Yoshida to use his experience and not give away soft fouls just outside the area for them to pump the ball in. Luckily we scrambled the ball away before cedric gave a throw away that left them to nearly score in the last second.

Overall I thought we were head and shoulders better than them. Again we squandered multiple chances, but we did play some good football. Both wingers played well, Shane gave it all, and the midfield did well. Romeu seems to have put a lot of timber on

But had Watford not scored their controversial goal last week would we have called pellegrinos tactics brave then?
I'm not sure what you are getting at, this week he brought on Yoshida to counter the extra attacking threat that Watford brought on. The away game he didn't use his subs and that was not brave but reckless. Hopefully he has learnt. He was on the sidelines constantly coaching the side, is that what he normally does???

Here's a summary from someone who was at the game.

We played very well in spells and SHOULD have won that game 4-0 - yes seriously.

Watford barely threatened our goal we had them under control, although they were clearly a much bigger side in terms of physical height/weight, despite that we were clearly better in all other aspects of our game.

Stephens was excellent all game, well taken rebound, composed at the back, good distribution and coped well with a big strike force - my joint MOM

McCarthy - decent distribution and had one good save to make. Can't really say more than that.

Hoedt - Solid game, never looked troubled at any stage.

Bertrand - excellent when he was on he linked well with Boufal

Cedric - What a game he had, was up and down and always offering a threat and decent crosses in and should have scored twice. Joint MOM.

Holberg - WHAT A SHOT - very unlucky not to score, was his usual self, breaking play up and offering an outlet, he also showed a nastier side to his game and left his foot in - but again you can't drop him for Lemina he's consistant these days. Good performance.

Davis - Some decent link-up play but clearly the weak link in midfield, he struggled to impose himself and offer anything especially second half his legs went, think we should get rid in the Summer.

Romeu - Fairly solid, but he's constantly playing 6/10 games or 5/10 games, looks half the player he was last season.

Tadic - Very good game, didn't roll around in agony and some very good crosses, looked a threat and was creative, his form is improving.

Boufal - some lovely touches and dribbles is clearly our best player, at one stage he brought a ball down on a dime that was sublime but managed to roulette out of play. He is who we should build around, i'd like to see him be a bit more greedy at times he just needs to decide what he wants to do earlier, so if he feints and cuts in then have a shot (all one movement) - but he does one thing and then thinks TOO much, he is much better when it's natural like the dribble where he should have had a penalty. Good performance, but by his standards he could do better especially when facing up defenders.

Long - Frustrating player... worked so hard and did so many things well but his end product was so poor, the chance he created for Cedric came from a shocking touch, and when picked out by Tadic his shot/cross was just strange, i think he'll look much better in a 4-4-2 with Carillo.

Subs

Pied - looked uncomfortable! especially when he came on yet almost created a goal at left back for Cedric, very one-footed and doesn't look fit.

Yoshida - i understood the substitition was to counter the threat of the heavyweight boxer upfront in Okaka who was a unit, we went to a 5 at the back (negative some say - but it worked and we defended well)

Carillo - hard to say, he touched the ball three times, he is slow as you'd expect. Needs time to adapt, had no crosses his way other than a late FK - but he went in against the keeper which is good.

Overall, the Bertrand injury basically messed us up (what has happened to McQueen??) - i'd have liked to see Carillo start, as for Lemina etc, we have some disgrunted players who can't get game time who on paper should be better than they are, but i think the manager is keeping the players who show the best attitude, we were in control and Watford didn't threaten us it was a good performance and the disappointing thing was we just lack cutting edge to kill off games. But anyone moaning at that needs to wake up.

Win - tick

Clean sheet - tick

Solid defensive display - tick

Chances created - tick

Anyone saying that was good has a very low threshold for that clarification.

We won, which is good.

We gave away the initiative because we were more worried about losing than being confident in our ability to win.

Baby steps perhaps and listening to Pellegrino afterwards explained it. But is being defensive the Southampton Way? No. Is it fun to watch? Hardly. Did it deflate the atmosphere? Yes. Did it invite pressure on that wasn’t really evident? Yes.

But we go into the next round and it’s another Match for MoPe to demonstrate that he can make us an attacking team to match the club’s rhetoric.

Very sensible post.

Pellegrino's substitution of Boufal for Yoshida very nearly cost us the game but we won despite his stupidity.

Shroppie is talking rubish.

It seems that we have two types posting after this game, those that post a factual account of events and

those that post with a view which matches their preconceived views

There seems to be opposing views from those at the game!, are you suggesting some are factual and some are not?

We were so much the better side up until the Yoshida sub. Then we were just pinned back. I wasn’t bothered by their 33, he was garbage. What annoyed me most about the substitution was that the manager spent the rest of the game explaining what to do in the new shape. The players didn’t have a clue.

Good result. The six yard box chances that were not coverted looked like the type of chances which hopefully Carrillo can make count, looked like typical goals which he takes (well according to the 15 minute You Tube video anyway, that doesn't show the ones he missed though!)

Next 2 matches are massive, wonder what this forum will be like in 7 days time? Depends if we have accumulated 6, 4, 3, 2, 1 or 0 points!

We played very well in spells and SHOULD have won that game 4-0 - yes seriously.

Watford barely threatened our goal we had them under control, although they were clearly a much bigger side in terms of physical height/weight, despite that we were clearly better in all other aspects of our game.

Stephens was excellent all game, well taken rebound, composed at the back, good distribution and coped well with a big strike force - my joint MOM

McCarthy - decent distribution and had one good save to make. Can't really say more than that.

Cedric - What a game he had, was up and down and always offering a threat and decent crosses in and should have scored twice. Joint MOM.

Holberg - WHAT A SHOT - very unlucky not to score, was his usual self, breaking play up and offering an outlet, he also showed a nastier side to his game and left his foot in - but again you can't drop him for Lemina he's consistant these days. Good performance.

Davis - Some decent link-up play but clearly the weak link in midfield, he struggled to impose himself and offer anything especially second half his legs went, think we should get rid in the Summer.

Romeu - Fairly solid, but he's constantly playing 6/10 games or 5/10 games, looks half the player he was last season.

Tadic - Very good game, didn't roll around in agony and some very good crosses, looked a threat and was creative, his form is improving.

Boufal - some lovely touches and dribbles is clearly our best player, at one stage he brought a ball down on a dime that was sublime but managed to roulette out of play. He is who we should build around, i'd like to see him be a bit more greedy at times he just needs to decide what he wants to do earlier, so if he feints and cuts in then have a shot (all one movement) - but he does one thing and then thinks TOO much, he is much better when it's natural like the dribble where he should have had a penalty. Good performance, but by his standards he could do better especially when facing up defenders.

Long - Frustrating player... worked so hard and did so many things well but his end product was so poor, the chance he created for Cedric came from a shocking touch, and when picked out by Tadic his shot/cross was just strange, i think he'll look much better in a 4-4-2 with Carillo.

Subs

Pied - looked uncomfortable! especially when he came on yet almost created a goal at left back for Cedric, very one-footed and doesn't look fit.

Yoshida - i understood the substitition was to counter the threat of the heavyweight boxer upfront in Okaka who was a unit, we went to a 5 at the back (negative some say - but it worked and we defended well)

Carillo - hard to say, he touched the ball three times, he is slow as you'd expect. Needs time to adapt, had no crosses his way other than a late FK - but he went in against the keeper which is good.

Overall, the Bertrand injury basically messed us up (what has happened to McQueen??) - i'd have liked to see Carillo start, as for Lemina etc, we have some disgrunted players who can't get game time who on paper should be better than they are, but i think the manager is keeping the players who show the best attitude, we were in control and Watford didn't threaten us it was a good performance and the disappointing thing was we just lack cutting edge to kill off games. But anyone moaning at that needs to wake up.

Win - tick

Clean sheet - tick

Chances created - tick

Another good post although a bit too praiseworthy of Tadic who faded badly (as usual).

Good Points:

A WIN - Nice to have one of of those!

Good attacking impetus first half.

Always nice to see a defender causing problems in the opposition box.

Bad:

Bertrand injured

Surrerended the initiative to Watford -better teams will (and already have) punished us this season.

Dusan not on the left :scared:

Would have liked to us stay attacking with Youth players coming off the bench towards the end -but we didn't have any.

Anyway, through to the next round, and Hopefully MP will learn his lesson for the Brighton game, which has become one of the Biggest of our season. COYS

Unfortunately he has shown zero ability to learn any lessons.

brain_full.gif

Yep, agree. My view of today was that we were just as likely to go 2 or 3 up as Watford were of equalising. I've been frustrated with Pellegrino's negative tactics as much as the next man, but I feel today was different. Previously, Pellegrino has gone negative for the sake of doing so. Today, he simply reacted to Watford's change in tactics. In other words, he did something we've all been crying out for.... read the game and react accordingly rather than making arbitrary negative changes. As you say, different perspectives and opinions is one of the beauties of football fandom....

But as the home side should we not be dictating tactics? Serious question.

Subs

Win - tick

Clean sheet - tick

Chances created - tick

Good summary ....agree 100%.

That take done by Boufal was sublime. The ball was a long high cross field pass which come down out of the air, he took it and killed the ball stone dead, turned and ran forward in one movement.....but the ball somehow slithered out of play. The guy has ridiculous skills. He should have had a Pen in the second half. It happened just in front of me and he was barged in the back and fell over, no way was it a dive of any kind so a clear foul which would have been given anywhere else on the pitch. He was getting a battering up front and I was actually relieved to see him come off and be preserved for Wednesday where his value will be much greater.

Subs

Win - tick

Clean sheet - tick

Chances created - tick

Thank you for an accurate, factual and sensible report.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

He made a mistake that day by not doing that.

If any Saints was watching today, watford had just brought on okaka and pereyna and were playing 3 LUMPS up front against out 2 CBs.

Exactly. When they were looking for the long ball they had four lumps pushed up at times. An inspired substitution from Mope that guaranteed the spoils. We march on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk